BYU, USU football: Cougars and Aggies to go home-and-home from 2013 to 2016

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:27 a.m.

This is how it should be.

Byu mistakenly acts like they are a power conference team and initially wanted a 2 for 1.

Glad the aggies talked sense into them

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Utah scheduled a home and home with Michigan after we were invited to the Pac 12.

That is the respect fellow BCS programs show each other.

byu and usu can only dream of a scenario of being in a power conference scheduling home and homes with Michigan, USC, Oregon, UCLA.

I love my Pac 12 membership!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:30 a.m.

One series I am glad continues.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Chris Hill should offer byu and usu 2 for 1 if they want it.

And they'll likely take it.

We're in a power conference. They're not.

Our seniors are about to complete career 4-0 SWEEP over byu and usu beats us once every 15 years, so these games are gimmes.

Its not seen as a "good win" when we beat them, so there is no reason to do a 1 for 1 with either byu or usu.

If they wanta 2 for 1 so that they can play a few games with the big boys that is fine.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:37 a.m.

We've left them behind as they both compete for WAC/MWC championships and we're chasing our THIRD significant bowl in the past decade, THIRD top 5 finish in the past decade, THIRD undefeated season in the past decade....

The nation does not see usu or byu as power programs, because they aren't.

I think it's good byu and usu have each other to build their rivalry even more.

Power programs don't really associate and continue rivalries with non-power programs.

Good luck to byu and usu in your WAC/WAC futures together.

Forgive us if we continue to fill up our schedules with Michigan, USC, UCLA, and don't want to play WAC teams.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:37 a.m.

Finally some respect. Should be fun the next few years.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:38 a.m.

That means BYU is now getting ranked teams like USC, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, USU, and Stanford, for November games to offset the almost never ranked teams like utah or Idaho St. they have to play occasionally in November. Sounds good to me.

• AggiePride Logan, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Can't wait for a great game on Thanksgiving weekend! Should add to the rivalry and be good for both programs.

Go Aggies!

• Florida Aggie Logan, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Great news! One for One series are the way to go. Great job Scott Barnes and company!

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Battle of the little brothers.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 26, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Very happy the series is moving to November. Would love to see the Boise State series move to November also. With ESPN, Cougs can get anyone to play them on Friday night before General Conference.

I hope the Aggies maintain a competitive team like they have now. Go Aggies (except against BYU).

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Home and home only makes sense for 2 non power programs.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    July 26, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Great to see the in state games continue and even better changing the current 2 for 1 to a 1 and 1.

Lets go Ags, make it more of the rivalry of old!

Not much need for the utes, they hurt our SoS

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 10:50 a.m.

This is a good series to continue. USU is on the rise it seems, and they hopefully will be a good opponent for BYU.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    July 26, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Home and Home is good and right. Should be a fun series to see continue.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 11:02 a.m.

This is right.

Programs of the same caliber typically go home and home.

Power conference teams go 1 for 1 with other power teams

Power conference teams go 2 for 1 with non power conference teams

non power teams go 1 for 1 with other non power teams

Since byu and usu are both not power conference teams, they should be 1 for 1

Makes sense.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 26, 2013 11:16 a.m.

Is Holme trying to steal the spotlight when Utah is involved in the PAC12 media day today?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 26, 2013 11:26 a.m.

Love it!

First: Congratulations to both schools. BYU - a home game in November which your fans will look forward to. USU - A quote from the Trib's announcement, "But make no mistake about it. The days of USU signing 2-for-1 deals with BYU are over." says it all.

Second: Not certain about timing either time; however, last year on BYU's media day the U announced home and home with Michigan. This year, on the PAC-12 media day, BYU announces they are modifying a 2 for 1 with USU so that they can have a meaningful November home game even though they will be losing money by adding the extra home game at USU. Everything is in proper perspective.

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 26, 2013 11:37 a.m.

I personally would like to hear more from Chris B on this topic. Someone who comments six times in a little over a half hour on an article... Well, that just screams "winner in life" to me. Please, more of your thoughts if you would, good sir...

• nampaaggie9 nampa, ID
    July 26, 2013 11:45 a.m.

