BYU to wear royal blue uniforms for Utah game on Sept. 21

Comments

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:48 p.m.

In my opinion, a nice way to end the decades-long yearly rivalry before a 2 year hiatus.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Utah 30
    byu 14

Ute seniors complete perfect 4-0 sweep over our former rivals.

Mark it Down!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:50 p.m.

Oh wait,...

LOL!

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:52 p.m.

As a Utah fan,

I don't understand why BYU doesn't wear the Royal blue the majority of their games, they look so much better. Why they ever changed their colors is way beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that you get to sell a bunch of new gear.

Good luck Cougars,
    Go Utes!

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:55 p.m.

@ Chris B.

You really need to find a new hobby, my friend.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:56 p.m.

I guess we need to do SOMETHING different to break the curse. I'm sick of losing to the lowly utesies so I don't care if BYU wears orange, brown, or purple...just win and stop giving gift baskets full of glazed turnovers!

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 1, 2013 1:58 p.m.

I remember that picture well. "tackling, you're not doing it right". classic.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:01 p.m.

its about time!

Go Aggies!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:04 p.m.

I'm still waiting for them to go back to the dark blue jerseys with the white number field shaped like a bib. It made it look like they were ready to head over for a lobster dinner after playing the game.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:07 p.m.

Chris B. goes into an apoplectic rage on Sept. 21st! His face will turn an odd shade of.... you guessed it! Royal Blue!

Mark it down!

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:10 p.m.

christy

"Why'd the deseret news go all the way back to 2009 to get a picture in talking about the rivalry?"

Simple answer, that's the last time BYU wore the Royal Blue in a game against Utah, and we all know how that one turned out.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

BYU 31
    Utah 14

Mark it Down!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Chris...because that's the last time they wore the throw backs. That's what the article is about. *roll eyes

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Now that is BYU blue. Not quite sure why BYU ever changed to Aggie blue.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:18 p.m.

As soon as the royal blue jerseys appeared in the BYU bookstore a week or so ago, this was a no-brainer.

Glad to see BYU breaking out the royal blue to remind the Utes what big time football is really all about - national championships, Heisman trophies, national hall of fame players.

I hope BYU has stocked plenty of jerseys, because they're going to be very popular.

btw, single-game tickets tickets for Texas, Utah, and Boise State went on sale this morning via a special promotion - $100 for sideline, $90 for end zone.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:27 p.m.

I'd love the game to be played on the field. The coaches and Chris B don't ever seem to get it right. Go Cougars. Please don't disappoint. Play hard every down. You have the talent and the numbers. Now let's play the game!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I like in the photo seeing one ute #18 tackling another ute #12. lol.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:34 p.m.

This is news? I guess when you've been owned by your rivalry both in recent times and overall, you have to do something to divert the attention away from the game itself.

Go Utes!!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:39 p.m.

No, we didn't steal anyone's colors. NO ONE OWNS any color. USU doesn't own it, they didn't pay for it, it isn't copyrighted, etc. Gosh, use a peck of common sense.

Any school can have any color they choose, anytime they want. I'm sick of hearing we stole the darker shade of blue. Did we steal the air we breathe when we play in Logan, too? Get over it (there's really nothing to get over)!!

• BYU 26 Utah 23 Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:40 p.m.

Love the pic; George waltzing into the endzone, while Utah players demonstrate how NOT to tackle.

September 21st is going to be a lot of fun, except for christy and her friends.

Go Cougars!

• Perkunas Ashburn, VA
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:48 p.m.

Ummm, just maybe because that was the last time BYU wore royal blue against Utah, which is the subject of the article?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:50 p.m.

That's not fair. They always beat us when they wear those colors!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:51 p.m.

The royal blue uniforms have been very good for BYU. Videos highlights reminded us of how immensely we enjoyed the game. From the moment BYU players broke the tunnel, it was apparent that the BYU-Utah was going to be special, but regardless of the twists and turns and closeness of the game, BYU was going to win.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Wear royal blue for ALL games. Why in the world does any university change its colors? BYU has been royal blue for a hundred years, then somebody decides BYU is going to be some other color? I find that really strange. Go back to royal blue, it's the BYU color. Is there some problem with royal blue? of course not.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Chrissy, You really had to ask that question? The article is about wearing the royal blue uniforms. When did they last wear them? 2009. How else are they going to get a picture of those uniforms, unless they go back and grab a picture from 2009.

