Rational or Irrational: DN Comment boards explode as college football season approaches

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2013 4:00 p.m.

Ute seniors will sweep the byu seniors 4-0 in the careers.

Utah 30
    byu 14

Mark it Down

I won't post on byu articles all year if byu wins.

I've made the same promise the last 3 years.

I'll be posting all year.

Ute seniors SWEEP!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Here is how things will play out

Utah 8-4
    USU 8-4
    byu 7-6

Mark it Down!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 15, 2013 4:33 p.m.

I was going to try to post something funny, but there are already three posts from Chris B.

Anyway .....

Go Utes!! Go KW, BJ, KS, DE, et al!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 15, 2013 4:47 p.m.

I can't wait for the fourth annual flock migration to Tulsa on 9/21! Silence will be golden!

Where is Fangupo??

Go Utes! Onward and Upward!!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2013 4:49 p.m.

Christy

BYU 31
    Utah 14

Here's how things will really play out:

BYU 10-3
    USU 8-5
    Utah 4-8

Mark it down!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    July 15, 2013 5:03 p.m.

I thought that most people knew that the Des News writes articles almost exclusively to get comments. They never miss an opportunity to get the fans jabbing each other. They are the #1 group who is most disappointed in the rivalry taking a break and cooling down a bit for 2 years.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 15, 2013 5:07 p.m.

There are 2 major flaws among the obsessive Ute and Cougar faithful on these comment boards:

#1, Utah does not have it made, nor are they respected nationally just because they are in the PAC 12. It's just not there, and if you think it is, then you really need to get out of Utah more. The Utes had way more respect when they were in the Mtn West and regularly beating Pac 10 teams (as well as winning BCS games). This has reversed considerably now that they are in the Pac 12 and the losses have begun to pile up.

#2, The ESPN deal, BYU's history, and it's national following does not translate into nationwide respect either. Interest yes, but respect no. Outside of the Oklahoma win 4 years ago, BYU wins are scarce against really competitive programs. The reason BYU has been able to come up with such great schedules in independence is that big time programs aren't nervous to schedule them. Big time teams avoid Boise St like the plague because they are scared of an L. BYU, not so much.

You have to get it done on the field.

• Just Smiling BOUNTIFUL, UT
    July 15, 2013 5:18 p.m.

All 3 teams have intriguing schedules and BYU has a better schedule than the last 3 years. I'm amazed at anyone that questions that Utah has the hardest schedule. Everyone has forgotten that the possibility of scheduling Stanford, USC, Oregon or really either of the Arizona schools would have been unheard of in the past. Maybe one of them (if they were expected to be in a rebuilding mode) but never more than one a season and now all of them ARE the season. The real challenge is that not only have the Arizona schools vastly improved over the last 2 years but so have Oregon State and UCLA. Has anyone noticed that according to at least 2 prominent pre-season rating groups that Utah will be playing 7 PAC-12 teams rated higher than BYU or Utah. Utah State is much better than their preseason rating and will be very difficult for either BYU or Utah. That leaves Weber State, Washington State and Colorado as less difficult games. BYU plays Virginia, MidTennessee, Houston, Idaho State, and Nevada all rated #62 or worse. I'm just saying hope for the best for all Utah teams. It's going to be tough!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 15, 2013 8:20 p.m.

Alright, I got quoted! See, even the DN loves my comments about getting dropped only to be added by the big boys of Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Texas!

"#2, The ESPN deal, BYU's history, and it's national following does not translate into nationwide respect either. Interest yes, but respect no"

So Utah drops BYU and adds Fresno because they don't respect BYU? Utah doesn't respect the rivalry, and scheduling Fresno instead demonstrates that. You don't get other teams like Wisconsin, Boise, Virginia schools, Texas, Arizona and USC to schedule you if they don't respect you. East Coast to West Coast and North to South are scheduling BYU. That's interest and respect.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 15, 2013 9:22 p.m.

@Striker

Respect nationally and willingness to schedule are 2 different things. Trust me, USC doesn't schedule USU because they truly respect them. They schedule them because they know there is a high likelihood of coming away with a W.