Good job Aggies, you are the best team in the state!!!!!! I can't wait for you to stomp the utes on there home field, mark it down chrissie!!!!!!! it says a lot that byu want's a QUALITY game in November, and it says a lot that we can schedule home and home against a good opponent such as byu!!!GO AGGIES, looking forward to a clean sweep of the state!!!!!

• Todd Christiansen's Thesaurus Ogden, UT
    July 26, 2013 11:56 a.m.

Mr. B you are correct and I agree that Michigan made a mistake in scheduling a home and home with Utah. I guarantee you they won't do it again.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Mr. B, I think that U might be chasing after that third BCS berth for a while longer than U think. Let me know when U finally smell the roses. Only then would the bragging and hubris maybe be justified.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    July 26, 2013 12:30 p.m.

"If you are a member of a prestigious power conference you can demand a 2 for 1 with non power conference teams."

And if you're a bottom-dwelling power conference weakling like Utah, you can pound sand and kick and scream, but everyone will be laughing at your delusional arrogance.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Crissy B.
    You speak so much about power programs and like Utah is one of them. Just so you know the PAC 11+u AND ESPN DO NOT consider Utah anywhere near what you describe. In fact there was no mention of them at all in the PAC breakdown on ESPN last night, and the PAC ranked them 10th or 11th in the conference. I'll bring the lipstick to you can keep painting the pig

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    July 26, 2013 12:44 p.m.

Guys ignore Chris B (neither Utah or BYU fans like him) and eventually he will go away. As for me, I never read his posts.

As far as BYU vs. USU, I am glad BYU was willing to work with USU and make this happen. Looks like it will be a win win situation for both teams - at least for a couple of years.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    July 26, 2013 12:50 p.m.

There should be a set number of times one may comment without actually responding to anybody else on the comment boards. I know I am not alone when I say I am sick and tired of some people spamming these boards.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 1:16 p.m.

@howard S,
    Is it PAC 12 media day? Is that why some people keep repeatedly commenting on this article? Must be an absolutely thrilling media day........but yes, I am sure that Tom Holmoe sets his watch to the hill. Just like some famed commenters here set their watches to BYU.

• Smart Aleck Vancouver, WA
    July 26, 2013 1:30 p.m.

This is welcome news and I look forward to extended series. Playing the game at the end of November will be an interesting experiment. We'll see if that strengthens the rivalry and opens opportunities to play another opponent at home the first week in October. That will provide some variety for the fans who choose to visit that week.

It's encouraging to see two power teams committed to continuing their uninterrupted rivalry.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 26, 2013 1:38 p.m.

The former USU-Y agreement was for one game at Utah State (2013), followed up by 2 Home games (2014 and 2015). The NEW agreement leaves the 2013 and 2014 games as it was, but moving the 2015 game to Logan, and adding one at LES in 2016. So USU goes from having to submit to a 2-for-1 from the Indy-WACers, to grabbing a one-off against them. This makes a lot more sense since this game is now of more importance to the cougars than it is to the Aggies.

Dear Dr. Hill,

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 26, 2013 1:53 p.m.

So from 2012 until 2016 BYU get's to beat on the downward slide aggies. That's cool because we know the 2011 season win for USU was a fluke. Utah needed to keep the game with USU though. UofU pretty much threw away an easy win by not scheduling USU. Who know's maybe I'm wrong and USU will beat BYU once in those years. But I seriously doubt it.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 26, 2013 4:38 p.m.

@ Naval Vet

"Dear Dr. Hill,

Please take notice: We shouldn't have to schedule a Home-&-Home series with our irrelevant, Indy-WACey little brother if USU can score a one-off off them."

Sorry, he has already decided to want to play BYU for 2017 and 18 and possibly beyond. Be happy Naval Vet, the rivalry is fun. If it wasn't the Ute faithful wouldn't have stormed the field in last years game. Great win by you guys by the way, but it did expose a feeling in many Ute fans (especially on these comment boards) that they wanted to remain hidden but came out from that game, and that is that the rivalry game against BYU means something to you guys. That is why all the talk from you guys that it doesn't matter is a bunch of crock. I will call that bluff every time. Chris Hill sees it and I doubt he'll listen to you.

• dden45 Provo, Utah
    July 26, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Howard S.

