Brad Rock: Ute Trevor Reilly's daughter tackling cancer, keeping dad in check

Comments

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Trevor:

I hope you have a great season but more than anything, I hope your daughter is given a clean bill of health.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 7:19 p.m.

Great article, Brad. Trevor is a wildman on the field and even a bit eccentric off it, but I can't imagine the sobering effects this must have on his perspective in life. Really pulling for him to join Morgan Breslin and Anthony Barr as the most feared pass rushers in the west this year, but even more pulling for him to help his wife and daughter through an even more challenging year at home. Go, Trevor, and go Shayn!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Very powerful and moving story. Best of luck to Trevor and his family.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 9:11 p.m.

Thanks for this story, Rock. All the best to Trevor and his family. His young daughter is adorable and obviously as tough as they come. The challenges best the Utes the this year certainly bring the importance of family and friends into sharp focus.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 11:38 p.m.

It's nice to see a player who excels at what he does but manages to keep it all in perspective. Good luck with everything Reillys!

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Aug. 18, 2013 12:26 a.m.

What an adorable little girl! I sure hope this tough trial has a happy ending. When I see Trevor on the field this year, it'll be a little harder to root for my cougars.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:27 a.m.

Great article. Wishing the family all the best.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:43 a.m.

God bless your daughter and your family, Trevor! I am an ardent BYU fan but now I am a HUGE Shayn fan and a fan of Trevor and his family. I pray that all will go well for you. Wouldn't it be a good idea if both BYU and Utah football teams rallied for Shayn in an event off the field and even a collection was made for Shayn at he game from all the fans at Lavell Edwards Stadium? I believe it would be a praiseworthy cause to bring both sides a good perspective on what is really important in life. Maybe it could help heal more than just Shayn?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Football is something we look forward to in the Fall. It's a distraction from life.
    But life is in the family
    A wife like Jessica is something everyman should have in his life.
    We often forget that when a student athlete is on scholarship it's difficult to work and keep the NCAA rules. So it falls to wives often to support the family.
    Keeping up a home, two children, a job to support the family and a Div I football player to manage and support...The star of the family is Jessica.
    I hope your trials lead you both to greater strength and wisdom.
    From a Cougar fan...
    Go Reillys!

• eljefeBYUfan Denver, CO
    Aug. 18, 2013 9:07 a.m.

Courageous father, courageous mother, courageous daughter, courageous football player - all the best to this caring, courageous family!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 18, 2013 9:32 a.m.

There are things far more important than football. Little girls are just one of them. My prayers will mention this sweet little baby.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Thank you for letting us know about this situation with Trevor Reilly and his little daughter. Our prayers are with you and your wife, Trevor.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 10:02 a.m.

It is interesting that Trevor's football career took him to a place that has an excellent cancer treatment facility located right in it. It is as if he was guided to be there for purposes beyond what he knew at the time. He appears to simply be at the right place at the right time for himself and his family.

That is really an amazing "coincidence" and it is a very interesting side bar to this story.

Here is hoping for the best for his daughter and all of his family. It is nice for those of us that follow sports to have people we pull for as well as teams we pull for. I pulling for Trevor and I'm pulling for Shayn and I'm pulling for their entire family.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 10:17 a.m.

This Cougar fan will be cheering for Reilly all season long. Wish you all the very best. Your story has helped make me be a better man.

• Top5Alive salt lake city, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 11:09 a.m.

What a tough girl!!!!

• rescueguy Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 11:37 a.m.

A very good article about a very sweet and brave little girl. Life itself, and the health of a precious child, far transcend any football game. I have become a fan of Trevor Reilly, his wife Jessica and their beautiful little Shayn. Best wishes to the Reilly family and heartfelt prayers that Shayn is soon well. From a Cougar fan to a new hero wearing a Utah uniform I wish this wonderful family all the best!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 18, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Stories like this puts everything about football in perspective! AS fierce and intense as the rivalry is, it's nowhere as important as a father's love and dedication to his little girl and family. Thanks for being a great example to us not only as a father and husband but as a true blue dedicated Ute.

Good luck to you and the Utes!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 12:24 p.m.

What an adorable picture! Trevor, all Ute fans and so many others are praying for Shayn's return to perfect health! Be grateful she got her looks from her mother! And her character from both!

