BYU football: Sophomore quarterback Taysom Hill set to lead BYU offense at Virginia

Comments

• BigDaddyCoug SARATOGA SPRINGS, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 6:02 p.m.

Is it Saturday yet?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 6:30 p.m.

Having watched Taysom during the spring (When he was held out) he was doing very well. Since Fall camp started he has been awesome and is back to full speed I don't see the QB as being a problem this year. Olsen is doing just as well and Stewart is only a fracton behind.
    There are still a few spots for the coaches to keep their eye on but for the fans, just do whatever works for you in the superstition department and...
    Go Cougars.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 6:44 p.m.

Hill was awesome last year. Had he stayed healthy BYU would have been much more effective against ND and SJSU perhaps winning both of those instead of barely coming up short. Hill has the right skill set to make the plays needed. He also has a good slide technique we Cougar fans want to see a bit more of.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 8:42 p.m.

On a site for BYU fans and about BYU athletes, I can say, "I wish Taysom Hill the very best in the coming season." It sounds like he is much more mature and really ready to be the leader this team needs. We are looking forward to a great year.

Go Cougars!

• mountainflying Logan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 8:50 p.m.

I give Taysom 3 or 4 games and then I think he'll start to develop some serious knee problems..His knees are quite fragile..

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 9:27 p.m.

@mountainflying

"I think he'll start to develop some serious knee problems".

Okay, some one needs to have you tell us your credentials on this because everything coming from Taysom, his coaches, his trainers and his team mates is that he leg is stronger and problem free.
    He never had problems in high school with his knee and it was a demostrable hit that could be attributed to the cause of his injury.
    I personally have seen him run, cut, change direction and do so without problem and very fast even wearing a brace required by the trainers (BYU standard procedure)

So Please tell us about your personal examinations, your interviews, your medical data or whatever would drive you to make this observation.

You're up.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 25, 2013 9:51 p.m.

He is bound to be far better that what we were subjected two most of last year. At least, he can throw the ball further than 15 yards. He seems to be a student of the defense, and seems prone to make quick decisions. My concern is that he still may be too prone to run the ball. I wish him very well. We'll see how he does in this new/old offense. I would never have associated the word "creative" with our present offensive coordinator but perhaps he learned a lot just getting away from BYU for a couple of years. Like most fans, I certainly am excited to see the season get started.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 9:55 p.m.

Re: mountainflying

You'd have knee problems too if a strong safety crashed head first into your knee cap at full speed. Taysom Hill doesn't have "knee problems." He got hurt, now he's healthy, simple as that.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 25, 2013 10:22 p.m.

Re: mountainflying

Wishful thinking. Which, if true, is really sad.

• JazzUteFan SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 25, 2013 11:09 p.m.

I think Taysom is going to be a very good quarterback. I haven't seen much of him throwing the ball and that would be my only concern if I were a Courgar fan. I wouldn't worry too much cause his athleticism is ridiculous and I'm glad the U is getting a break from the Cougars after this year. The Y's offense will be very good if he can prove he can throw the ball, and when he, Williams and the O-line continue to grow the next two years who knows what will happen.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 1:26 a.m.

With Taysom Hill as QB and Robert Anae as OC, I see the Cougars winning eight games this season, which, considering their schedule, is the best BYU can hope for. Oh, and as long as one of those eight wins is against the school up north.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:58 a.m.

Well, at least we know that BYU will get better play out of the QB position than last year, which was a complete disaster due to having a mediocre QB playing with a broken back. It looks like we have a decent back-up QB as well in case Hill gets injured.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:33 a.m.

Holding out hope that Hill's knee is fine and that good things are about to happen. I can't wait to see them this Saturday at Virginia! We'll know right then if Chris B's prediction of 4-0 against our seniors is going to come true or not. That could be my own personal bowl game, the one against the Utes!

Here's the scenario: We beat them, they go on to win their conference division, play and win the Rose and become new top dog in the Pac 12. Coach KW solidifies his legacy and secures his job as Ute's coach for many years to come. Dang, what could be sweeter? Chris B and his buddies can diss all they want to from then on and it won't hurt one bit anymore.

Go Cougars! Go Utes too, but not so much against my cougars!

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:08 a.m.

@mountainflying

"I think he'll start to develop some serious knee problems".

Bad form from a wishful hater.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:57 a.m.

Consider this explanation of mountainflying's vainful wish:
    1) Note where he/she is from.
    2) After 4 games, QB Hill will be facing the team that injured him last year.
    3) Combine 1 & 2 and you have an Aggie fan that hopes his or her team will put the hurt on Hill again.

Fa . . . uh, Aggie fans are hoping Hill doesn't quickly become the best QB in the state, which is a strong possibility before the end of September.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:37 a.m.

I think people's memories of Hill last year are a little too fond. Remember he only put up 6 points against USU, which in spite of their success last year was still a team with far less talent than BYU. For much of the game Hill had wide open receivers waving their arms in the air and he just didn't find them.

A lot of people argue that he looks so good on the field and in the pocket. I don't care the cheerleaders will always look better. I want to see W's and don't really care about good looks.

He does have the talent. Here's to hoping he learned the offense this off-season and that there won't be wide open receivers waving their arms.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:38 a.m.