BTW, notice the two utesies running into each other as George runs by them. Better get used to that next month!

• JP Skillet Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:00 p.m.

3 in a row. 8/11 and BCS. I guess byu doesn't teach math, trends of critical thinking skills. Utah owns byu lately. It's as simple as that. Every year cougar fans talk smack but then get smacked instead. Some people never learn.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:09 p.m.

toosmartforyou

Yes, every breath of air when you are in God's country of Logan Utah is a gift from Merlin Olsen. You should thank every player or Aggie fan when you see them in October.

As for the uniforms, I like them. Aren't they still a little darker than the classics though? I thought I read that Nike doesn't have the color anymore back in 2009? Is that right?

It won't matter anyway though. BYU is going to lose regardless of the uniform.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:15 p.m.

@toosmart... steal, maybe not but copied... YES.

If you switched to red, the utes would freak and you know it.

At least own up to it and don't try to justify it away.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Personally, I like the darker navy blue, but I do think its cool when they wear the royal blues for special occasions. College teams change their colors all the time, and USU never had a patent on the color. There are several college teams that wear navy blue, such as Penn State, Notre Dame and, of course, Navy. Get over it already Aggie fans!

• MissouriCoug West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:32 p.m.

Bring em back for good!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:32 p.m.

I guess they say the Navy blue sells better among fans, but for what it's worth, I like the Royal blue, too. I stadium full of Navy blue just looks dark, but a stadium full of Royal blue, that you can tell from any distance.

Of course, BYU fans are notorious for NOT wearing their colors, regardless...

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:36 p.m.

I hope BYU isn't placing their hopes on a jersey. The talent levels in this game are always similar, but the Utes mostly win these days. I think it's because they always seem to want it more.

I think if BYU went after this game with as much energy and unlimited intensity as the Utes do, they'd probably come away with the win. It won't happen because of a jersey.

Now if only those Utes can figure out that there are 11 other games on that schedule, most of which are bigger games than this one.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 1, 2013 3:44 p.m.

So sales went up for BYU stuff right after they switched to Navy blue. That is no surprise. It is not so much the color as it is the CHANGE. Royal Blue is more unique and it looks better, besides being the traditional color. I was disappointed in the switch to navy then and I am still cringing.

Go back to Royal Blue! You'll watch sales of BYU paraphernalia sky-rocket again.

• Las Vegas Aggie Logan, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:03 p.m.

I would go into shock if the cougars ever appeared in Royal Blue when playing the Aggies, but then again we are playing home and home for a few years!

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:10 p.m.

I like it! Old School to me brings that much more to the rivalry. I don't know why they don't go back to that scheme full time any way. In my opinion they should never have changed it. I must say though, the Black Out uniforms for BYU last year were pretty cool. I would like to see them do it again this year and maybe they are, I don't know.

Good Luck BYU

Go Utes!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Whatever the color, the result has been 3 in a row and 8 of the last 11 for Utah.

I'm just hoping that if Utah is ahead again in the 3rd quarter this year, the team in whatever color blue doesn't quit like they did last time the 2 teams met at LES. Sad really.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:20 p.m.

@Oatmeal

With a little bit of luck, Chrissy might even turn two shades of blue this season! August 29th can't get here fast enough.

• HawkAlum SANDY, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Totally agree y-grad. The dark blue in the stadium does not stand out.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Tom in CA

"Hopefully it won't come down to this, but if the last play of the game is 4th and long with 3 seconds on the clock BYU is sure to pull out a victory. Something about 4th and long, and utah's inability to stand up."

I don't know where you have been, Tom. byu had 4th and long three times last year to tie, 4th and long dozens of times in 2011 (LOL!), and 4th and long to win in 2010. I thing you are the only one on this board who seems to believe that Utah doesn't stand up on 4th down.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:08 p.m.

