Utah

Newly crowned Miss Riverton, 3 others arrested in explosives investigation

Comments

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 11:44 a.m.

What does the city have to do with this? The Miss Whatever pageants are separate, not governmental, agencies.

OR....do I detect pressure from "outside sources" against the police department for daring to arrest these little angels (adults), and it's up to an emergency city meeting to sort it all out?

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:10 p.m.

Most likely it's an attempt to embarrass and call attention to the accused, who should know better. Stop thinking everything's a conspiracy.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:33 p.m.

Utah beauty queens have been having a difficult time of late.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:36 p.m.

When I woke up this morning, I didn't foresee writing these words today: "Impeach Miss Riverton."

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:38 p.m.

I wonder what the competition looked like? Oh Yeah... Riverton.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:39 p.m.

The irony in our pop culture is that the disgraced pageant winners are the ones we remember.

• Just A Second Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:02 p.m.

I have lived in Riverton. It can be reasonably described as suburbia encroaching on the Wild West. I must say, however, that I can't keep myself from laughing at someone who lists his location as West Valley thinking he is in a position to make fun of Riverton....

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:09 p.m.

She looks pretty stressed out. I hope they learn something and better days are ahead.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:35 p.m.

I guess this beauty queen didn't want world peace.....

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Pretty minimal level of criminal activity here. Except for one of the people being involved In (silly!) beauty pageant stuff, the whole thing is barely newsworthy.

On the bright side, at least these are all native born criminals.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:42 p.m.

"...and if elected Miss Riverton, I will enjoy helping out in the community, volunteering at the hospital and animal shelter, delivering meals to the elderly, organizing neighborhood clean-ups, spearheading recycling efforts, and throwing bombs at innocent people with my friends. Thank you."

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Most of these comments are hilarious!

Of course, the material is inherently comedic.

Thanks for the entertainment!

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:18 p.m.

"Very minimal level of criminal activity here".
    Huh?
    Probably not for a young lady who was going to be vying for the title of "Miss Utah".

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:19 p.m.

People all over the valley do this and worse, even otherwise, "law biding" citizens.

They just happened to get caught.

• Texas Ken Killeen, TX
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:35 p.m.

If she is convicted, I hope she is forced to relinquish her crown. But, to be fair, the pageant should wait (if possible) until after the trial. A person should be regarded as innocent until proven guilty; just being arrested does not prove guilt. If she really is guilty, the honest thing would be for her to voluntarily relinquish her crown. I hope her first runner-up would be a more upstanding ambassador for the City of Riverton.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:40 p.m.

re: DN Subscriber 2

"Pretty minimal level of criminal activity here."

Yeah, other than it being a 1st degree felony under the Utah Criminal Code section 76-10-306(4)(b).

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Sounds like a double date went awry.

• el steve o Herriman, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 3:28 p.m.

I think these so called "bottle bombs" containing a "coctail" of chemicals are probably just Dry ice and water in a bottle. They are indeed loud, and could possibly rupture an eardrum at close proximity, but hardly lethal. The Myth Busters proved it, look it up. They shouldn't have been doing this crazy activity, poor judgment, but hardly worthy of 10 criminal counts.

• Just Wanted to Say Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Miss America contestants (even down to the city title) have rules about this kind of stuff. "She must never have been convicted of any crime and does not have any criminal charges pending. She must never have been engaged in any activity which is or could be characterized as dishonest, immoral, immodest, indecent or in bad taste." Since this Miss was arrested, her title and crown will go to the 1st runner-up.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:09 p.m.

re: el steve o

I get it that the older generation used to greatly entertain themselves with dry ice bombs. Just to be sure that we're not letting our generation create problems for the younger one by promoting the actions as "no big deal". To be clear, I know several youth who now have felonies on their records for setting off "dry ice" bombs.

• collegestudent25 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:21 p.m.

The cocktail of chemicals was likely aluminum and hydrochloride acid. When they react they produce hydrogen gas and aluminum chloride. Like a dry ice bomb with a little acid in it. It is dangerous but not as dangerous as stated in this article.

