Utah

University of Utah athletic tickets to serve as UTA fare

Comments

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Well, at least there is some value in the season ticket; a free ride.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:40 p.m.

More free rides for the U.

• gowestbc South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:42 p.m.

I rode Trax after a game once. Waited forever for a train amoung tons of people. A free ticket was definately not worth the wait.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Sounds like a cheap way to get a ride on the train...I'd have to guess a U ticket is less expensive than a train ride, isn't it?

• UC UTE Lehi, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 3:43 p.m.

What a progressive idea. The U and UTA have made great strides in getting fans to and from the games in the last 2 years with the additions of more trains, buses and know use of game day tickets for tickets. Keep up the good work.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 4:38 p.m.

I think this is a good thing for multiple reasons. One is that the parking situation around the stadium, around the entire campus really, is simply awful. It is so poorly thought out and designed that you almost can't park within walking distance so the less people trying to crowd into what little parking is available the better.

Then of course the university in its infinite wisdom continues to take space that could be parking and turns it into something else. Build some parking garages.

Then of course you have the huge percentage of tailgaters/drunks that attend utah games and they have no business driving after the game although many of them still do, getting them off the roads is a definite win for the community.

Of course riding those trains is no joyful experience as none of them leave until they are full and then you are packed in like a sardine but this is probably the best thing to do so the university should be commended for doing it.

• agb Layton, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Makes sense. Show your U bball ticket and get a free 'transfer.'

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:51 p.m.

This is good thinking, but was a long time coming. UTA is improving, but still has a ways to go to being efficient. Never been to New York, but I've been to Chicago, which I imagine is somewhat similar, and public transit is an efficient option for everyone, even those with cars. While I doubt things like this happen the same way in those cities, I remember a few going to a UW in Seattle and King County Transit had buses shuttle people for free from a dozen locations around the city and suburbs to Husky Stadium and back, with or without a ticket, whether they were going to the game or not. It seemed to me to be very efficient, and great for the University to accommodate their football attendance, and this one should, too.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:56 p.m.

This is amazing. Trax is becoming a multi-faceted boost for Ute sports.

First it was mentioned that it was a great recruiting tool and now this.

Ute ingenuity is leading the way.

Who could have imagined?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 7:13 p.m.

Typo. 4th line should read "a few years ago going to a football game at UW"

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 7:46 p.m.

Duckhunter,

LOL! You've got me rolling on the floor. I'll stack the caliber of teams we have comiing to RES this year against any home schedule BYU has ever put up. Can't wait until the Holy War, but first we've got to take care of the Aggies.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 12:54 a.m.

@duck w ruffled feathers

"But what an awful place to try to attend a game, it definitely doesn't seem worth it. Especially considering the product."

LOL would I have this much bitter angst if my product had lost to my rival's product 8 out of the last 11 games? Doubt it, but I'm glad I'll never have to find out.

GO UTES!!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Let's examine some of your statements and allow me to make some corrections.

"Build some parking garages."

The U is building a big parking garage right now as part of the $125 million Ambulatory Care Center at the Med Center. When completed and if it is open to fans on game days fans can ride Trax to the Huntsman Center or RES. The U has made two attempts to build a parking garage on or adjacent to President's Circle. One proposal was underground the other above ground. Both proposals have been rejected by the students and their elected representatives. At the U students have a voice in these matters and the administration listens.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:26 a.m.

It won't be long before a UTA ticket will be good for free admission to RES.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Duckhunter (con'd),

"Then of course you have the huge percentage of tailgaters/drunks that attend utah games..."

