Family

Mommy wars resurface following Parents magazine poll

Comments

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 12, 2013 2:32 p.m.

Set aside all the politicized spin, and nobody seems to be taking into account the fact that most moms LOVE to stay at home with their children - if for no other reason than because they love their children! "Working" (employed) moms often hate the time when their maternity leave runs out and they have to return to "work" - because it means seeing and spending less time with their children.

From this perspective, "toughest job" takes on new meaning. Perhaps the "toughest" thing to do is leave your loved ones every day, for eight hours or more per day?

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    July 12, 2013 2:38 p.m.

In the end I think I agree with the statement that being a mom(or a dad) is the most important job. I'd even say it's harder than my office job. But not the most difficult in the world, Oil field workers, vegetable pickers, POTUS and waste water treatment facility workers all are on my short list of more difficult/gross jobs.

• Fiannan Eugene, Oregon
    July 12, 2013 4:06 p.m.

And sometimes people think it is really tough for LDS parents who tend to have larger-than-average families. However, as a parent of 8 I can attest to the blessings associated with such families. Here is an interview (on YouTube)of a Mormon mother of 9 explaining the joys of having such a family: "Large Families are Great: Unlock the Door Radio"

The family is vital to the survival of a culture and nation. One's job is only temporary but families are forever. The role of "dad" and "mom" are the most important ones in this world.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2013 7:57 p.m.

My wife gave me seven sons and four daughters. On the day of my youngest son's birth, I took a job that required much travel and extended stays away from home. My wife did the job of two. I know her job was tougher than mine, and mine was challenging.

I would like to amend the generalization: Being a dedicated and successful mom of a large family is the toughest job on the planet. Anne Romney was a dedicated and successful mom of a large family. The woman who claimed Mrs. Romney hadn't worked a day in her life has a very different vision of motherhood than do my wife and Mrs. Romney.

• happymomto9 Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 12, 2013 8:36 p.m.

"The other 8% are rocket scientists and coal miners"

i was a "rocket scientist" - worked for NASA for 10 years before getting married and having children. i'm still in the 92%! being a mom is significantly harder than being a "rocket scientist" in my book.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    July 12, 2013 9:15 p.m.

"running around with a couple of toddlers that you can send to bed anytime you want?"

Obviously a statement by someone who has never tried to put toddlers to bed.

• jeanie orem, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:39 p.m.

When a job is 24/7 with no vacation days (your work comes right along with you) or sick days, ever, all year, and the objects of your job are unpredictable, defiant, needy, have severly underdeveloped communication skills and overdeveloped expectations of you, etc., yet you would give your life for them with no hesitation, sacrifice your sleep, and sanity for them, it is very difficult - but really, really, really worth it.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    July 14, 2013 12:10 p.m.

Keep in mind, the 92% are all readers of Parenting magazing. Not exactly a scientific poll.

And no mother is working 7x24. They do get a couple of hours of sleep.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    July 14, 2013 3:18 p.m.

The question isn't what is the most difficult job: stay at home raising your children or go out to work. The important question is: In which situation are the children most likely to get the support and training and love that they need to become responsible citizens themselves? The answer to that is obvious.

• jeanie orem, UT
    July 14, 2013 8:28 p.m.

As a mom you are on call 24/7.