Utah basketball: Utes land Brekkott Chapman

Comments

• gamer PROVO, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:25 p.m.

I wish him the best! I think he obviously would have thrived more in BYU's up tempo offense with talent around him and prepared him more for the NBA but you can't knock him for wnating to be close to home.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:30 p.m.

Additional evidence that the Utah basketball program is headed in the right direction. Kudos to Coach K for his recruiting work.

It's a great day to be a Ute!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Here we go!! I love my PAC 12 membership!! Utah is on the move. It will be nice to have those new b-ball training facilities done when Chapman arrives!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Fantastic! Welcome to the U. I am thrilled with the progress Coach K is making on the hill.

Go Utes!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:32 p.m.

I think this is the guy that Mika and the boys took to the cleaners. It will continue in college and the Cougars will continue to dominate Utah in basketball.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 29, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Welcome to Ute Nation Brekkott. The basketball dog days are behind us. On our way back to restore our proud basketball heritage!

Go Utes!

Onward and Upward.

Way to go Coach K!!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:36 p.m.

Well done.

• Love skiing Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:40 p.m.

Way to go Utah. Glad you stayed instate and get that degree.

• Ernest T. Zass Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Best basketball player this country has seen since Jimmy Chitwood! No doubt about it!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    July 29, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Smart kid...must have a high IQ... And wants to play big schools...

Good job Coach...

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Let me know the day BYU signs a top 50 prospect! This kid is going to do very well & Ute basketball will be back in full force. As they say in Utah County..."Mark it down" Go Utes!Go PAC 12!

• SMS Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:51 p.m.

GO UTES!

This program is on an upswing.

• Ute buster Eugene, OR
    July 29, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Best player in this country? Really?? Let's not forget Mika and the Haws kid. They are hands down better and they both ended up at BYU. Utah may be a bit better this year but BYU will still own for the 12th time out of 13 games. That my friend is total domination.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Hes pritty good but no Jimmers or Shawn Bradley. Final four by 94!

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:56 p.m.

To my fellow BYU fans, there's no point in trying to downplay this kid or display sour grapes. We would have loved to have him. And as much as I think Utah basketball has deserved every bit of criticism and derision it's received for allowing itself to fall from a national power to one of the worst programs in the country as recently as two years ago, I do think Coack K has done a great job getting them back on track. Getting Loveridge and now Chapman means they're finally getting the young talent they need to become a winning program again. Congrats to Chapman and the U, and kudos to Coach K. As for us at BYU, we're still doing just fine. We had a top-15 recruiting class last year, and if we get Dastrup, we're poised to have another, if not better. Basketball as a whole in the state of Utah looks to be on the rise

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Good choice Brekkott.

Playing quality teams in a real conference.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 29, 2013 4:58 p.m.

I think Larry is rebuilding the Utah tradition and doing it the right way. Ute fans began to see the payoff at the end of last year. I think there is more to come.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 5:15 p.m.

I've read about Chapman. He has the potential to go to the next level. Is there a coach in Utah more qualified than Coach K to help him achieve that goal if that is in fact what he wants? Nope! Chapman absolutely made the right choice.

"Chapman has been impressed with Utah's progress as a program and likes the prospect of playing with Loveridge."

"I believe Utah is a program on the rise, and I'd love to be part of that."

Right you are. Well said, young man...welcome to Utah!!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 5:22 p.m.

gamer
    "...and prepared him more for the NBA but you can't knock him for wnating to be close to home."

There's no one in the state more qualified to prepare him for the NBA (if that's what he wants) than Coach K. It's also clear that he wants to compete at a higher level in college so the Pac-12 is the obvious choice. Being close to home had nothing to do with his decision...read the article.

• Buck49 Washington, UT
    July 29, 2013 5:23 p.m.

He obviously isn't interested in playing fun basketball or winning

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    July 29, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Really nice match of Brekkott and Coach K. Basketball is the focal point, of course, but there are some similarities in their backgrounds, and Larry provides a great example of maximizing your circumstances in rising above expectations.

As a player, Larry was a ferocious competitor, even getting in Shaq's face when they were teammates in the NBA, as a peer motivator. Brekkott will benefit tremendously from this relationship.

Great move for both parties!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Welcome to the Ute Nation!! Great pickup Coach K!!

I think BYU fans will agree that Champion is a great get?

