BYU football: Taysom Hill embraces role as BYU's starting quarterback

Comments

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 4, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Tyson Hill > Travis Wilson. Both these sophomore QB's will have only 1 shot at each other because little brother on the hill doesn't have the moxy to play BYU every year. Hill will be victorious in September.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 5:16 p.m.

We are very excited to see the new offense. Will Hill throw or throw and run? Keep working hard Cougar players because we, Cougar fans, are ready to cheer you on! "Rise and shout, the Cougars are out!" We are ready to see some really exciting BYU football. This is our year!

Go Cougars!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 5:45 p.m.

I watched Taysom Hill at the spring scrimmage. He didn't play in the game portion but he did run plays in the warm ups. Those who don't think he has a deep ball are quickly reaching the middle of being uninformed. His knee then was healing but he ran out of a roll out pass, spotted the linebacker closing on him, accelerated and ran into the end zone on a 10 yard blue zone play. He has wheels and they aren't flat anymore.
    I am excited for the season and just hoping the injury bug passes the team by this year.

• Carolina Blue Fayettevill, NC
    Aug. 4, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Already have my tickets for Virginia. Looking forward to the season opener in Charlottesville.

Hill should be able to grow and develop under the tutelage of Anae. I believe Nelson struggled to do that under Doman.

It'll also be important for Hill to trust that the O-line will step up and protect him. I can't imagine a new QB feeling comfortable leading the offensive when the opposing defense breaks through the line at will.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 6:35 p.m.

They loved Heaps, and then they hated him.
    They loved Nelson, and then they hated him.
    Good luck Hill. You're up against some tough fans.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 6:40 p.m.

SLCWatch,

I agree. I went to the spring game as well and saw Taysom throw several very accurate deep passes. Also saw the play you are talking about and saw zero residual from the injury.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 7:03 p.m.

I'm more excited about Hill's potential than any BYU quarterback in a very long time including the highly touted Jake Heaps. Hill has the physical, mental and emotional abilities and maturity to be a great player and great team leader. He also has a lot of talent around him at the skill positions.

Great to see Skyler Ridley making a big catch on the first day of practice. We need guys like him to be threats to take some of the defensive attention away from Hoffman, Falslev, Friel, Williams etc.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:08 p.m.

This Hill kid was brought in by Doman who wanted a running option type QB who could also throw...occasionally. Last year Hill looked exactly like a running QB who struggled to throw the ball with any accuracy. No doubt Anae will improve Hills throwing ability but don't expect Hill to be the next Max Hall ...throwing the ball at least. I suspect Hill will be a project throwing the ball but he has 3 more years so he has some time and he does have a really good coordinator in Anae.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:31 p.m.

patriot,

Hill's first pass as a Cougar was a dead on pass for a touchdown. And after reviewing some of his passes from last year, I don't think he is as much the project as you would like to think he is.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:34 p.m.

The 45 yard pass is a good sign. This means they are throwing the ball down field for large gains. I look for that in the fall.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 9:01 p.m.

I was glad to see a national publication that saw what Ive been saying about the similarities between Taysom Hill and Tim Tebow. Sporting News: "The next Tim Tebow, Taysom Hill, BYU". Good luck Taysom, if you can lead BYU like Tebow lead Florida we're in good hands. He is only a heisman winner and national champion, but no pressure, lol.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 4, 2013 9:17 p.m.

Don't say it's a man-crush, but I saved that one picture to my BYU football screensaver. The man is ripped.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:11 p.m.

Hill is NOT a Riley Nelson 2.0. Hill is truly a duel threat QB with a strong arm. Doman didn't recruit him. Hill fell into Doman's lap. This kid is special. If he gets any kind of protection and doesn't get injured he is going to do some great things. I think a better comparison for Hill, rather than Tim Tebow, is Steve Young. There is just as much pressure on Anae going into this season as there is on Hill. They both seem to embrace the challenge, however.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Patriot
    Taysom transfered from Stanford when the coaches changed and was not a recruit by Doman. Yes he can run but he has a great arm and can hit the deep...Wait, no he can't. Forget that. Other teams should know he can only throw the 5 yard pass. Yeah, that's the ticket. He's no good at the pass beyond 5 yard so everyone should cheat up. Stack the box because Jaamal is going to eat you up. Pay no attention to all those guys running down field. They are lost don't worry about them, they have to go the the restroom. Nothing to see here folks, move on.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Richland, WA

"...but I saved that one picture to my BYU football screensaver. The man is ripped."
    ************

May I just say that no ripped man will EVER occupy a spot on my screensaver...

but... huh... whatever...

• goforit Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:06 a.m.

