Several years ago when a car accident in the Seattle area blocked the light rail
track running in one direction, but not the track running in the other
direction, they were able to continue light rail service by "single
tracking", i.e. switching the trains from one track to the other, and making
sure that only one train at a time was traveling through the affected section.
Service may have been slowed down, but not stopped. Why doesn't UTA do
What's wrong with this picture? Why is it that to CLEAN something that we
have to use toxic chemicals -- which is a health hazard? Think about babies and
pets, with their noses on the floors, constantly breathing toxic carpet and
floor "cleaners." And of course, all those chemicals are then sent down
the drain...The LDS Church's Library is a LEED Silver building,
which is supposed to maintain healthy environments for occupants without toxins.
I sure hope they aren't using the same toxic agents to keep that
"green" building "clean."
Baron Scarpia,Alcohol isn't good for the liver or brain, but
it's great for disinfecting.The same applies to any chemical.
The earth is made up of and even releases things like sulfur, methane, and so
on. We're surrounded by chemicals, even harmful ones. There is no such
thing as a "perfect" environment. Frankly, the top scientific minds
wouldn't even know how to qualify a perfect environment. Furthermore, sometimes we are safer by using risky chemicals then living with
the consequences of using an alternative. Basically in the end there is no need
to find anything wrong 'with this picture'. "Wrong finding"
doesn't help the world.Instead we can look at this with
optimism and work towards better safety practices. I see a whole lot of
"right" that will now follow this picture as everyone involved will be
better for it. The things we go through in life are for our benefit and gain,
not to hold us back.This simply isn't as big of deal as many
will portray it to be. I'd much rather focus on better practices than
dwelling on mistakes anyway. It's far more productive in my view.
This is such an easy mistake to make. As a teenager I worked at a fast-food
restaurant where another teen tried to get an old stain out of a cabinet. The
Comet he was using didn't work, so he poured some bleach on top of it. A
minute later we saw his limp body slumped on the floor, having succumbed to the
bad chemical reaction.He was fine, but it just goes to show that a
simple desire to clean something can lead to unfortunate results.Maybe we should just leave the world dirty?
"What's wrong with this picture? Why is it that to CLEAN something that
we have to use toxic chemicals -- which is a health hazard?"He
wasn't using toxic chemicals to clean. The toxic chemical formed when he
mixed two things together.My question is what was the sulfuric acid
doing there? I think that the thing to do is to get really paranoid about the
bottles of chemicals that are laying around. If chlorox and ammonia are mixed
chlorine gas is produced. If you have to have both on hand, label each one with
a black magic marker that it must not be mixed with the other one and then make
that something that gets inspected every month.A janitor should not
have to be a chemist to the job.
white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda... all you need to clean anything, both
biodegradable, totally harmless to pets and children... only chemical reaction
when they mix is a few bubbles... problem solved