Utah

Animal activists hold vigil for horse, call for ban on carriages downtown

Comments

• SomeClarityPlease Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:05 p.m.

Maybe the horses enjoy having something productive to do (pulling carriages) compared to other people that come to mind.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:17 p.m.

I do not understand how removing carriage horses will prevent them from dying. IF the object is to not allow horses to die on the street, are not humans equally important? Should we remove every human from the streets? Rest in peace Jerry. Thank you for your service.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Ban cars, ban bikes, ban planes, ban mountains, ban ....oh wait, hold on...ban people!!!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Most of us believe in freedom and live and let live.
    Why can't some people just go away and leave the rest of us alone?

Horses are expensive. Is a business really going to put that investment at risk?

Not a chance.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:43 p.m.

PETA doesn't want any interaction between humans and animals. If they had their way we wouldn't have pet dogs, cats, etc.

I am all for insuring that the horses are well cared for and that measures are taken to avoid injuries to the animals. But to ban the horses from serving downtown from one incident is over-reacting.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Horse health is best.
    Horse is healthier when working, instead of sitting around all day looking pretty.

Therefore, a working horse is a healthier horse.

The best way to care for animals isn't to protest other people who won't change their mind, nor pass laws to force people who won't be forced. The best way to care for animals isn't talking about how to care for animals.

The best way to care for animals... is to care for animals. If your priority is caring for animals, buy more animals and care for them. Any more or less than that isn't really caring for animals, but investing your time in something else.

• trueblue87 Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:40 p.m.

I disagree with Mr. Garrott's opinion that it is a problem that they can't suspend Carriage for Hire's license until they have evidence of not complying with ordinances. My question for him is: were you able to suspend or yank his license immediately only to later find out that there were no violations, would you compensate Carriage for Hire for the lost revenue for the time frame their license is suspended?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 28, 2013 2:55 a.m.

It would be nice if these PETA people put as much effort into Human Rights as they do animal rights.

That being said, when temperatures are 100, it is even hotter on paved streets. Maybe it is time to regulate conditions of which these animals work in.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Aug. 28, 2013 3:09 a.m.

A horse is a working animal. A carriage ride in SLC is a delightful and romantic event - especially on a crisp autumn night.

Yes please treat the animal correctly but stop imposing your view of the universe on the rest of us. If you really think this is an issue - buy up all the carriages and horses and either run it the way you think it should be run or close it down. You take the financial loss. In other words put up or shut up.

We have way to many laws - way too many. We certainly do not need one more banning the last link to a horse drawn past.

Besides, I figured you nice folks liked the idea of horses, no gas engines, nor CO2 and not traffic.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 5:49 a.m.

Up until just over 100 years ago, our ancestors relied upon horse-drawn carriages and horses in general for transportation. Along comes the iron horse and the horseless carriage and the poor old horse is now out to pasture and has lost it's high calling in life.

Give horses back their dignity. Let's do away with the cars and the bars and the wars!

• Lobotech Grantsville, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 5:58 a.m.

Seems some people have entirely too much spare time on their hands. The poor horse died, that is sad. Their answer? Lets all protest. Amazing.

• md Cache, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 6:06 a.m.

80 people with nothing better to do with their time. A horse died. Big deal.

How about protesting the killing of the WW2 veteran in the parking lot by two street thugs?

How about protesting healthcare reform which is bankrupting our country and ruining healthcare?

I should have gone downtown yesterday and protested silly protesters....wait....I had to work.

• SME Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 6:12 a.m.

"Until we can prove that they have violated part of our ordinance, we can't yank or even suspend their permits," he said. "That's a problem, and that needs to change."

He means the Salt Lake City council must follow the law and can't yank a business permit on a whim? Oh the horror. Surely it would much better if all businesses were at the whim of politicians responding to the protest du jour.

(That is sarcasm for those who are sarcasm impaired)

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 6:25 a.m.