@CougFaninTX

Utelogy - no need to dream about Brekkott Chapman in 2014. He'll be a Coug before U know it. Dalton Nixon and Chapman have already said they are going to play together. U are right - Chapman is very good. -- 5:24 p.m. Feb. 28, 2013

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 29, 2013 5:57 p.m.

gamer: "but you can't knock him for wnating to be close to home."

The reasons for him choosing Utah over all the other schools he has offers from are clearly stated in the article. Staying 40 miles closer to home was not one of them.

Go Utes!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    July 29, 2013 6:00 p.m.

@slcjimmy

Letting you know the day BYU signed a top 50 prospect: August 30, 2011. TJ Haws, who is rated a notch higher than Chapman, signed last year.

With our own top-50 recruit, like BYU, and steady improvement under Coach K there is no need to be a slug about the Y.

Couldn't agree more with Henry Drummond. We have a great tradition going back to the Arnie Ferrin playing days. An assistant coach like Chris Burgess will help the team get back to the attitude that prevailed the last time we were consistently good under Majerus.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 29, 2013 6:17 p.m.

@Utelogy - Wow, U've been waiting and hoping for this day for a long time. I can't believe U hung onto my comment for five months.

Chapman is a great commit for the Utes. He has a very bright future. And while I agree that Coach Krystowiak (not Coach K) is moving the Utes in the right direction, it's going to take more than Loveridge and Chapman (3 years later) to get the Utes back into contention. Kyrstowiak needs to get one or two commits like this every year.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    July 29, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Welcome to the Utes, Brekott!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 29, 2013 6:59 p.m.

This is a great, repeat great commitment for the Utah (unlike Chris B. my comment is realistic). I'm amazed at the lack of class from a few of the posters and pleased to see the comments from posters like Stonewall who took the high road - thank you.

@down under - ever thought of saying congratulations or great player? Even die hard Ute fans like myself recognize talent on other teams (Van Noy, your incoming BB class, etc.). Way to take the low road.

@Ute Buster - you think Ernest T is a serious poster with serious comments? LOL. While the Y's recruits are excellent players, Chapman is a higher rated prospect and the comment that both are 'hands down' better is not supported by any expert opinions.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 29, 2013 7:11 p.m.

It's good to see the Utes getting back on track. The past few years have been very atypical. Nobody should be downplaying Chapman's ability, and I wish he had committed to BYU, but both programs are doing well. I'm just curious how Dutchman got himself a personal membership in the PAC-12. I know universities can belong, but I didn't know that just some guy could join.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2013 7:30 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

Nope, just needed to do a simple internet search to find your ridiculous comment.

FYI Champman will be starting next year.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 29, 2013 7:33 p.m.

Congrats to Ute nation, this kid is a stud and a major get for your program. I wish he would have gone to the Y but still happy that he's decided to stay in-state. Chapman and Loveridge have the potential to bring Utah back into basketball relevance. Congrats.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    July 29, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Great to see the Utah roster with good Utah players.

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    July 29, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Buck49...
    Not much fun playing in front of 700 people in San Francisco against a crew of undersized, under shelling, D2 players.

Any descent player would gauge PAC12 vs WCC and chosen the Conference of Champions...

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 29, 2013 8:23 p.m.

Happy, happy, happy

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 29, 2013 8:31 p.m.

CougFaninTX

"...it's going to take more than Loveridge and Chapman (3 years later) to get the Utes back into contention."

Did you read the article? Cut your three years in half ... that's the amount of time between the two commitments. The best I can do for you is state that it'll be 2 years between each of their first seasons as Ute players - still don't know how you get 3 out of that.

Additionally, if you don't think Utah landed any good recruits between landing the two you mentioned, pay attention to Delon Wright this year, you may be surprised.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 29, 2013 9:35 p.m.

Nice pick up for the Utes.

A wisconsincoug

Thanks Man; really nice to see a classy comment from a BYU fan; well played!

• oneoftheboys Roy, UT
    July 29, 2013 10:46 p.m.

Hey Brekkott, We are so very proud of you and look forward to watching you play with the Utes. Congratulations bubba, you Rock! Stay grounded, focused and above all, be yourself and have fun...Enjoy the Ride...

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 29, 2013 11:05 p.m.

"I believe Utah is a program on the rise, and I'd love to be part of that." Brekkott Chapman’

Go Utes.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    July 30, 2013 1:00 a.m.