• Tyrex Austin, TX
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:11 p.m.

In era of suspending elementary kids for pointing their finger like a gun, there is probably much less here than meets the eye. I have a hard time believing this rises to the level of a felony. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a double-date gone awry with the poor judgement of one or two boys trying to impress a couple of girls. I suspect local law enforcement is exaggerating the events to flex their muscle and make a statement. Not uncommon in my community when I was a kid when we did stupid stuff but not necessarily worthy of prime placement on a major news website. Possibly equally poor judgement on the part Riverton FD and PD and Deseret News for playing with people's lives, each for their own reasons. The Bridger Hunt experience from a few years ago reminds us explosive devices can be dangerous. I doubt this was that. The lack of details in the story along with Mecham's claim that it could have killed someone don't make sense. It doesn't sound like the behavior was malicious. It was likely stupid, not well-thought out and worthy of citation.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 5, 2013 9:13 p.m.

Agree. This is not worthy of felony arrest. Yeah these kids need to be scared straight but NOT get a permanent criminal record. People get away with a lot worse offenses with barely a slap on the wrist. Who hasn't done stupid stuff like this when they were a kid? People are way to uptight these days.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:21 p.m.

Keep it classy Riverton!

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:38 p.m.

When I lived in Kearns someone put one of these type of bombs in my mailbox. Blew it up. I found pieces of my mailbox on my roof. Just a teenage prank. I don't think so. Shame on Miss Riverton and the others involved. When I first started driving a bus I car full of teenagers pulled next to me and told me there was a bomb on board. They thought it was a joke. Yes it was a prank and I did not report it. If I had they could have been in serious trouble.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:42 p.m.

I just roared when I read most of these comments, especially the ones about not wanting world peace, someone in West Valley making fun of Riverton and a double date that went awry.

After reading about the death of a missionary in Wyoming and a shooting in Pennsylvania, I needed a good laugh.

Now then, punish the little folks and remind them to act like adults, since they are now 18. And hopefully their embarrassed families will try a little harder to teach their younger siblings about being good citizens.

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:43 p.m.

@GiuseppeG We have way too many felonies on the books. I can see if they were throwing dangerous explosives right at people (and if they were then yes, that, is a problem). But if these were little more than homemade fireworks thrown on driveways I think we need to just let it go. We have enough people with a criminal record who have no chance of getting decent jobs who end up on welfare or homeless as it is-why throw away another kids life over a stupid mistake?

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:47 p.m.

Way to go Miss Riverton!!! NOT smart!

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 12:36 a.m.

Mentos and soda pop. I call for more candy control. There should be a background check for anybody buying soda pop or candy!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 6, 2013 1:42 a.m.

Judges: Umm, hello Miss First Runner Up--remember when we said, "if for any reason our winner is unable to perform her duties.....?"
    Look, I'm not saying she should automatically lose her crown and not be able to compete in the Miss Utah Contest, but there's no way she should be in the running for Miss Congeniality.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:47 a.m.

I can see the made-for-TV drama on Lifetime: "Blond Bombshell: A Night of Terror"

They'll get Linsey Lohan to star in her comeback performance with Paris Hilton as her accomplice. Perhaps they can get Honey Boo Boo Child to be one of the contestants in the Riverton pageant in the lead up to the crime. Can't wait!

• djc Stansbury Park, Ut
    Aug. 6, 2013 1:17 p.m.

These funny bombs are capable of blowing off fingers and creating serious chemical burns to anyone who touches them. Police across the nation are taking them very seriously. The combination of aluminum foil and toilet cleaner creates hydrochloric acid and hydrogen gas. There are various kinds with various bad effects, but commonly it takes 10 minutes to go off.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 9:32 a.m.

re: Say No to BO

Beauty pageants have spawned reality TV.

re: justamacguy

You haven't been keeping on Mayor Bloomberg & NYC; have you?