Faith

LDS Church begins using new temple film

Comments

• StephenT West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:05 a.m.

The first temple film was introduced in 1955 with the dedication of the Swiss Temple (now called Bern Switerzland Temple.) Films have subsequently been used in every temple dedicated since then.

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:58 a.m.

I sure do appreciate this coming out. It is good to see The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints putting information out about what goes on inside the temple after it has been dedicated.

I am increasingly concerned over the selective and evasive approach the Church takes to discuss various aspects of its faith. I am concerned as to why something they say is so important to them is kept behind closed doors and hidden from public knowledge.

If this is so helpful to making Church members better people, why not share it with the community? The public are welcome to hear from missionaries, attend Church activities, classes, and services, listen to General Conference, and go to temple open houses. Why not encourage those not of your faith to attend these wedding ceremonies, endowment proceedings, and other similar events to gain better understanding?

I believe the time has come to put pressure on Church officials and members to please be more forthcoming on temple matters. With the increasing focus recently on the losses of some members of the LDS faith due to inadequate doctrinal understanding, I have serious concerns about the lack of answers to legitimate concerns.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 6:33 a.m.

"Out of reverence for what Latter-day Saints consider the sacred nature of temple worship, Mormons are admonished to be circumspect about discussing the details of temple instruction."

Circumspect?

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    Aug. 3, 2013 8:48 a.m.

@Brother Ben,

It would seem your concerns are parallel with those of a leading religious ruler during Christ's time, who admonished his fellow, "non-Christ following" leaders to steer clear of the Christians. Paraphrasing, if what Jesus did was "of God", and they continued to fight against it, they were decidedly on the wrong side of the equation. On the other hand, if it was not, it would die on its own.

He knew that if Christianity was God-sent, no amount of public pressure would redefine the role or nature of the religion.

While those hapless leaders went on to kill Christ, they definitely did not redefine the gospel, but rather did find themselves decidedly on the "wrong side" from Christ's and his follower's perspective ... and if that gospel was/is true, on the wrong side in the eternities.

If what the Mormons have is "true", no amount of public protest will matter or alter its course -- God won't care what those who choose not to follow him think about His path! If false, it too will fall on its own. Thus it comes down to only one question ... "Is this religion of God?"

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:54 a.m.

@Commen-Tator

I believe in God and Jesus Christ. I believe in right and wrong. I follow the Constitution and worship according to my conscience.

I am not redefining anything. I am asking the LDS Church to talk to people about their temple worship, the clothing, symbols, and so forth. I have tried to do so in a spirit of fellowship and civility. .

I want the truth to be told. And if you stand up for those who promote covering up, sidestepping, and avoiding giving me the truth I ask for, then you are no different than they.

And in the end, I am not going to be on a side that covers things up.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:17 a.m.

So you worship according to your conscience but aren't willing to extend that privilege to the object of your not so veiled derision, the LDS church?

• Daughter of G-d Modesto, CA
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Brother Benjamin Franklin,

You are most welcome to the knowledge of the temple, the same as it is offered to all the world. There is a proscribed manner in which you must be taught the sacred things of the temple. We welcome you to fellowship with the missionaries and embark upon the path of Christ. First, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. Then after a year, after the fruit of your repentance has started to become evident, you are invited to start the process to go to the Holy Temple of The Lord and learn. This process is the same for every member of the church and is offered to all of the world.

Your sister in Christ

• jeanie orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Bro. Ben - Why such a need to know? Are there not things in your life that are sacred to you that out of respect you would not want plastered around the internet and discussed casually or mockingly among strangers? Why so threatened?

"I am concerned as to why something they say is so important to them is kept behind closed doors and hidden from public knowledge."

....precisely because it is so important and sacred to us.

A Scientist

"For most of Church history, temple patrons were essentially threatened with "penalties" if they revealed temple rites."

This has not been an issue for over 20 years. "Circumspect" is an appropriate word.

• Anonyme Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Brother Ben says, "Why not encourage those not of your faith to attend these . . . endowment proceedings, and other similar events to gain better understanding?" Maybe because the purpose of these proceedings is not to promote understanding of the Church; it's to provide members the opportunity to make covenants with God. They're not spectator events. One doesn't have to know every detail of a ceremony to understand its purpose.

"I am asking the LDS Church to talk to people about their temple worship, the clothing, symbols, and so forth." They do. See mormon.org.

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:22 p.m.

@CoachBiff

I hope you don't have a chip on your shoulder. I respect the LDS faith's right to worship. I wrote out their full church name (see above comment). I try hard not to say Mormons, though I mess up. No issues there.

@DaughterofG-d

Thanks for being nicer than CoachBiff. I appreciate your honest response. The concern I have is that your response doesn't answer my questions. But you expressed very clearly the tenets of your belief and I respect your boldness. Thank you.

@Jeanie

I said it before, then why not share it? Why not offer the same joy this gives you to others instead of keeping it for yourself? I don't understand why the LDS members are so thick in this regard.

@Anonyme

I apologize for any implication I may have made. Perhaps the LDS Church can devise special accommodations on a case-by-case basis. This exclusionary attitude troubles me. And are temples not a place to learn, as your scriptures teach? I researched Mormon.org. It is a good website for LDS theology basics. But it lacks in-depth information, which makes my point.

Please respond accordingly. I appreciate your sincerity.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Why not make the film available to the public?

I just don't think the "sacred" argument holds any water.

Unless you are suggesting nothing that happens outside the Mormon temples is sacred

Is nothing that happens in your regular churches "sacred"?

And yet the public is open to see and hear what goes on there correct?

I think the reason the temple is kept secret is the truth of what happens would scare the public.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Scientist,

What penalties?

Were Mormons previously kicked out of the church for acknowledging what happens in temples years ago?

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Jeanie,

I would appreciate some info from a Mormon, so thank you in advance if you are willing to actually answer questions, and not just bounce around the subject.

You seem to admit something changed 20 years ago in the temples is that right?

Just curious, did god change his mind on something 20 years ago?

And what was that?

I thought Lds doctrine was that god didn't change?

Does that mean that whatever happened previous to 20 years ago was incorrect?

Thanks if you are willing to ANSWER

• jeanie orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:34 p.m.

Brother Ben -

When things are shared with anyone there are many that would trash it and treat it with disrespect - as already happens with websites showing pictures of "Mormon under clothes" along with mocking comments.

Temple attendance isn't like a beautiful picture set in public for all to see and take or leave as they will. It's a place set apart from the trenches of everyday life where the faithful make promises to live a more Christ-like life and feel closer to God.

Maybe you are sincere in knowing what makes the temple so special for LDS members. Not everyone is. How does an organization who believes in sacred things keep them sacred? They seek out the sincere and not just the curious - even among its own members. Everyone doesn't want what the temple has to offer. They don't want the commitments a temple worthy member has. The temple is reserved for those who are willing to make the commitments and sacrifices necessary to attend.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:50 p.m.

Brother Benjamin Franklin wants to "put pressure on Church officials and members to please be more forthcoming" about the temple. He is doing this, he says "in a spirit of fellowship and civility."

Yet he uses pejorative language and offensive words.

There should be little wonder why Latter-day Saints do not want to parade their most sacred experiences before a public who describe us as "selective and evasive," and who accuse us of "covering up, sidestepping, and avoiding giving me the truth I ask for."

It's hard to take seriously any "concerns about the lack of answers to legitimate concerns" when the language says only, "I demean your beliefs, your practices, and your people, and I have an overwhelming curiosity about what goes on 'behind closed doors and hidden' from those who wish to be critical."

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:11 p.m.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who wants to know what goes on in a Mormon temple, simply out of curiosity, can get it all online. You don't think that anyone has surreptitiously recorded it all on their iphone and posted it to Youtube? You don't think anyone has written it down word-for-word and posted on the internet? A very brief part of a quote by Hugh Nibley--"Anyone who would reveal these things has not understood them...." Nor do I think you'll understand it.

Without a proper foundation, it will be meaningless to you. But have a go. It's all there for you.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Lvis,

The fact that such information is available doesn't change the fact the Mormon church tries to hide such things.

Frankly, the missionaries talked to me a few times as my ex wife was a mormon, but it was partly my research and learning about the temples via the Internet that I politely told the missionaries "please do not ever return"

So the question remains, why hide it?

And as I have stated, "sacred" doesn't work unless you are saying nothing in the Mormon church outside of the temple is sacred.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:44 p.m.

