BYU football notebook: Jordan Johnson suffers season-ending knee injury

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 4:47 p.m.

That one hurts.

• jonnyboy Orem, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Sucks for Jordan and sucks for BYU. You never wish injuries on anyone. From a U fan I hope Jordan can make a full and speedy recovery.

Go Utes.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 4:55 p.m.

That stinks, this kids a player. Hopefully he can return to full strength next year.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Huge blow. No way to paper over the loss of Johnson. Bad news.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:03 p.m.

@jonnyboy

I second that; very unfortunate.

• BYU&UW FAN West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:03 p.m.

BYU was so thin at CB before Jordan's injury. He really was one of the most important players on the team. I hope for quick recovery, and to see him playing next year.

• KTar Boise, ID
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:04 p.m.

I understand the need to get these guys reps going into the season, but every time this happens (and it seems like it happens every year) I wonder if something preventative can be done. As a loyal Cougar, I was already finding to hard to be optimistic about our corners. Johnson was the only thing giving me comfort. Now, that position group is an untested question mark, and I don't see BYU defending the pass very well this year at all. Major bummer to see Johnson go down.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Somebody in coaching or medical needs to make changes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:27 p.m.

@KTar

I haven't heard yet how he was injured. The truth is knee injuries happen quite often when there is zero contact so if that is the case I don't know how it could have been avoided. They have to practice, run drills, etc.

If it was a contact drill it still might not have been avoidable, they have to do some level of hitting, blocking, tackling in order to get into game shape.

There sure have been a lot of injuries the last week for both BYU and utah, really it is sad because these guys put in so much time and effort to play. I absolutely hate to see anyone injured but it is inevitable in football that it will happen.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:36 p.m.

Huge loss for the secondary and the defense. Although I think he underperformed in some key games last season, his experience was key to keeping the secondary competitive with a brutal schedule. That leaves a first year JC transfer and a true freshman to man the corner position. This definitely will require Bronco to change his defensive gameplan. Hopefully recruiting in the secondary will become a priority for the defensive staff. CB has been a weakness every season under Bronco.

Luckily the front 7 looks solid and should put plenty of pressure on opposing QB's.

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:47 p.m.

A devastating injury at the thinnest position on the defense. Terrible news for this season, although we will be in pretty good shape next year with two good junior cornerback contenders in Trammell and Johnson. However, for his next magic act, Mendenhall will need to reach into his hat, and turn someone into a cornerback -- at least a cornerback contributor for this year. Possibility: Michael Davis. I'm not sure if he has any experience or any aptitude for the position, but he does have that kind of straight line speed. Worth a thought, at least.

Get well quick, Jordan -- we'll see you next year.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Not a good year to be a college DB in Utah this year. Too many injuries.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:58 p.m.

C'mon guys lighten up. Sure it's bad for Johnson, but as far as cornerback play greatly affecting BYU's defense that isn't the case.

Our linebackers are the key to the defense and as long as we have great LB play we can make the corners (whoever wins the spots) look good.

When the quarterback is under pressure by the DL and LB and the short passes are being covered the corners will be able to cover and not have to worry about runs.

There is a reason that we were top 10 all last year in defense, and honestly it wasn't because of our corner play.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Terrible blow to the team. Probably the one player you absolutely couldn't afford to lose (yes, even more than van noy), because he was the anchor as likely the only solid defensive back in the lineup. As a fan, I'd rather see a banged up Utes team beat an intact BYU team (like last year) than have a fully healthy Utes team beat a depleted Cougs team. On a personal level, I hope Johnson can come back strong next year (bummer I don't get to see the Utes compete against him again, though), because he's one with a decent chance at a pro career. Good luck to the next guys up, but from the outside it ain't lookin good.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 12, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Hate to hear about such devastating injuries. Another Utah fan wishing Jordan a complete recovery.

• Truth Whisperer Chandler, TX
    Aug. 12, 2013 6:43 p.m.

That really hurts... Might have to look at some Offensive Backs with "D" experience to shore up the CB positions... We might also want to make this a huge priority when we go recruiting...

If I am the coach and I am thin in a very important spot, then I am going to make sure that I have enough depth there... Not a whole lot different than recruiting for "skill positions"...

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 6:46 p.m.

Mindgames, Johnson deflected 15 incomplete passes last year, the highest on the team. While I watched very few of the games, from what I did see he also wasn't thrown on as much as Hadley. You have to think a lesser corner would've been thrown on more and not been able to defend as many. That has power to change at least a few games in a big way.

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 12, 2013 6:57 p.m.

StG: Afraid you're correct in the conclusions to both of your comments. :-(

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 12, 2013 7:17 p.m.

No worries bYu is filled with DB's.

they'll be "fine"

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 7:27 p.m.

