BYU football: Cougar fans taken on emotional social media ride through jersey-gate saga

Comments

• WildCougar Holladay, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Not sure if I like this. I get what they are trying to do but I think they should do it for a couple games and not the whole season.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Bwahahahahaha! For real?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:36 p.m.

I'm fine with it, although it will take some getting used to since it's not "traditional."

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:37 p.m.

I really don't like this.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:37 p.m.

HATE IT!!!! I didn't like it when Crowton did it and I hate it now. I like seeing the names of the players while watching in the stands or TV. This is one season ticket holder who hates the idea.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:42 p.m.

I'm still undecided whether I like this or not; I just want the team to be successful, and if BYU has a break-out season, this will be hailed as another milestone for the program.

Go Cougars!

Tradition, Honor, Spirit.

• findaddy Payson, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:43 p.m.

Yeah other teams have put words like "service," "honor," "country," "integrity" and "duty on there jerseys, but that was for 1 game. Please someone needs to get to Holmoe and those in charge and tell them this is a horrible Idea. For all these kids do for the exposure of the school and the fact that they represent there families as well they deserve to have there names on the back of there jersey. If they wanna change something (which they shouldn't) they should just go with blank backs. Please I hope sanity takes over and they do not do this!

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:43 p.m.

You mean "Legacy" isn't an option?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:45 p.m.

They should also ad "54-10".

Also, people not familiar with BYU or the LDS CHurch are going to assume these guys are all from 3 of the same family.

• benjoginko Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:47 p.m.

This sucks. It has nothing to do with Tradition.

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:47 p.m.

Dislike. I prefer to see the players' names. It's also too self-serving: Look at us and see how special we are. Booo.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:47 p.m.

This is a joke, right?

• H8 Red Centerville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I also do not like the idea. There is a reason they started putting players names on their uniforms. Identification! This will likely draw more ridicule than praise.

• 7dawg Norman, OK
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:53 p.m.

Big BYU fan, I try not to complain on message boards... But I don't like this at all.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:55 p.m.

One game kind of cool, the whole season? No thanks.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Sorry, Tradition is the T

• FB Fan #2 Grantsville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Hardcore BYU Fan, and I really don't like it at all. Maybe for the Homecoming Game, but not the whole season. If the Cougs are successful though, then I think people will like them a little more.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Holmoe can't be serious. I cheer for BYU a little more than half the time so I can't call myself a true cougar fan.... But this is a joke.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt, very clever. In fact those outside of the state might assume all players are from one of three prominent polygamist families.

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:58 p.m.

I love BYU football, but this is just silly. My prediction is that the TSH stickers will not see the light of a real football game, unless it's an armband or on the helmet.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:04 p.m.

I really hate it too. Really makes me not understand which players are which and makes me not get to know the players at all throughout the year. Imagine the coaches and media never using the names of the players throughout the whole year in print or in TV/radio interviews...that's how awkward it is for fans watching without getting their names on their jerseys.
    "Well #14 should have a good year for us as long as #32 and #36 can block for him. You know #74 just got back from his mission and along with #79 should really do a good job for us. The defense has been great with #45 leading the way. And with the leadership of #3 and #9 I think we'll have a really solid team."

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:05 p.m.

How about "more wins" instead of "spirit" on the jersey? This is another of Bronco's foo foo ideas to try and ram (I mean instill) honor, spirit, tradition, faith, love, hope, charity, cotton candy, snuggly puppies, etc into his team and into the fans. I'm frankly kind of sick of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for those things but quit trying to constantly ram it down everyone's throat. It's annoying. Let's don't stop here... let's make sure "Cosmo" is removed from the mascot's uniform - he shouldn't be getting any evil recognition either. And let's change the name of the stadium to "Thrifty" or "Courteous" stadium, and maybe even Brigham Young himself is getting too much recognition? How does "Faith" University sound to everyone?

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:06 p.m.

Is this a joke? If not, it stinks. I like to know who each player is! Seems like another bash on fans....BYU seems not to care about what fans like.....good grief.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:07 p.m.

gonefishin went there! LOL

• SkookumDon Tacoma, WA
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:09 p.m.

Please tell me this is a belated April Fools Day joke, or minimally a one game statement.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:10 p.m.

Cougar Club member here....C'mon, somebody get Holmoe or Bronco on the phone, or the media guys -- Duff Title, and put an end to this. Not a good idea!

This is like an idea that comes up in a brain storming session and you say, "Oh, yeah, ok" and write it down and then quickly junk it when you are getting serious.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:14 p.m.

This is like BYU trying to copy the military academies. Why? I know we like them and think they are great and all, but they have their own thing going.