@ Christopher B/Chris B from Salt Lake and Ogden:

You ask, "So the question remains, why hide it?"

Again, consider your approach to such subjects, and you will see why some things in Mormonism are supposed to be so sacred that we might not want to discuss them outside certain parameters.

There are things in everyone's life that should be so. "Intimacy" and "sacredness" in our private/family lives could even be considered synonymous. If you don't see that, it might be why you don't see the sacredness of the temple.

In your own posts, however, you betray language that suggests that you would not treat what we consider sacred to be sacred.

Further, why would you be so concerned about what goes on in the temple if, as you say, "it was partly [your] research and learning about the temples via the Internet that [you] politely told the missionaries 'please do not ever return'"?

• jeanie orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Christopher B.

The changes were in wording, not principles.

So, does God change? As much as a parent whose children grow from toddlers to teenagers. They are the same parents who want to teach their children the same principles but they use age appropriate language. God is not a statue carved in stone and ridged. He is a parent who can change methods to teach the same principles according to the changing needs of His children.

That's the best I can do for you. :)

BTW most people understand there are varying levels of sacredness. It is not all or nothing.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Jeff,

What have I said that shows I won't respect information?

I am simply asking for information.

The fact I disagree with the reasons I have heard for hiding information doesn't mean I am disrespectful.

I have not made fun or laughed at your temples.

I just point out what I notice.

Jeanie,

I appreciate the response. It may even be a logical response, based on this next clarification.

So just to be clear, overnight 20 years ago god decided that his children were now different than they had been in previous years?

• Anonyme Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Brother Ben, I'm sorry you didn't find the answers you were looking for at mormon.org. There is even more information at lds.org under Resources, and then Temples. Perhaps then you will understand why the Church doesn't provide the "in-depth information" you're asking for.

Christopher B., many places can be considered sacred. To the LDS, our chapels and even our homes are sacred. We recognize the sanctity of places of worship of other faiths. But the temple has a unique purpose and function from all other religious buildings. It is the most sacred place, for us, on earth, and we believe God has set the requirements for who may enter it. I think you understand the difference between trying to "hide such things" and keeping them sacred.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:13 p.m.

I thought the film was GREAT

• Anonyme Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:14 p.m.

From the October 2010 Ensign special issue on temples, probably available at LDS distribution centers: "The designation of certain buildings for special ordinances, as distinguished from regular places of worship, is not new. This was the practice in ancient Israel, where the people worshipped regularly in synagogues. Their most sacred place was, first, the tabernacle in the wilderness with its Holy of Holies, and then a succession of temples, where special ordinances were performed and where only those who met the required qualifications could participate in these ordinances.

"So it is today. When [the temple] is dedicated it becomes the house of the Lord, vested with a character so sacred that only members of the Church in good standing are permitted to enter. It is not a matter of secrecy. It is a matter of sanctity" (Gordon B. Hinckley).

• terlds Ogden, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:32 p.m.

Chris B & Brother Ben,
    Would you want people to know every detail that goes on in your bedroom? I would hope not. There are just some things that are too personal to share with just anybody. I am sorry you feel that the LDS church is hiding things from you. As was mentioned before, not even every member can attend the temple.It is reserved for those who are ready. Would you teach a two year old advanced Algebra? I don't think so. They are not ready for that. The temple is the same concept.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:39 p.m.

Christopher B.
    "Overnight" is likely not a good characterization. Children don't change overnight, but at some point a parent has to make adjustments. I don't know the mind of God but, yes, the cultural climate changed, people changed with it and I believe that's why adjustments were made. This is the beauty of having a living prophet who can guide according to current times.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:40 p.m.

@Christopher B
    "Scientist,

What penalties?"

How to put this in a way that answers the question that would be allowed and fair and respectful... you know how children have that phrase when making promises that goes "cross my heart, hope to die"? It was kinda like that. Nobody ever actually was killed or injured in any way over breaking that promise not to disclose the particular information. Church standing and what they thought of with regards to eternal standing well... that's a different matter.

• ShortGuy West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 4:32 p.m.

@ Brother Ben:

Can I have your social security number? I promise I won't do anything bad with it.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 4:45 p.m.

Chris B

Knowing that you're Catholic...

Why doesn't the pope open up every thing in the Vatican?
    Why the secrecy when a pope is selected?

Why Chris... Why?

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:00 p.m.

One basic premise: Did God reveal to man the rites found in LDS Temples, including the various modifications made over the past 180 or so years? If your answer is yes, then it's quite easy to go with the idea that with said knowledge obtained in LDS temples comes associated responsibilities and accountability, with the understanding that a loving God would not burden someone with an accountability that they were not ready for. If your answer is no, Joseph Smith made up the whole thing with a generous borrow from the Masons, and subsequent LDS Church leaders have changed it as part of some grand fraud being perpetrated on LDS Church members, then you likely find the whole sacredness issue odd to say the least. Certainly it's only a matter of time before the geniuses behind the Book of Mormon play or others of a similar mindset, bring the LDS temple ceremony out into the open to mock and make a buck. It won't change that while standing on what they believe is hallowed ground, LDS Church members make what they believe are sacred covenants with their God in perhaps the most important acts of their lives.

• rgo beverly hills, CA
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Humors to read/hear the "unfairness" or demand of special privileges, new rules/guidelines because selfishly they want something others have to pay or obey to have. Why someone demands entrance to a LDS temple based on "their" rules is absurd. Logic dictates... you will not respect it as the MILLIONS who do abide THE agreed to guidelines. It's a very selfish, self-serving, egocentric, etc... request.

The principle of entrance to this building is a universal principle (definition for dummies): "No shirt, no service."
    ie: Visiting Rome, I was wearing shorts the day we went to the Vatican, I was not allowed in St. Peter's. "No shorts" is one of the guidelines... is that UN-Christian? Is that bizarre? Is that unlawful? Non-religious? Why can't I go into the Enclave when the Cardinals debate and vote? School, restaurants, ie: "no shirt, no entrance..." So what did I do, complain to everyone? No one cared who were walking in freely because they all were observing the rules. I went back to the hotel and changed. I was graciously and happily allowed to enter. Shocking, I adhered to their rules.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Lots of cultures have sacred knowledge that is not open to outsiders or those within the culture who have not been properly initiated. About 20 years ago an anthropologist came to the UofU and spike on sacred Navajo practices amd beliefs. Native Americans who attended the lecture wrote that they felt physicslly ill to hear him talk about things that were absolutely sacred to them. My Navajo friend who was LDS told me,"How would you feel if someone talked about the temple ceremony?"
    I have run across sacred chants in old archives which, in earlier times, were sacred in certain cultures and out of respect, I don't circulate or post them. It is tapu - sacred.
    The view in some cultures is if someone gets sacred knowledge without being properly prepared 1) it won't help them because they won't understand and 2) it may even harm them. I recognize the same thing in Mormon culture, There are tests of worthiness to get a temple recommend. This i s how someone prepares themselves so they will be ready to learn when they enter the temple.

• zoar63 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:09 p.m.

@A Scientist

Actually that is not the case. It was more like if a soldier was captured by the enemy he would suffer death rather than reveal information. There never was a threat.

• Warren Zeigler NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:57 p.m.

In today's world even the name of God is used casually and as a very common curse. All things from and about God are sacred. Part of becoming like him is to keep such things sacred in our minds and souls. Also, as Jesus taught right after appearing to the Nephites in 3 Nephi 11, He is come, then and now, to eliminate contention on points of His teachings. If we cannot even avoid taking His name in vain, as per the 10 commandments, why should He open other sacred things for debate and debasement? All things pertaining to salvation are taught. Everything about entering into the gate is open. Many other things along the path are not. Jesus used parables to avoid damaging and damning the souls of those not ready for advanced concepts. His teachings in the Temples are just another example of this concept. One thing at a time for everything. Line upon line, as Isaiah wrote.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 6:17 p.m.

RE: Jeff,“Excuse us, please, if you ask for "some info from a Mormon," and we decline to give the "info" you want, because it's clear from what you say that you would have no intention of respecting the info we gave you.” True,

Joseph Smith, ”These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the Holy Prophets be brought to pass. It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the prophets; but those things which existed prior o Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued (HofC v. 4 p. 211-21)

I said nothing in Secret.(John 18:20 NIV)

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 6:56 p.m.

Sammy, the pope should not hide anything. You mistakenly assume because I am catholic I support everything the Catholic Church does. I don't.

Swing and a miss for ya there Sammy.