BlueCoug
    Orem, UT

-----------

National championships? Heisman Trophies? Plural? For both?

Ha ha ha.

That's rich.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Sorry, the royal blue unis are horrid. Absolutely horrid. BYU made a major upgrade by switching to navy, and even to the navy/tan after '99.

Every time I see those royal blue jerseys I can't stop thinking how girlie they look.

It's just a bad shade of blue.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:19 p.m.

@Chris B --> I have an offer for you. If you will stop making exaggerated, vitriolic statements about Utah/BYU rivalry games, I will root for Utah in the Utah/BYU games. Interested?

By the way, I am BYU/1978 BSEE, so this would be significant. If you could work out a reasonable number of these sorts of relationships, you could materially alter the "balance of (cheering) power" for the foreseeable future.

How 'bout it?

Larry H

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:22 p.m.

54-IQ

"Whatever the color,..."

Stopping your jealous, clueless comment right there.

BYU hasn't lost to Utah while wearing royal blue since last century.

In fact, the majority of BYU's games versus Utah while wearing royal blue have been DOMINATED by BYU, 18 of 20 during LaVell's first 20 years, including 27-0, 56-6, and 56-28 back-to-back-to-back.

• UU702 Layton, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Another sign that this game means everything down in provo. Utah stands at the edge of their second four year sweep in the 2000's while byu is wound up tighter than a $3 watch. Love it!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:32 p.m.

@sambonethegreat: What does Aug 29 have to do with anything. The Utah game is Sep 21, and BYU's first game, against VA, is Aug 31.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:39 p.m.

My family has had season tix to BYU for 32 consecutive years. Now we're scattered about the country and none of them live in Idaho. But come game day....it's a happy reunion for our tailgate at BYU home games...several come from out of state. The tradition of Royal Blue was fantastic and we all love to see it return...even if for only one game. GO COUGARS!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Holmoe hatches a scheme to have a bye before the Utah game. Then, byu decides to dust off the light blue unis because that's the only color that works for them against Utah. Clearly, this is byu's most special game of the year as no other game is receiving such "royal" consideration.

Utah, on the other hand, will show up at LES and play football. No special scheduling. No gimics with uniforms...just good ole' fashioned football.

It's also interesting to note that, according to one post above, the ticket prices for the Utah game match those for Texas. That speaks volumes! Pac-10.2? I don't think so...the actions of byu and their fans demonstrate otherwise. byu is fortunate to host the Utes!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 6:13 p.m.

54-IQ

"Whatever the color, the result has been..."

In 1971, a new BYU flag was created consisting of two horizontal stripes in the school's colors of white and royal blue.

Since then, BYU is 23-6 versus Utah while wearing royal blue (including 2009).

The angst being generated amongst the hill crowd because of BYU's decision to wear royal blue during this year's rivalry game is comical.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 1, 2013 6:20 p.m.

My mom will be happy they are going back to royal blue. She thought it blasphemous that they changed to navy.

It will be fun to call her, and all the rest of my family, for the fourth year in a row!

August 29 can't get here soon enough. Four more weeks!

Go Utes!!

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 6:21 p.m.

UU702

"Another sign that this game means everything down in Provo."

Don't kid yourself. The fact that U and dozens of other Utah fans are here commenting about the color of uniforms BYU will be wearing on September 21st proves that this game means everything to the kids on the hill.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 1, 2013 6:38 p.m.

I like the decision - BYU's royal blue uniforms created an indelible impression on college football fans nationwide, from the 70's through the 90's, and it's fun to see them return every few years.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 6:42 p.m.

I love this color blue but it really doesn't matter since we either always beat Utah or when we don't it is because we beat ourselves.

• Always Two Steps Ahead Vancouver, WA
    Aug. 1, 2013 6:55 p.m.

I don't like this decision for a couple of reasons.

First it puts a lot of unnecessary extra pressure on the football team to win. By digging into the past, the Y is publicly telegraphing to their opponent that they're setting themselves up emotionally. They're making themselves a target because while Utah will not only be motivated for a win over their rival, they now have an opportunity to crush them emotionally.