Holmoe is only 'stealing the spotlight' when Ute fans post here. Go post on your own stories about your own team.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 26, 2013 5:44 p.m.

"As for me, I never read his posts."

This is my attitude for many illogical haters. I see their name and skip. I don't let a few overly obsessed BYU fans who claim to hate BYU but really do love BYU as evidenced by their moment-to-moment following like a woman following the royal baby story.

Stang,
    "So from 2012 until 2016 BYU get's to beat on the downward slide aggies" I am so glad someone else realizes this but me. Gary had one good year and everyone fails to look at his poor records the other years. So many teams are just like usu last year: Hawai'i, UTEP, Houston, Ball State....the list is big. They have a good season, their coach leaves or their QB leaves and they are back to mediocrity. The only coach who could get them to a historic season bailed on them. 6-8 wins is all they'll get. I was hoping we wouldn't keep playing these guys. Doesn't benefit BYU at all and we'll always keep hearing how BYU stole their color etc etc etc.

• The A Game Logan, UT
    July 26, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Striker,

BYU stole USU's colors. See you through 2016.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 26, 2013 6:25 p.m.

I think it is great that these teams did a home and home to keep the rivalry going. Good for both teams!

Before we get too much hype from the great scheduling, it would be prudent to remember that USU has been ranked in the final polls once in the last how many years? I hope they continue to improve but the Aggies are still a MWC teams that needs to prove they can compete in that conference. Until USU starts winning a few more games against BYU (or Utah) the rivalry is only based on geography, not competiveness.

That said, I hope the Aggies win a bunch of games this year and continue to improve.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    July 26, 2013 6:48 p.m.

When I read threads like these I am convinced that Chris B is a secret BYU fan whose goal is to post as many ridiculous and outlandish comments as possible so any neutral observer would be forced to conclude that Utah fans are blithering idiots.

Anyone who believes Utah should be favored against Utah State this season is indulging in pure BCS-Conference homerism. USU has 18 starters back from the nationally-ranked, 11-2 team that beat Utah last year, while Utah lost half the members and most of the playmakers of its 5-7 no-bowl team, and is breaking in the 6th Utah offensive coordinator in the past 6 seasons.

USU will clobber Utah this season. It won't even be close.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    July 26, 2013 6:50 p.m.

CO Ute:

"Before we get too much hype from the great scheduling, it would be prudent to remember that USU has been ranked in the final polls once in the last how many years?"

By a strange coincidence, one could have said the same thing about Utah in 2003....

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2013 7:07 p.m.

Woe am I looking forward to that game of BYU vs that team from the PRESTIGIOUS POWERHOUSE CONFERENCE!. Too bad the loss to the lowly Cougars in Provo will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the fans of that "Powerhouse" school for two years until the re-match. No worries, most local fans will enjoy the exciting matches during those years between BYU and USU and little attention will be paid to that very prestigious school with those 5-7 records in the PAC-12. Go Cougs!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    July 26, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Just got home from work and read this article. No surprise to see the usual bunch of Utes making half of the comments on this article that has nothing to do with them. Seriously people, get a job. Get out of the house once in a while. It'll be therapeutic.

This will be good for BYU since it should open up opportunities for more high profile games earlier in the season and playing USU late in November should at least have some interest due to the in-state factor. I'm not a fan of playing every other year in Logan however. It's a huge financial loss to play there and unless we have the rest of our road games at places where we can make up for the loss, it will be hard to justify playing there.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 26, 2013 7:11 p.m.

@Chris B - "Frankly I'd like to see the University of Utah further disassociate ourselves with both usu and byu. We've left them behind."

I have never commented on something I've left behind seven times.

@Chris B - "Power conference teams go 2 for 1 with non power conference teams."

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 26, 2013 10:12 p.m.

CougFaninTX said:

"@Chris B -

Yes, finally an acknowledgment that Fresno State is in a power conference. In basketball, you probably think Willamette University is in a power conference?"

Hey don't diss the Bearcats! They won the NAIA D2 BBall title. Dan Hawkins coached there before putting Boise St. on the map.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 26, 2013 11:36 p.m.