No, I don't blindly follow

I think truth, if it is truth, should be open and shared

• zoar63 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:26 p.m.

@From Teds Head

"Certainly it's only a matter of time before the geniuses behind the Book of Mormon play or others of a similar mindset, bring the LDS temple ceremony out into the open to mock and make a buck."

They already did it in Big Love. Now Big Love is just a footnote in entertainment history and the Church is still intact despite Big Loves insensitivities. I did notice after that episode aired, nobody really cared. If the writers thought they were going to shock the world they were probably terribly disappointed. And the BOM Broadway play after a few years will also become a footnote but the Book of Mormon will still survive.

• Carolina Blue Fayettevill, NC
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:35 p.m.

I can understand the criticism that basically goes "If the church wants to grow in the 21st century, they should be more transparent". Indeed, the church has, over the last two decades, made more historical artifacts available than ever before.

However, when it comes to being transparent about temple activities, there should be parity in this demand. If individuals outside the church demand the church be more open about what goes on in the temple, they should first appreciate what church members demand, which is respect for sacred matters. I sincerely doubt that such respect would be garnered from making a temple video public.

Transparency is mutually beneficial up to a very clear point.

• SWilk Milwaukee, WI
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:03 p.m.

@Brother Benjamin, long post = more than one comment:

I relate to you. I enjoy learning as much as possible about things that are important to good people and, from what you have written, it sounds like you want to know more about temple rituals in order to glean whatever goodness you can from them. From your posts, I feel very comfortable giving you the benefit of the doubt and I think that desire is noble.

As a Christian, you undoubtedly know about the Mount of Transfiguration. It was a spectacular and (dare I use the word in this tread?) sacred event, a grand exercise of heavenly, Priesthood authority. Upon the Mount the heavens and the earth connected, the Divine and the mortal met. In discussion with the Lord about the event on the way back to the other apostles, something intriguing happens: Christ bars what they may say about it. "And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead." (Matt. 17:9) NO man? Not even the other apostles? No.

• SWilk Milwaukee, WI
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:22 p.m.

@Brother Benjamin 2/2:

Imagine the conversation between the three and one of the other nine. "James, you all looked so moved when you came down the mountainside. You were happy, but quiet and reflective. What happened up there?"

"I'm sorry Thomas, the Lord has told me not to tell you yet."

"But please James, it must have been incredible judging by how you looked when you came down. Tell me just a bit; just explain what happened—you don't even have to go into too much detail."

"I'm sorry Thomas, I cannot."

It took faith to trust that Christ was right.

Brother Benjamin, one day perhaps you will learn in great detail all that happens in and is associated with temple worship. May I suggest that, like the apostles of old, the best way to learn about sacred things that He, the Lord, has explicitly told us not to share, is to faithfully follow Him. He will prepare you. Perhaps that is why we do not share much about temple worship: it is not ours to share, for it belongs to Christ. Continue coming to Him and He will share it with you when and how He wants.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:16 p.m.

I wonder where some of you folks get your info. I have been attending the temple for 42 years. As of yet, I have not heard one single utterance from any Church leader, from Salt Lake or anywhere else, that had any appearance of a threat. Using a "threat" in conjunction with what we consider to be most sacred would be to demean the temple to say the least.

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:20 p.m.

To Brother BF and everyone else who has something to say about t he LDS Church and their beliefs.

Why do you care what they do or don't do in the Temple? It is just the same as why do you care what your neighbor is doing? You need to get a life!

• Homeron Morgan, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 1:27 a.m.

Thank goodness the church has updated the film. Because of recent changes the movie was pieced together in a number of places. And of course outdated it felt like I was watching .... well I was watching a 20 year old rerun. The church does such a great job on the church website and even now having the council the 12 and the Prophet on Facebook and Google+ so many modern technologically advancements but we still had a 20 year old movie when we went to the temple so this is a great move I'll make sure to go see it this week.

• johnthomasjones St. George, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 1:55 a.m.

There is a difference between reverence and keeping secrets to avoid being embarrassed.

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    Aug. 4, 2013 7:43 a.m.

I certainly do not think the Church should openly discuss what goes on in the Temple because some people are demanding openness. My reason for suggesting it be discussed openly is for an entirely different reason. The ceremonies that occur in the Temple have been filmed and posted on the YouTube. Rather than letting rogue members control the disclosure, maybe the Church should?

• jdeeg Tooele, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:36 a.m.

@Brother Benjamin Franklin 1 of 4

Most of the knowledge you are searching for concerning the Temples is found in the Scriptures. This includes the Holy Bible (Old and New Testaments), The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. I have been attending the LDS church for almost 40 years now, with the past 17 years being worthy to participate in Temple worship. I have not seen the newly updated film, mainly because the Temple I attend most frequently is the Salt Lake Temple, which has not started using any of the films.

If you have attended an LDS Sunday worship (sacrament meeting), or a Baptism, you might notice that occasionally, the prayers are redone, if a mistake in the wording is made. The same thing occurs in the Temples when a mistake is made in the wording. The films help to prevent wording mistakes and allow for less Temple workers for Temple worship. The approximate time for worship with a film is about 1 ½ hours, and without a film is about 2 hours.

• jdeeg Tooele, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:37 a.m.

@Brother Benjamin Franklin 2 of 4

As most of my Temple worship has been at the Salt Lake City Temple, I have listened to many mistakes in wordings, as well as the corrections made immediately thereafter. I have had the time to ponder why things are worded in a specific way, and have also found that many of the exact wordings are found word for word in the scriptures, however they are not all in one place or order.

God is teaching everyone on earth continually and allows us to accept the teaching or reject it. When we accept God’s teachings, God gives us more teachings or clarifications of teachings and allows us to do the same with these. In this way, we are only held responsible for our decisions concerning the teachings/clarifications that God has given to us. This is the “Milk” before the “Meat” that is referred to in Hebrews 5.

• jdeeg Tooele, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:38 a.m.

@Brother Benjamin Franklin 3 of 4

In 1 Corinthians 13 Paul tells us that when we are young in gospel knowledge, it is like looking ‘through a glass, darkly;’ Then he says that he now sees ‘face to face:’ but only knows ‘in part;’ and that eventually he will know all about God even as he is known by God. Where are you at in your learning of God’s teachings?

As I have studied and participated in the LDS faith, it has brought me to the Temple. The Temple didn’t change what I had already learned from the scriptures, it clarifies it. It simply reiterates in a short, condensed, organized manner what is already talked about in the scriptures, and includes covenants/promises concerning these gospel teachings.

• jdeeg Tooele, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:39 a.m.

@Brother Benjamin Franklin 4of 4

In Matthew 6, Christ speaks about those who practice fasting and ‘disfigure their faces, hat they may appear unto man to fast.’ Christ says that their reward is the acknowledgement of others. He then stresses that when we are building are relationships with our Father(Heavenly) through ordinances and or covenants that this should be done in a solemn manner away from the view of others, and says that when the Father ‘seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.’ I know of some people who have shared these sacred ordinances with those not of the LDS faith, or members of the LDS faith who are not Temple worthy. I have seen that they have received acknowledgement of others, but they have lost the promised blessings for keeping them sacred, just like those who fast for men to see, instead of for God to see.

• Clrvue St. George, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 12:50 p.m.

I enjoyed the new film. It gives great insight into the event outlined in the sacred ordinance. The film talent of those who put it together is phenomenal. I look forward to going again.

Anyone has access to this film. Talk to your local bishop for details on how you can access this information.

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 1:51 p.m.

I actually went and looked at the information out there. I proceeded to watch this film and had a very bad feeling from the moment it started, so I turned it off.

I'm not going to say that I had some kind of amazing spiritual experience, but I do know right and wrong. I have tried to be respectful and sensitive of things as best I know. And this did not feel appropriate for some reason.

I then visited one of the temples locally. It will suffice to say that the workers and members were all very friendly and happy to answer questions regarding the temple. One of them even walked around the outside and in the waiting area showing me different things people can do while they wait for others who are inside.

I still think the LDS Church can and should be more forthcoming regarding the temple, but I apologize to all LDS members here for any insensitivity communicated through my comments.

I ask commenters like Christopher B to please be careful regarding what you write. The LDS temple visit I made exceeded my expectations. Why not visit the temple and see it for yourself?

• Anonyme Orem, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Wow, Brother BF! No apologies needed. Thanks for your honesty, sensitivity, and respect.