I suggest everybody look up Duff Title's email from the BYU web site and encourage him to not subject us (fans) to the ridicule that will go with this. You can only defend so much....

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:16 p.m.

I think we should all thank Bronco for bringing the entire State together on something. Everyone hates this idea. This is worse than the "bib" uniforms. If you've never heard of that, there's a very good reason nobody who saw them wants them back.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:16 p.m.

This a HORRIBLE idea!!!!!! Please, please change your mind BYU! I loved being one of the schools that actually puts the players names on the jerseys! Tom Holmoe, you have done alot of good things for BYU football, dont let this happen!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:16 p.m.

Lame!

• MN Doug Rochester, MN
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Whoever came up with this idea needs to look at people's responses and take the idea back. This is among the dumbest things I've seen in any sport. It didn't work for 1 game for the Utes. I remember making fun of a high school opponent that had "Pride" in place of names (for the record they were terrible, likely because of the lack of player names). I was excited for the upcoming season; this honestly makes me much less excited due to embarrassment.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Not a good idea. Sure, do this for one game but NOT the entire season. Come on BYU....listen to your fan base. Cougar Nation Hates this Jersey change.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:18 p.m.

This is an absolutely terrible idea. You are coaching a football team Bronco, not leading a sunbeam class.

Kyle Whittingham is at Rice Eccles (the belly of the beast) laughing hysterically saying "You are making this too easy Bronco!"

• Vetteman Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:24 p.m.

I sure hope this is a joke. Unbelievably stupid idea!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:29 p.m.

This is a slap in the BYU players faces, they work so hard to get a jersey and to be on the team and now they have to replace their own names with one of Bronco's little pet phrases. The arrogance of BYU football continues to amaze me.

• skoup Lake Tapps, WA
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Put it on the sleeve or something like that, but don't replace the players names with TSH. I know Mendenhall doesn't care about what the fans think...but come on. You have to have some awareness of what people think outside your bubble.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Hey, here's an idea - a tshirt that says "Quest for Perfection."

• vangroovin West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:32 p.m.

I'm really surprised at the negative feedback. Like the idea or hate it, if you are a Cougar fan, show some support for your team! You don't know all the reasons why they are doing this. For all we know it could have been inspired by one of the players. It could be a physical reminder to the players of what they are playing for and what their team is about or a myriad of other possible reasons. To be successful, the team (& fans) needs to be united on all fronts. So what if it's not what all the other colleges do? So what if it's not our preferred taste/style? Support the tradition of excellence! Support the high standards these players have to live up to while they attend school! Support the educational value the institution brings these young men! The school aims to fulfill a much higher mission than names on jerseys for bragging rights or our ease in identifying players for stats. They are taking the focus off the individual and putting it on the team as a whole. It's not a one man show. Everyone is accountable. Go Cougs!!

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:33 p.m.

This is ridiculous. How are fans going to identify players? How will pro scouts identify players? I promise this is another recruiting disadvantage for BYU.

• Warrior Parent Belle Glade, FL
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Such an exciting season ahead... ruined with the insanity of Jerseygate

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Players don't like it. That's really all that matters in a sport where recruiting basically equals winning.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:38 p.m.

absolutely dopey. mendenhall, just play football and leave the promo stuff alone.

• tyler11385 Springville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:39 p.m.

It appears just about everyone thinks this is a dumb idea...

• NotFaint Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:40 p.m.

Might as well be, Tragedy, Spit-up and Horror.

• Modak Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:41 p.m.

BYU grad along with entire family. Rooted for BYU football some 25 years. Considering all of the dumb slogans and tag lines created by BYU marketing over the past several years, this ranks among the stupidest ideas yet. Come on BYU, can we just focus on playing serious football and get rid of the gimmicks. Rather than change our offensive coaching staff this past year, maybe we need to change some of the marketing/administrative personnel. Give me a break.

• AngryCougarFan Holladay, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:44 p.m.

I was considering getting season tickets for this year.

This made my decision for me.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

P.S. By doing this, are they not breaking "Tradition". If they make a change, it should be no name at all.

P.S.S. This makes BYU look like they cannot afford jerseys for games. Same behavior as most high school teams.

AARRGH!

• SoUtBoy25 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:44 p.m.

Maybe for one game kind of cool different, but the whole season? This is right up there with the bib uni's in infamy!

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Oh my goodness. I am struggling to keep my laughter down so the guy in the cubicle next to me doesn't think I'm nuts. I can't write down anything to make fun of this fast enough before I think of something else that's more funny than the last, so I'm just going to wait until the season starts. Unbelievable. If laughter is the best medicine, BYU Football just added 5 years to my life.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:47 p.m.