Huge kudos to LK and staff. This is a big time get and the type of recruit who will help bring other strong recruits to the hill. This program has had it's nose in the dirt for too long and good fans have never deserted it. It's been wonderful to watch the growth of this program as they claw their way back to respectability and when they begin to dominate in the PAC 12 it will be all the sweeter!

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    July 30, 2013 2:43 a.m.

Well done coaches !
    Thank You Mr. Chapman for your commitment.
    The round ball future looks good up on the hill.
    It's good to be a Ute ! ! !

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 30, 2013 7:49 a.m.

Congrats to the Utes for landing a great recruit! It makes for a more exciting match up when the two schools (Utah and BYU) meet. Bragging rights as to who got the better recruits can only be determined after then.

And congrats to Coach K too! He has definitely done a magnificent job considering the mess he inherited when some of the best players in their program bolted after their former coach was released. Ute basketball is on the rise for sure and this cougar fan is happy for them. Can't wait for basketball season to start too!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 30, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Huge, huge get for my Alma Mater! Welcome aboard, Brekkott Chapman!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    July 30, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Chapman is a great addition for Utah -- and kudos to the Utes.

The major irritation I have about this article is that Utah's coaches clearly outworked Dave Rose and his team in recruiting.

Kick it into a higher gear, Brother Rose. Being complacent does not impress me!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 30, 2013 10:23 a.m.

It'll be great to see what Chapman can do against the other dominant bigs in the conference. It'd be great to see Andrus join in the mix as well. I think securing the best local talent is the best way to continue reviving the local fan support.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 30, 2013 10:25 a.m.

DN moderators, there were no "personal attacks" in my statement:

"It's a pretty sad showing of disrespect when so many people from a state and religious community that pride themselves on their morals and being Christlike to everybody can so suddenly turn to belittling a kid and his abilities, not necessarily because he didn't choose to go to school and play at the school they wanted him to, but because he chose to go to school and play at the exact school they DIDN'T want him to. Here's one Utes fan who is excited to see how the local talent performs WHEREVER they play, but especially happy when they choose the University of Utah."

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    July 30, 2013 11:02 a.m.

Very nice pickup for the Utes!!! Hope you and your new teammates do well against everyone but my Cougs!!! Looking forward to many great years of competition between our two schools in all sports!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Utes!!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 30, 2013 11:25 a.m.

@motorbike - thanks for catching my typo. I meant two years, not 3.

I think a team has to have at least three great players to really make a run.

Will the 2014 Utes be better than the 2011 or 2012 Utes? Absolutely! I'm just saying I wouldn't bet the double wide on a conference championship yet and an NCAA invite is still a distant dream.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    July 30, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Best of luck to this young man at the U and to that program as well.

Most rational fans would enjoy having four strong basketball programs in the state. Having two or three teams ranked on a consistent basis would help all in-state schools recruit, both in-state, but more importantly, out of state.

I, for one, would be thrilled to have the U land recruits equivalent to Tom Chambers and Danny Vranes and have them play the Y's modern day equivalents to Danny Ainge and Fred Roberts. Great basketball, great rivalry, great atmosphere.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 30, 2013 12:55 p.m.

cfit--

"I just don't think that Loveridge and Chapman playing together for 2 years is enough to push the Utes over the hump. Other than these two, I see the the rest of the Ute recruits as good but not great."

You don't consider kids such as Delon Wright [older brother currently playing in The Association], who doesn't arrive w/the hype of a ranking since he's coming from a J.C., and Kenneth Ogbe, who's coming in from his native Germany and doesn't come in w/the hype of a ranking, as a result.

Not to mention the domino-effect sure to follow w/other highly-touted recruits, as a direct result of kids such as JL/BC committing to The U. Trust me on this one, BC's commitment to The U is going to have a significantly greater impact on our proud/storied program and its inevitable return to business-as-usual than you and others such as yourself, who're equally opposed to The U, wish to acknowledge.

We're rapidly coming back in full-force, whether you like it or not, so get used to it!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 30, 2013 1:03 p.m.

lc--

"Chapman is a great addition for Utah -- and kudos to the Utes.

I am totally disappointed with Rose's tenacity in recruiting outside of Utah County. I love what the Cougars get from Lone Peak and Orem High . . . but do not think that Rose has demonstrated the capability to compete with other schools for top-tier players outside of the shadows of Y Mountain."