Secondly the royal is just plain ugly. As a long-time BYU fan I remember the royal blue of the '70s, '80s and '90s. It's what I grew up with. But while the football was great, i.e. national championship, Heisman Trophy, etc., the uniforms were not. The navy blue has been a definite improvement. Even the ones with the tan highlights from the early 2000s were ok, although the bibs were a disgrace. And the black unis last year were sharp! I'd rather see the black ones come back one game a year.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 7:28 p.m.

I just hope that the Utes are not allowed to appear in the red jerseys. It is not their hone field. They need to be told to show up in white.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 1, 2013 7:39 p.m.

Vladhagen

BYU and Utah have been wearing their home jerseys, regardless of whether the game is in Provo or SLC, for decades.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 7:48 p.m.

The royal unis are really only popular among the older generation of BYU fans. The younger generation much prefers the darks. BYU made the right choice changing to dark blue. The only time I really liked the royals was when they included black trim. They really should throw in the black trim in these throw backs, especially since it would compliment those times when they decide to do black-outs.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Benderman1

"The royal unis are really only popular among the older generation of BYU fans."

Your "theory" will be severely tested on September 21st.

I know lots of "younger generation" BYU fans who like BYU's royal blue unis.

You're correct about the royal blue with black trim, they did look very sharp.

• sheeps Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:06 p.m.

I agree, I only liked the royals when they included the black trim. They looked sharp. The royals with only white are too light and dull. The black element plays into the black uniforms really well. Utah only introduced black in their uniforms within the last 10 years and now they try to use it as if it is one of their main colors. BYU actually had black in their uniforms way before that. BYU should stick with the dark blue uniforms unless they bring back some black to go with the royals!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:25 p.m.

I don't mind the royal blue once in a while for a throwback feel in certain games. Making it a regular color would wear out it's novelty real fast. Let's face it guys, the dark blue is much better looking. It's just more modern looking and looks sharper. For the most part, the royal blue is old and ugly looking. Over time, it gets faded and just looks purple and ugly, leaving BYU's uniforms looking more like Northwestern's than BYUs. I understand some of the older fans wanting to hold onto tradition, but come on get with the times guys. At least Bronco went back to the old logo design to be true to tradition. To be fair as well, the Miracle Bowl uniforms in 1980 were dark blue as well.

I also like when teams mix up design now and then. I didn't used to, but Oregon made me learn to love it. They have some cool uniform designs. I hope now and again BYU does some more blackout uniform games cause those looked sharp.

And the earlier poster is right. No one owns any color! Especially mainstream colors like blue and red.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:33 p.m.

Ifel Of'a-sofa

"steal, maybe not but copied... YES."

Hardly.

BYU didn't begin wearing royal blue until the early 70's.

Before that, BYU wore, drum rolllll...

Navy Blue.

In 1999, BYU simply returned to a shade of blue that had been used at BYU for decades prior to 1971. Even during the 70's, many BYU athletic teams, such as track & field, continued to wear navy or dark blue unis.

The Aggie claim that BYU copied Aggie blue is patently... false!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:44 p.m.

Cougar Claws

BYU never had a consistent or standard shade of "royal blue".

"Royal blue," as it was called at BYU from 1971 to 1998, varied from year to year, and from team to team, from a light powder blue to a dark blue, depending on the shade of blue each individual team decided on for the coming season.

Having a standard shade of blue for all BYU branding was one of the concerns BYU addressed when they adopted standard uniform colors in 1999.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:52 p.m.

If BYU was smart, they would wear the black helmets with these royal unis for the game!

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:59 p.m.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:13 p.m.

"Frankly BYU ought to use these colors ALL the time. Much more unique than the darker blue, and then we won't have to listen to Utah State fans claiming we stole their colors (which we did, frankly...)"

Please, don't add to their whininess. No one has a market on any shade of blue. How many teams wear red? The royal blue is classy and it's too bad they don't use it more often.

• MIMom Mt Pleasant, MI
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:45 p.m.