• 3GrandKeys Walnut Creek, CA
    Aug. 4, 2013 3:41 p.m.

It's embarrassing when you're a member of the LDS faith and a friend outside the faith tells you something they discovered on the internet about the history of your most sacred rituals (such as the penalties, among a few other things I won't mention) and you laugh and tell them they're most certainly wrong only to discover later that they knew more about your religion than you did. I think there's a case for at least making the history of temple worship and how it's done more available to LDS members from official sources.

• AkMama ANCHORAGE, AK
    Aug. 4, 2013 5:44 p.m.

@Brother Benjamin Franklin

Perspective is an interesting thing. In 1981 I was shown a filmstrip about the temp,e to prepare me to go. After seeing it I thought, that didn't tell me anything about the temple ceremony. I went to the temple, received my Endowment and entered the MTC. One of our teachers showed the same filmstrip saying he felt impressed to do so. After having been to the temple my reaction was, wow, they told us everything about the temple ceremony. The actual wording is sacred, the concepts, in my opinion, are openly taught.

Can't remember if it was The Hose of The Lord or The Holy Temple.

• Rita52 ANN ARBOR, MI
    Aug. 4, 2013 6:02 p.m.

I have been a temple worker for many years, and attended the temple long before that. Here are a few things non- or former members CAN know:
    1. The temple ceremonies used to take almost 3 hours; they have been shortened as circumstances and needs have changed. The work is accelerating, and more needs to be done in the same 24/7 as before. The doctrines and covenants have not changed, only the presentation.
    2. New films are released from time to time to reflect the growing membership and changing demographics of the Church, but, again, the doctrines and covenants do not change.
    3. How many high schooler graduates would be admitted to an advanced post-graduate course in any university? Is it because they are being shut out? No, it's because the are not prepared for the knowledge and teaching to be found there. The Lord has set the requirements for entrance into His "university", and anyone willing to meet them is welcomed and encouraged to come and learn. The basic requirements have been ably stated by others here. Complete your "bachelor's degree" and you will be ready for the temple.

• Rita52 ANN ARBOR, MI
    Aug. 4, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Elliott, you are confusing co-incidence with causality. Just because one thing looks like another superficially does not mean that one is a direct result of the other. The temple ceremony was revealed by God, and, according to Him, was around long before Freemasonry. There are bits of the temple ceremony in ancient Egyptian temple rites, some African nativist rites and religious observances throughout Asia. This alone would presuppose an ancient source that predates all of them. Try reading Dr. Hugh Nibley's excellent treatises on the ancient origins of temple worship.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Because it is sacred and only for those who choose to be worthy to and to live their lives in according to God's will. It is not something you take lightly...it is sacred and only for those who are found worthy.

• Demisana South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:26 p.m.

There's nothing that goes on in a temple that anybody needs to worry about. Our desire to keep it private and sacred instead of inviting disrespect by making it public is only offensive to those who would love to mock it, and feel thwarted. Most of it is in the scriptures which are publicly available, and it is only the covenants and additional details that are not public.

Would you share all the details of your family relationships? Private conversations with your family members? Is every contract made public? Do you not have concerns about government invasion of privacy? What if they lose control over the data they are collecting, and all of your financial information and emails were made public? It really is not so different.

• Bill Fitz LAKE BLUFF, IL
    Aug. 4, 2013 9:32 p.m.

Would a person attend high school before finishing grade school? Of course not. Do we have baptised members go through the Temple right away? of course not. Dedication, understanding and commitment are needed before giving a person calculus before basic math.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:30 p.m.

@Rita 52,The basic requirements have been ably stated by others here. Complete your "bachelor's degree" and you will be ready for the temple.

The True Temple for Christians is Jesus. “destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up” (John 2:19). After Christ’s resurrection the meaning of these words became plain, when Jesus spoke of the destruction of the temple, he was speaking of his own body (John 2:22).

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.( Col 2:15 -17).

RE: Jeff, “The endowment was and is a ceremony that can be adapted to the needs of its audience. Brigham Young attempted to introduce the concept of Adam-God into the endowment, as far as it had been revealed to him and he was able to interpret.

• agb Layton, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:38 a.m.

Chris B:

The Catholic Church kept people from having access to the bible for centuries. Care to explain why?

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:12 a.m.

"I am not redefining anything. I am asking the LDS Church to talk to people about their temple worship, the clothing, symbols, and so forth. I have tried to do so in a spirit of fellowship and civility."

@Brother Ben.

I believe you are asking in sincerity and with pure intent to inquire about something that is sacred to many members of the LDS Church. There are reasons why these symbols are kept sacred because they can only be understood within a certain context and through the Holy Spirit. That context is provided in the temple.

While it seems as though members are trying to keep it secret is farther from the truth. If a car driving along the highway only contained temple going members, it would still be inappropriate to discuss the temple ritual despite the fact that they all know what goes on in the temple but rather the lack of context.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:15 a.m.

@Red Corvette

I received my endowments long after the penalties were removed from the temple ritual. I suspect like everything else in the temple, they were symbolic in nature.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:48 a.m.

I hope that new temple film come out in HD format this time. I have seen two different version of old one.

• Cnd140 Selma, OR
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I have read the comments and wonder if some people are sincere in their questions. If you are here are the answers. When you were a teenager and learning to drive, did your instructor check that you followed safety protocol every time you got into the car to drive? Parents are loving and want to make sure you are safe, so they check and recheck that you stay safe. Our Heavenly Father wants to make sure we are safe too, so he gave us info to help us know how sacred the temple ordinance are. When we progressed, He has let us know that He believes us capable of knowing how sacred things in the temple are, so he doesn't have to check that we are following safety measures, and not succumbing to pressure from anywhere.it until our children are old enough to handle a car before we put them behind the wheel. Same goes for what happens in the temple. Everyone who goes there has to be mature in the gospel to understand what happens there. Would you give your checking account info to everyone. (continued)

• Cnd140 Selma, OR
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:16 a.m.

In continuing with why not tell everything we know or do?

As for the same car, we wait until our children are old enough to handle a car before we put them behind the wheel. Same goes for what happens in the temple. Everyone who goes there has to be mature in the gospel to understand what happens there. Would you give your checking account info to everyone who asks it of you? NO You would see why, and how they use that info. What goes on in the temple is even more important that that, so please understand we actually want you there, just go through the same process we all have gone through to get there, and ALL of your questions will be answered, and you will embark on the most amazing and precious adventure of your life. You will grow in knowledge for all eternity. Please come and take the time to REALLY investigate and research the knowledge you seem to want so badly.

But if you are NOT sincere, then why even ask?

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:19 a.m.

My temple worship is personal. I don't even talk about it with my wife unless we are in the temple's celestial room. It would seem inappropriate anywhere else.

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:22 a.m.

First of all, nothing is "hidden." It is available to everyone, but you must QUALIFY to participate. Organizations around the world have standards set up to qualify to participate in specific events/functions.

The Church will not be making any changes to how people are invited to attend. Because temples are the Lord's house and HE decides who is invited and how they qualify. If the Lord deems such changes, He will make them. And no amount of pressure from "interested parties" is going to be successful.

Again, as stated above. All are invited to come unto Him, but He has made it plain that strait is the gate and narrow is the way.

• Joseph M USA, CO
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:25 a.m.

For those curious about what happens in the Temple and why we don't make the details public
    it is important to understand that temple instruction comes with covenants and can't be
    separated from them. Participation in these covenants and knowledge of the signs and
    tokens puts a person under obligation to live by them. While we believe that every one will
    be judged according to the light they have received "he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation." (D&C 82:3) As such giving someone unprepared detailed knowledge of the Temple feels like the spiritual equivalent of handing a loaded handgun to a 4 year old.

There is actually a lot more available from the Church on the temple than is generally recognized.
    I recommend the section on Temples at LDS.org, reading the Temple Preparation Manual.
    (Search preparing to enter the holy temple @LDS.org).
    Also, look at the research done on temples at the Maxwell Institute(FARMS), The Temple Sties Group, Academy for Temple Studies,and FAIR.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Aug. 5, 2013 9:11 a.m.

At least for the time being, people have a right to keep aspects of their lives private. Why is it that so many people here are demanding access to what is kept private? Should we also open up men's and women's locker rooms to the public -- after all, if they don't have anything to hide, when then are there closed doors? What are people ashamed of? People may also be curious about my sex life, but I'm not puting that out there for public display or comment either. For me and my wife, that is something that is also sacred -- and we don't discuss it in church or in a temple or in front of a National Enquirer reporter.