The 7 dwarfs used a similar routine...Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Bashful, Doc and my favorite; and what I personally think of this idea.....Dopey.

• Vetteman Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:51 p.m.

I hope this is a joke. Unbelievably stupid decision!!!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:53 p.m.

Sammy, Ducky, Grad/Dad, hello are you there. Not even the usual apologist can come up with something on this one.

This is why Bronco should be signed to a lifetime contract.

Priceless.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:53 p.m.

No way Jose. This is beyond stupid. Not even for one game. Fugettaboutit.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:58 p.m.

"Tradition,' 'Spirit,' 'Honor' to replace player names on jerseys this season"

They forgot one: "Charity" because they're going to be giving another win to Utah.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:59 p.m.

I don't like it.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:01 p.m.

I'm as hard-core of a Cougar fan as it gets and I think this is ridiculous!

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:01 p.m.

What does BYU know about TRADITION?
    1. Color. Royal Blue. No. Need to make more money...change to NAVY.
    2. Hakka. A few years. No. Get rid of it.
    3. Names on Jerseys. No. Get rid of it.
    4. Wave. Oh, we still do the 1980's wave.
    5. Popcorn popping...yes, we sing it in the stands!
    6. Star Wars theme...yep, tradition.
    7. Winning--that must be tradition at BYU...Nope, got rid of that by playing Riley Nelson.
    8. Beating Utah...Nope. Not tradition.
    9. Legendary coach...? Nope, retired.
    10 Not firing coaches too often...Nope...Doman and entire offensive staff.
    11 Good ticket prices...Nope, going through the roof..."we need more money"
    12 Good food and prices at concessions...nope. Bad food, high prices.
    13 Tailgating? Nope, don't do that in Provo.
    14 Big Y painted in the intersections...sometimes, all faded this year.

Bronco kills players spirit...players voted the idea down few years ago.
    Bronco kills fans spirit...tells us we know nothing about the game.
    Where is the honor? Where is the spirit? Where, oh where...is the TRADITION...?
    Just on the back of a shirt. Dumb dumb idea.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:03 p.m.

I absolutely hate this idea. BYU has had names on the back of their jerseys since I can remember, even when other schools in the country had nothing on the back. For me a life long BYU fan the tradition of the BYU uniform is to have sir names on the back of the uniform.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:04 p.m.

Listening to Bronco's comments on Cougar Tracks Facebook page made my blood boil with his arrogance. He didn't even talk with the team before making this change. Kyle Van Noy says he likes having his name on the back of his jersey. Do you think he is rethinking his decision now to come back this year??? He always talks about the Senior Leadership on the team and their responsibilities, yet he doesn't even consult them when making a change like this. As a season ticket holder, I hate this!!! Kyle Whittingham and the rest of the U are laughing at how easy recruiting just became. Hard enough to be an Independent team, and then Bronco shoots himself in the foot. Horrible idea!!!!!

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:04 p.m.

Oh no . . . please no! don't let it be true. I dislike the overused term epic, but this is an EPIC Fail!

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:05 p.m.

As the Grinch said to Max:

"Hate, hate, hate. Hate, hate, hate. Double hate. LOATHE ENTIRELY!

• The Last Word South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Over The Top and ridiculous! Tradition, Spirit, and Honor are already on the stadium! These players work hard and deserve recognition and fans deserve to learn who these players are during games--not get migraines trying to figure out who is playing on the field! This has provided unlimited laughs for years to come and Tom Holmoe needs to require Bronco to run his "great ideas" by his players, staff, and key alumni before surprising players with this nonsense.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:10 p.m.

@ deductive reasoning

As the Grinch said to Max:

"Hate, hate, hate. Hate, hate, hate. Double hate. LOATHE ENTIRELY!"

Couldn't agree more!

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:12 p.m.

April Fools!!!! I can't believe everyone fell for that. Of course they wouldn't do something that crazy! Well, ok maybe I'm having my doubts. If this is for real then I'm super embarrassed as a die-hard Cougar fan.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:12 p.m.

Seriously...isn't it enough that Band of Brothers is on the helmets, but now we have to have some motto or mission statement instead of names on the jersey? Ridiculous idea. I think BYU fans should twitter and fb BYU athletics to death saying we don't want to see this...EVER!

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:15 p.m.

This is a terrible idea.

• gtolboe Springville,UT, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:15 p.m.

You make it more difficult to be a BYU football player every year. I can just hear the mocking from rival fans now. Why don't you just dress them in all white uniforms, and place a halo on their helmets instead of the Y.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:18 p.m.

