Utah

Utah missionary dies after being hit by car in Malaysia

Comments

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 1:16 a.m.

I am a cyclist. When I ride on city streets I'm always straining to figure out what is going on behind me. My daughter who is also is a cyclist has come to think riding a bike in traffic is totally nuts - "it's just a matter of time before you are in an incident with a car." Though it's to late to help this young man, maybe the Church needs to take another look at bike safety. I know they watch these things all the time, but maybe it's time for another look. Meanwhile, I feel terribly for this young man's family.

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 2:51 a.m.

Sad news. We send condolences to the family.

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:58 a.m.

God bless Elder Wiberg's family. May they be comforted and blessed knowing a joyful reunion awaits them. My heart goes out to them!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Aug. 26, 2013 6:13 a.m.

The Church has got to get Elders off bikes. From a doctrinal standpoint the work has to "move forward". But no on bikes. It doesn't need bicycles to a. jeopardize the lives of young men. b. make them look foolish with their idiotic packs and helmets. and c. it takes away their ability to walk, talk and socialize with those they would miss while riding down the road. It's time for someone to get smart.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 26, 2013 6:35 a.m.

Yet again, another tragic news of a missionary killed on his mission. My heart aches for the parents and his family and pray for them to find peace and comfort during this difficult time.

My brother and sister-in-law are serving in the same mission and have been working with this young man in the same branch in Bintulu, Malaysia. They emailed the family and told us and asked that we remember Elder Wiberg in our prayers. They're all devasted because he's apparently a much loved young man in their little branch. So sad, yet the work must go on! RIP, Elder Wiberg!

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:19 a.m.

I am sad that this incident happened but with the knowledge this missionary's parents have and their attitude at such a moment are due to their belief in God's plan.

The newspapers are doing a service to help improve safety and health for missionaries as it is such an important aspect in life. With a city of missionaries worldwide, it is critical for parents to know and to emphasize to their sons and daughters to be cautious. The Church does so much to emphasize safety, health and security to missionaries and their leaders in all the different languages to ensure missionaries can do their work they were called to do.

I am thankful God has His plan for us in aspects of our existence.

Thanks for people who serve others that they may know His plan in all phases of life.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:37 a.m.

RED - Maybe the readers would like to know about this. I did. So try to read around this news and let the rest of us carry on.

• KinCO Fort Collins, CO
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:51 a.m.

MrRed - since this story is currently #2 on the DNews most-popular list, obviously lots of people are interested. That is why it is reported. If you are not interested, why did you click on it? The beauty of the internet--you only have to read what you are interested in.

My condolences to this young man's family. We all mourn with you.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:53 a.m.

MrRed, Have you every heard of "scanning" ? ? ?

Try it sometime. Those stories you don't like or want to read, you can skip. I hope you don't turn on a TV and just sit and watch whatever station it is on without turning it to find something you want to watch!

Sad story! I love the attitude of the family as hard as it is for them. May their faith grow and their hearts be gladdened by the knowledge they gain. I am so sorry for your loss.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:56 a.m.

My sincerest condolences to the family. May God give them peace.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 8:05 a.m.

My condolences to the family of this fine young man. my prayers are with you.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 8:34 a.m.

It just breaks my heart every time I read about one of our choice and willing missionaries that have died serving Heavenly Father. I hope he did not suffer and pray that the Lord's choicest blessings will be upon his family and extended family and friends. He is certainly in a much better place filled with love and peace.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:24 a.m.

My heart grieves with this family. I agree with the post of getting elders off bikes. There is other ways to get around most cities have mass transit and if they need a ride some were members can supply that.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:30 a.m.

I am saddened of what happen and rest in peace. I am not going to judge of what went wrong of those missionaries when riding bikes. This summer I saw two missionaryies on bikes crossing 4-way street diagonally near Quarry Bend (near 7th east and 90th/94th ski connection, Sandy, Ut). What were they thinking and they were showing poor examples to anyone. Should they stick with cars and walking?

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:57 a.m.

If you think about it, while it may sound like there are "a lot" of missionary deaths, it really is quite a low number in proportion to the 75,000 out there. Serving a mission is still a very safe way to spend those two years.

And considering that missionaries are set apart to the Lord, it really is up to Him if he takes them home or not. He can save them from accidents, or he can extend their missions on the other side.