I for one am very happy to see this. Yes, we might have roped USU around a little longer, and yes there was a financial disincentive, but when BYU needed a friend in the football world, Utah State was one of the best. I think their loyalty deserves the respect shown by this move.

I DO think that the game conference weekend was part of the magnificent tradition, but I am totally jacked about a new thanksgiving tradition and I hope it NEVER ENDS. The Utah game can be squeezed in wherever, IF it is convenient. Like the House of Israel, I wouldn't mind if Utah wandered in the wilderness (ie the PAC whatever basement) for forty years before ever sniffing the Promised Land.

I'm sorry. My frantic emotions got the best of me. I LIKE Coach Whit and the Utah football team. But as for the fans who are too frequent guests over here: the desert is that way.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 27, 2013 12:05 a.m.

@Striker

You and I are on the same page because we know the truth. And USU will be lucky to get 6-8 win's on the season. We all know there are people who disagree so who is it gonna be first.

• BarkforSark PROVO, UT
    July 27, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Basically what we're seeing here is BYU gradually turning Utah State into its main rivalry and putting Utah in the rearview mirror. And that is the true reason for Chris B.'s rant.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 27, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Well, at least Utah State has the moxy to play BYU every year.

We can't say the same thing about the little school up on the hill.

Go Cougars!

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 27, 2013 10:34 a.m.

That Little School Up On The Hill owns you, and starting this year, the Aggies will too.

Go Utes.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    July 27, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Glad to see the BYU-Utah State game moving to November. Both teams, but especially BYU, will be taking a big hit financially and far fewer fans will be able to attend the game in person, but this will give both teams a fun, season-ending rivalry to look forward to each year.

It would be nice to see the Utes grow a backbone and get the PAC to allow them to play BYU in November every year. The Colorado/Utah game could easily be moved to September every year, with both teams playing their natural rivals in November. Unfortunately, as long as the Utes are content to remain PAC 10.2 serfs, that's unlikely to happen.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 27, 2013 11:31 a.m.

No backbone necessary to beat byu.

• USNGary South Jordan, UT
    July 27, 2013 12:09 p.m.

, correct me if I'm wrong but when BYU went independent, they scheduled a 2 for 1 in PROVO with Utah, go figure. My first comment was declined because I put Chrissy in there. Thanks Dnews, you allow so many more comments that are rude.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2013 12:33 p.m.

Mountainman56

-----

Best comment on the thread.

- Gives BYU a significant upgrade from the Idaho's of the world in strength of schedule
    - Gives BYU players a reason to be motivated in November
    - Gives the Aggies something to shoot for if their season has gone bad and validation for them outside the MWC if their season has gone well
    - Creates a consistent rivalry -- something missing in BYU's independent schedule. Even Notre Dame has USC, Stanford, Army, Navy and now the ACC. Here's hoping BYU can evolve into a rivalry with Notre Dame.
    - Gives Ute fans something to be obsessed about after their season is already shot
    - All of which gets more viewers to tune in: Win for ESPN, BYU, USU and little u.

The only downside is heavy travel in Sardine Canyon, which can be hazardous in November. Take a bus, people.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 27, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Gives byu an in state opponent closer to it's ability, since they can't beat Utah.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    July 27, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Gives BYU an opponent that the Utes are no longer good enough to beat.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 28, 2013 1:32 a.m.

@SportsFan

Please tell me you did not just say that about Utah/USU. Once in 100 years doesn't make you the better team.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 28, 2013 1:34 p.m.

RE: Stang08

I'm pretty sure that SportsFan was just being funny in his response to ekute (who was trolling). However, if you believe the trolls than his statement isn't that far off. According to many who post on this board (i.e. AZUTE, Chris B., Howard S, etc), football started the instant the Utes joined the illustrious PAC12. Prior to that MWC was on-par with the BCS conferences, the BYU/Utah rivalry mattered, and the the BCS was the evil empire. Now that Utah is in a BCS conference all of a sudden football matters (see arguments about SOS, in-state recruiting, etc). If that is all true than you have to submit that during the PAC12 w/Utah era USU is undefeated against their little brothers up on the hill.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 28, 2013 3:04 p.m.