As another BYU tweeted:

BYU has an interesting sense of irony.

Tradition? No.
    Spirit? Deflated/angered fanbase.
    Honor? Totally pretentious.

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:20 p.m.

As a BYU fan and alum... We deserve to be made fun of for this

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Oh boy this looks like another quest for perfection deal all over again. Forget all the gimmicks and just recruit good players and coaches Bronco. This almost sounds like a primary activity in the Church.

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:23 p.m.

If you have Tradition, Spirit and Honor, it will be universally recognized.

If you don't, no amount of pretentious advertising will make it so.

• xxJazzAddict05xx heber, ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:26 p.m.

Don't like it, just give us the name so we know who makes the plays without having to look at a program. Not a fan

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:27 p.m.

Noooo, bad idea. Keep the names.

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:27 p.m.

Yes, this is simply the greatest idea ever! I am sure the national media will also love it. Good Luck Cougar fans!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:28 p.m.

No, No, NO!

Who's idea is this? Certainly not the players.

Don't do this, Bronco/Holmoe. This only hurts the image of BYU, not help it. And it won't help recruiting either. Please, for once listen to us fans. NOBODY likes this!

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:28 p.m.

I'm in a cold sweat, having memories of the bibs!

Please, please, make it go away.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:29 p.m.

It is decisions like this that are the reason BYU will never be taken seriously. It is like they are a little league team or something. Put that motto on your team flag, or somewhere else on your uniform. You don't put it where the players name is supposed to be. Is this another way BYU is trying to take the individuality out of their program? Do they just want robots or individuals?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:30 p.m.

This better be a joke! Of course I support the team and the players, and they have my full support this season but that's exactly why I hate this! Can we boycott or petition against this? Seriously. Coaches owe it to the players to have their own bleeping names on the back of their jerseys! Bronco, or Holmoe, or whoever's decision this is . . . get the memo: you are HURTING the program by doing this! If current players hate it, what do you think potential recruits are thinking? It's hard to recruit the very best players to come to BYU, don't make it tougher by doing dumb stuff like this! If you want to help recruiting, do the cool stuff like blackout jerseys once a year. I can see something like this for one game, NOT the entire season. I swear, I can't figure Bronco out sometimes! He does great things for BYU like put together 10-11 win seasons most years, and put out of this world defenses on the field. Then he does things that are unbelievably idiotic like start Riley Nelson at QB and take the team slogans too far (case in point)!

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Extremely Lame! This is one type Chris B. and I will actually agree on something in a BYU article. Never thought that would happen.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:31 p.m.

I seldom complain about what BYU does, but I hope Cecil, Tom and Bronco are listening - don't do it. Here's how you recover - say it was a miscommunication and you are only doing it for one game, the Utah game with the royal blue jerseys.

If you want to make a uniform change, get rid of the stickers on the helmet. By the end of the season the helmets are a mess. I outgrew stickers when I went to middle school.

• The Last Word South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Imagine the chatter at the line of scrimmage, laughs from ESPN viewers all over the country. When a player makes a good play people want to know who he is! Is the next great idea to rename Lavell Edwards stadium and replace with tradition, spirit, honor? Bronco has good intentions but he needs to quickly change uniforms back to having names on the back of jerseys or this will be the biggest topic of the season during broadcasts, even topping the comments of how many players are married and returning missionaries. This will be a huge distraction and detrimental to the team. Very upset about this and thats the last word.

• sunshiner st.george, ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Listen to the radio broadcast - this is Bronco's decision and he didn't even tell the players ahead of time. He let them find out on picture day in front of all the press. What a arrogant man to think he could do this and not be concerned about his players or fans or donors or alumni. He also said that these 3 words will stay on the backs of the jerseys for not only this season but as long as he is the coach! What a travesty. Can you just hear it? "Honor fumbles the ball. Spirit makes a leaping catch. Tradition missed a tackle." I am not happy about this and will let my voice be heard to the people who matter, not just the DN readers.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:35 p.m.

The real slogan on the back of the jerseys should read: "Gimmicks, slogans, kitty cats and ... losses"

They can't be taken seriously. Bronco is a joke.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:35 p.m.

I think that it's a cute idea.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:35 p.m.

I have to do it and I don't like it but I agree with Chris B. lame lame lame lame mark it down I don't like it

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:36 p.m.

I agree with the BYU fans on this one. With all of his strange slogans ("Fully Invested," "Quest for Perfection," "Band of Brothers," etc.) Bronco is proving that he missed his true calling in life. He would make one heckuva marketing CEO.

