Family

Do we really want cartoons telling our kids they can do anything?

Comments

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:07 p.m.

I think most kids will figure this out over time. I wanted to be a professional golfer but it just didn't happen. But I still have a day job I generally enjoy.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:19 p.m.

...and I read books as a children about the "Little Engine that Could".

This article is much to do about nothing.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 12:45 a.m.

Hard work is usually required, but I think that to so completely discount the power of positive thinking and determination is far scarier, and more sinister. Ask any pro athelete how their mind set effects their performances in the nations biggest stadiums. Yeah, they worked their butt off to get there, but what it they belived they couldn't get that pass or shoot that basket?

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:22 a.m.

If we are relying on movies and television to "teach" our kids, then we are in a much dire situation than that described in this article. The real problem is being able to separate fantasy from reality. What we see in TV and movies is in most settings supposed to be taken for entertainment and a theme or message portrayed. If we allowed TV fantasy land to teach us, then we would never go to work, but hang out in our apartments or coffee shops all day. We would never close doors or fridges, we would sleep in separate beds than our spouse, and we would never have a sophisticated conversation--constantly trying to inject one liners for maximum amusement.

For entertainment value, it's okay to be a snail and aspire to be a racecar. I've been that guy who thought he could accomplish anything, even without proper preparation. Even after the failure, I've done okay with moving on with life and still taken care of my responsibilities.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 12:20 p.m.

If you want to counteract any thought that you child may have that if they just think they can do anything without working for it you just show them the audition episodes from shows like American Idol. There are lots of people who think they are great and are destined for greatness, but that is where it ends. The bigger ego they have, the bigger they crash and burn when placed in front of the judges.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Aug. 14, 2013 12:21 p.m.

They're at the very least better than the messages sent to young girls in movies like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty where, if you're pretty enough and simply wait it out, eventually some guy will come and take you away from all your troubles.