I certainly don't think that the private temple ceremonies of the LDS people are harming anyone. If someone thinks otherwise, they'll need to give specific examples.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 9:46 a.m.

At the time of the previous 2 movies that this one likely replaces, there were also some major changes to the temple endowment in 1990 which the church announced as well.

Are we to assume that there are additional changes to the temple endowment with this new film?

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:03 a.m.

With so many "secret combinations" in the world today, and many of them carrying out lethal activities around the world, it is reasonable that the general public is suspicious of the LDS Temple "secrets".

Likewise, it is unreasonable for many commenters here to disparage and treat with hostility questions and calls for transparency made in good faith by individuals who have connections to or interest in the LDS community.

It is public knowledge that Mormons have been treated with suspicion since its founding, and millions continue to be suspicious of what goes on in LDS Temples. Historical facts, as well as relatively recent revelations of what has gone on in Mormon offshoot group Temples further add to the suspicion.

Which is why I am surprised when comments here by defenders (why are they defensive?) try to explain the secrecy with comparisons to what goes on in locker rooms/bathrooms, what goes on in bedrooms. Those analogies only heighten suspicions.

And as Chris B has pointed out, justifying "secrecy" by invoking "sacredness" fails because many public things in Mormonism are "sacred" yet not cloaked in secrecy.

Unfortunately, too many comments here only increase suspicion, suggesting it is warranted.

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    Aug. 5, 2013 10:46 a.m.

I'll out myself right up front...I'm a non-member. It seems to me that those calling for the CoJCoLDS to be "forthcoming" about temple doings on are not really interested in learning about them from a purely academic motive. As others have said, it is all on the net. Not only is it there, it is so easy to find not only transcripts but actual films that even my dog could find it and trust me he is not that bright. The intent then seemingly becomes one of an attempt to ridicule or disparage the ceremonies. It is like bullies who point fingers and make fun of the different kids in school. Frankly, I couldn't care less what they do there because the true test of any belief system is the quality of the people. I also have yet to have a single person take me up on my offer to help them prove the church is false. They choose to mock the church by showing their garments with bullet holes in them.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 11:14 a.m.

But beyond the secrecy and suspicion issue, Brother Benjamin makes an important point: if what is taught in Temples is so wonderful and beneficial, why not give it away for free to the whole world?

Many defenders make an analogy with math, saying you don't teach calculus before a student has mastered algebra.

But we also don't keep calculus "secret" and restrict those who can have access to it. Anyone can open up a calculus text at any time.

Not so with the "higher math" of the Mormon Temples.

If the "higher math" of LDS temples is so valuable and wonderful, then it is unethical to withhold it from the world.

Others make the empty declaration "all are invited! You just have to do it the right way!" This is an obvious copout, just as (in)effective in protecting horrible, lethal secrets in doomsday cults and terrorist cells.

The only reason for secrecy that holds any weight is the desire to not be mocked. But then we must wonder what is going on that is so fragile? And what a poor image of "outsiders" is assumed by such a paranoia? You distrust your fellow man so profoundly?

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 11:26 a.m.

Most people want to be privy to the secrets of others but to retain their own privacy.

God commanded the construction of a temple anciently; not everyone could enter every part of the temple, one part could only be entered by the high priest once a year.

Jesus visited the Temple at Jerusalem when he was twelve, and often taught there. He twice cleansed it of the profiteering money changers and said "Zeal for Thy House has eaten me up". The temple and especially the inner sanctuary was kept sacred. When it was defiled it ultimately was destroyed. In Jeremiah's day the temple was secretly used by apostates for pagan worship. It was soon thereafter destroyed.

After the death of Christ the apostles John and Peter went up to the temple at the hour of prayer.
    That temple was also destroyed, again because of general apostasy. This time it was the Romans, not the Babylonians who did it.

Finally the sons of Levi will AGAIN offer an offering to the Lord in righteousness.

• angela_flute52689 Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:17 p.m.

For those who are asking why temple privileges are restricted to faithful Church members and not the general public, it's not because we're trying to keep things from you; it's that these experiences are for those who are prepared. We are judged based on what we know and covenants we have made. If you were to participate, you would receive knowledge you're not ready for and make covenants you're not prepared to keep because you don't have a testimony of or understand the sacredness of them. Expecting this of you isn't fair. Since God is fair and gives us each what we need, he has instructed that the temple ceremonies be kept for those who are prepared and found worthy.

[see my next comment for a quote from Elder Packer about this]

• angela_flute52689 Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:18 p.m.

"The ordinances and ceremonies of the temple are simple. They are beautiful. They are sacred. They are kept confidential lest they be given to those who are unprepared. Curiosity is not a preparation. Deep interest itself is not a preparation. Preparation for the ordinances includes preliminary steps: faith, repentance, baptism, confirmation, worthiness, a maturity and dignity worthy of one who comes invited as a guest into the house of the Lord. We must be prepared before we go to the temple. We must be worthy before we go to the temple. There are restrictions and conditions set. They were established by the Lord and not by man. And, the Lord has every right and authority to direct that matters relating to the temple be kept sacred and confidential." - Elder Boyd K. Packer, "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple"

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:21 p.m.

If you are not a member of the LDS Church and are curious about what goes on in inside the temples, all you have to do is join the church, be an active member, living all the principles, be a full tithe payer, Serve others, and want to be with you family forever, then ou too can attend the Temples of the Church of Jesus Chirst of Latter Day Saints. if not then you will not be able to experience the sacred information that goes on in the Temples, or have an eternal family. You might want to stop and think about this, Your Ancestors are waiting.

• angela_flute52689 Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Also, part of the reason you don't get to know everything before you go is that's silly - if you know it all before you go, what's the point of providing that info once you're there? It would just be repetitive. That aside though, FAITH is probably the biggest reason it's not all made known before aside from worthiness/preparedness. If you're a member of the Church with a testimony and you're preparing for the temple, obviously you have faith in God and trust that the temple will be great. Pretty much everything except specifics about different ordinances is covered in Elder Packer's book "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple" that you can get at Deseret Book.

• CVgal Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Stop trying to make sense with the two or three people on here that just desire to keep their own opinion. It won't do anything to change them......

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:46 p.m.

@grandmagreat
    "if not then you will not be able to experience the sacred information that goes on in the Temples, or have an eternal family. You might want to stop and think about this, Your Ancestors are waiting."

You want to know why people have issues with proxy baptisms? It's because you think someone like my grandmother weren't good enough. That her life, her actions, her faith, her baptism in the Catholic church, Christ's sacrifice... all of it is insufficient to you. Apparently Christ's sacrifice is worthless without some other person happening to stumble upon her records (which in her case of course is easy because after all she was alive 15 years ago) and happening to perform some action on her behalf. It's not biblical when salvation is dependent on someone other than that individual and Christ. Stop and think about that.

• Grannilo Pensacola, FL
    Aug. 5, 2013 12:49 p.m.

I logged in to read comments about new film and all I have seen is a lot of unrelated and unnecessary debate and fault finding.

• MHBSaltLakeCity West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:47 p.m.

There are many reasons why the information is kept in the temple. The most important is the more you know the more you are accountable for. It is darning to not meet the requirements of the temple, but to know what goes on. If you aren't living the requirements and you know what goes on you will be held accountable for it. The more you know the more you will be judged based on what you know and so ignorance is bliss phrase is applicable here.

Another reason is the information learned is high level and its like Calculus level math. You don't introduce calculus info to an elementary level normal kid they won't be able to understand/comprehend the calculus without prior education. Members of the church are given the education needed so they can understand what is taught in the temple, and even then it is hard for some members to understand. To give the information to people with prior education and say do this calculus test you won't be able to understand. Join and learn what you can so you can understand the temple teachings! So if you want to know join.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 1:50 p.m.

"Preparation for the ordinances includes preliminary steps: faith, repentance, baptism, confirmation, worthiness, a maturity and dignity worthy of one who comes invited as a guest into the house of the Lord."

And here, after all, is the crux of the issue: Mormons think me and people like me are too "unworthy, immature, and undignified" for god's tastes.

Need any more be said?

• MHBSaltLakeCity West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:09 p.m.