Texas and Wisconsin schedule BYU for the same reason. Michigan schedules Utah for the same reason.

Outside of Utah, BYU and Utah both have limited (or no) respect. Utah had it once but has lost all credibility with their PAC 12 results.

Fair or not, the only thing that will change the outside lack of respect are wins against quality opponents.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 15, 2013 9:56 p.m.

@ Chris B

"Mark it Down

I won't post on byu articles all year if byu wins"

I'll say it again, when BYU beats Utah this year do us all a favor a don't comment until they play again in 2016.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2013 10:29 p.m.

I used to think BYU fans limited their ugly comments to Utah and USU fans; bad feelings brought out by long time rivalries. But check out the national boards sometime. BYU fans aren't shy about taking that ugliness to jab at Virginia fans, Texas fans, anyone on their schedule. Opposing fans don't get why BYU fans take their comments to such a low level. I guess I'm numb to it, but seeing those fan reactions make you wonder... what's happened to sportsmanship at BYU? The school doesn't want negative exposure like that.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    July 15, 2013 11:51 p.m.

SoonerUte

Actual quote from a Notre Dame fan on a CBS sports blog re: Utah and BYU fans:

"ND95KC: I think Red801 might need to travel more or move out of the 801 area code for the 1st time in his life. BYU was relevant long before his Utes ever were and have consistently been so for 30 years. I'm a Notre Dame alum and fan and was absolutely baffled by the crowd Utah brought to our game last fall. There I was, expecting to meet a humble, respectable crowd akin to the crowds we have seen when BYU has visited over the years. Utah comes to town and shows an arrogance I haven't seen since Miami in the 80's (at least Miami had national titles). Even their band was disrespectful. And for what? Two bowl victories? C'mon Red, you can do better than that. Call me when your Utes (what is a Ute anyway?) win a trophy that's worth something. Until then, all you are is Boise State."

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    July 16, 2013 7:48 a.m.

For sure, the comments on these boards are amusing. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, California, Utah, Connecticut, Virginia and Nebraska. I've worked in nearly every state, western Europe, India, China, Japan, Indonesia, Philippines, Jamaica, Brazil and a couple more ... I've been around a bit. I was living in Omaha in 1984. People noticed BYU then, for sure.

These boards are parochial. Outside of Utah, nobody cares about the University of Utah and Utah State. BYU? I've seen a BYU sticker on a car in Manila. I sat with a group of friends in Virginia watching a BYU-Penn State game. I've been seeing BYU in bowl games nearly every year since 1976. Almost every year a national TV game featured a BYU game. Texas, Notre Dame, Penn State. Now BYU plays a national schedule every year.

The only Utah team known by anyone outside of Utah is BYU. And that will continue to be the case.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    July 16, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Solomon Levi

There will always be knuckheads in every fan base, but boorish fan behavior is definitely more prevalent amongst the crimson crowd.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 16, 2013 8:48 a.m.

I've lived in a lot of states in every region of the country and everywhere I've been everybody knows who the Utah Utes are and nobody's ever heard of byu. lol.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 16, 2013 9:28 a.m.

@Solomon Levi,

Again you are confusing the visibility and recognition of BYU with respect. Just because they know who you are, doesn't mean they fear you or your program.

BYU has very few quality wins in recent years. Top programs nationally have no reluctance in scheduling BYU because they know there is a high probability of getting a W.

All that other stuff is just fluff.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2013 11:20 a.m.

@BlueHusky

And how much of your experience relates to Mormons outside of Utah?

All of it?

LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 16, 2013 11:27 a.m.

I like the headline claiming "comment board explodes" as if this was a rare occurance. It is just more of what goes on around here all of the time, nothing "explosive" about it. Very funny LOL.

• Just Smiling BOUNTIFUL, UT
    July 16, 2013 11:41 a.m.

Blue Husky- sounds like you are out of it (the country) alot. Also sounds like your world revolves around whatever LDS congregation is in the area you are in. Of course the local wards know the BYU brand, but realistically outside of membership ranks BYU is either unknown or insignificant. Read multiple articles in D-News talking about BYU recruits who aren't LDS and they say that they hadn't heard about BYU until they were recruited. Just look at BYU bowl ratings. Not exactly a national passion. BYU visability will grow at the same rate as church membership growth increases. And that's ok. Some of us see our membership in the the church and BYU football as two very different things.