• KCbleedsblue SPANISH FORK, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:40 p.m.

Bronco don't do this! Did you survey the fans, players and ESPN before making this decision? As a fan, I need names on the back of the jerseys because the Polynesian names are so hard to pronounce I need the help. It sounds like your players aren't buying into the idea either from the posts I've read. Everyone in the "Great State of Utah" already knows about the Tradition, Spirit, Honor thing. It's plastered everywhere--flags, Shirts, sign posts, TV intros, in "1,000,000 point" on the front of the stadium. Now jerseys--this is getting excessive. If you are worried about the players getting overconfident and self-absorbed with their names on their jersey they wont because they've been doing it since they were kids. What happens if a player has their number retired someday? You'll have to break tradition and put their name back on the jersey. Please re-think this whole thing. If you don't want their name on the jersey just have no name like Penn State. Or do it for a certain rival game each year--like with USU. I think we could all go for that. I'm out!!!!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:42 p.m.

Spirit is a terrible placekicker and tradition just got sacked.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:43 p.m.

I didn't even like it when the Utes did this for one game. It just seems tacky!

• eman Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:47 p.m.

Please no...

• cork Murray, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:47 p.m.

This idea is a MAJOR mistake and it plain sucks! Whatever your wife is putting in your dinner had better be swapped out quick before more lame brained, idiotic ideas come down the pike.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:47 p.m.

tyler11385
    Springville, UT

"It appears just about everyone thinks this is a dumb idea..."
    Except bronco - par for the course!

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Absolutely brilliant from a marketing stand point. 65,000 fans now all needing a program @ $5.00 a pop. $325,000, not to shabby. However, completely lame from any other point of view.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:56 p.m.

Embarrassing because its a self-righteous turn off. What’s the point? This is a game not a parade.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:57 p.m.

I am a big Ute fan and always eagerly await the new gimmick/T-shirt slogan, etc. that Bronco comes up with each year. Always puts a smile on my face. This one just leaves me in awe. To compare this with the time the Utes put words instead of names on the jerseys is just inaccurate. That was for one game, but more important, the Utes were honoring the armed forces, NOT THEMSEVLES, which is how this new BYU uniform circus act comes across.

In the Trib it quotes Bronco as saying that the uniforms will stay this way as long as he is coach. Bad move. I predict that he and the school will save face by just doing it for a game, and then perhaps doing it for one game each year. I know this is BYU, but I still have to hope that cooler heads than Bronco's will prevail and end this farce.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:00 p.m.

I think it is close to 100% that none of us are fans of this change. My vote is to leave the names. I like that. Looks like most agree.

I am betting they will change this as we on this comment section are but a small, small voice in the back lash they will get elsewhere.

5 days max (Counting the weekend) until we see a repeal of this change. If not I will be surprised.

• The Last Word South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:01 p.m.

just can't picture tradition, spirit and honor replacing Young, Bosco,and Detmer. This is an idea gone bad the moment it was conceived. It ruins the flow of the game, is very over the top and makes the players look like robots instead of individuals.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:01 p.m.

This is a horrible idea. Let's not look goofy to the world because one guy had a goofy idea and we all went along...

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:01 p.m.

Take that Utah Fans! You can't make a laughing stock of the BYU football program. Our Head Coach beat you to it. Good Grief!!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:02 p.m.

This is stupider than Bronco's stupid decision to start Riley Nelson at quarterback!!!

And I've already read the player comments "in support" of the decision.

Of course they are going to support the decision BY DEFAULT! What are they supposed to say?
    "this really sucks I don't like it" They have to support it because they are on scholarship! I guarantee all the players HATE it! Some of them have even said, very tactfully in comments to the media, that they don't support it. You can read between the lines of the comments, the players DO NOT like it but they HAVE to support it for obvious reasons.

Donors, boosters, fans, let your voices be heard. DON'T support this jersey idea! The players deserve your support but this lame idea should NOT be supported!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:03 p.m.

hate it. can we bring back "Quest for Perfection" instead?

• Northwest Coug Pasco, WA
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:04 p.m.

Totally lame idea.

• grj Bountiful, ut
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:07 p.m.

From a long-time BYU fan - two thumbs down, bad idea, not inspiring, not cool. PLEASE someone get to Bronco and and have him put the players' names back on the jersey's. Those are three nice words I guess, but I don't believe they will pump the guys up to play better.

• BigLebowski Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Was "Stripling Warrior" already taken?

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:19 p.m.

This idea is as bad as the bib uni's or the "Quest".

Who comes up with ideas like this anyway?