Bingo! You're the lone byu fan I've witnessed who actually gets it. These local kids would've chosen to play at byu, regardless of the HC. I see this for what it is, as well, which is a case of a fluke occurring and them just simply happening to fall into rose's lap, most certainly not as a result of anything he, himself, did to attract them.

Furthermore, it's also definitely not because of his Tourney record, as evidenced when he couldn't even get his team past The Sweet 16 w/The National POY in his fold!

• ApacheNaiche PINETOP, AZ
    July 30, 2013 7:00 p.m.

Who's Brekkott Chapman? Now if it's the Lone Peak boys we're talking about, then you've got my full and undivided attention.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 30, 2013 8:50 p.m.

CougFaninTX

"Last year, BYU had two great players and several good players. It was not enough to get us into the NCAA."

While I agree that it certainly may take more than two great players (and we don't even know if Chapman and Loveridge will be great), I wouldn't be surprised to see Utah be immediately more successful in the Tourney than BYU has been (once Utah gets there of course). Why? I've been saying it for several years, Rose's style of play is fun but unlikely to produce great postseason results. Meanwhile LK has installed a system extremely similar to that of Rick Majerus - we all know what that produced.
    _____

"I wouldn't bet the double wide on a conference championship yet and an NCAA invite is still a distant dream."

I agree with this as well. This is a VERY young Utah team and they'll still take some serious lumps, particularly in conference play. The key here is simply that the program continues to take the next step. Chapman is yet another step in the right direction.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 31, 2013 1:09 a.m.

I have to admit, I am sorry to see Chapman go to Utah... I would have loved to have had him at BYU along with Dastrup, Mika, Haws, Emery, Nixon, Toolson,Aytes, Shaw, Worthington, Chatman and Hartsock... That team has the real possibility of "Final Four" written all over it...

I had to chuckle when I read myperspective's post however, when he said: "Is there a coach in Utah more qualified than Coach K to help him achieve that goal if that is in fact what he wants? Nope!"... LOL... Yep there is no coach in Utah that can give hima better opportunity to play at the next level... Truth is that there are three that are better Rose, Morrill, and Rahe and it's too early to know if UVU's or Southern Utah's coaches would be better...

As far as Utah getting better?... A big LOL... I mean c'mon, over the last two years they have lost to some Division II Baptist team out of Texas and the mighty Sacramento State Hornets out of the Big West, both on their home floor... Over the last 7 years they are 1-11 against BYU... Can it get worse?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 31, 2013 1:21 a.m.

@myperspective,

One more thing... Playing in a "real conference"??? The PAC12 has been a very weak basketball conference for the last few years... When you make a statement like that I assume that you are trying to knock the WCC, or the MWC... Both of these conferences have pretty much matched the NCAA invites of the PAC12... In fact the WCC and it's tiny 9 team membership put more teams in the NCAA Tourney in 2012 than the big bad PAC12... And last year the MWC put as many teams in... When it comes to head to head match-ups I guarantee you BYU, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado State, New Mexico and even Wyoming have demonstrated their ability to put top PAC12 teams to shame... And the Big West and the WAC and virtually any average team in the MWC and the WCC have put the Utes to shame.

When it come to Basketball the PAC12 is a dead average conference...

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    July 31, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Poyman,
    Yes the Pac-12 was very much down in 2012, unfortunately for you argument the Pac-12 was very much improved in 2013 over the previous year. In 2013 the Pac-12 sent 5 teams to the tournement (41%) while the MWC sent 4 teams, and the WCC sent 2 for a total of 6 teams between the two conferences. Only one more from both of those conferences combined than the little ole Pac-12. By the time the "Sweet 16" rolled around the Pac-12 had 2 teams left while the MWC and WCC had a total of 0.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    July 31, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Poyman,
    I hope you don’t think I’m just gunning for you, I’m sure you’re a great person.

However, as for your point about Utah not getting any better consider this. Yes, Utah has had some clunkers over the past few seasons under coach K, including Sac State. Consider that was at the start of the season, around the same time that Utah nearly upset the mighty Cougars of BYU (congrats cougs on the win).
    By the end of the season Utah clearly showed improvement under coach K. Evidence of this can was seen when Utah beat Oregon at home, the same Oregon that made it all the way to the Sweet 16 (that’s how far BYU got w/jammer just for a personal reference). Utah followed that up with 2 wins in the Pac-12 tourney, including an overtime win over California, an NCAA tournament team (Cal beat UNLV in the tournament, as to your point about the MWC being superior than the Pac-12).

