BYU football: In independent era, Cougars playing games in an array of locations across the US

Comments

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 11, 2013 8:07 p.m.

I love that BYU is free to schedule these games in great venues and that ESPN is such a powerful partner. However, BYU needs to start winning and showing superiority on the scoreboard, or it starts to feel less about competition and more about exposure. I want exposure as much as the next person, but not at the expense of wins and success.

Hopefully BYU can have both this year (exposure and success) and it can be the launching pad to future success. I love a lot of things about independence, but I'm afraid being in a conference will always provide more security and better recruiting in the long run.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    July 11, 2013 9:30 p.m.

It is more challenging to be independent than in a conference, but it is really exciting to more often play teams and stadiums we've never played before.

I think for BYU to maintain a good schedule as an independent it will require a better level of play than BYU has had in the recent past (even though the record under Bronco is quite good). With the new playoff system most teams will be looking to play the best teams they can and BYU will need to consistently finish in the top 25 to schedule great teams.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 11, 2013 9:50 p.m.

Many wonder why we are ok with 2 for 1 scheduling with the 2 games on the road and 1 home game. I always knew why but this article answers that question for everyone else. Go Cougars!!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 7:54 a.m.

Mark,

The question has never been "is there any benefit from scheduling a 2 for 1"

The question is:

"If you are a football power as your fans claim, why not just schedule a 1 for 1?"

LOL

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 12, 2013 9:32 a.m.

The eighth in a series that puts a positive spin on byu's scheduling issues as an independent.

The 2 negatives that come to mind right away are:

1. Exposing the les season ticket holders to an equal number of quality games at home.

2. It was already mentioned in a previous article the extraordinary amount of time that bronco and holmoe spend on scheduling.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 9:36 a.m.

@ Chris B

"The question has never been "is there any benefit from scheduling a 2 for 1"

The question is:

Because as hard that it is for you to understand Chris there are more reasons BYU does what they do than just football. Football is important no question but BYU has other motives that's tied to the purpose of the church that seems to be difficult for you to understand. There is no reason to go over it again, the article is a sufficient source for that answer. BYU is a football power but a football power that wants to extend its outreach to its fans. ESPN and BYUtv is a part of that outreach but road games is the other big part.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 12, 2013 9:53 a.m.

mark,

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:18 a.m.

I am wondering if someone at the DesNews needs to go back to U.S. geography class. Apparently Boise, Pocatello, Austin and Houston have changed locations.

• Yosh Los Angeles, CA
    July 12, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Please give the graphic maker a lesson in US geography!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:21 a.m.

@Mark,

You're still now anwering the question.

"BYU has other motives tied to the purpose of the church"

Fine.

I ask again,

Why not just schedule a 1 for 1?

Can you not promote those motives with a 1 for 1?

ALL programs have motives including reaching fans.

And power programs do this through 1 and 1's.

Not power programs do 1 for 2.

Again I ask, Why do a 1 for 2?

You could still accomplish your "motives" with a 1 for 1 could you not?

LOL.

Spin, spin, spin.

I'll ask again, in hopes that repetition helps.

Why not schedule a 1 for 1 and push your "motives" that way?

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 12, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Chris b & ekute

As opposed to what?

Your argument and insinuation is that because BYU takes an occasional 2 for 1 with great programs like USC and a ND that BYU is somehow a lesser program than, with your incessant arguments, the u.

So you argument, through your insinuations and previous posts, is that the u is somehow better off by default just because your in the Pac12.

You're a cellar dweller, bottom team in a "power conference." So what? You have visions of grandeur that you are going to become an elite team in your conference. Like you deserve respect without accomplishing anything. But no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, they're still a pig.

Being giddy and pompous about being in the PAC 12 is like a fly hitching a ride on a Ferrari and claiming they can go 200mph. u are nothing to the Ferrari.

I have no delusions of BYU football. I know what their goals are and what they want to accomplish. I know exactly where they are and what they are.

And I am fine with that...

even if you're not.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Chris,

"Spin, spin, spin." is right. lol.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@StuFoo,

"As opposed to what"

a 1 for 1.

Was that not clear.

We recently schedule a 1 for 1 agreement with Michigan.