I switched to being a Ute fan around the time of the jersey change. The cougars just didn't look like the team I had cheered on for so many years during the magical winning years of the 70s,80s and into the 90s. Studies said people weren't willing to wear royal blue back then. I'll bet that study today would show differently. Oh well, I'll cheer for them for the cougars playing any other team. But now my home bleeds a bit more red than blue so cheering the Utes no matter the cougars colors on Sep 21.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 1, 2013 10:34 p.m.

@toosmart

There is only one trueblue and the Aggies had it first. Thou shalt not steal!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 11:09 p.m.

The royal blue brings back a lot of great memories so I am all for it. I do think they should still continue to use the navy blue for most of their home games. If they were to tweak the royal blue by adding a darker shaded trim to it, then I wouldn't mind it becoming more of a mainstay.

• Clark W. Griswold Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:16 a.m.

It looks like the Utah game will be treated like royalty for BYU this year. I guess this game means a lot for BYU, that they need "special throwback" uniforms for this game. The uniforms won't make a difference, the end result will remain the same. Utah will win it's fourth straight game against little brother this year.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:19 a.m.

Benderman1,
    "If BYU was bold, they would wear the black helmets and black pants with these royal jerseys. Those would be awesome looking!"

Thats funny 'cause I was just thinking, if BYU is going retro, Utah should go modern and wear the black helmet, red jersey, black pant combo debuted last year vs. Arizona. They looked awesome, even though the game was disappointing.

I dont know who it was that was knocking Utah for their Black jerseys, because BYU used black trim first (supposedly. I havent seen every uni both teams have ever worn). Especially since Utah has been doing the blackout for several years and BYU just started this past season. And neither team was first, btw.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:00 a.m.

The only think I hate about playing BYU is that even when you beat them; the majority of their fans refuse to give credit. They refuse to acknowledge that they were beaten by a better team. A fluke is one thing, but 3 in a row and 8 of 11 is a trend.

Oh well, let's get this season started already; daunting schedules for both Utah and BYU.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Spokane Ute

You get credit when you win the head-to-head and have a better season, as in 2004 and 2008.

You only get one-game bragging rights if you finish with a worse record and lower ranking.

2 of the last 3 were flukes - to suggest otherwise is to deny reality.

- Did Utah really plan to shank a punt so badly that it bounced off a defender 20 yards away from the punt receiver?

- Did Utah have anything to do with a bad snap that led to a gift scoop and score?

13 of the last 16 being decided by a touchdown or less in the closing minutes or in overtime does show a trend toward extremely close, competitive games, but it hardly demonstrates a trend toward any sort of "superiority" or "dominance" for either team.

From 2005 through 2012, BYU has the 12th most in FBS (74), 3rd most among western teams (Boise State and Oregon).

Except for our BYU-obsessed Utah friends, overall achievement is a much more important trend to follow.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 2, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Royal blue, huh? Time to dig out those '1984 National Champions' t-shirts...unless you never put them away to begin with.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:11 a.m.

"Did Utah have anything to do with a bad snap that led to a gift scoop and score?"

Yes, actually. If you watched Utah football, which Im guessing you dont and that's fine, you would have seen lots of bad snaps. Those snaps would have been due to Centers, including BYU's and USC's (considered on of the best in the country), so physically intimidated by the Freak of Nature that was Star, so scared they were way off target. Direct result of a Utah Player, Star was disruptive and obviously got in several players heads.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:54 a.m.

I guess I never reailized that BYU wore differnt shades of blue?

@ Swoop

I could dig up a number of plays that would have widened Utah's margin of victory in each game, but why bother? I don't look for credit from you, winning on the field will suffice. 8 of 11 is a definite trend, but spin it any way you like. I'm not sure why the D-news denied my previous comment? I guess "a constructive comment" is extremely subjective.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 11:12 a.m.

Utah never beats BYU.

BYU beats themselves.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Bring back PERMANENTLY the real Cougar Blue and ditch the Aggie Blue.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Re: Cougars- Wise Older Brothers

Older than who? Better do some research.

"BYU 31
    Utah 14

Mark it Down!"

In the last 25 years, when they have won, BYU hasn't beat the Utes by more than seven points. Now, with a new QB who can't throw you're going to win by 17? ha!

it's 1984! it's 1984! Click,click.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:25 p.m.