As Steve Young said, "Taysom is a Athlete Freak." He'll be fine. People thinking it is the qb job to win games. Well, Steve couldn't do that at Tampa and he got picked up heading to 49ers. It is the team chemestry that need to work together. Robert Anae will get the job done with his O-Line group and Taysom will have more time in the pocket. Taysom knows he need to slide or he will be yanked. Remember Jimmy Mac wearing knee brace during each games which was a good idea and I think it wouldn't hurt if Taysom do the same. Good luck Taysom.

Go Cougars.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Well, one week away. Time for predictions. Forget this blather about who's better or worse or who could be who.

I pick BYU by 10 over Virginia

I don't follow Utah football, so somebody needs to help me there. Who's picking the Utes? Anybody?

As I live in SoCal, I hear nothing about NorthWest teams. Luckily we have the internet. Washington over Boise by 3 since the game is in Seattle.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:22 a.m.

@SLCWatch

• sdcoug SAN DIEGO, CA
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:34 a.m.

More typical yewtage. What gets one mountain flying?

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Duckhunter: mountainflying is another screen name for utah "fan" jenny83. She has spent the last several weeks predicting Hill, and other BYU athletes will get injured. Just more "classy' posting by another utah "fan".

Well said!

It's sad and classless when any fan becomes so desperate that they resort to wishing injury on an opposing player.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Re: Steven S. Jarvis "Hill was awesome last year."

Really? He showed that he was a very good runner and could throw a good five yard pass. Add a little grit and does that remind you of anyone?

Eventually he may turn out to be awesome, but he wasn't last year and this year hasn't even started.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 12:42 p.m.

I get so tired of reading about fair-weather fans dissing Riley Nelson for not giving All-American performances while playing with multiple broken ribs and ruptured vertebrae in his back. Most QB's wouldn't even attempt to play under those conditions. But he did because Bronco asked him to. And not only that, but he led the team to a winning season and made them bowl eligible. He did everything Bronco asked of him and then some.

I'm grateful to Riley for making the extraordinary efforts and contributions that he did, and under such extremely difficult circumstances. It's ludicrous and selfish for anyone to ask or expect any more than what Riley gave under those conditions.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 1:09 p.m.

Any quarterback that was hurt as bad as Riley was last year wouldn't think more about him playing instead of his "team" when he wasn't even close to playing at 100%. So to you Tators, I don't think he did anything to help the team last year. He could have sat out for a few games in the hopes of healing so he could play better, but I'm sure that it was him that told everyone that he was in great shape and ready to play.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Aug. 26, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Hill has played 4 games. He started and won two games...against Hawaii and Utah State!

Wilson played 12 games last year! Against PAC 12 teams! Started 7 and won 3...Was a stud from SoCal in high school.

Hill is from Pocatello...

Why all the hype about Hill?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Hill was pretty raw last year - hard to even complete a pass. Hopefully Anae has schooled him back to being a real BYU QB.

• BYUSU Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:04 p.m.

My wish for BYU this year is that Taysom uses his arm a lot more than his legs. I hope it has been drilled into him when he does need to run is to slide, slide, and slide. One other thing some quarterbacks have trouble with is when there is no play throw the ball away. I believe he can be a great quarterback.

Right now the best quarterback in the state is Chuckie Keeton until someone shows their better.

Go Cougars!!!
    Go Aggies!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:07 p.m.

@hey baby

Because Hill is an obvious talent and wilson has already shown mediocrity. It is the difference between knowing a guy is only ok and knowing the other guy is a superior talent.

How many of those pac12 teams wilson beat last year were actually good? Considering none of them had a winning record I'd say none of them were. He lost to all of the good pc12 teams he played against. Kinda shoots your entire "point" down now doesn't it?

Then of course there is the fact that even many utah "fans" are already questioning wilson's ability and hoping for a quick switch to manning or cox. You can go to the front page of the utah section right now and find posts from utah "fans" about it. If even utah "fans" aren't all that excited about him then why should anyone else be?

In short the answers to your questions are obvious, but you knew that already, you just wanted to try to troll things up.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Duck...
    Were the teams Wilson beat as good as Hawaii and Utah State? As an old coach you must realize that there are two sides of the game. Utah State has the best QB in the state..but how good was the defense that Hill tore up?

And your second part?? Utah fans doubt him? Quite an argument hunter. So, if I can get more Ute fans to say Wilson is good, does he get better?

I can get ChrisB right on this task.

BYU might beat Utah some time in the future...just not this year.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 9:17 p.m.

@Hey Baby
    "Why all the hype about Hill?"

Because the article was about Hill, at BYU. No longer at Stanford where he was a 4 star recruit and still has Harbaugh's approval. This is an article about BYU, not Utah, Not Wilson. Why you were allowed to post off topic I don't know.

Second
    "Hill is from Pocatello..." And that means what? Wilson competed against Tanner Mangum (from Idaho) in the Nike Elite 11 and if I remember correctly came in dead last of 26 QB's at the camp. Tanner came in 1st as the MVP. Where you're from means nothing.

"but how good was the defense that Hill tore up?"

Let's think, Utah State was 19th in the Sagarin rating at the end of the season, so we can say probably pretty good.

So now your questions have been answered I suggest if you want to talk about Wilson that you go to the Utah articles.