Taysom Hill may be a great Quarterback, I think good is more appropriate. BYU may have really good skill players. They look like they have decent linebackers and a couple of very good defensive lineman. With that they probably go 8-4 or 9-3.

The problem is this the offensive line will be horrible. Look how many JC lineman were brought in. It shows that the coaches aren't confident in what they had. It will take time to work these players in. They don't have enough time. Second the secondary has problems. Coaches are still trying to find players. Third injuries, There are only three places they can afford to have an injury, running back, receiver and linebacker. You can't choose where injuries happen and al teams have them.

Because of these issues 4-8 or 5-7 will be what happens this year. Oh by the way I am no Ute fan. Just a fan of college football who tries to be objective. Very uncommon in this state.

• Thefullnancy SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Sooner Ute......

I know Ute fans have also jumped on and off the bandwagon of several QB's,and I was going to give some examples but I just can't remember any of their names them since Alex Smith

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Howard S.
    Taylorsville, UT

I gotta go with Howard on this one Y Grad/Y Dad.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@Cougar Independence

Chuckie Keeton>>>>Taysom Hill>Travis Wilson

• Young_N_Wise West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:00 p.m.

The bigger issue I see from this article is that Apo was not named in the group of people Hill worked out with. Why was Apo not out with Hoffman and Matthews getting passes to him?

• byufanman west valley city, utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Go for it--

How do you know that the offensive line will be horrible? Do you have a crystal ball? Do you know the players that will be playing on the o-line? Personally, I don't think you can make that call until we've played a few games. What do ya think?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 4:53 p.m.

"Chuckie Keeton>>>>Taysom Hill>Travis Wilson"

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:12 p.m.

hope he can throw the ball better than last year...yikes!!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Riverton Cougar
    Riverton, UT

"I think history will show Hill to be the better QB in the long run."

Based on what? I guess in the bubble, if you think it it must be true.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 8:47 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar

"If Chuckie Keeton is better than Taysom Hill, he's not that much better. Then again, either of us could be wrong, but I think history will show Hill to be the better QB in the long run."

How do you figure? Lets compare freshman seasons. (I'll not include Chuckie's phenomenal sophomore season.)

In 6 games, Hill completed 42 passes (59%) for 425 yds, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, and 6 yds/attempt. He was sacked 6 times. That's an average of 7 completions per game for 71 yards, 0.33 INT, 1 sack, and 0.67 TD/game. On the rushing side, Hill rushed 55 times for 334 yds (6 yds/carry) and 4 TDs. Per game, that's 9.2 rushes for 55.7 yds and 0.67 TDs. His QB rating was 122.4.

Cont...

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 8:55 a.m.

...cont.

In 8 games, Keeton completed 106 passes (61%) for 1200 yds, 11 TDs, 2 INTs, and 7 yds/attempt. He was sacked 11 times. That's an average of 13.25 completions per game for 150 yards, 0.25 INT, 1.37 sack, and 1.375 TD/game. On the rushing side, Chuckie rushed 68 times for 293 yards (4.3 ypc)and 4 TDs. Per game, that's 8.5 rushes for 37 yds and 0.5 TDs. His QB rating was 137.4.

It remains to be seen how Taysom will fare in his second season, but unless he puts up some really huge numbers, he's not going to catch Chuckie Keeton. So far, Hill is an average QB with a pretty impressive run game. Keeton is a great QB with a very efficient run game.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:56 p.m.

"Based on what? I guess in the bubble, if you think it it must be true."

Perhaps based on WHO recruited Taysom Hill (Jim Harbaugh). It's not a far-fetched idea.

Aggie238,

You bring up some great points, but it's still not far-fetched to say that Hill might prove to be better in the long run. And again, the phrase "I think" does not equate to saying I am 100% certain.

As far as first season comparisons go, it's a little like apples and oranges. Taysom Hill had the disadvantage of having Star Child Riley Nelson as the beloved starter. Hill saw limited playing time and didn't get much of an opportunity to show how good he could be. An unfortunate and unavoidable injury meant we couldn't see his progression.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 7, 2013 8:15 a.m.

54-10
    Salt Lake City, UT

Howard S.
    Taylorsville, UT

"I gotta go with Howard on this one Y Grad/Y Dad."

We took a vote on it, my wife and I, and we decided that probably pictures of BYU football players were probably more appropriate than pictures of BYU football cheerleaders. I understand that what works for me may not work for everyone.

But if you would like me to share, my pictures of George over the middle and Harline wide open in the end zone are priceless. Looking forward to adding shots of Hoffman, Apo, Faslev and gang from this year!