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Had no idea. Life can be very cruel but you learn early on that you deal with the issues that come your way. Unfortunately, those life lessons sometimes come way to early - for both parents and daughter in this case.

Good luck to Trevor, his wife and their adorable little daughter. Can't say I will ever be a University of Utah fan, but I have become a fan of little Shayn and her dad!

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 18, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Trevor,
    I am a devoted BYU fan and a 10 year kidney cancer survivor. I hope and pray with all my heart that Shayn will be fine. She is certainly a beautiful girl. I'm confident she will be. I will also be pulling for you and the Utes this season. In Tucson, if you see a fat old man in a Ute hat cheering for you in particular, that'll be me. GO UTES! GO COUGS!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Aug. 18, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Best wishes to the entire Reilly family. Incredible story and fantastic article.

@duckhunter - wonderful comment and very nicely said ... I think we both agree this young man being at Utah is no coincidence.

• MormonUte Centerville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 3:00 p.m.

It is so refreshing to read the comments on this article. In a month the rivalry game might bring out some of the worst in all of us, but it is so nice to see that BYU and Utah fans can both be so supportive of a young family with such a difficult challenge. I have been as guilty as anyone of negative comments about BYU on these message boards, but I think deep down we (BYU and Utah fans) are good people who can put sports in perspective. As a father of 3 daughters myself, I agree that there is nothing more precious than little girls. All the best to Trevor, Shayn and their family, and thank you Cougar fans for so many nice comments about an opposing player. I hope we (Ute fans) will show the same amount of class to the good young men who play for BYU.

• BYUSU Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 3:54 p.m.

God Bless you and your family Reilly. I hope things go well for your daughter. Its times like these that show us that there are far more important things in life than sports.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 4:38 p.m.

For everyone who bashes Bronco Mendenhall for putting football 5th, this story and everything Trevor Reilly said in the video is exactly the reason why. Maybe friends, family, and faith actually DO matter more than football. I think there are a lot of players and coaches up at the U that realize this too, they just don't make it public the way Bronco Mendenhall does. I think most people who aren't soulless/heartless also realize that their friends, family, and faith matter more than getting to watch football, even though we all love the game and love to watch it. Like Trevor Reilly said in the video "my daughter is fighting cancer, and I'm out here playing a game. Football is important . . . but it isn't."

Good luck to Trevor and hopefully for everyone who is a part of both schools, we can all love football and be passionate about it, while remembering that when all is said and done, it really is just a game.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    Aug. 18, 2013 8:18 p.m.

Great story. Praying for a quick and full recovery to Shayn.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 9:01 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Shayn and the entire Reilly family. I have all the respect in the world for how Trevor and Jessica are handling this, not sure I could be so strong. I am a die hard Aggie, but will be following this story and cheering for the Reilly's.

• JReilly9 Salt Lake City, USA, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 10:35 p.m.

Thank you ALL for your support and kind words. Our sweet little girl is such an inspiration to Trevor, myself, her big sister Nelli and our whole family, she truly is an amazing little girl. We are so lucky to have her in our lives.
    I love our Utah football family and the support we have received from them is incredible!

If you would like to make a donation for Shayn and for other pediatric cancer WARRIORS just like her please go to curesearchwalk.org. I will be walking on her behave October 5th,(yes on game day :)!!!) at Sugar House Park!How great if we all walked together as "Team Shayn"..in our Red, or Blue of course! Come support we would love to see you there!
    Again thank you all for you support and well wishes I can't tell you how much we appreciate them! Thanks again and GO UTES!!!

• daver Provo, 00
    Aug. 19, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Trevor, Jessica and Shayn, this BYU alum, Ute and Cougar fan gives best wishes and prayers for Shayn's full recovery. As a cancer survivor, I know it can be done!! God Bless!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 19, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Glad to have Reilly on the team and as a leader. We are all praying for Shayn's complete recovery.

Go Utes!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 1:39 p.m.

This story touches my heart in ways that few stories have for quite a while.
    Most people know that I'm a solid-as-rock Cougar fan. But with this particular more-important-than-sports circumstance, I'm going to be a hard core Ute fan.
    May a spirit of peace and comfort be with this little angel and her family.