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 16, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Considering Top25 finishes, even in recent years, BYU comes to mind, not Utah. Hate to burst the Utah bubble but BYU is the national brand (not just a state school or west coast bottom-dweller)! Other Top25 teams likely don't fear either, as far as that argument goes. But ESPN respects a match-up of BYU vs. anyone, over very likely U of U losses(outside of maybe 2 years in the ESPN era). That's credibility!

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    July 16, 2013 1:15 p.m.

FatMan86

Top quality opponents respect BYU as a quality program with great fan support wherever they play. That's one of the reasons ESPN was so excited to create a partnership with BYU. The World Wide Leader had missed televising BYU games while the Cougars were banished to The MTN, so it wasn't at all surprising to see ESPN sign BYU to an 8-year contract at the same time BYU announced its Independence.

Despite the clueless naysaying from those living under that crimson bubble on the hill, BYU's national brand was the key to BYU's partnership with ESPN.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2013 2:33 p.m.

@LonestarRunner
    "Most of BYU's Seniors already beaten the Utes (in 2009), and will be looking to even the score with another win in a couple of months:"

I was going to say redshirting doesn't really count since they aren't even playing but then I remembered the whole mission matter so I guess some of them played that year.

@BlueHusky
    "These boards are parochial. Outside of Utah, nobody cares about the University of Utah and Utah State. BYU? I've seen a BYU sticker on a car in Manila. "

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2013 4:36 p.m.

@ Solomon Levi

Since when is being compared to Boise St. a bad thing? They have been nothing short of dominant the last decade. Also, the band "incident" he referred to was an honest mistake. There was no disrespect intended.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 16, 2013 5:06 p.m.

Its funny how wins against quality opponents are always considered meaningless by the anti-fans. BYU has beat plenty of quality programs over the years, and usually when they have that team stumbles the rest of the time due to the physicality of the game. The same thing happened when the Utes beat Michigan. Michigan didn't recover just as Oklahoma didn't heal when the Cougars came into town and beat them .

Utah has had far fewer big out of conference wins than the Cougars. MOST of the top ten greatest victories for the program were wins against BYU.

The great news is that any of the three teams if they do well this year can say that they beat a solid team considering the schedule.

Here is my challenge for fans of Utah, BYU and USU. Give me your five biggest wins in your program's history.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2013 7:40 p.m.

Two For Flinching

From a little-school-that-could perspective, being compared to Boise St is a good thing for U.

From a national perspective that fans of National Championship and Heisman Trophy winning programs like Notre Dame and BYU have, bcs bowl winners are small potatoes.

That's certainly what Notre Dame fan ND95KC was thinking when he said:

"Call me when your Utes... win a trophy that's worth something."

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 16, 2013 8:24 p.m.

This is the kind of article you see when there is absolutely nothing going on in the world of sports. So the editors of this newspaper try to create controversy by touching on the most sensitive buttons of the readers, namely the Utah-BYU rivalry. Add to this, several posts by mostly pro-BYU, anti-Utah fans, and there you have it.

• Atrix Vancouver, WA
    July 16, 2013 10:25 p.m.

I just moved to Pac-12 Country here in Washington and anyone who follows sports knows BYU. Whenever I bring up the Utes (Since it is Pac-12 country) I get the strangest looks. I meet non-mormon people all the time who are big fans of Steve Young and other BYU greats. Their tradition and Jimmer are the top two things locals always bring up when I mention I'm a BYU fan.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    July 17, 2013 9:19 a.m.

This is so cool; an article about comments about articles that result in lots of comments. I just have to make a comment about it. This experience is so awesome I just had to come on here today and make a comment. I testify that my comment is true. It just feels so right. . .

On second thought, I have no comment about the comments.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 17, 2013 3:51 p.m.

@atl

"Outside of Utah nobody would care about BYU if it was a state school, the only reason it has the audience reach it does is because it's the LDS school."