A mission is still the very best place to be.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:18 a.m.

We are hearing of more deaths now that the mission force has increased. It makes my heart sad when a young missionary is killed, but I also am glad that they went in such a positive stage in their lives. Death is hard and my heart goes out to this family and the others who have lost a missionary recently, but I do not doubt that they find comfort knowing that their child died in such a great service. I can only imagine the great missionary work that this young man is now doing.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:37 a.m.

Riding a bike in a congested city area - especially overseas where the traffic rules are largely ignored - is inherently dangerous. That is a fact. My son was hit by a car in Miami on his mission and fortunately he ended with only some scrapes and bruises. I have to concur with many who have posted here that bikes ought to be done away with on missions but then I think in a more practical manner and there just isn't any way to get around other than bikes in many places in the world so....I guess we are stuck with bikes and their danger. This is so very heart breaking and sad to lose your son on his mission and this family I'm certain is devastated even with the comfort of the gospel. The age old question keeps on coming up - why doesn't the Lord protect his missionaries? Good question but unfortunately there is no answer. Life is life and bad things happen to good people. You try to be as careful as you can and then go forward and hope for the best. I suspect we will find the answer on the other side some day.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Im so sorry! I hope that you can find peace at this incredibly difficult time.

• aspen Bellevue, WA
    Aug. 26, 2013 12:10 p.m.

There is too much traffic on the road now for cycling to be safe. I would be very concerned if my children were expected to cycle on their missions. It is time to do away with bikes for missionaries.

• Pac_Man Pittsburgh, PA
    Aug. 26, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Very sad. We will probably hear more of these stories unfortunately as a result of more missionaries serving in the field.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Aug. 26, 2013 1:11 p.m.

I don't know why god doesn't protect missionaries who are out to serve him. It is a tragedy and my thoughts are with the family.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Aug. 26, 2013 2:31 p.m.

As a missionary in Rio de Janeiro in 1971, I would have been thrilled to be able to ride a bike. We walked many miles between bus stops, and were on our feet the entire day. However, even as pedestrians we ran a great risk of being hit by cars. One of the Elders in our mission was nearly killed when he was hit by a bus. Everyone was agreed that the Brazilian traffic was just too eratic for us to ride bikes. The Lord is watching over His servants, and those that are conducted into Paradise have a work to do, probably with their own ancestors, bearing a testimony "for the anges to look upon."

• colleen peters Portage, MI
    Aug. 26, 2013 2:32 p.m.

I so empathize with this family. Our son was struck by a taxi while serving a mission in Japan but thankfully he survived. Thanks to his companion, mission leaders who had him moved to Kobe with a broken back. Three months in traction and still in pain but he finished his mission and so will this young missionary, just in a better place. Such sorrow but joy to know he still is serving our Lord.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 2:48 p.m.

re:Brahmabull

I have to agree with you. There have been several tragedy's in the past year of missionaries and the thought of losing your son or daughter while they are simply serving others is horrific and mystifying. No answers. I do recall on my mission in Alaska many years ago being saved from harm ...or worse... and I am left to wonder why I was spared while so many others are not. No answers. The age old question of why do bad things happen to good people goes unanswered.

• Forrestc Greenway, AR
    Aug. 26, 2013 2:50 p.m.

AS WE SAY GOODBYE

He left with dreams of changing hearts,
    one soul at a time.
    He was following his Savior’s footsteps,
    and seeking out the blind.

And though today we mourn his loss,
    we know eternity waits.
    He still is serving the God he loves
    beyond the golden gate.

So look to the sky for rainbows of love
    for he is waiting there;
    someday you’ll will walk with him again
    and climb up heavens’ stairs.

© Forrest Phelps-Cook

• Cool Headed Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Thank you to the Wiberg family. The value of your son's service and faithfulness cannot be measured in silver or gold. May heaven bless you with the tender mercies you deserve.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 3:15 p.m.

I seen a man get hit a few blocks from my house, right here in Salt Lake. It can happen anywhere? The important thing is that he was doing what he wanted to do and it was something good. If we had to choose the moment, it would never happen. God bless his parents and family. Even though you know he is ok, realty is also hard. They have to feel the pain. The more we love someone., the greater the pain of losing them. God bless you

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Aug. 26, 2013 4:31 p.m.