3 percent of 46,000 fans would be about 1,400 intoxicated fans. That seems very high to me based on my 40 years of experience attending U football games. Even if correct, 3 percent is not a huge percentage. The facts are, alcohol is not allowed in your possession anywhere on the U campus and it is not sold at RES. So a fan would have to arrive intoxicated and manage to get by security at the gate where they inspect everything and only allow one 1 liter bottle of water and navigate among all the other fans who can send a text message to security alerting them about any intoxicated fans and misbehavior. Security does respond and will remove misbehaving or intoxicated fans, all 1,400 (3 percent)of them if that many. Cheers.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:32 a.m.

funny how many jealous trolls posted comments.

perhaps if Utah county had not so often voted against extending trax into their county, the trolls could get a similar deal to their stadium. Frontrunner is extending down there now - who knows, you may have hope one day.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:05 a.m.

@dutchman

Whether it is students rejecting it or not the fact remains they aren't getting built. You know as well as I do that getting to and from res is a nightmare, why try to pretend otherwise? And there is no chance the parking structure for the Med center will not be used for game parking, med centers don't shut down for football games, they need their parking. I know most of you didn't like the jabs I took in my post but the fact is I am right about the parking and travel siution for the games up there, it is very bad and the utah fans I know complain about it incessantly.

@lost in dc

We don't need trax in Provo, there is plenty of parking and good access to the stadium. Not to mention you can walk to LES from almost anywhere in Provo in about 15 minutes.

I was just having some fun with the parking and traffic situation at res, but we all know it's bad so there really isn't much for you to come back with.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:34 a.m.

Duckhunter (con'd),

3 percent of 46,000 fans would be about 1,400 intoxicated fans. That seems very high to me based on my 40 years of experience attending U football games. Even if correct, 3 percent is not a huge percentage. The facts are, alcohol is not allowed in your possession anywhere on the U campus and it is not sold at RES. So a fan would have to arrive intoxicated and manage to get by security at the gate where they inspect everything and only allow one 1 liter bottle of water and navigate among all the other fans who can send a text message to security alerting them about any intoxicated fans and misbehavior. Security does respond and will remove any intoxicated or misbehaving fans, all 1,400 (3 percent) if that many. Cheers.

BTW, where do you propose a parking garage for RES be built? Across the street in the Olivet Cemetary? LOL Have you ever tried to get out of a parking garage after a big event?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:43 a.m.

@dutchman

3% is low, extremely low. Just walk through any of the tailgate lots. Just because alcohol is not allowed to be brought in doesn't mean they don't tie one on before coming in, and yes A LOT of them do. I've been there, I've seen it, and I KNOW many of them that do it.

Now that said I really don't care if they do, go have some fun that is what it is all about, but it doesn't change the fact they shouldn't be driving so let's hope they use the trax instead.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I will say it if no one else will, I wish UTA and BYU would work our a similar arrangement.

We did take UTA once before Front runner. We took the express bus from South Towne with a free pass and it was enjoyable to avoid the crowded roads (pre I-15 remodel). It's a longer trip for UTA to carry the extra load than to the U of U but then the benefits would be more significant too.

Since 25,000 people travel from North of Utah County for each game it would be very helpful and it would fill UTA's mandate to relieve highway pressure and pollution.

Get on it UTA

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Dutchman

"The facts are, alcohol is not allowed in your possession anywhere on the U campus and it is not sold at RES. So a fan would have to arrive intoxicated and manage to get by security at the gate where they inspect everything and only allow one 1 liter bottle of water and navigate among all the other fans who can send a text message to security alerting them about any intoxicated fans and misbehavior."

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Have you ever perused RES after a football game to see all of the disgarded "beverage" containers? Have you ever walked through the Utah tailgating area to observe all of the "beverages" being consumed?

The truth is, there are thousands of "buzzed" Utah fans at every Utah football game and RES security turns a blind eye to them as long as they aren't physically attacking other fans. Verbal barrages are completely ignored.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Dutchman

"The facts are, alcohol is not allowed in your possession anywhere on the U campus and it is not sold at RES."

Don't be so naive.

How hard is it, really, to slip 3 or 4 mini bottles into your jeans pockets to add to your "soft drink" once inside the stadium?

It's not like RES security frisks anybody entering the stadium and nobody is going to report a fellow Utah fan for pouring a little something extra into their soft drink.