Huh? That doesn't even make any sense. BYU IS NOT a common old state school. They are a wealthy top notch private university with a world wide following. All schools have the followings they have for a reason and in BYU's case it is because it is the flagship university, and one of the most important institutions, of a worldwide church with millions of members.

You can have angst and lament the reasons why BYU has what it has in comparison to an average run of the mill state school like utah, but it matters not. BYU has it, utah does not. BYU is important to millions of people all over the world and utah is not. Just the way it is.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 17, 2013 4:45 p.m.

Too funny.

u fans get the truth from Blue Husky and then they claim that it is only because he hangs out with LDS people.

Weak.

I can second almost everything he says as I have traveled all over the world for work.

No one cares about utah. But, there are people who know about BYU EVERYWHERE.

And no, its not all about being LDS.

There is no comparison of a legacy program with TONS of recognition and the little school on the hill in SL County. the u doesn't compare, not at all.

• Granite Flats Rules Sacramento, CA
    July 17, 2013 6:22 p.m.

"No one cares about utah. But, there are people who know about BYU EVERYWHERE."

Obviously there are people that care about the U of U, otherwise the school wouldn't exist. By "no one," you mean you don't care. And that's fine by me. If we look deep down, though, you DO care or else you wouldn't bother posting about it, what with all your world travel exploits.

And, yes, it is mainly LDS people that care about BYU and little else. I don't hear any mention of BYU outside of LDS people in NorCal. I've lived abroad, as well, as a BYU student and when we mentioned the school we were with we got nothing but blank looks from the people.

"I have been in many a bar watching BYU on TV. I was even in a bar and caught a BYU game on BYUTV because some opposing teams fans were watching."

Exactly. They were watching the OTHER team as you, yourself, stated. Where was this? My guess is Idaho.

The reality is that neither Utah or BYU has much impact in college sports. Sorry.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 18, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Granite Flats Rules

"And, yes, it is mainly LDS people that care about BYU and little else."

You couldn't be more wrong. Its funny that u fans can't accept BYU's dominance in respect and viability. But hey, in ALL your world travels how much did you talk to others who are NOT LDS?

The bar was in Spain and there were plenty of people who were watching the game who were fans of both teams. Like that would make any difference to the argument. When was the last time you could catch a utah game in Spain? Pretty sure the regional channels that carry utah football don't reach there.

Finally, "The reality is that neither Utah or BYU has much impact in college sports."

So the creation of a system to keep BYU and others out of national championships was nothing? Quarterback U is nothing? 10 win season that are talked about by sports caster is nothing? the experiment of independence is nothing? having our players on the cover of the PAC 12 college football guide is nothing?

You are right about one thing, utah has no impact on college sports in any sport.

• RedUtes08 West Jordan, UT
    July 18, 2013 10:32 a.m.

The scriptures say: "Wo, wo, wo to those (or who think they are;))the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts."

These comment boards are so dilusional with Pride on both sides of the argument. These same arguments were on the articles 2 weeks ago! does anybody get sick of arguing the same thing over and over again?? Can't we all be friends!?!?

As a die hard Ute Fan through and through, I am able (in good conscience) root for my Running Utes and also hope for the Y to do good in most other games (besides of course against the Utes and other teams i cheer for)

Proud to be a Ute!!

• Granite Flats Rules Sacramento, CA
    July 18, 2013 5:11 p.m.

"how much did you talk to others who are NOT LDS?"

Almost exclusively. I speak Italian fluently and I was in Italy (with BYU) as I mentioned previously. When I did converse with Italians there were lots of blank stares when I mentioned I was there as a BYU student.

"The bar was in Spain and there were plenty of people who were watching the game who were fans of both teams."

I don't believe that for a second. Even if it were true, one isolated story does not mean that BYU has a strong international presence.

“So the creation of a system to keep BYU and others out of national championships was nothing?”

So you’re admitting that ‘84 was a sham?

“the experiment of independence is nothing?”

Yes, it’s nothing. ND has been doing it for years and been far more successful at it, I might add.