From the uproar and protests, one would think that horses were dropping like flies on the streets of Salt Lake City. If we're to be consistent, we need to also call for a ban on motor vehicles in SLC the next time a pedestrian is hit by a car and ban trains as soon as someone wanders on the tracks and is hit by one. After all, both of those happen with far more frequency than the death of a horse whose demise might just as well have happened on a farm or ranch (the place where most horses with colic meet their maker).

Before backing PETA, keep in mind that they're the radical group that would ban you from eating meat or owning pets. Be wary of affiliating with them.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 6:39 a.m.

The USA is on the verge of being sucked into another war in the middle east and all that is on these peoples minds is Jerry?

I suspect that since Jerry was part of someone's business, he was probably cared for very well. Certainly he may have preferred a life in the wild, 20 years ago, but after so many years of pulling a cart he would not know how to live any other way. There is a saying about "Beating a dead horse" that comes to mind but is probably inappropriate to use in this comment (Out of respect for Jerry. But some how I do not think he would mind.). Maybe Jerry went out of this world doing what he loved to do. Would that we all could spend our last day doing what we love to do.

Anyway, people if you want to carry a sign, protest what is going on in Syria. Or, do we feel that that situation is hopeless and there is nothing that we can do about it, and protesting a dead horse is maybe the only thing we can influence some change.

• dustmagnet heber city, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 6:45 a.m.

I've owned horses for 40+ years. I've never seen a horse "colic" in the manner that Jerry did. Colicy horses get up and down, kick at their stomachs, etc. they don't just collapse and never get up again as a first symptom. His actions, to me, were not of colic but of some other illness, and it needs to be investigated.
    Should animals die needlessly and wastefully JUST so someone can profit from them? A Horses legs were not designed to take the stress of walking on hard asphalt or cement surfaces for extended periods of time. They are a herd animal, where they feel safest with other like kind around when stressed by noise, etc. What has happened to society, where the feelings and well being of others (including animals) no longer matter. Where it seems anything goes for personal gain.
    But lets look at this from a human point of view - we don't see humans out in 90+ degree heat with the unrelenting pollution of SLC pulling carts for 8 hours at a time with no choice in the matter.

• Rynn Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 28, 2013 7:25 a.m.

I will not condemn these people because they are only showing compassion for one of God's creatures. That is not a bad character trait.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 7:41 a.m.

dusty
    we don't see horses riding humans in any degree weather. your argument is odd

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:11 a.m.

Meanwhile, the butchering goes on in the Middle East.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:17 a.m.

As for working in the heat - I spent most of my youth on a construction site in unbelievable heat. I carried bricks, wheelbarrows, dug ditches and broke concrete with a sledge hammer. I remember many days soaring into the 110's. My boss would bark at us when we slowed down and used to tell me that I should thank him for each bead of sweat that fell off my nose and made me a man.

I, like the horse, worked because I had to (I had no choice either). I had rent to pay and was trying to go to school.

Oh and as for the pollution - I was working in San Bernardino CA, that's pollution. I did this for years before I finally graduated school. And while I moved on - trust me - there are countless people who still make a living working in the hot sun. Maybe you ought to focus your protests on their jobs.

But I am guessing that one who complains about the horse working in the heat has probably spent his or her life in the cool air conditioned rooms of a school or office, not on a construction site.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:38 a.m.

SME; I appreciate your sarcasm, and I find the whole premise terrifying. If the city can yank a business liscense because of a complaint by a citizen with no review whether any codes or ordinances have been violated, makes me shudder. thank you for pointing this out

one other thing, next to this article was an advertisement for insurance for horse colic, stating that possibly 500,000 horses or more this year could suffer from colic. sounds like it is an epidemic and we should be investing billions of dollars in research to alleviate that problem.

dustmagnet; if you think that the cause of death needs to be investigated beyond what it has been, perhaps you'd be willing to pay for the necropsy.