@atl134
    "You want to know why people have issues with proxy baptisms? It's because you think someone like my grandmother weren't good enough. That her life, her actions, her faith, her baptism in the Catholic church, Christ's sacrifice... all of it is insufficient to you."
    There only two possible true Christian churches Catholics or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If LDS is true then that means Baptism needs to be done by someone with proper authority they must have the Priesthood power. That means any baptism by other churches is invalid. An ice cream truck driver can't marry you and your wife because he doesn't have the authority to do it. It requires a judge or a priest/bishop or other religious head to marry you. So baptism without proper authority (Priesthood) is therefore not valid. 1 CORINTHIANS 15:29 "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?" The bible shows proof of baptisms for the dead above.

If we are not true than there is nothing to worry about.

• MovieMaker Columbus, GA
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:15 p.m.

The temple covenants are the "meat" of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Perhaps this is what Paul was going to give to the people of Corinth when he found that they were not yet ready. Not that they were not good people, but that they simply were not yet prepared for the higher teachings of the Savior. So he wrote to them: 1 Corinthians 3:2.
    "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able."
    It's obvious that many of those posting comments here are still "babes" regarding spiritual things and therefore not ready to learn about the "graduate level" Christianity found in LDS temples. Babes are not bad - in fact they are wonderfully innocent. But they have limited expeerience and understanding and are not ready for "meat". No matter how much they demand it.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:34 p.m.

" Mormons think me and people like me are too "unworthy, immature, and undignified" for god's tastes"

A Scientist, nothing could be more further from the truth. But something tells me that you already know that.

• Trevor A Roosevelt, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:37 p.m.

What goes in in Mormon temples? There are quite a few worthwhile links on lds.org if you want to search them. I tried posting them here, but the site would not allow it.

As an analogy: Just as advanced calculus would not make sense to a freshman in college who has not taken and mastered Algebra and , the temple ceremony is reserved for those who have made previous covenants with God and now desire to learn more of his ways, make higher covenants, and draw nearer to him. To path is clear as stated by Daughter of G-d, and that path will not change.

• Pablito South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Lovely thread going on here.
    Now, comparisons are used so you can relate...somehow.
    Have you seen inside of presidents office? No? Because you don't have sufficient access? Bummer.
    I work at a place that only people with special permissions can enter. Namely badged employees. I can get into the manufacturing part of the building but other employees can't. Why? We are all employees! Maybe they're "'unworthy, immature, and undignified' for the owners tastes"? Not at all. I've had the proper training and have been prepared to do so. If you haven't had that training, you shouldn't enter that portion of the building. I'm not going to tell you what happens in there in detail because I said I wouldn't and could lose my job if I do but I can show you brochures prepared by the company.
    Until you've had the proper training and met the guidelines set by God to enter the temple, you won't get in. I can't tell you what goes on in there because I promised I wouldn't. I can direct you to the church's websites.
    See the parallels?

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:55 p.m.

I hate to inform some of the readers on here, but the LDS church does not have a monopoly on families. Other religions and non religions do believe in families, some may even focus more on the family. Don't let others fool you, families are forever no matter what. They are forever in existence and forever in non existence.

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    Aug. 5, 2013 3:04 p.m.

jeanie, that was a wonderful comment about how God "can change methods to teach the same principles".
    I think Jesus used several different parables to teach the same principle while he taught on the earth. He also taught "don't cast your pearls before swine", and "he that hath ears, let him hear". Paul taught "milk before meat". Until one is ready to FULLY understand the deeper meanings of the gospel, it is best to use an appropriate message that a foundation can be built, faith can be exercised, and then the building can be built that will not fall and you will be able to see from a different vantage point as that building continues to be erected higher and higher, with each level providing a better view (increased understanding) and Spirit is able to commune with you according to your faith and dedication to the deeper covenants that are available. Isaiah taught "Line upon line, precept upon precept."

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 4:34 p.m.

@MHBSaltLakeCity
    "There only two possible true Christian churches Catholics or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."

Why does the "true" church even have to be around right now anyway? Even with LDS belief there was around a 1000 year stretch where such a church didn't exist until the restoration. I don't see why we should assume there is a true church on the planet right now, let alone that it must be one of these two.

"If we are not true than there is nothing to worry about."

Of course, but there would still be the matter of someone implicitly slighting the faith of another which is still considered rude to a large segment of the population (particularly members of Christian faiths being deemed invalid, maybe that's why my atheist dad was the only one in my family to not mind the idea of proxy baptisms). That was my point.

• Embermyst Dayton, OH
    Aug. 5, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Let's consider the very nature of what is considered scared by the Lord. It is by no means meant to be secret but rather protected for the eternal safety of the ones receiving the ordinance and those who are not yet ready. The Lord has prescribed the manner in which one prepares themselves for adding to their eternal knowledge. Those who have become acquainted with the Spirit and are humble to receive His ordinances by living His standards are considered ready. Even during the ordinances, people are warned that these things are very sacred and are not to be treated lightly. It is not that nothing else is sacred, but rather it is the MOST sacred thing available to mankind. This is precious knowledge that is given to those who are willing to do what it takes to follow the Lord and keep His commandments as He has established them.

• Embermyst Dayton, OH
    Aug. 5, 2013 4:43 p.m.

What is most important to remember is that in every ordinance, blessings, responsibilities, and consequences are attached. If one who doesn't hold the ordinances received sacred, they are liable to the eternal consequences because they did not keep their end of the promise. A covenant is a strong, binding promise made between the Lord and His children. If the Latter-day Saint Church were to openly allow anyone to partake when they are not spiritually prepared, those individuals would suffer eternal consequences that Lord has prescribed for that ordinance. It is for the protection of all to keep these things sacred according to His will. How fair would it be to allow so many to go through that? It is not fair at all. So the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints maintains the standards of worthiness to enter the temple so that those who make these covenants at least understand the depth of what kind of covenants they are making and are fully prepared to take on that kind of responsibility.

• Samson01 S. Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Re: Brother Benjamin Franklin

My respect for you just grew three sizes.

• Strive to be Better Herriman, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Brother Benjamin....

The Church is not evasive.... There are certain things in life that are sacred and we believe what goes on in the temple is one of those things and should not be discussed (even amongst ourselves) outside the temples. We believe temples to be the house of the Lord and all are welcome to attend and participate. However, Unlike chapels, a certain level of obedience and worthiness is required to enter. Evidently it is too difficult for people such as yourself to respect this and trust what we communicate.

Prior to entering the temple an understanding and testimony of the Gospel and its teachings is required. Once a person has this, the joy can be un-measureable (if that is a word).

Wanting to know what goes on and what the temple ordinances are all about just to know is not reason enough. There are many members of the church who have not yet been able to attend the temple. They know very little if anything more than what you know.

Anytime someone says, I think... or in my opinion... or I heard.... it is just that.. an idea, an opinion or gossip.

• elliottpj Two Rivers, WI
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:17 p.m.

No one has ever explained to me how the temple draws people to Christ. I was a member of the Church for many years and I never had a burning desire to go to the temple. They were just beautiful buildings to me. I still love the the LDS faith, but I will never understand it fully, and I'm tired of trying to sort through all the misinformation and confusion. I'm sure those of you who love the temple will always judge those of us who just don't get it. I get that. Whether sacred or secret, it still is all rather strange to those of us who didn't grew up LDS, just as you all think we Catholics are rather peculiar people too.

• Riccar Moses Lake, WA
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:18 p.m.

For those people that question the privacy placed around temple worship, I might just ask you to look at your Old Testament. Sacred temple worship has been around for thousands of years. It is not new with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Study your Bible a bit and you will find that ancient temples were most sacred and that only certain people were allowed to participate.

• Strive to be Better Herriman, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Trying to convince someone who has posted here anything contrary to what they have stated or written is not worth the time..

The are always going to be people with mis-guided opinions and feelings toward something they either don't understand or don't agree with. It bothers some people to not know what other do...

Also, anyone that puts all their trust in what they read or find on the internet is in for a rude awakening someday... Unless you believe the car commercial when it says "Everything on the internet is true"... because the internet say it is !!

Just think... why would anyone that has good feelings about any subject write derogatory comments on the internet... If you read something about the temple ceremonies or what "goes on" in the temple that is not to be shared.... why do you think it is being shared ? Because that person either has no idea what he / she is talking about, is posting what he / she heard or even worse is bitter and upset with the church and its teachings. Any of which would concern me.

Everyone can have an opinion or idea... but that is all they are...

• Carl G Chicago, IL
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Daugher of G-d,

Sorry to be a Grammar Cop: The word you obviously meant was "prescribed": To establish rules, laws, or directions.
    "Proscribed" is very different: To denounce, condemn, prohibit; forbid.