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 31, 2013 11:17 a.m.

jdub1942, also factor in that Utah tore apart the only MWC team on their schedule (who was also an NCAA tourney team), and poyman has even less of a leg to stand on.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 31, 2013 12:02 p.m.

@ApacheNaiche
    "then you've got my full and undivided attention."

Utah already has your "full and undivided attention", which is proven by the fact that you are reading and commenting on a Utah story.

Nice try. Come again.

Go Utes! Go Coach K!

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    July 31, 2013 12:38 p.m.

StGtoSLC,
    Very true, I decided against including Boise St. mostly because I feel like those play in games dont really count. Now that I think about it, if you include that round I may not have counted Boise as one of the tourney teams from the MWC. That would put MWC conference as having an equal number of teams as the PAC, still hardly domination.
    Though that does give Utah another win over a tourney team if you count that round. Which I personally do not since it is relatively new and just a different spin on play in games.
    Adding Boise St., or leaving them, out turns out to be mostly a wash.

If you read this post you just got a glimps into my mind, as I just typed what came into my head as it came into it.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    July 31, 2013 1:37 p.m.

oh man, thank goodness for people like Poyman who troll these boards. What a laugh!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 31, 2013 1:46 p.m.

@Jdub... I think that I said the MWC put as many teams in the 2013 NCAA Tounament as the big bad PAC12... I think both put 5 teams in... the MWC was UNM, CSU, UNLV, SDSU, and Boise State...

In 2012 the PAC12 had 2 teams in.

The WCC only put their standard 2 teams in this year but as you may recall BYU made it to the Final Four of the NIT losing to the Champion aylor, in a close contest. In addition to that Gonzaga held the #1 ranking more weeks than any other school during the season... They lost in a heartbraker t Wichita State who gave Louisvile their toughest game of the entire tournament..

I do remember reading a headling towards the end of last season that said Utah could "snag" 10th place in the Conference... And they did, so I guess that was an improvment.

As for the Oregon game??? Everybody has a Sac State Game once in awhile.

As for the uties almost beating BYU... I mean, c'mon, since when do we get to count "almost"... If "almost" counts then 2 of the last 3 games between the uties and BYU don't count...LOL...

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    July 31, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Poyman,
    I think you are back tracking now. I think everyone here agrees that the MWC is a good basketball conference, but you said the Pac was only darn average. Both had as many tourney teams (BSU lost in what used to be the play in game). But the Pac fared better in the tourney with 2 sweet 16 teams, and the only match up between schools of the two conferences resulted in a win for Cal from the Pac-12.
    During the regular season Utah beat both Oregon (sweet 16) and BSU (BSU convincingly), and beat Cal in the conference tournament. Showing significant improvement over the previous year thanks to an excellent coaching job by Coach K.
    Congrats to BYU and their run in that tournament as well, Im sure as a fan it was fun.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 31, 2013 4:24 p.m.

poyman, you're so self-contradicting nobody can take you seriously:

"BYU made it to the Final Four of the NIT losing to the Champion (B)aylor, in a close contest...(Gonzaga) lost in a heartbraker t(o) Wichita State who gave Louisvile their toughest game of the entire tournament."

And THEN:

"I mean, c'mon, since when do we get to count 'almost'"

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 31, 2013 10:35 p.m.

@Jdub, not back tracking at all... You said that the MWC got 4 teams in last year, they got 5... You said that the total between the WCC and the MWC was 6, it was 7... I was simply correcting you... I said that the PAC is a "dead average" conference... It is... You got 5 in 2013, but you only got 2 in in 2012 (worse than both the WCC and the MWC individually)... Those are the 2 years Utah has been in... Dead Average.

@ StGtoSLC... I fail to see your point with your regurgitation of my type o ridden comment? What about that is "contradictory"?

The second comment that you reprinted dealt with FB... Your man Jdub was implying that since y'all finally had a close game with BYU last year that your team was almost as good... It's NOT... I actually found that his efort to make such a point is contradictory to what utie fans have repeatedly said on these boards about close FB games between BYU and the uties...

As far as being "taken serious" is concerned, I know what you mean, for instance, I don't even read your stuff unless I see my name.