@Wiscougarfan

To me it doesn't matter what conference Utah is in. They are still a better overall program then USU. Or would you like me to look up the overall record and show you? The MWC was great when Utah and BYU were in it. When they left and who knows how many other teams left. And half the WAC went and made it the WAC 2.0 then the MWC became nothing. Utah/BYU made the MWC. Now that they are on to bigger things the WAC 2.0 is nothing. Again let me know if you want to see the actual Utah/USU record. You aggies really don't want to see it. 1 win out of 100+ games. just sad if your a USU fan.

• The A Game Logan, UT
    July 28, 2013 4:04 p.m.

What if everyone made this about Utah and BYU? That would be so cool.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 28, 2013 6:16 p.m.

@Stangg,

It doesn't matter who is the better overall program in terms of revenue, wins, recruits etc. I think that is the point that has been lost by the University of Utah and many of its fans. The matter with all three teams is who is RELEVANT.

BYU has always been relevant with football fans around the country. They are even more relevant outside of the United States. Relevancy continued through the awful stretch of the Gary Crowton years. Being seen internationally and as the top US sports program from the US in many smaller countries (including professional) BYU will always be relevant outside the state.

Utah was relevant while part of the MWC. They used to be one of the teams that was talked about nationally and considered an upstart program capable of mixing it up with the big boys. They beat a fantastic Alabama team. They joined the PAC12, face-planted and have since left all national discussion outside of the state of Utah.

Utah State wasn't relevant until that game in Auburn. Its a shame you haven't noticed what the program has done the past two years.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 28, 2013 9:07 p.m.

RE: Stang08

Relax, I didn't mean to insinuate that the Aggies have a stronger football program than the Utes--I know better than that--I was just giving you a hard time for going along with the trolls.

The truth is that Utah has been very good this last decade, but there has been a dip in their performance these last few years. The Aggies have historically not been very good but they have seen a definite uptick in the last few years--and shouldn't be disrespected for the progress they've made. I believe of all the in-state programs BYU has the strongest tradition (most national respect) but they haven't been great in the past few years either. All three teams have the potential to surprise people (i.e. play in BCS games), can't wait for the season to start in a few weeks.

• Sharknado The Ocean, CA
    July 29, 2013 2:23 p.m.

I just find it funny that BYU scheduled Utah to a 2-2. Just sayin'.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 29, 2013 11:38 p.m.

What uptick Wiscourgarfan? One maybe two winning seasons, one conference title, two bowl games only one of which was a W, and finally beating BYU for the first time a couple years ago, and finally beating Utah for the first time last year. Sorry but doing all that in one MAYBE two years isn't on the uptick. And everyone seems to forget why all those event's happend.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 30, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Stang08
    Southern, UT

Surely you are at least a little bit graphically minded? Place a point anywhere the Aggies were before coach A, place another point where they were two years ago, and a third point and connect the dots. That's up. The facts that it was a short period of time, and that coach A is gone? That's a tick.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 30, 2013 8:36 a.m.

Stang08

#16/#17 > unranked
    two bowl games > one bowl game
    head-to-head win > head-to-head loss

What part of, since Utah joined the PAC, Utah State has been better than Utah, do you not understand?

Since 2008, Utah has been in steady decline, and by 2012, the Utes were clearly only the 3rd best team in the state.

Until the Utes prove otherwise, they'll remain the 3rd best team in the state.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    July 30, 2013 9:50 a.m.

Stang08,

Honestly, what is your beef with USU? I guess a true test of whether or not a program is on the upswing is if they have haters. USU was never good enough to have haters until recently. I see you bash them all the time. So what is the story? Let the board be your psychologist.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 30, 2013 11:16 a.m.

I agree with the other posters... USU has definitely seen an uptick in the last few seasons. In addition to the national rankings, wins against both their rivals, and bowl game appearances; they are also seeing improvements against big-time competition (lost by a touchdown to #7 Oklahoma, by 4 points to #23 Auburn, 2 points to a Wisc team that played in the Rose bowl, and by only 3 in their two most recent losses to BYU), improvements in recruiting, players are getting drafted, and attendance and excitement about their program is way up. I hope the momentum keeps up, but am nervous that coach Anderson's departure will serve a major blow.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 30, 2013 1:05 p.m.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 30, 2013 2:10 p.m.