Bro. Ben and others seem already eager enough to misunderstand and deride.

• Strive to be Better Herriman, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Hey Elliottpj..

Anyone who judges you period.... doesn't get it. Whether LDS or not....If they are judging you then they are worse off than you are. We are all equals in the eyes of God.... We don't have the right to judge anyone. if we do.. we will be accountable...

But you said it well... you don't understand the purpose of the temple... you don't understand the teachings and principles... but you don't as a result judge other members of the LDS faith.

I would hope that someday you would get it and be able to understand and enjoy the temple... but if not... It doesn't mean you are not a good person or deserving of the Lords blessings / assistance...

One of the challenges we have in life is judging something by its participants. I am a long time member of the LDS faith and do attend the temple regularly.. but if I allowed the actions of other members to affect my activity, participation and belief structure.......I would be in bad shape. I believe in the teaching and doctrines of the church...I worship Jesus Christ.. not other members...

• Quagthistle Hays, KS
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:59 p.m.

@Christopher B: There are different levels of sacred experiences. If one rejects the fullness of the Gospel, perferring only the part they have (even though that part is almost certainly a good thing and a blessing in their lives), then how can they ever understand the teachings of the Temple? Why do you think the first Apostles spoke about milk before meat (1 Corinthians 3:2, Hebrews 5:12)? Do you think it's because no one else could have sacred experiences? Do you think it's because they were sinister, secretive people? No, it's because they knew that wisdom and truth recieve their own. If you want greater truth, you must embrace truth, not seek after mysteries you can't understand (see Jacob 4:14). You must sactify yourself by living the pure standards required of those who attend the temple. In short, your own Temple of flesh and spirit (Soul) must be pure for you to be able to appreciate and understand the light of a Temple made from stone. There are no shortcuts, and, even if LDS people told all, the sacred wisdom and light we receive would not transfer that way.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Aug. 5, 2013 6:22 p.m.

Elliottpj,

For me, the covenants help direct me closer to Christ. There is the understanding of how God and Christ direct. There is the concept of reporting to Christ. Just my thoughts.

I don’t judge you for not getting it. BTW, I did not grow up LDS.

atl134,

It has nothing to do with anyone’s grandparent being good enough. Yes, it is about the validity of the ordinances but that is in no way personal. It is not about whether Christ's sacrifice is sufficient but about compliance with his commandment regarding baptism. Nor is the salvation dependent upon an individual. In LDS doctrine, the millennium will assure all the opportunity. And it is always a choice.

A Scientist

It is a maturity in the faith. Nothing more. But why do you care? You think it is all fantasy anyway so why worry about being admitted?

As to “secrecy and suspicion”. Surely you know that this can all be had on the internet. These don't transmit proper context, but it is there.

Finally, Christ himself required things not be shared.

• Slickvic Nampa, ID
    Aug. 5, 2013 7:41 p.m.

I was very moved by the new film. Even just the pace and the voice in which the dialog is delivered helped me to get new insights from it. It made my experience that much more special last week.

I think most people would be surprised at the simplicity and innocuous nature of the temple film and ordinances and probably wonder what all the fuss is about. I promise it’s not deep or dark or mysterious. Even some who have prepared for the experience often don’t get a great deal out of it the first time, which is why we’re encouraged to return frequently. It’s like reading the scriptures multiple times and seeing and understanding the various layers of meaning the more you read and study. As in so much of the Gospel, the scriptures, the parables, and in the Law of Moses, symbolism is used to teach. Without the background knowledge, joined with study and prayer to understand the meaning of the symbols, it’s just a nice movie – in the same way that to some people the Bible is just a collection of stories.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:27 p.m.

The temple and it's ceremony is very sacred. The church does not need to make it public so that enemies of the church can belittle, degrade and drag it through the mud.

I love the temple. It is a wonderful place.

• kaparowitz A.F., UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:56 p.m.

"All who are worthy and qualify in every way may enter the temple, there to be introduced to the sacred rites and ordinances". The Holy Temple by President Boyd K. Packer

• Number6 DELTA JUNCTION, AK
    Aug. 5, 2013 9:18 p.m.

It has never been the teaching of the LDS Church that God does not change. Just read Joseph Smith (and by extension his teachings in the PoGP & the D&C). It has ALWAYS been the teaching of the LDS Church that God is eternal, omnipotent, and as powerful in our lives as we let Him be. (That is, He can't save us from ourselves if we choose to be willfully disobedient.)

Frankly, I like the way jeanie put it.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Aug. 5, 2013 11:34 p.m.

To: Christopher B, Ogden, UT: I am not of the LDS faith and yet seem to completely understand that certain religous ceremonies take place in a temple while others take place in the neighborhood church buildings. Even I understand that if you want to know more, simply take the lessons and go through the process of joining the church and living your life to be accepted into the temple. I am always amazed at people in Utah and their understanding or misunderstanding of the LDS Church. This is not a tough subject to understand.

• Ron Burgundy Ogden, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:59 a.m.

I respect the LDS church and their temples. People should respect the sacredness of every belief, and or religion, from scientology's activities to the sacredness of the FSM's colander.

• mancan HC, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 8:14 a.m.

Brother Benjamin Franklin:

If it hasn't been suggested by someone else, read Boyd K. Packer's "The Holy Temple". It explains many of the things about the temple and why they are not open to the general public. In the Old Testament, the temples the Jew had were not open to the general public either; this is not a new concept.

However, I do know that having temple weddings can be a real issue when one of the couple is a convert. In the past, many Mormons have been insensitive to the feelings of a convert's parents. We have gotten better at accommodating this by having ring ceremonies right after the temple ceremony so that the entire family can participate in the great day.

We do need to be better in explaining why the temple is closed to those who are not living in a way required to enter. My best answer simply is that it is the Lord’s house and He sets the rules for entering; no amount of pressure will change the entrance requirements, nor the responsibility to not reveal the specifics of the convents or symbolism we learn in the temple.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 9:30 a.m.

I have not come close to reading all of the posts, so I'm guessing that I'm not the first with this. A new film will likely get more of us Temple recommend holders out to do Temple work. I wish the Church would produce about 30 different films so that each time one would likely see a new one with different actors. I know how sacred and important the work is, but we all know how it can get boring to watch the same film over and over and over..............

• Pamelark Liverpool, 00
    Aug. 6, 2013 10:02 a.m.

Why hide it? To keep it 'exclusive' so the faithful will keep on paying. Because no matter how many good deeds have been done, prayers said, scriptures pored over.....unless the bottom line (the tithing) is met, the temple recommend won't be issued. Anything can be said about anything at the recommend interview(s) and there may well be economy with the truth but if that cash figure's not in place, the stark economics of lds come into play. So no - they're not about to admit all & sundry anytime soon - they just couldn't cope with the lost income.

• Che Payson, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Brother Benjamin Franklin....how about if we all come over to your house, day and night, and see what you're doing, how you live your life, what you eat, etc., etc. etc. and pick it apart. But wait. I really don't care. Why do you care so much about Mormons? Try New York, or Los Angeles, or Chicago. Hey....Detroit!!! Help those people find the right path since you seem to know what it is.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 11:35 a.m.

I find it curious people accuse the church of hiding temple rituals. The church sends tens of thousands of missionaries to preach the gospel to the entire world (where the church is accepted). Part of this preaching includes a goal to go to the temple after a baptism. It is also re-iterated on Sunday meetings as one is learning more about the gospel.

In sum, the church wants EVERYONE to go to the temple. And to go to the temple, one needs to be prepared spiritually. Curiosity is not preparation. Talk to the missionaries, they can help you prepare spiritually for your temple journey.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 12:40 p.m.

1.96,

So the best way to learn what mysteries and knowledge can be found in the temple is to join the LDS church, pay at minimum 10% of your hard earned income and then go get a temple recommend?

I was an active member of the church for nearly 40 years. I taught Gospel Doctrine for 5 years and Elders quorum, attended the temple over the span of 25 years and saw multiple changes.

I didn't gain any knowledge, insight or find out any mysteries to life that I didn't already know and discover outside the temple.

Happy2behere,

I agree with you. The church should produce about 30-40 versions of the movie instead of just relying on 1 or 2. I always liked the one with the brunette couple best and the one with the blonde couple in the 1980s. But, I would often find myself dozing.

• LittleDrummerMan ,
    Aug. 6, 2013 12:44 p.m.