Just curiuos why you guys don't just schedule 1 for 1's with other power programs.

We do.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 11:01 a.m.

STuFOO - Wow, what a rant.

"You have visions of grandeur that you are going to become an elite team in your conference. Like you deserve respect without accomplishing anything."

You just summed up byu football and their fans. They have accomplished nothing yet talk about going to the Big-12 and even persist in talking about Pac-12. I would be frustrated if I were you, too. Starring at byu's 2014 schedule would not make me happy. But hey, Holmoe, the mastermind of the independence experiment says it's fantastic even if he doesn't like to talk about the dearth of bowl opportunities, having to play 2 for 1 and one offs. The selling of ponies and rainbows continues and byu fans are buying it. byu is rudderless and adrift in a sea of irrelevance...but as you say, no matter how much lipstick...

I don't see byu's situation changing appreciably in the long term. So, if it helps you to think that Utah will continue to be at the bottom third of their elite conference for all eternity, have at it. There isn't a Utah fan on the planet that would trade places with byu.

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    July 12, 2013 11:16 a.m.

@ Chris B - Your question is disingenuous. The 2 for 1 occurs because BYU has no conference affiliation and therefore has to schedule teams throughout the entire season on its own. This necessitates some trade-off in order to schedule games at times other than the first two or three weeks of the season (once conference play starts). I think you must know this but are bent on taking jabs at BYU in the face of reason.

If you need further input on the disadvantage of not being in a conference, you may want to check with Dr. Chris Hill who said of the Michigan series, "A home-and-home series with Michigan is the kind of opportunity that comes with membership in the Pac-12 Conference,"

That said, independence is the right path for BYU at this time and frankly, they’re doing a pretty good job of navigating it. Good for the Utes to be in the PAC12 and the advantages it provides. For both programs, it means little unless those opportunities are converted to wins.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 12, 2013 11:18 a.m.

BYU has had plenty of 1 for 1's with "power" programs over the years, far more than the one single time utah has been able to schedule one christina. There is a limited number of those programs BYU will go 2-1 with and interestingly many of those progrmas have come on board over the last couple of years. I'm sure it is simple strategy for BYU as they establish independence and as time goes on those will become 1-1 or 1-1-1 types.

As for utah, well outside of conference games, which are forced 1-1, what is the next "power" team utah is getting a 1 for 1 with? I haven't even heard rumors of any real quality program even considering a single game with utah let alone a 1 for 1.

So christina, and ekute, who are these non conference "power" programs that are lined up to give utah 1 for 1? For that matter who are these "power" programs that are even considering offering utah a 1 and done?

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 12, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Chris B

1 for 1 still isn't enough lipstick to make being a cellar dweller worth it.

"Being" in a power conference means nothing. That's your spin. I travel throughout the world and the U.S. and college football is an easy topic to get conversations started at airports, dinner parties, down time, network meetings, etc. You know what people think about the u?

Mostly NOTHING.

At most people outside of the PAC 12 say, "oh, didn't they have a good year a few years ago?"

That is except when it comes to PAC12 team fans, who almost always, always have a negative reaction. They look at at you as a snot nosed kid who can't understand why you are so high on yourself. After all, all you did was go to a BCS game, something members of that conference did EVERY year since the BCS was created. And you got there by beating lesser schools.

They wonder why you think you can talk trash by virtue of being invited, like that means anything. You have earned no respect, and yet u fans are still talking.

I have no delusion of where BYU is, unlike u and your team.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 11:28 a.m.

@ Chris B

You always have an answer for everything do you Chris. Well, there is no reason to explain further. My answer before suffices but clearly it went way over your head.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 12, 2013 11:34 a.m.

MyPerspective

"You just summed up byu football and their fans. They have accomplished nothing yet talk about going to the Big-12 and even persist in talking about Pac-12."

2 different arguments that u fans want to argue at the same time. Which cannot be done.

First, BYU is ALREADY a legacy program. LISTEN to announcers and national media when they talk about BYU. They ALREADY talk with respect about BYU and what they have accomplished. just because u fans can't doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Second, I have no illusions about where BYU football is. I have NEVER expressed my interest in joining the Big 12, or want to join the PAc 12. I just want to see games on TV.