• jean22 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Please don't do this! I really appreciate seeing the names on the backs of the jerseys so I can learn who the players are.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:26 p.m.

Hello.

This is cheesy. Please change it back before the ink is dry. My two cents.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:26 p.m.

Who's idiotic idea was this?

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:27 p.m.

This is probably not only the lamest move in BYU sports history, but also the lamest move in all of sports history.

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Stripling Warrior would have been better, at least they could have all been uniform.

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Jersey sales prediction: worst year ever.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Bronco is out of control!!! This is absolute nonsense and Tom Holmoe needs to get him under control. "Band of Brothers" was bad enough but this will make them a laughing stock. It will embarrass the players and will seriously affect recruiting. STOP BRONCO NOW!!!!!!!

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Was "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" already taken? That's what these thematic nouns on the back of the jersey look like.

I support almost everything Bronco does for this program, but this is a PR disaster ranking right up there with Utah's 1988 tourism campaign: "Utah, a Pretty, Great State" Please push the delete button.

I understand what Bronco is shooting for in having these themes on the stadium, but it's a dumb, half-baked idea on jerseys that someone with some marketing/PR experience (and courage) should have nixed.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Do you really want ESPN saying "Tradition fumbles again," or "Honor gets flagged for a late hit?"

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:38 p.m.

This is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Listen, BYU players represent the core values of BYU every time they walk on the field. They don't need to show it on their back - and in the process become the laughing stock of all America.

To think that somehow replacing a player's name with the word honor, spirit or tradition is acceptable to the powers-that-be at BYU is mindboggling. It is also, in my humble opinion, a slap in the face of each player and his family. The players have earned the right to proudly wear their family name on the back of their jerseys.

This is crazy and you can bet I am placing a call to the BYU football office tomorrow.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:41 p.m.

I'm absolutely speechless! Please excuse me while I vomit! Aaagggggghhhhhh!!!

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:42 p.m.

I see here there are already 107 comments; I'm not planning to actually read any, but must add my own. I thought Bronco was through embarrassing us! Stop already with the cheesiness that makes our rightfully respected program a butt of jokes!

• That's A Good One Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:43 p.m.

We could learn a lesson from our little brothers on the hill on this one. The day they tried this, as the 5th ranked team in the country, TCU curb stomped them in front of a speechless muss on national TV.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:44 p.m.

I agree with all Ute fans (and Chris B too) that this isn't a very good idea.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:44 p.m.

re: Henry Drummond

I can hear Dan Patrick now... "You can't stop Spirit. You only hope to contain him"

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:48 p.m.

Seriously? This is what passes for coaching today? This is the best you can do, Mendenhall? I'd rather you didn't have anything on the jersey instead of this nonsense. What an embarrassment.

• BCMom Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Not fan friendly. I watch from the stands with binoculars and like to see what is going on in the trenches. I like to know what offensive linemen are doing a great job protecting but never getting their named announced. I can't keep going back to the program to check numbers between plays. I like the name on the back of the players jerseys so I can recognition players more readily. The players may not need it, they know who they are and they know each other. But I need it if I am going to follow on TV or at the Stadium.

I like the idea of a team having their own motivations but would prefer that they have some secret motivators, slogans, etc. that they don't tell us about until the end of the season. LaVell said the 1984 team had a special feeling from before the 1st game. Let a team have their private dealings and motivations. Put it on their T-shirts to b e worn closest to their body and only be seen by each other in the locker room.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:50 p.m.

If you want it for camp only I think it's fine. Once the season starts the players deserve to have their names on their jerseys. This is worse than "Quest for Perfection" only they made the fans wear that one

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Maybe the Coaches shirts will be "Who" "What" and "I Don't Know"

hahahahahahaha

• Ohio Cougar Fan North Royalton, OH
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:03 p.m.

I love the change. I think most football fans across the country will be impressed with the change. Every time BYU plays on national TV this year, there will be at least one mention to BYU's uniforms, their tradition, and the school's honor code. BYU football should embrace the fact that they're the only school in the world with an honor code and values like their own. The players should feel honored to put on a BYU jersey, with or without their last name. The players represent something bigger than their family name. They represent BYU football, Brigham Young University, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If Bronco is the man I think he is, he will stick to his guns on this one. This change will hopefully be a permanent one.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:03 p.m.

Flood the athletic offices at BYU with calls of disapproval tomorrow. Maybe we can put a stop to the MADNESS.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:03 p.m.

By doing this Bronco not only embarrasses the players, the fans and the university but he is actually kicking BYU's tradition right in the teeth. Part of that tradition is names on jersey's. Bronco, stop the madness please!!