Whether you want to believe it or not, alcohol is consumed in great quantities before and during every football game in RES.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Duckhunter,

plenty of parking and good access - that's why I-15 backs up to Murray when TDS has a game during the week. yep, no need for mass transit!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 12:51 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Do you really expect us to believe parking and access to LES is any better than RES? LOL! I've been there and it isn't. I've heard many Cougar fans complain. I have one neighbor who goes to every home game and it usually takes him 45 minutes to get out of Provo after the games end. I'm home 25 miles away in less time than that and I usually ride Trax part of the way. I've talked to a lot of BYU fans who walk to a restaurant close by for a bite to eat after the games rather than fight the traffic. I've also hear a lot of ads for shuttles to take people from the malls in the surrounding area to the stadium. Doesn't sound like BYU has done any better job of providing parking for their fans. So where are all the parking garages at BYU? Oh, I forgot, I shouldn't ask you any questions. I'm on your ignore list so you won't respond.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Many of the fans in the tail gate lots are there for the duration having fun as you say and never come over to the stadium because they will be turned away by security if they are the least bit tipsy. I have personally witnessed security turning away fans. SLC police observe the fans as they leave the tail gate lots and the officers are very tough on DUI enforcement. I spent 29 years in the military so I am definately not naive. Though I do not drink I have been around alcohol most of my life. Yes, I have seen the discarded bottles in the men's restroom after the games but that hardly is evidence that thousands and thousands of fans have been drinking. I have also taken the Trax trains after the games in the sardine cramped conditions and I have never smelled alcohol on anyone. I look forward to the game on Thursday and a big win over the Aggies.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:11 p.m.

lost in DC

Unlike Utah, BYU isn't a commuter school, so building a TRAX system to BYU would be an enourmous waste of resources for a system that would only be used a few times per month.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:53 p.m.

One thing that Mormonute fails to remember is that LES hold a lot more fans that RES. So yes it could take a bit longer for all of the thousands of BYU living in SLC Fans to get home. I wonder how many Utah fans travel up from Provo? I think they would all fit in a Yugo.

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Mormon Ute

You're forgetting, LES holds 20,000 fans MORE than RES. If parking is already a huge problem at the U, what's it going to be like IF they ever expand RES?

The vast majority of fans attending games at LES park less than a 5 minute walk from the stadium.

We usually end up parking several blocks away from RES when we attend the BYU-Utah game. At LES, we park a block away, and with a little hustle after the game, we can be home within 25 minutes after the game ends.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 2:44 p.m.

Dutchman

I've attended BYU-Utah games at RES since the 80's and have personally witnessed an obviously extremely drunk Utah fan screaming at BYU fans 20 rows behind him throughout the game and physically accosting an aged BYU fan as he walked down the stairs prior to the game without anything being done to stop him. I have personally witnessed Utah fans drinking openly from alcohol bottles during games on many occassions. I've even had Utah fans apologize to me for the behavior of some of their fellow fans.

To claim that those are isolated incidents is not only extremely naive, but a complete denial of reality.

Nobody is claiming those Utes fans represent a majority of Utah fans, but they do represent a significant minority.

I've never had even the slightest concern taking my grandsons to a game at LES.

I wouldn't even consider taking them to a game at RES.

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 2:55 p.m.

Parking at the U has always been a nightmare on normal school days, and is even worse on game days. TRAX has only helped to compensate for some of the lost parking space, but I haven't seen any plans whatsoever to add parking as part of any future plans to expand RES, so Utah's parking problem is only going to get worse.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Phantomblade

the trax system is not there just to provide transportation to and from a stadium. There are residences surrounding LES, I guess those residences have no need of public transportation. There are NO residents in Utah county - none of them need public transportation.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 11:57 a.m.

lost in DC

I guess you've never of buses being used for public transportation. Provo/Orem has a very good bus system that serves the public transportation need just fine. A TRAX system would simply clog the roadways around BYU with tracks and loading platforms without providing any better transportation service than is already being provided by buses.