BYU AND Utah do not have nearly the impact on college sports that the fans think they do. As a world traveler I thought you would have discovered this, but apparently you are blinded by your fan goggles.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 19, 2013 4:31 p.m.

@Granite Flats Rules "Even if it were true, one isolated story does not mean that BYU has a strong international presence."

Maybe not. But the fact that BYUtv can be seen worldwide in over 200 countries, and the fact that there are more members of the church outside of the U.S. than inside would suggest that BYU's international presence is stronger than 99% of the other DI universities here in the U.S.

Also, from the BYUtv website in an article dated November 28, 2011 ("A Small World After All") we find this gem: "For instance, since January 2011, BYUtv.org has received over 2.8 million visits from people in 211 countries and territories."

So in 10 months, nearly 3 million people had visited BYUtv.org, the vast majority to watch programming the article later states.

So people are definitely aware of BYU outside of the U.S.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 19, 2013 4:36 p.m.

@Granite Flats Rules

Also, I had the opportunity to work in an art gallery in Santa Fe for a summer. We had people from all over the country (and some internationally) come in to buy artwork. Hardly any of them were LDS, but whenever I talked to them and mentioned that I was from Utah and attending school at BYU, the vast majority would immediately say "The Jimmer's school!" Others would talk about Brandon Davies, and some of the older people I talked to would bring up Steve Young or Ty Detmer.

I also talked to a couple of Texas fans who knew that BYU was coming to play down in Texas and were excited for the match-up.

Does everybody know about BYU? Of course not, but a lot of people do, and a lot more than U are giving credit for.

Go Cougars!

• Granite Flats Rules Sacramento, CA
    July 19, 2013 5:57 p.m.

truecoug1,

This might shock you, but many people want BYUtv for reasons other than sports. For most, the other reasons they want it far outweigh the sports. I cenrtainly don't have it for BYU sports. Shocking, I know.

"So people are definitely aware of BYU outside of the U.S."

Yes, LDS people in other parts of the world know BYU. It's the people that aren't LDS that don't. Incidentally, that's the majority of the people.

And I agree that Jimmer, Steve Young, and Ty Detmer were all greats at BYU (just like Alex Smith, Andrew Bogut (Australian), Eric Weddle were at Utah), but in terms of an overall impact to college athletics, BYU and Utah don't matter at a national level.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    July 19, 2013 8:29 p.m.

We all decide to ignore President Uchtdorfs talk (it has only been a couple of years)

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 20, 2013 12:11 p.m.

@Granite Flats Rules "This might shock you, but many people want BYUtv for reasons other than sports."

So do I. Not sure what your point is. U were claiming that BYU doesn't have a strong international presence. I simply showed that they do, and U haven't said or shown anything to refute that.

"Yes, LDS people in other parts of the world know BYU. It's the people that aren't LDS that don't."

And how could U possibly know that? Can U show me actual proof that the 3 million international people who tuned into BYUtv programming during that 10-month span were all LDS? Can U show me proof that the people around the world who happen to see BYU athletics in bars, or in internet cafe's, or other areas of the world are all LDS?

There are plenty of non-LDS people in the U.S. and outside of it that know about BYU. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but quit trying to stir the pot, especially since U have absolutely zero quantifiable data to support your claim.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 20, 2013 12:23 p.m.

@Granite Flats Rules "but in terms of an overall impact to college athletics, BYU and Utah don't matter at a national level."

What? BYU is one of a handful of programs with a national championship in football, Heisman trophy winner, and consensus national player of the year in basketball, not to mention competing for national championships in volleyball, track and field, and rugby. ESPN recently ranked BYU as a top 25 most prestigious program in college football, and Athlon had them at #25 in their Top College Football dynasties list.

Utah was the original BCS-buster and made headlines by dominating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in 2008. CBS Sports recently ranked them as a Top 10 program during the BCS era, their basketball program is considered a Top 25 Program of All Time by several media outlets (NBC Sports, Rant Sports, etc), and their gymnastics program is a perennial contender.

So again, I'm not sure what your agenda is in trying to minimize both of these universities, but I fail to see how neither of these universities matter on a national level in collegiate athletics.

Go Cougars!