BYU football: Wait is over for Taysom Hill, BYU — Virginia is Cougars' 1st test

Comments

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 7:11 p.m.

So many questions for me with this team. I remember all the hype last year about the offensive line and was sorely disappointed. Holding my breath to see how this year's O-Line looks and how the adjustments in the secondary will pan out. Defensive front seven looks very strong. Teams will have a hard time controlling line of scrimmage and gaining yards on the ground.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 7:19 p.m.

So very glad the season is here! Go Cougars!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 30, 2013 9:17 p.m.

It will be interesting to see how BYU's Offensive Line and DBs look like Saturday. Not sure if Virginia has what it takes to exploit those question marks if they are as vulnerable as I suspect them to be. The Texas game will really be a barometer.

For Utah they showed me some offense, but as good as Keeton and USU are, I don't know if the Aggie defense tells me what I want to know about my Utes offense. Weber State won't prove anything. I am relatively confident against Oregon State and BYU, but more questions will be answered at that point (weeks 3 and 4).

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 9:41 p.m.

BYU needs to be play a near perfect game! Virginia won 4 games last year. LOL!

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Aug. 30, 2013 9:49 p.m.

This game will not be lost because of the offensive line or the defensive backs. They are important and they will handle their assignments.

The critical spots are the receivers, the running backs, the quarterback, the linebackers, and the defensive linemen.

The Y is loaded in those positions and they will win handily tomorrow and the 10-2 record for the season will be sooooo good.

GOOOOOOOOOO COUGARS

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Now! Let's really see how a Utah football team can play.

BYU is the University of Utah:

BYU 42
    Virginia 9

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:44 p.m.

@Jenny83
    ---How did your Aggies do against the U of U on Thursday?? That's what I thought! You have no room to talk at all.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 30, 2013 11:05 p.m.

Go Cougars make us proud!! Turn some heads back there on the East Coast.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 30, 2013 11:32 p.m.

@worf

BYU by 33 eh? That would put the Vegas line off by 32. Yeah it happens from time to time. Kind of like 'magic happens' as well.

You are really going out on a limb with this one worf. Once out there, ironically you might find Chris B. and you two could share grandiose stories conflicting with one another.

On the flip side. If you are right, then I would never delete this post record from your database. You could tell the grandchildren how BYU took Virginia to the woodshed.

The real barometer for BYU will come next week though at home vs. Texas. Although I wouldn't be shocked to see Virginia win tomorrow either.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    Aug. 31, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Lots of BYU shirts seen around Charlottesville this morning! We're excited! Go Cougs!!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:25 a.m.

@papi - U got the win against USU, but USU outplayed U from start to finish. Credit Whit who proved to be the better coach with his trickery, but USU had the better athletes. Enjoy week 1 and week 2 because it's going to be a long season after that.

I'm all aboard the Hill bandwagon. With so many tools at his disposal, there is no reason we shouldn't put up points this year. I only hope he "walks the talk" when it comes to taking hits. I expect there to be 5 or 6 designed run plays for him, and another 5 or 6 where the play breaks down and he takes off running. Hopefully his brain is stronger than adrenaline and slides or gets out of bounds instead of taking the hit. We need him for all 13 games this year.

I was counting months, then weeks, then days. Now it's down to only 6 more hours to wait. Go Cougs!

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Let's prove the haters wrong! Go Cougars!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:44 a.m.

@gdog3finally:

Got to think big.

Can't get too upset with Chris B, as he is a conservative, but misguided when it comes to football.

More realistic:

BYU 27
    Virginia 17

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:42 a.m.

BYU 52
    Virginia 10

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:43 a.m.

I predict that one of these teams will definitely win today.

I'd rather the winner be BYU with in blow out.

Either way the haters will soon be posting in force after the game to gloat about or to spin the results.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 1:23 p.m.

I have full confidence in the Cougars. I don't think the defense will allow them to be in the game by the fourth quarter. I allow believe the offense will prove to be up to the task and we'll see some wrinkles that will excite us for the rest of the season.

BYU 45

Virginia 28

• Xbalanque DC, VA
    Aug. 31, 2013 1:52 p.m.

BYU wahoos VA!

• clehman Sandy, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:22 p.m.

No White-Horse prophecy in Nov 2012, and now this. The National Championship will have to wait a year. That fastest 3-and-out offense in the country was pretty impressive.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:55 p.m.

LOL @ worf Mcallen, TX

"BYU is the University of Utah"

What are you smokin' boy? BYWHO is BYWHO.. I graduated from the University of Utah and I don't have a BYU anyplace on my Diploma....

By the way worf, you lost..... and you're prediction as well as all of your cohorts were totally wrong...

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:09 p.m.

I am not a hater but a lover of BYU. and I am not gloating over the BYU's failure to pull off the game. It was their classic crashing during the final minutes of the game on the goaline for which they are famous.Our defense was penetrated at will, plus we turned the ball over over as we often do.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:41 p.m.

Hill was recruited by Doman to run the option ...and it showed today in the loss to Virgina. 13-35 is pretty poor..even for a sophomore. Hill looks like a safety trying to play QB. All defenses have to do is play tight man defense and BYU has no chance. Hills throwing mechanics look awkward and his confidence reading defenses is ....lacking. If I am Bronco I am looking to let Robert Anae hand pick a recruit next year ...a drop back passer like Max Hall. Move Hill to defense and let him play safety. Seriously I think he would make a really good safety. Great athlete just has no feel for QB. 2013 looks to be an ugly year. It will get REALLY ugly next week with Texas.