RE: Stang08

"So USU is right behind BYU where they belong in your eye's. Why do I have to explain why I hate the aggies every five minutes? If you could actually read you would know. Wiscougarfan, your last point was correct. But what happend with all those games you mentioned? The aggies lost every single one of them. Because they aren't talented enough to pull off the upset. Does anyone dispute that. Again learn to read and you'll know why I do not like the aggies."

You're right, I must have serious reading comprehension problems because in your posts all I can deduce is that you dislike USU because 1) they aren't Utah, and 2) they play in the MWC which you deem an inferior league.

I'm o.k. with trolls roaming these boards (they make things interesting), but I don't believe one's dislike of a particular team entitles them to spew hate or discount valid points. The point many of us on this thread are making is that USU has seen dramatic improvement over the last few seasons. You have not yet shown any evidence that contradicts that.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 30, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Rational
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Mountainman56

-----

Best comment on the thread.

______

Pleeeeez BYU fans. Stop the ND nonsense. The have an affiliation with the ACC which required them to drop some decades old rivalries. What makes you think they will continue with BYU? Already said they would target catholic populated areas like USC & Stanford out West. Not the beehive state.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    July 30, 2013 9:19 p.m.

WACpaddled

LOL at your hilarious post pretending that you're "in the know" about any of Notre Dame's future plans.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 30, 2013 10:04 p.m.

SportsFan
    Orem, UT said:

"WACpaddled

Sorry to burst your crimson-colored, BYU-hating bubble, but being a fan of a big boy conference bottom dweller doesn't make you clairvoyant."

Sorry to burst your bubble. But you might want to do research before making that kind of post. You might want to read up on Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick's comments and why the dropped Michigan. They are adjusting to the semi agreement with the ACC. And keeping rivalries with USC, Navy, Stanford and even Purdue & Michigan State for now. Any mention of BYU? No. Will ND keep the existing contract in place with BYU? Well yes and no. ND can play out the schedule or cancel games. BYU could even be on their schedule every few years. But don't think for a minute they will play ND every year as some rival that BYU hopefuls want.

BYU = schedule filler, not rival.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 31, 2013 9:00 a.m.

upinthenight

As far as being a schedule filler, which team is really the schedule filler? The team that's already hosted the Irish twice, and beaten them twice. Or the team that was destroyed in a one-and-done in South Bend?

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 31, 2013 9:45 a.m.

sleepless one

"Will ND keep the existing contract in place with BYU? Well yes and no."

You might want to learn to do a little research of your own before calling out other bloggers.

What evidence do you have that Notre Dame isn't planning to honor their contract with BYU?

Your personal, biased opinion of what you think Notre Dame might do is meaningless. It certainly wasn't derived from anything you "discovered" in your "research".

• Big Brother BYU Orem, UT
    July 31, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I agree with Stang08.. The Aggies are just pretending they can compete when in reality their last season was essentially a fluke. As well as when they beat us in Logan a couple years ago. Don't expect it to happen again Aggies. You will be put back in your place. BYU is Strong. Loyal. True.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 31, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Big Brother BYU

Nice try, but your post has the distinct odor of hill dwelling troll.

The Aggies had a great season last year and deserve every bit of praise they've been given. Even though BYU beat them, the Aggies were the better team overall. BYU could have been great if they'd had even a slightly above average offense; their defense was one of the best in the country.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 31, 2013 12:02 p.m.

@Big Brother BYU

Pride goeth before the fall.

If the Cougars think they can stroll into Romney stadium and get an easy W, they're toast.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 31, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Sambonethegreat

Expecting a good fight from the Aggies in Logan.

btw,

big brother BYU = Utah troll

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 31, 2013 2:38 p.m.

@Stang08

"It's because of fan's like you. The way you treat everyone. The disrespect you show everyone weather it's at home or you follow your team on the road. How you think USU is the center of the Universe and how you think they are the best team in the country when in fact the National Champion is the best in the country."

You just described every rabid fan of every rabid fan base in the country, not just USU. What die-hard fan doesn't think their team is the center of the universe in some regard? It's called passion. What's wrong with that?

If you choose to be offended, fine, but don't claim somebody is disrespectful when you are clearly being just as disrespectful.