@Mildred in Fillmore

I like how you keep repeating yourself as you seek attention. Everyone knows you make radical claims about BYU being perfect in all they do. Maybe write things about how the U will be bowl eligible or the fact that the Pac 10.2 treats you like a doormat.

You my friend are quite entertaining.

It's interesting that no matter the article Chris B will mention a possible 4-0 sweep, and how he's a better human because the team he cheers for is being used as a punching bag in the Pac 12.

I'm excited for the season Go BYU woot woot!

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Is it important to beat Utah? Yes. When the Cougs lose that game, I'm crushed. I Can't think of another outcome I would like on 9/21 than to end the game and start a 2-year break with scoreboard braggin rights.

If I had to choose beating Utah or Texas, I'd pick Utah. If I had to choose beating Utah or Boise, I'd pick Utah. If I had to choose between beating Utah or USU, I'd pick Utah.

Would I ever trade a winning record for an entire season and not go to a bowl game just for a win over Utah? Never. One win gives you scoreboard bragging rights for that one win, but doesn't guarantee a better "season" no matter the outcome.

That's the difference...beating Utah is VERY important, but not the only reason that I root for my team all season long.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:57 p.m.

jdub1942

Sorry, the real answer is an emphatic, NO!

------

Spokane Ute

I could dig up several plays that with better execution would have changed the outcome of the game in BYU's favor, but none of them would be classified as flukes. Face it, U got lucky to pull out a couple of games that you should have lost in 2010 and 2012.

Bottom line, U hung on to win a couple of games by the skin of your teeth, which totally debunks the "Utah domination" narrative Utah fans have been obsessed with pushing, since you've had absolutely NOTHING else to beat your chests about since 2008.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 1:10 p.m.

You shouldn't mess with tradition. Everything significant that has ever happened to BYU football occurred in royal blue and nothing particularly noteworthy has happened since the change. It was bad karma to change it and should be changed back permanently.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 1:17 p.m.

@talkinsports

Shoulda, woulda, coulda....didn't! I can beat my chest about beating Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl all I want. Looking at it that way, what in the world do you have to beat your chest about since 2008? People who live in glass houses.........

Also, I don't ever recall stating anything about "Utah Domination". I did say that 8 of 11 and 3 in a row is a trend, and not a fluke. When you use quotation marks, you might actually want to take if from what some one said. Otherwise it looks as though you are making things up. Just sayin.........

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Aug. 2, 2013 1:24 p.m.

The royal blue looks better on BYU.

I am not a fan of drastic uniform changes, thanks to Nike.
    With that said, there are some really interesting helmet mock ups floating around the internet of both BYU, Utah, and severeal other schools.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Spokane Ute

"I can beat my chest about beating Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl all I want."

LOL! If it helps you sleep at night, go ahead and beat your chest about beating the #56 team in the country.

Since 2008, BYU has beaten #18/#18 Utah, #16/#17 Utah State, and then #16/#16 Oregon State in the Las Vegas Bowl, a team that would have finished in the Top 25 IF BYU hadn't destroyed them so badly.

BYU(11-2) finished #12/#12 in 2009, which is MUCH better than anything Utah has accomplished in the last four years.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 1:54 p.m.

talkinsports,

"Crowd noise that prevented BYU's center from hearing Riley's snap count MAY have affected the poor timing of the snap, but Star had NOTHING to do with Riley turning his head to reposition his RB at the moment of the snap."

Sure crowd noise could have been a factor. True, Star didnt have anything to do with Riley turning his head (minus the real possibility he may have turned for added protection from the Utah D). But, its obvious Star had a HUGE impact in causing the Center to snap the ball early by getting into his head through pure physical domination.
    Added prof of Stars domination can be seen in every game, many of which resulted in poor snaps by centers, including USC's center who botched 2 snaps in a row.
    Utah may have escaped some games by the skin of their teeth, but BYU sure didnt.
    8 of 11, 4 of 5, 3 in a row = Trend
    BYU has won 3 games in 11 years, Utah has completely blown out BYU 3 times in the same span.
    likelihood of BYU win = likelihood of Utah blowout victory.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 2:23 p.m.

jdub1942

"...its obvious Star had a HUGE impact in causing the Center to snap the ball early by getting into his head through pure physical domination."