First of all. Condolences to the family. I'm impressed with their public statements.

Secondly. It is frustrating that when ever tragedy strikes, so many gravitate towards eliminating something. Let's do away with bikes. More people die every year in car accidents - usually due to a drunk driver - but we never talk about getting rid of booze. But if someone slips in the tub, then destroy them all; everyone shower. A missionary was hit while crossing the street - make it so no one is allowed to cross streets.

Its noble to want to prevent future accidents, but our efforts are better aimed at increasing skills rather than eliminating something from the world. If we are going to eliminate anything, let's eliminate ill will and hatred. We might still need bicycles.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Aug. 26, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Patriot -

Yes this is one of the main things I struggle with - why are some spared and some aren't? I have come down to only one conclusion - that it is the luck of the draw. I can't see a god who allows lives to be taken so young while their families pray with faith for their safety, while sparing another life. It doesn't make sense. I don't buy the whole theory of "he had missionary work to do on the other side" - if god needed missionary work done on the other side I doubt he would let a young man be killed in order to fulfill that. That is not a god that I would believe in.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 6:18 p.m.

It must be one of the world's greatest sorrows to lose a precious son. When the son is serving a call he received from the Lord, the sorrow especially becomes even more heart-rending and could cause us to question our own reality. Except the reality that life goes on, that, as President Monson said that death is only putting out the candle so one can greet the beautiful dawn, skirts our consciousness. The reality that this son of God walked into the bright light of eternity while leaving this veil of tears behind is perhaps little comfort to us, who can only see through the glass darkly. But hope, the hope of a bright future, of a brighter day in realms of glory gives some light to our dark world. The excruciating sorrow which we must go through is, in a small way, comparable to the suffering and sorrow of our Savior while he was suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and later on the Cross. He did this so we could have comfort in the most tragic circumstance and feel the arms of His love. May God bless and comfort his family.

• Grandma 20 Allen, TX
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:38 p.m.

My deepest condolences to the family of Elder Wiberg, and may our dear Heavenly Father wrap you in the arms of His great love that you may find great peace and comfort.

• Silini reno, NV
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:04 p.m.

My condolences to the Wiberg's family. I have a daughter out on the field I pray for her safety every day but if it God's will to take her home during her mission I would be very honor that Havenly Father is taking her back home. Really, I will do miss her so much though. Elder Wiberg's is going straight to haven, he's so so lucky. May God Bless the Wiber's and comfort them through this sudden going away of their son Jason. Bless you all my brother's and sister's.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:35 p.m.

God bless this young man's family. You're in our prayers.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Aug. 27, 2013 8:11 a.m.

My son is serving in the same mission. My heart goes out to this Elder's poor family - I know it would absolutely devastate us if something happened to our son. My son did mention in his letter that he will be more careful on his bike so that may be a positive thing to come out of this tragedy if it helps the other missionaries be more careful.

There are now 75,000 missionaries serving so accidents will happen from time to time. My prayers are with the family.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:15 p.m.

This is sad news. Religious missionaries throughout history have always been targets of opportunity.

• Drewinutah Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 12:25 a.m.

I knew Elder Wiberg during his early days here in Malaysia. A gentle heart, a strong soul, and one thing I told he and his companion often was that their parents wold be proud of not just what they were doing, but also how they conduct themselves. Elder Wiberg asked to take a photograph with me before I returned to the States on a trip. I have it posted on my Facebook now.

The real story, I think, however, is that Elder Wiberg was an organ donor, and in the sadness of his death, perhaps we can feel some comfort in knowing that through his sacrifice, at least six people in Malaysia have received the blessings of renewed lives.

Elder Wiberg came here to serve the Lord. I'd say he followed every aspect of what it means to be "Christ-LIKE." Elder Wiberg gave everything--literally--to serving his God.

Were we all to leave such a profound legacy.

• Digomart Evansville, IN
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:04 p.m.

I am wondering why missionaries in Malaysia are riding bikes when taxis are plentiful and very cheap. I have driven in Malaysia myself and the traffic isn't terribly crazy by Asian standards. But, it doesn't seem to me to be worth the danger when the expense of a cab is so minimal. How unfortunate.