This is terrible news, hope Johnson makes a full recovery and we see him on the field next season. Two starting DBs already down and the season hasn't even started yet, hope some guys step it up and get the job done.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 12, 2013 7:46 p.m.

Best wishes to Jordan on his return next year. With a medical red shirt he would be a JR in 14.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    Aug. 12, 2013 8:03 p.m.

Big Blow for the D. Hope the JC kids can step up.

BTW, thanks to the Ute fans posting positive comments on here. We appreciate it. And to those talking about needing to change practice, when I blew my ACL out, I was coming down from a normal lay up, and no one touched me, and my leg hyper extended. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, and no one is to blame.

Techno.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Very classy comments from ute fans, appreciate your input and regards for JJ. This really hurts BYU from a defensive standpoint. Jordan did not get thrown on a lot last yr because he was a good cover corner. Now we will most likely have to play more zone in the secondary and be backing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, giving easy out and slant routes. Get well Jordan. Next yr the corner position should be great for BYU...this yr, I'm very worried. Does anyone know the prognosis on Sam Lee and when he will be healthy to play?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 8:23 p.m.

The defensive dynamics can sure change a lot over the injury of one player. I wish injuries didn't happen. I hope for a speedy recovery for Jordan.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 12, 2013 8:50 p.m.

This is depressing. Some speedy athletes from the offense who might have playe corner in High School might have to switch over to Defense. It does make one wonder why the corners are dropping like flies in practice....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 9:50 p.m.

@stg

"he was the anchor as likely the only solid defensive back in the lineup"

I appreciate the sentiment but that simply is not the case. BYU's safeties are more than solid, they are excellent. This hurts the cornerback position but the safety position, they are "defensive backs" also, is as well stocked as ever with very good players.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 9:55 p.m.

Terrible news for a young man who has obviously worked hard to perfect his game. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Very sad for this young man. I hope he can recover and have a successful career at BYU for his final two years.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 10:49 p.m.

Good luck Jordan on your upcoming surgery and recovery. Hoping you can pull an "Adrian Peterson" and have a great 2014 season! Wish we were playing BYU that year and every year!

• timewilltell Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 12, 2013 10:58 p.m.

not sure that was a great coaching decision having a valuable def starter doing returns, there are others who can do returns but live and learn, they'll be fine.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Aug. 12, 2013 11:36 p.m.

Very sad news. Hope the best for Johnson.

Regarding the second part of the article, why does it seem Mendenhall is often taking veiled shots at Ansah?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 12:11 a.m.

Duckhunter, I'm glad for you that you see it that way, but I disagree. From what I've seen, Sorensen is good in run support, but neither one of them looked good in coverage. Again, my opinion and you've watched them more than I so you're certainly entitled to a different opinion.

Regardless, best wishes to him, I hope he can have a solid couple more years.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 1:41 a.m.

@Timewilltell

Jordan was not doing returns. It was just an injury from an athlete pushing himself to his limits in standard practice routine.

Just going over the roster, the coaches still have Trevor Bateman, Craig Bills, Rob Daniel, DJ Doman, Levi Gifford, Mike Hague, Adam Hogan, Dallin Leavitt, Sam Lee, Scott Lefrandt, Blake Morgan, Skye PoVey, Jordan Preator, Drew Reilly, Daniel Sorenson, Michael Wadsworth, and Jake Ziolkowski at DB not to mention a large number of WR, LB and even QB's who have played DB. Sure the team is hurt by losing Trammell and Jordan Johnson. But the cupboard is not bare. Some were meant to redshirt, some just have not risen to the challenge and some are green freshman. But Steve Young was a 5th string QB. Doman was a fourth string QB. Some one is just going to have to be better than they were.
    I am not sure of the status but can Wadsworth or Reilly play this year? As transfers are they sitting this year out? Both have played and well.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 8:28 a.m.

wer

Somebody in coaching or medical needs to make changes."

Such as what, invent an indestructable knee ligament?

It's called football; injuries happen. Show me a single program in the entire country that hasn't lost a major player to an injury suffered in practice.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 8:44 a.m.

@ wer
    "There's something wrong within a program that has already had two season ending knee injuries-not to mention all the O line problems last year."

Next time you watch BYU, notice the Body Chop Tackles from the secondary, the kids throw their body at the knees to tackle, number one culprit "Sorensen." Now granted Johnson isnt running the ball but it would be interesting to know how he sustained the injury, Im sure Trent Trammell got a Sorensen Body Chop.

Best hopes for full recoveries on Johnson and Trammell.

• goforit Provo, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 8:48 a.m.

This is a blow. They were going to struggle being bowl eligible, but now it only gets harder. The more telling part of article is the O-line concern. If the most impressive lineman so far are a true freshman and a JC transfer both who didn't get to Provo until June you are in serious trouble. For a team to excel the offensive line needs to be excellent. BYU's is below average. Sorry but this is shaping up to be a very disappointing year.