The only thing that's "obvious" is your obvious Utah homerism.

BYU's Center had been blocking Star for most of 3 quarters. If he had been in the least bit "intimidated", that would have manifested itself MUCH earlier in the game, like say, during BYU's first couple of possessions.

Despite Utah's claims of "domination", BYU has still managed to finish BETTER than Utah in record and ranking 5 of the last 8 seasons, in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Higher ranking = better team.

Live with it!

• NewJersey Salem, Ut
    Aug. 2, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Keep the Royal Blue. Love it.

42 - 17 BYU

Mark it down.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 2:35 p.m.

@UoU 1991

I sleep just fine. In 2008-2009, Utah finished ranked #2 and undefeated. Knocked off then #2 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and beat 4 teams ranked in the FINAL top 25.

Check Mate!

Quick, to the time machine. Set the date for 1984 when we beat 6-6 Michigan. Talk about LOL!

I also notice that no BYU fans are blaming the loss on "crowd noise". Classic!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 3:33 p.m.

BYU 63
    Utah 3

• swizzy18 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Poor little inconsequential cougars. I guess "living right on and off the field" wasn't working, since you've gone 0-3 vs. the UTES, so now you're going to wear your lucky colors in hopes it brings you a victory. Get ready for Tic-Tac-Toe 4 in a row!

• tlar22 St.George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 4:30 p.m.

BYU Players can't get the win, maybe the jerseys can...

• Y>U Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 2, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Spokane Ute:

"I can beat my chest about beating Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl all I want. Looking at it that way, what in the world do you have to beat your chest about since 2008? People who live in glass houses..."

"In 2008-2009, Utah finished ranked #2 and undefeated. Knocked off then #2 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and beat 4 teams ranked in the FINAL top 25."

LOL at your devious attempt to change the parameters - "since 2008" obviously refers to accomplishments since the 2008-2009 season.

The truth that you're obviously still having trouble accepting is the Utes have been in steady decline since 2008, with, by your own admission, an overtime bowl win over the 56th-ranked team in the country as your ONLY accomplishment in the last four years.

Check Mate erased!

Triple stamped it, no erasies, touch blue make it true!

lalalala...

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 2, 2013 5:30 p.m.

backbacn: Superiority is proven on the field - live with it!

Hey - you can't beat Utah with coaching, execution, play calling or recruiting, so try to beat them with numbers! Or better yet - change the uniform colors, that might work!

Too easy!

Go Utes! Here's to four straight!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 2, 2013 5:30 p.m.

I still love you Mildred!

• CG Orem, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 5:36 p.m.

Spokane Ute

Nice try, but Utah's Sugar Bowl win was part of the 2008 season.

What have U done since the 2008 season that's worth beating your chest about?

* crickets *

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Austin Collie signs with the 49ers... it's been a long time, but I guess I'm back to being a 49ers fan again!

• CG Orem, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 6:42 p.m.

VegasUte

"Superiority is proven on the field..."

over the course of entire season, every where on the planet exempt under that crimson bubble on the hill...

"Numbers" as you call them, are the exact same "stats" that Utah fans constantly beat their chests about:

We finished #2
    We beat 4 Top 25 teams
    We beat #6

Unfortunately for U, since 2008,

BYU has more significant "numbers" than U ...

Live with it!

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 2, 2013 6:53 p.m.

Y>U

It's true!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Y>U

"BYU has still managed to finish BETTER than Utah in record and ranking 5 of the last 8 seasons, in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012."

"Check Mate erased!

Triple stamped it, no erasies, touch blue make it true!

lalalala..."

Classic LOL!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:07 p.m.

I believe the decision to go to Navy blue was Gary Crowton trying to establish his identity on BYU football. That error has been corrected in part. I think BYU was feeling sorry for navy blue at the time, since USU wasn't representing it very well. I would support going back to royal blue.

@MIMom. If you switched to rooting for the U based on the color of uniform alone, then BYU is better off without you as a fan. Thanks for taking care of that for us.

