High school football: Copper Hills Grizzlies 2013 preview

Comments

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 12:43 p.m.

"The Copper Hills football plan for success includes long-term goals to rejuvenate the program."

Rejuvenate? This is a program that barely wins 2 games a year (41 games in 18 years and never finished north of .500 [5-6 in 2004 is best finsh]). I think "establish" is probably a better word.

I have never understood why this program has never been good. This is a fairly big school and in a newer area where I don't think poverty abounds. Hope they can turn the corner.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 2:29 p.m.

It's a matter of attitude Parry. That team thinks they are going to lose before they ever get on the field. A few years back I remember watching them give up 49 pts to Bingham in the FIRST QUARTER! One of the worse displays of effort in a game I've ever witnessed! It starts with the coaching in their little league program. And the parental support of "tough" coaching is non existent over there. I've seen parents pull their kids off the practice field because they didn't want little Johnny to go up against another kid on his team because the other kid hit too hard. Until they do something about the mindset over there, things won't be changing anytime soon.

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Kind of like Bingham of 25-30 years ago?

I remember that 49 point first quarter game.

BTW, I played at Bingham in that 25-30 year ago era.

• Now The Rest Of The Story Salt Lake County, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Good points Gunner! I have witnessed practices at Copper Hills High and I'm here to tell you that the new coach has this program headed in right direction. I don't know how many wins they will get this year but their future looks bright!

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Along with the attitude part of it, I know players who have grown up and live in the Copper Hills area, yet they have transferred to go to Bingham...even if they don't get to play, because they want to be on a winning team instead of playing where they live and trying to make their own program better.