• Blue Cougar Oak Harbor, WA
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Bronco has unnecessarily undermined his players' loyalty to him! "Spirit, Tradition, and Honor" are fine things, but nothing is sweeter to a young man than his good name! Everyone of these young men want to make a name for himself on the football field; the fact that they are modest about it, doesn't change that fact. And Bronco's challenge that this new logo will remain "for as long as his is the coach," says that his feelings are the only ones that count. Bronco, you've done a great job at BYU, but these young men don't need you moralizing to them. Many of these men were serving missions at an age when you were playing football, and these young men chose BYU while you passed up BYU, because football was more important to you. These are outstanding young men and they deserve to be treated better than that! Please put the names of these fine young men back on their uniforms so they can have a little recognition.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:10 p.m.

I cannot wait to watch Taysom Spirit, Jamal Honor, and Cody Tradition play this year . . . said no one ever!

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Hallelujah!

Bronco just announced via twitter that team meeting held and it was decided that TSH only for homecoming; last names rest of season.

• Clark W. Griswold Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:18 p.m.

If I were a BYU player, I would want the word "embarrassed" on the back of my jersey.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:29 p.m.

Bronco-- the gift that keeps giving.

• Blue Cougar Oak Harbor, WA
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:32 p.m.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:33 p.m.

Am I dreaming, or is this real??

Coach Mendenhall - please swallow your pride, and don't do this. This is really a nutty idea. It is going to draw way too much negative attention. How many 5 star (potential) recruits do you think want "Spirit" plastered on the back of their jersey??

• byufootballrocks Herndon, VA
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:35 p.m.

I'm probably as loyal and true blue as true blue gets, and don't like to criticize the coaches and administration.

I believe they should reconsider this change.

For one thing, fans like to identify with individual players, so it's also a fan issue. Please consider that you might tend to dampen that enthusiasm.

BYU's theme is excellent and a big part of our success. In my opinion it's brilliant and defines well what BYU football is all about.

I just don't think having it on the actual jerseys is the way to go. It's going to create problems and distractions where that is not needed right now with the fan base and in the program.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:37 p.m.

I don't like it, go back to the players names. I can hear the announcers now, that tackle was made by the spirit. tradition fumbled. at lest Tom H should have input.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:37 p.m.

You folks haven't learned anything about Mendenhall. Unanimous disapproval will only make him more determined to stay with his decision and do it his way.

The only way to change Mendenhall is to out-Mendenhall him.

So in this case, the logic would be not every team member has earned the right to have Honor, Spirit, Tradition on his back for every game. You have to earn it.

So each week, the team should vote for one Offensive player to wear Tradition in the next game, the Defense for one player to wear Honor and Special Teams for one player to wear Spirit.

It would be considered an Honor (no pun intended) to the 3 players selected each week.

If everyone gets to wear them it's an entitlement...if you're chosen to wear one, it's EARNED.

Fans, get behind this idea. It's our only chance.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:41 p.m.

Used to love BYU football during the Edwards era with offence being the focus of their game.

The Aggies of Utah State will beat both BYU and Utah the next time they play.

When you have such words as Honor, Spirit and Tradition on your uniform and you lose, does that mean that honor, spirit and tradition are losers???

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:57 p.m.

Sorry to be so harsh on the Bronc. Of course he meant well with doing this, but I think sometimes he just . . . I don't know man I don't get his rationale sometimes. But sometimes I just think "Come on Bronco, you're smarter than this! Successful, smart coaches don't do things like this!" I'm glad he proved me right.

• bobco. Riverton, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 8:04 p.m.

This is ridiculous. hopefully there has been enough backlash to keep this from happening.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Glad this was changed to homecoming only. Geesh

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Oh thank goodness that common sense prevailed and the coach changed his mind on this questionable idea.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 9:41 p.m.

LOL
    LOL
    LOL

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Aug. 8, 2013 10:01 p.m.

What should really be there is "Beat Utah".

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Embarassing episode for Bronco yet highly entertaining for us.

Bronco-the gift that keeps giving.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 8, 2013 11:26 p.m.

It is downright scary the things Bronco comes up with.
    I am actually surprised he caved on this, though extremely glad he did.
    He is so image conscious that he is totally out of touch with reality.
    The best thing he can do to improve the image of BYU football?
    Just win.
    No more slogans, T-shirts, helmet stickers, running on to the field from a 3-point stance, and the rest of that little league garbage.
    Just win. Simple as that.

Even though Bronco reversed his decision, BYU will take a hit over this little stunt in the public eye. Hopefully it won' distract too much from fall camp.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 9, 2013 4:25 a.m.