I love how our ute brethren (and you know who you are) who obsess over BYU still seem to insist that the modern era of college football, and the acheivements that go along with it, began in Y2000. Some prefer to site 2004 as the beginning of MECF.

I'm happy to break it to you utes. You love to bag on BYU fans for digging into the past. But it will be pretty much standard operating procedures for you guys (the haters) in the next decade (living and bragging on the past).

• BaneOfHedgehog Bothell, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Caption of the photo:

Um.... you're doing it wrong...

• JCC75 SEATTLE, WA
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:49 a.m.

I also hope BYU wears the black jerseys for a game this year. I thought they were pretty cool. GO COUGS!

• Vegas POV Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:35 p.m.

I am glad BYU has switched to Aggieblue. Imitation is the greatest compliment. We appreciate your admiration.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:50 p.m.

CG

What year was the Sugar Bowl played in Fella. What's with the "crickets"? Like you have actually posted something that is so profound, that it cant be responded too.

Sheeesh, gotta do better than than

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 4:37 p.m.

Memo to all Utah State Aggies...

You took your "Navy Blue" color, from none other than the United States Navy.
    Hence the name..... NAVY!

B.Y.U. wears BYU-Blue.
    Which is a "Patented" Pantone Color.

Officially:
    BYU Blue:

RGB: 0, 30, 76
    CMYK: 100, 72, 0, 56
    Pantone: PMS 282
    Hexadecimal: 001E4C

It's not Navy or Aggie blue.
    Capiche?

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:07 p.m.

Bluto

Truth in advertising.

Utah State wears what Utah State calls Aggie-Blue,
    which is a standard, unpatented Pantone Color.

Officially:
    Aggie Blue:

RGB: 0, 51, 89
    CMYK: 100, 58, 23, 77
    Pantone: 539 C
    Hexidecimal: 003366

It's not Navy or BYU blue.
    It's simply a standard, unpatented color.

Not only is it not the same as BYU Blue, the Aggies don't even own the color.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 11:00 p.m.

So the claim that BYU "stole" USU's blue is "patently" false.

Of the two, BYU is actually the only one that owns their own color.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 5, 2013 11:03 a.m.

hmmm, so BYU stole "BYU Blue", a shade of blue that was created, patented and owned by BYU, from Utah State?

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 2:27 p.m.

It does not matter what color they decide to wear. The few fans that are not older than 50, or already married with kids don't wear Y colors anyway to the games. They are too cheap to purcahse their gear, or they would rather dress to impress so they can find their future wife or husband at the game. They care more about looking good, than they do about the actual game that is going on. When you show up to a game, you wear the colors of your school, or you wear a shirt with your teams logo on it. It is not a fashion contest. The only times you can wear something that doesn't show school spirit is when there is terible weather. Even then, like most Ute fans and fans across the country, if you are going to the game, you purchase gear to keep yourself dry or warm with your teams logo or colors. It is a simple cincept that the Y fans have yet to grasp.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Oooohhhh! Reno Hightower, the greatest quarterback in the history of Kern County - is wearing his white shoes!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Pap Smurf UTE,

As someone who attended all BYU home games for the last 3 years, I have to say that your assertion is not true. Not everyone wears blue, but far more people wear blue than "dress to impress" at the games. Besides, if they are too cheap to purchase gear, then they are probably too cheap to purchase the tickets, which are not free to students like they are at Utah.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 8:54 p.m.

PapaSmurf

Not only do I wear BYU Blue proudly to every BYU home game, I've also worn BYU Blue proudly sitting in the middle of the Crimson Club, in the middle of the Utah student section (more than a decade before the MUSS even existed), and in numerous other sections of RES.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 5, 2013 9:52 p.m.

Spokane Ute

"What year was the Sugar Bowl played in Fella."

Nice try, but as CG already explained, Utah's Sugar Bowl win, even though it technically occurred in the first week of 2009, was still part of the 2008-2009 season.

Crickets still chirping loudly awaiting your respone to what the Utes have done since the 2008-2009 season that's worth beating your chest about.

Obviously, NOTHING, on a national or even a conference scale.

* crickets *