And sounding like a broken record isn't going to get you respect, but it will induce tears of boredom from the readers. If that's your goal, by all means... keep it up.

Lastly, Wiscougarfan isn't even an Aggie fan. Thought you could have figured that out. Guess I was wrong.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 31, 2013 7:53 p.m.

Uteanymous
    Salt Lake City, Utah said"

sleepless one

""Will ND keep the existing contract in place with BYU? Well yes and no.""

I never said ND is not going to keep its commitment. Could you not figure that out after you just quoted me above?
    I did my research, you should have done the same before making a futile attempt at your post.
    Here you are claiming about my "might do" when ND is already doing it to other schools. And other schools have already done to BYU! Back out of a contract.

There is no evidence that ND will keep its agreement in the first place with BYU.

Your personal, biased opinion of what you think Notre Dame might do is meaningless. It certainly wasn't derived from anything you "posted" in your "comment."

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 31, 2013 8:03 p.m.

Just the FAX
    Olympus Cove, Utah said:

"upinthenight

Not a single BYU fan has even implied that BYU will be playing Notre Dame every year, but BYU does have a contract with Notre Dame, that after this year's game at Notre Dame, will still have 2 games at BYU and 2 games at Notre Dame remaining on the contract."

Exactly Just the FAX!

If contracts are valid then why have teams backed out of playing BYU?
    And why is ND canceling contracts with the likes of Michigan? Sorry bud, It's the ACC, and the hotbeds of CA, FL & TX from here on out. BYU is just a punching bag for a few games.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    July 31, 2013 8:44 p.m.

upinthenight

"What makes you think you know what Jack Swarbrick is thinking concerning Notre Dame's future scheduling agreement with BYU?"

BYU has a signed contract with Notre Dame and the Irish haven't even hinted that they don't intend to honor their commitment.

Most contracts include a buyout agreement, which the Irish chose not exercise in their first contract with BYU, and the Irish haven't given any indication that they intend to exercise in their latest contract with BYU.

In fact,

(continued)

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    July 31, 2013 8:53 p.m.

Jack Swarbrick, Athletic Director at Notre Dame, gave BYU's decision to go independent his seal of approval. Swarbrick stated: "(Independence) is not for everybody, but they [BYU] certainly fit the profile of an institution for whom it probably does make great sense. Swarbrick is encouraged by the shared characteristics and values shared by his institution and BYU--national profile, strong history and traditions that are important to honor. We try very hard as we start our scheduling process to start by looking at schools that have a common approach to collegiate athletics and share our values. And they certainly fit that category."

Breaking Notre Dame's contract with BYU certainly doesn't sound like the kind of commitment Swarbrick would walk away from lightly.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 31, 2013 9:43 p.m.

And another thing Stang. Go ahead and enjoy your fruitless Aggie-hating crusade. While you're whipping yourself into a frenzy and having aneurysms, I'll be enjoying some college football from ALL of the Utah teams. Two hundred bucks wagers I'll be a lot happier during the next few months than you'll be.

Good day to you, sir.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    July 31, 2013 11:37 p.m.

PAC man

>>>>

Ask Michigan how they feel. Swarbrick walked away from that. They are/were way more tied together than BYU and Notre Dame. BYU would be better off making some kind of arrangement like Notre Dame did with the ACC.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:24 a.m.

no conference championships for U

"Ask Michigan how they feel. Swarbrick walked away from that. They are/were way more tied together than BYU and Notre Dame."

As far as being Independent, religiously-based, private schools, with strong football traditions and national fanbases goes, BYU is much more like Notre Dame, than Michigan, which is exactly the point Swarbrick was making.

BYU is already making informal scheduling arrangements with selected MWC schools, but it's doubtful that BYU would even want a formal arrangement where a road game in Laramie would even be a remote possibility.

As far as a formal scheduling arrangement with the Big 12 goes, I don't see any reason why the Big 12 would be interested in such an arrangement. BYU being invited to join the conference if/when the Big 12 decides to expand, is much more likely.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Just one thing Sambonethegreat. I don't care about what you have to say. It's as simple as that. No one here knows what they are talking about so why should I listen to any of you?