• Gorum The Old Madison, AL
    Aug. 13, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Ouch. Arguably the biggest possible loss on the defensive side of the ball. Fortunately Daniel and Leavitt have performed better than expected. I expect Daniel to move over to field corner and Leavit take over boundary. They will be paper thin for the first several games, but hopefully a recovered Lee and Hague will be able to provide some much needed depth.

• Salemite Salem, Ut
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:11 a.m.

This is tough. Tough all the way around...I appreciate all the kind words from our Ute fans. I hope the injury bug stays away from the boys on the hill. By the way, your new football facility looks fantastic.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:36 a.m.

Thanks to jonnyboy, SpokaneUte, StGtoSLC and other Utah fans for their sympathetic responses; it's always hard to see any player suffer a season-ending injury like this.

Good luck to Jordan on a speedy recovery; hope to see you back for an outstanding year next season.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:42 a.m.

I think Sam Lee is supposed to be ready before Virginia. At the scrimmage Saturday both Daniel and Leavitt looked good against BYUs very good WR corps so we may be pleasantly surprised with those two. That being said, they're both green and prone to make mistakes and blow coverages. I also believe Wadsworth is eligible to play this yr.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 13, 2013 11:24 a.m.

Ugh...that stinks. From another Ute fan, best wishes for a speedy recovery, and may the man who steps into his place make the most of the opportunity.

To those Y fans who think there's something wrong with your program because of multiple season-ending injury: That's football. Bad injuries in training camp happen at every school. For example, Utah's already had two career-ending concussions and multiple other long-term injuries during fall camp. It's a sad reality of the nature of the game.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Aug. 13, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Tough loss. I wish him a full recovery.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 11:46 a.m.

@stg

Both Sorenson and Bills are excellent in coverage. Sorenson is a 3 year starter on a top 3 defense who was a 3 star safety and the #55 rated safety in the country coming out of high school.

Bills was a 4 star recruit with great speed (4.5 40). In fact Bills was the #10 rated safety coming out of high school by Rivals and the #15 rated safety by Scout. I'm pretty sure he can cover.

This does hurt BYU at corner but claiming that Johnson was "the only solid defensive back in the line up" is ridiculous.

Once again I appreciate your well wishes for Johnson but you simply don't know what you are talking about in regards to the rest of BYU's defensive backs and their excellent pair of safeties.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 13, 2013 12:09 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs. The more mild comment posted are not necessarily the ute fans being classy (although a couple of them who post here are). It is actually a collective sigh of relief from the ute nation in the realization that September, 21 becomes less ominous now that J.J. is out of the picture.

But it's nice to see comments that aren't ending in LOL for once.

My best to Jordan. I hope he can recover and play again next season.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 12:41 p.m.

I apologize to timewilltell. I have learned that he was doing a kick return when he caught his foot on artifical turf. I had bad information before.

That being said I like the BYU way of having people compete for a spot on special teams. The special teams are player led and have ownership in practice and on the field with a coach as an oversight advisor. It has led to vast improvement on all levels of special team play.
    Jordan wanted to do run backs and he has a history of beeing a great returner.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Looks like Dallin Leavitt is gone for the year too....

Your secondary will get lit up even more than normal this year!

• gamer PROVO, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 2:27 p.m.

So, is Dallin Leavitt hurt? I believe so. But you took the article offline. so maybe its not confirmed that he tore his ACL?

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:15 p.m.

It's curious that a Utah fan would be commenting on Dallin Leavitt's ACL injury before the story has even been posted by the DN.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Such sad news! Hope the kid recovers quickly! I was already nervous and concerned when I heard about all those talented 4 stars athlete Utah have and now I'm really worried. My hopes of avoiding a 4 and 0 sweep by the Utes is now very questionable. Oh the thought of seeing Chris B's prediction come true! I just hope he won't be so harsh on us if it happens!

On the bright side, I'm absolutely tickled by the civility and class displayed by so many Ute fans here. Thank you so much! It proves that we can be diehard zealous in our support of our respective teams and yet still be respective, courteous, and civil with each other. There really should be no room for vile and hateful comments at all on anything. Oh heck, I'm afraid someone's going to shoot back and accuse me of living in a vacuum. Oh well, maybe I am. Sorry!

• FB Fan #2 Grantsville, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:37 p.m.

Dallin Leavitt posted on his twitter he is not hurt. His hip is being evaluated, but it is not confirmed season-ending injury like Chris B says. We'll find out tomorrow, but at the moment, doesn't sound bad if he's telling people he's not hurt.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:47 p.m.

Leavitt just tweeted that he isn't even injured, he is tuff and will be fine! But thanx for being worried Chris!!