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Garrott says it's a problem that the city is constrained by the law in whether to suspend a license. That's not a bug; it's a feature.

Licenses issued by the state instead of the city (e.g. a physician's license) allow for suspension if the licensee is engaged in "communication which is false, misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent" (Utah Code 58-1-501.2(h)), so the problem is really that the city's ordinance doesn't include a similar provision, not the fact that the city needs to follow its own rules.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Perhaps working conditions for these animals should be looked in to. But to close down an entire institution is a bit extreme. These horses actually enjoy being active. The one person commenting about such activists spending their lives in air conditioned rooms was probably pretty accurate in their assessment.

A couple of years ago, a well known celebrity purchased thousands of turkeys bound for the supermarkets and put them on a ranch to live out their lives. This person got a lot of cheers from well meaning people. Problem is, turkeys that are raised and butchered for Thanksgiving are engineered. They gain weight rapidly and will do so until, in less than a year, grow so large they crush their own legs -- so much for a nice retirement at a turkey refuge.

Most of us; including animals, were intended to do more than surf the internet and argue about the conditions of some while ignoring the tragedies faced by others. There is nothing wrong with work. Just make sure it is productive and not destructive.

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Hot places where horses have traditionally been used:

Egypt

Nevada
    St. George

Hard Streets?
    Like cobblestones?

• frederico454 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:18 a.m.

When Thumper was talking to Bambi and Bambi said something that made Thumper laugh, that really cracked me up. That Thumper has quite the sense of humor. Oh wait! That's just a Disney cartoon isn't it! I keep forgetting that the animals really don't talk to each other.

It's time boys and girls to step back into real life. Had Jerry been roaming around 150 years ago, he would have been struggling to pull a plow, or a big, heavy wagon loaded with hay or wood or rock or whatever else his owner had in mind for him that day. I suspect pulling a carriage along nicely paved, smooth streets beats the heck out of what his ancestors before him had to deal with.

Why not grow up and find something worth whining about. Our kids are going to inherit a mess and complaining about the death of a horse, while tragic and I've cried myself to sleep ever since I heard about it, is a remarkable waste of time.

• Moabmom Moab, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:30 a.m.

I hope someone is investigating the threats and bullying tactics that these Peta people are doing to the business owner. Peta is just another side of the radical environmentalist coin. They don't like that animals emit CO2 just like people do. While purporting to be about caring for animals, it is a fact that they euthanize animals at their 'care centers' at an alarming rate. They lobby for and push for more and more regulations for pet owners and businesses that use animals in their operation. It's not about the horses, it's about control and destroying this man's business.

• bricha lehi, ut
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Like many have said, I am all for treating animals with respect, but seriously! When every child has a decent chance in life, with adequate food and shelter, then I will take up the cause of the horses/dogs/whatever.

• Jimmer77 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:45 a.m.

A vigil for a horse? How stupid can it get?

Mind your own business. Spend that excess energy on making life better for humans not making more ridiculous laws.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:50 a.m.

I don't know much about this issue, but if it is cruel or harmful to the horses, then I think the carriages should be banned.

• Old Paint St. George, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:59 a.m.

The sad truth is that the horses' choice isn't between pulling carriages and living an idyllic life grazing in a pasture. The real choice is between pulling a carriage or being slaughtered and eaten by cultures like the French, who consider horsemeat a delicacy. With the present financial troubles, horse rescues are overwhelmed and unable to help. Domestic horses are having their shoes pulled and being dumped on the desert with the mustangs, where domestic horses are unlikely to survive. Look on Craigslist. People are giving them away, begging.

The Federal Government, against the wishes of the People and in response to the many horses being abandoned by jobless owners, is making horse slaughter in the US again legal. So that is these animals fate, realistically. Is pulling a carriage preferable? Well, if you were unemployed and there were no charity available, would you starve jobless or would you flip burgers? I suspect the horses would happily flip burgers- pull a carriage.