I don't like this now at BYU and I didn't like it when my Utes used it against TCU in 2010 either. It was for one game, but Utah had the brave, courage and whatever else mantra going on with their camoflauge army uniforms in a 47-7 blowout loss. For Utah, it was military tribute angle and to me a bunch of boo rah rah nonetheless.

Rather it's Utah or BYU being discussed here, I get the service aspect of team and/or country all wound together with a badge of honor like slogan. I still don't like it.

The red and blue comparisons are different yet the same. Is this not an idealistic jersey gimmick?

Look, players can be unselfish and serve the team without having their identity taken away. That is what I believe we are talking about here at the core, personal identity.

I remember in "The Crucible' when the John Proctor (alias Daniel Day Lewis) responds to why he won't sign away his name to save himself a hanging from the witch hunters (Salem witch style). Answer; "Because it is my name and I cannot have another in my life" states Proctor.

• JoeCoug OREM, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 6:18 a.m.

If this was Bronco's idea, he continues to validate why I struggle with him. He's a fine coach and a fine example for the program, but there's something about him that just doesn't sit right with me. I'm looking for a Lavell-type of guy to lead this program, whose example speaks without an opening of the mouth. I will drop the judgment because I really don't know the man, but there's something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Just sayin'...

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 9:38 a.m.

"For Utah, it was military tribute angle and to me a bunch of boo rah rah nonetheless."

gdog:

While you may have thought it was goofy, there were some of us vets, and current soldiers, who didn't.

My nephew was deployed in Afganistan as an Army Ranger hunting bad guys when that game was played. It was shown live on AFN, as the troops at his base ate breakfast after a particularly nasty engagement the night before. While a big BYU fan, he nevertheless noticed the reactions around him as the announcers commented Utah's Under Armor unis would be sold to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. He told me it visibly lifted the spirtits of everyone, knowing that some people back home still cared.

I don't think those unis had anything to do with Jordan Wynn's shoulder, but even if they did I will remain proud of my alma mater for doing it.

Now as to Roscoe's latest faux pas, it seems the target audience, the fans and alumni, have spoken definitively.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 9:52 a.m.

He should of made the original announcement at a comedy club. lol.

I'll bet prospective recruits are impressed. lol.

• Buffalo1 McLean, VA
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Worst uniform idea since the bibs. And this may top the bibs, as a matter of fact. Deep six the idea, coach -- including for homecoming.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Can we just eliminate this from Homecoming as well? Just go with the players names, please. "You can't tell the players without a program"! Personal conduct will trump "advertising" every time.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Thank you Bronco and Tom for reversing course. Listening to your fan base creates loyal fans. Now, lets get back to football.

Go Cougars!

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:22 p.m.

JoeCoug
    OREM, UT

--------------

Well said.

I am NOT a BYU fan, but I know exactly what you are saying. There IS something off about Roscoe, and BYU fans are starting to see it more and more.

This guy decided to implement this stupid idea without ever consulting his boys. That's arrogance at its finest. Here, let me take YOUR jersey and sew this garbage on the back of it... your names don't matter.

What arrogance. And then to set up his boys for embarrassment and humiliation on Media Day when all the cameras can capture it?

This guy has problems.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:24 p.m.

And Roscoe's post-meltdown Tweet... give me a break.

I guarantee someone in the athletic department stepped in IMMEDIATELY and righted this ship, before it had a chance to reach national press.

Roscoe needs to be controlled. His ego needs to be humbled.

The Utes will take care of that September 21.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I am certainly NO fan of BYU, but...

Since day one, Roscoe has been all about the slogans.

The Quest

The Band of Brothers

Now this. If Whittingham did these things, I would be campaigning for his dismissal. Today should be day one for BYU fans in a new "Fire Roscoe" campaign.

LaVell Edwards never would have done a shabby thing like this. He didn't need to. He just won games, period.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Too much social media!!! And too many arm chair quarterbacks and coaches that think they have the knowledge or right to second guess the A.D.'s and head coaches decisions!!! Let's let Tom and Bronco do there jobs and we fans should do ours, which is to support and cheer on our favorite teams!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Utes!!!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Aug. 9, 2013 3:38 p.m.

This just shows the head scratching types of moves that Bronco makes. Kind of like lets sit Lark and have Riley as a QB.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Only at BYU

• MC NM Albuquerque, NM
    Aug. 11, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Traditionally, the spirit at BYU has been to honor the players' hard work by putting their names on their hard-earned jerseys. Let's keep it that way, including for Homecoming!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 12, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Corny and Cheesey. Now it's time to bust out the magic markers and start scribling on each other's arms.