Utah

Students choosing books below grade level; should parents be worried?

Comments

• Random Redlands, CA
    July 27, 2013 6:40 p.m.

My 8th grade son used to love to read, until the necessity of it killed it for him. He got better after he didn't have to take the quizzes for whatever reward, but then finding appropriate books that fit not only his abilities and age became really difficult. My 5th grade daughter also loves to read, but there is no way I would allow her to read "The Hunger Games." Staying up all night after she gets nightmares? Pass. (Yes, I've read the books. Yes, I liked the books. No, I won't let her read the books. Yes, I know her abilities.)
    Stories that involve kids will be read, stories that skim through childhood won't be.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 27, 2013 6:40 p.m.

Be glad they're reading.

Most adults don't read above a sixth grade level any way.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    July 27, 2013 7:26 p.m.

One of the greatest blessings of my college years was taking a class from a tough arrogant man who had extreme expectations of students. I wanted to earn something above a C (he handed out many Cs and Ds) so I worked hard, but I have forgotten most of what I learned. The one part I recall was his criteria for judging a book. He would be turning over in his grave (unless he is terribly ancient) about the books that are popular with students, young and old. I took the criteria seriously, and it served me well when I taught at Carden School where we did our best to instill a love of quality literature. I believe it isn't the "age level" of the book or story, but the quality that counts. For young children, Beatrix Potter stories are amazing. Parents and teachers have to sell some of her more subtle humor and plot intricacies, but it is worth it. Of course there are many quality books available, but there are also many that aren't worth the paper on which they are printed. If parents start early they can help their children make good reading choices.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 27, 2013 8:36 p.m.

Reading level of a newspaper is at a sixth grade level.

How is a tenth grade level any different?

If a student is proficient at reading and comprehending a newspaper, the rest will fall in place.

Discussing grade level reading are for test making, and measuring purposes. Waste of time.

• michaelitos Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Woohoo! I love the Common Core and its focus on college readiness!

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 28, 2013 6:53 p.m.

I pose this question: should I worry that adults read the Twilight series or my mother going through her Harlequin Romance phase? My father also enjoyed Zane Grey and Longarm of the Law. I doubt these could be considered Shakespeare.

• zeep ,
    July 29, 2013 5:52 a.m.

The Common Core can't create a love of reading. Parents, teachers and the child themselves will be the factor here. When a child finds books they enjoy reading, no matter the grade level, they will read. The amount of testing that is done is what will kill that love of reading and the Common Core will be testing, testing and more testing. The control of what a student reads will not be in the control of the parents, teachers and students. Look at the list of recommended books? Will these really create a love of reading? I doubt it. Go look up the list that is recommended and see how many of those books you really thing will create a love of reading. Common Core will create a loss of local control and put it in the hands of the Federal Government. That is what we should be afraid of. If you love Common Core, try to duplicate it on the local level with input from the local people, rather that bigwigs in DC that think they know better than you!