Report: Austin Collie still on 49ers' radar

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Where are all the stories about all the recent BYU grads actually playing and succeeding in the NFL?

Oh wait...

LOL!

Number of guys Kyle Whittingham has recruited and had drafted? Over 20.
    Number of guys Nick Saban has recruited and had drafted? Over 20.
    Les Miles? Over 20
    Steve Spurrier? Over 20
    Gary Patterson? Over 20

BYU's Bronco? 0.

None.

Not one.

LOL!

Go Utes!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    July 12, 2013 12:42 p.m.

And how many former BYU players have been to the Super Bowl...and actually won? Collie's been there, Pitta, Young, Ring, etc.. LOL

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Chris,
    Run along, the adults are taking.

• SoUtBoy25 Cedar City, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:48 p.m.

@Chris B

So what are you saying, Kyle is an underachieving coach and/or Bronco is better at coaching up his players?

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:59 p.m.

I am never sure where CB gets his numbers and why he LOLs so much. He must just be joing all the time.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 12, 2013 2:10 p.m.

This would be a risky signing. One more concussion and his career could (and probably would) be over.

It would be crazy to offer any guaranteed money.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 2:37 p.m.

@PP,

I get my numbers from reality.

If you have different numbers I'd love to hear them.

If you think Bronco has 20 guys he's recruited and had drafted please correct me.

For that matter, just give me one!

LOL

• Ironhide Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Those who lack objectivity in their argument by choosing a small sampling, rather than an entire body of work are not only weak minded but terribly insecure in their defense, unwittingly admitting that there is only a portion of their argument that contains favorable relevance, the rest being undeniably convicting to the contrary.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 12, 2013 6:43 p.m.

I'd rather live in the present than whine about the past. BYU and Bronco will have 2 players drafted pretty high this year, while Utah will be lucky to have any at all. As stated the past and present just prove Bronco does a lot more with a lot less...translation: I'm glad we got Bronco instead of Whitt, but when he has more losing and underachieving we won't mind taking him back as the DC or linebackers coach.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 12, 2013 9:06 p.m.

@Chris

You lost us at Hello....
    4 years ago!

• Ironhide Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2013 2:57 a.m.

to clarify as to who's comments I was referring.....the original poster, ideally my post shows up right after his second comment.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 13, 2013 7:47 a.m.

Ah, Chris, why do we even bother? But I'll try again.

Higher recruited players going in to the program. More NFL players coming out. Yet Utah has been in steady decline since 2008.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    July 13, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Don't you guys know, it's more important to pretend that Nick Saban "tried" in 2008 and other BCS coaches measure how many kids make it to the NFL.

Unfortunately, BYU only has Super Bowl talent that has passed through the field-house.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 13, 2013 4:29 p.m.

ygrad,

Utah has yet to decline to WACish leveling point of byu. lol.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 14, 2013 6:56 a.m.

Ek,

Been a while since the Y's last losing season, last "home for the holidays."

Check your ticket again, my friend. Your there.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 14, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Ygrad,

"You're there." tells me that you agree as to byu's level.

So now I look at schedules and head to head results to get a better feel as to how the 2 teams compare....

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 14, 2013 3:34 p.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT
    Ygrad,

"You're there." tells me that you agree as to byu's level.

...tells me there's no real reading for comprehension there.

...there's a lot of things to look at, and get different results. Thus the original comment. Better recruits coming in. More NFL prospects coming out. Program in a steady, measurable decline.

Look at all the measurements you want. Some you win, some you lose. End of the day, the answer remains the same. Now we are about to embark upon another chapter. It may well end up the same as last year, we won't know till we get there.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 14, 2013 5:17 p.m.

ygrad,

Comprehension?
    Better recruits and more NFL prospects = A program on the decline? lol.
    That alone makes it obvious that Utah is far from on the decline.
    Again, I look at sos and head to head and see that nobody in happy valley has room to criticize Big Brother on the Hill. Comprende?

As for "embarking upon another chapter", I'm not worried.
    It's byu who needs to put up This Year or the future of they're program will be in question.

btw, if Utah was on the decline, what does it say for byu, who is Owned by the Utes? lol.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 15, 2013 10:06 p.m.

@ekutie

When Utah even comes close to achieving what BYU has then we will start talking declines... For 2013 all of the Preseason Books coming out and showing Power Rankings have BYU rated 3o places higher... Marc Lawrence, Libby, Phil Steele, etc...

I think that on haverage they have Utah anywhere rom 65 to 69 and BYU anywhere from #34 to #39... So tell us how are those big Rival Number Recruits working out for you? LOL.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 16, 2013 8:56 p.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT

Let me draw a stick figure picture you can understand.

Place a point on a graph for Utah 2008. Clearly a high water mark.

Place another point on a graph for Utah 2010. I seem to recall that Utah was ranked as high as 5, then ran into a buzz saw and limped out of the season. Somewhat lower on the graph.

Chart Utah 2011. First year in the PAC whatever. Winning season, trashed BYU, but lost to the worst college road team in college football at home. The beginning of Utah as enigma.

Finally, place a point for last year. First losing season, no bowl game, only bright spot a victory over your rival, and you still haven't played the big guns in your new conference.

Connect the dots.

That my friend, is a program in DECLINE.

For extra credit (you need it), true or false: a victory over your rival can make an otherwise disappointing, dismal season both satisfying and rewarding?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 16, 2013 8:59 p.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT
    ygrad,

"As for "embarking upon another chapter", I'm not worried."

U should be.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 17, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Now draw a level line at the bottom, below any point that refers to Utah...That's byu since LaVell left...With things as they are in happy valley, there's no hope that there will be an incline in that line in the foreseeable future.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 17, 2013 11:29 a.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT

The fact that you say it does not make it a fact. Or even a very defensible opinion. Last year, BYU had a winning season, was competitive in all but one of their losses, and played in a bowl game. And won! All that without an offense.

Utah had... A victory over BYU.

Fulfilling much? Give you that comfortable satisfied feeling?

I thought so.