Jerry looked like he was a proper weight, but horses keel over of the same ailments that fell humans midstride. It's sad, but it doesn't mean he wasn't well cared for or loved.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Hmm, Lets see. Ban horses from SLC streets because one died there in lets see how many years of having the horses on the streets maybe 30 years. Well, now Peta and Amy how about picketing horse racing because of the recent death of a horse in a race. Come on Peta and Amy stand up for those poor horses. Here is my name for Peta: people exposing there arrogance (childish arrogance at that).

• PIguy SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 12:22 p.m.

The loss of a horse, working or for pleasure, is sad for the owner. I have never met a horse owner, who uses them regularly, to mistreat their horse. Most stay up all night working with a sick horse.

I don't know the carriage owners, but I am sure they love their horses and take care of them.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:01 p.m.

This is strange, when was the last time a horse died from downtown slc? Jerry was the first but it wasn't from downtown. He had some health issue non related to work at downtown. Give Hires some slack and go away. Let Hires continue with his buisness at downtown. Horses like to do stuff rather than sitting behind the fence.

• KSUBYU Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:36 p.m.

A horse dies, very sad, but where is the proof that this animal or any of the other horses are being mistreated? These people will use any excuse to express their liberal out of touch views.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Aug. 28, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Have carriages pulled by two horses instead of one horse.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 2:33 p.m.

At a time when we wish remove motor vehicles from our streets and encourage the use of alternative transportation, it seems odd to ban horse carriages from the downtown area.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    Aug. 28, 2013 5:42 p.m.

Two things:

1. Those who talk about "animal rights" are devaluing human rights?

2. If Jerry hadn't been pulling a carriage, what would he have been doing? Horses are domestic animals.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 7:12 p.m.

Oh that poor horse. Too bad he didn't die in his stable then this huge carnival would not be taking place. But one dead horse does not constitute animal abuse. Nor does it give the right for those animal rights activists to harass a perfectly good business, so much so that they want to put it out of business. They are being ridiculous. I hope that they yell "wolf" once too often and people will start to ignore them. Those horses look healthy and well-taken care of. It should be illegal to put such a stress on the owners. They not only lost a huge asset and a beautiful animal, but they have to put up with the garbage those animal activists are dishing out. This is "much ado about nothing".

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:02 p.m.

On my farm growing up, animals not used for work were for eating. Should we just let the domestic animals go wild?

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:06 p.m.

My mailman walks everywhere in the heat carrying heavy packages. We should free the mailman.

• mmaddox76 Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 9:01 a.m.

It is very sad when an animal dies from exhaustion and I'm sorry that this horse did. I wonder if the protesters' compassion extends to other unnecessary deaths, such as aborted fetuses?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 9:39 a.m.

These horses have something these protestors would never consider.....A JOB!

• raybies Layton, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:57 a.m.

The protesters need a song, I suggest they watch Parks and Recreation, and maybe adapt the song for "Little Sebastian".

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Curious if PETA mentioned that they euthanize more animals every year, than any other organization in the US. Doubt it.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Once again the Peta people are being silly and doing a terrific job of providing comedic relief for my hectic day.

Inhumane for a horse to pull a carriage? Soon they will be screaming that I make my dog bury his own bones.

• FranziskaE Seattle, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 11:12 p.m.

Walter Gunn, a neighbor of Jerry's owners, said, "“They care very much for their animals, and the animals are work horses. I can't believe that the animals aren't happy working most of the time.” What do you mean, they are "work horses"? You mean they are animals who have been forced to work to make a buck for humans, that is all. Horses are not "work horses" any more than dogs are "work dogs" or we are "work people". They have their own lives and friends and interests and VALUE, quite independent of what some person decided to squeeze out of them for selfish purposes. Carriage horses aren't necessary. People can walk, bike, take public transport, or drive. There is no compassionate reason for any animal to live a crappy life of hard, hot work that THEY DID NOT CHOOSE just so tourists can sit in a stupid carriage.