Put pressure on Church officials and members? Are you kidding me? The Church, especially the Prophet and the Brethren do not give in to "pressure." Go ahead and tell them that. You will get a firm response. The Church does not bend it's ways to please the world. We're here to please God, nothing less.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Aug. 6, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Thinkman,

I am not sure the temple has provided me with any insight into mysteries. But I don’t think that is its purpose. I find it a place where I can feel the Holy Ghost in a more pure and unfettered fashion than most anywhere else. Did you never feel that peace?

Pamelark,

During the temple recommend interviews I have been involved with, the tithing question is one of a series of short questions. It is no more or less important than the other questions. However, there are several questions that involve more significant thought about where we are in our lives and why. Take the tithing question out completely and there would be perhaps a few more attending. But there are more significant issues in my experience.

• Warren Zeigler NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 2:28 p.m.

Everyone: 1) The Latter-Day Saints are a covenant making people. 2) Most things are learned as we strive to obey and have the help of the Holy Ghost. 3) As we learn more and make more covenants we gain more responsibility and are held responsible to higher standards by God and the Church. That is why the Savior taught in parables, ensuring those that will not follow are not handed more, causing them to be judged harder.
    The Temple is where we make several covenants with God. The teachings and covenants are inseparable. If people don't heed the warnings and don't "enter by the path specified by Christ", they curse themselves. They will be judged by the knowledge they gain, even though they don't have the background requisite for understanding and following.
    Discussing sacred things just anywhere with just anyone makes those sacred things not feel sacred. That reduces our respect, even for God.

• Ann Amberly Greenbelt, MD
    Aug. 6, 2013 6:27 p.m.

The new temple film is wonderful! The two main characters actually have a loving relationship. They look to each other for guidance. They consult with each other. They even hug. What a far better example of equal partnership than the previous temple films ever gave us. Bravo!

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:56 p.m.

Thinkman-

I am sorry you went to the temple for 25 years and felt it wasn't of much value. My experiences have been different and going to the temple has helped guide me in my personal life and strengthen my relationship with the Savor.

It is also good to keep in mind that temple work is not just about you or obtaining more spiritual knowledge. You well know temple work is for others who cannot receive ordinances of salvation for themselves. Maybe your temple experiences would have been more positive if had continued seeking out your ancestors and did their temple work.

Also, you are well aware tithing is not the only requirement for a recommend. There is much more. It is also good to keep in mind that any income you earn by the sweat of your brow is not really yours to begin with. Tithing is simply giving back 10% of the 100% God gave us since he organized / created the Earth. We are all eternal beggars and 10% is a small price to give back. I'll pay my tithing any day.

Lastly, just remember the Savior gave his life for you! He paid the ultimate price.

• Some1outthere Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 1:30 a.m.

Brother Ben the temple is a house of order - sacred ordinances are done in order, it is a house of learning - we go to the temple to learn and each time we go with the right attitude of why we are there, even thought the endowment is the same for everyone each time we go we learn something new. We must first however receive the endowment for ourselves before we can do the work for our ancestors. The temple is a house of prayer. Many go to the temple to pray to receive guidance to that day's problems whether it's whether or not they should buy a house, move or how to handle a family member's illness.

I would love to share this part of the gospel with my non-member friends. But I can share the beauty of the pictures. A neighbor that I have met in the temple. The temple endowment is in the scriptures just take the time to read them.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 12:34 p.m.

I don't understand the point of pretending that the Temple rites are a hidden secret when it's all easily available on the Internet. Public revelation by the church would enable them to correct errors promulgated by those sites and address misconceptions and misunderstandings.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Aug. 7, 2013 2:05 p.m.

Their's alot of comments posted, that remind me why we keep the temple sacred.

• Danite Tooele, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 9:09 p.m.

To faithful Latter-day Saints,

It is useless to wrestle with individuals who do not, (nor want to) understand our most sacred beliefs, on a message board. If they really want to learn, this setting is not the most appropriate place to share our beliefs. We have many wonderful Brothers and Sisters not of our faith who want to know, but being antagonistic on the Internet does not warrant a response from us. It is better to leave certain people unanswered or outright ignored.

To those that sincerely want to learn of our beliefs,

How we love you and would love to speak with you given the chance in an appropriate setting and spirit. Maybe a more intimate setting other than a message board would be best to communicate sacred truths we hold dear to us. May God bless you, please ask your questions to a LDS friend or neighbor.

• JayC Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 6:58 a.m.

@Brother Ben @ChrisB,LDS Members Or anyone that is interested.

First, I believe there were many LDS members that quickly got offensive with the comments about why things of the temple are not revealed to outsiders. But making offensive comments, or quickly biting back is only going to produce more tension and dispute.

It is enough to say that it is not anyone's will here on earth, neither is it the member of the Quorum of the 12 nor the President of the church himself that can make the call of revealing things of the temple. This is an instruction that members of the LDS church believe came directly from God. It is his will that these things be kept to members of the church that are worthy to enter. He has already prescribed what is to be done within the temple and what the requirements are to participate of these things.

And who are we to argue against that? Members or no members. There is no need to explain further

Lastly, I would like to thank @Brother Ben for his honesty and his visiting the temple which greatly enhanced his concept of it for the better.

• CortM HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 8, 2013 9:52 a.m.

It's very difficult, in a culture that thinks there is no information, no detail, no place that should be free from the glare of public attention, to explain a place like the Temple. There will always be those who mistake the place set apart for something secret, exclusive and shameful.

The other side of the "open the Temples to everyone" argument is far more important. Temple-going Mormons have an unique obligation to preserve and protect the sacred places of those not of their faith.

We have a tendency to be insular, to think that we are the only people who wear clothing representative of our covenants to God, to have sacred places, set apart from the world, reserved for our most sacred expressions of faith. We aren't. I believe that part of my obligation as a Latter-Day Saint is to respect the faith traditions of those who don't share my faith.

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:31 a.m.

There are a few minor changes in the script in the new film.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:10 p.m.

The first principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is faith. Would you like more knowledge and help from God? Are you willing to ask for help His way?

I assume you follow your conscience when making important decisions, and have a of right and wrong. Now just exercise a little faith. Even if you don't believe in God, please accept my assurance that He does live. He has answered my prayers, so He will surely answer yours.

The beginning of faith is to exercise a little believe that I am right. Or even just have a little desire to believe. That is enough to start. Use that desire to ask God in private prayer to know more about Him.

He will hear you. His Spirit will encourage you to go on, and you will know if it is good or bad to do so.

This faith is not blind. It is based on what you already know to be good. This exercise of faith will lead you to know how to make life better for you and yours. Don't take my word for it. Ask Someone infinitely smarter and more loving.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    Oct. 2, 2013 8:57 a.m.

An interesting discussion here. It is indicative of the fact that our culture is losing sight of what "sacred" and "reverence" mean. So far, it appears to me that both the law and the majority still feel that some expressions of human intimacy should be kept private. LDS people would actually say they are sacred and thus should be kept private.

Those that want everything "public" to satisfy their curiosity (at best) just need to realize that some people have a different concept of privacy, reverence, and the sacred than they do. They are free to not understand, but they shouldn't obsess over something that doesn't concern them. Do they also worry about the color of the floor coverings in their neighbor's master bathroom?

The same can be said with regards to symbolism as a part of religious worship. Many "modern" people don't seem to have an appreciation of meaningful symbolism. For many, symbolism seems to be confused with wanting a "swish" or "bitten apple" symbol on your consumer product.

• Converted Minister Pima, AZ
    Nov. 29, 2013 9:16 a.m.

I have been reading the comments in here and would like to say that there is no reasoning with people who want to find fault with the LDS people. As a former non-denominational minister who converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints just over a decade ago, I tell you to take the time and actually read the Book of Mormon and pray about it, the Holy Spirit will leave no doubt about it being God's word.
    I gave up my church, my friends and my family to join the true church. When I first went to the Temple, there was a lot to learn, a lot to understand... I am still learning... No one can tell you what you will learn in the temple, and seeing the video or reading about the covenants will have no meaning to you unless you do so under the instruction of the Holy Spirit. Mat. 13:11 "He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given."

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 1, 2013 9:57 a.m.

CVgal
    You are so very, very accurate in your statement. On any LDS/DN news report there are a dozen or so self-proclaimed sincere,inquisitive, critics of anything relating to LDS faith, beliefs, and practices. Nothing on earth will convince them. More temple information is NOT forthcoming. Do NOT hold your breath. Purple is not likely your best color.