"I don't see byu's situation changing appreciably in the long term. So, if it helps you to think that Utah will continue to be at the bottom third of their elite conference for all eternity, have at it."

You accuse me of an argument in the first sentence that you make for yourself in the second. So utah can change and BYU can't?

This is why arguing with u fans is so fun.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 12, 2013 11:41 a.m.

duck,

"outside of conference games" are the key words in your comment. think about it.

Go Utes.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 11:58 a.m.

STuFOO...
    Around and around we go...

The BCS era has come and almost gone and byu has accomplished NOTHING. In fact, they haven't accomplished anything for nearly 30 years. But, keep believing.

byu fans are OBSESSED over conference standings and getting to the big time. These boards are full of those comments from byu fans so don't even attempt to separate yourself from it.

What is byu going to change? This is it, sport. You're looking at it.

Do you like the 2014 schedule? (2013 isn't all that great either - conference bottom dwellers)
    Do you like not having bowls that will take byu
    Do you enjoy 2 for 1 and 1 off deals (appears you might be in Korea so maybe you really don't care)
    Do you honestly think there is "respect" like ND and Michigan command when teams can get Holmoe to do what they want? Really?
    Do you relish the thought that Boise St gave up ESPN and went back to a conference?

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 12:00 p.m.

@ Chris B

"I'll ask again, in hopes that repetition helps"

Fine Chris, I will answer one more time your silly follow up questions which are repetitive in nature anyways.

"Are you suggesting somehow BYU has the option of doing 1 for 1, but instead prefers 1 for 2 to promote the other motives you claim?"

I don't know Chris. We don't know what happens behind closed doors, but it does make sense considering what BYU wants to accomplish for doing a 2 for 1.

"Can you not promote those motives with a 1 for 1?"

A little, but why give road fans one game when you can give them 2?

"And power programs do this through 1 and 1's.

Not power programs do 1 for 2.

Again I ask, Why do a 1 for 2?"

How many Alabama fans are there along the Pacific coast? (crickets) a few. How many Alabama fans are there in the Michigan or the Northeast? (crickets) again a few. BYU is unique because 99% of BYU fans are Mormon. Not all Mormons are BYU fans, but almost all BYU fans are. And Mormons are all over. (See next comment for more)

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:03 p.m.

@Mark,

No, you jumped around the issue without ANSWERING it.

I asked why do a 1 for 2.

You said byu has other motives to accomplish.

I ask what motive can't be accomplished with a 1 for 1?

I repeat:

ALL programs have "motives"

And power programs can get 1 for 1's with other power programs.

I would like to have a rational discussion.

I still await an ANSWER.

Can you do that?

Why not pursue your "motives" while getting 1 for 1's ?

LOL

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 12:13 p.m.

@ Chris B

(continuing)

BYU have fans all over. Power teams like Alabama football just want to win football games and have kid's graduate, there is no other purpose for there existence, so they want to schedule a 1 for 1. Alabama knows that they hardly will have fans at a USC or a Nebraska game so why go back twice? BYU has fans everywhere and they want to reach out to them, what is wrong with that?

"You could still accomplish your "motives" with a 1 for 1 could you not?"

Already answered that question when you asked, "Can you not promote those motives with a 1 for 1?"

Chris your follow up questions are really a re-direction that circles back to the question you originally asked. You may not like these answers but they are answers directly from your question. Who is BYU owned by, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. When has the LDS not done something different from the world? So of course BYU is going to do things differently from the college football world. Hate them or love them for that is up to you. I love them for that.

• Porter-Rockwell Cedar Hills, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Reality check for Utes and Cougar fans. Cougar fan for 45 years, been goin' to games for 40. The banter and attempt between the two fan bases here is annoying and nauseating. As a Cougar fan without the blinders on...BYU in recent past has not done much on the field. I hate leaving home in UT Co. and coming to work in SLC 13 out of the past 20 years. Cougar fans, we have been dominated in the last 20. In addition, no ESPN contract or a few big name teams will match what the Utes have done to us, win 2 BCS bowls and many bowl other games. Until we beat the Utes AND win big games, we best keep our "superior" traps shut. We do have nice a history of awards, but a remote trophy case does us little with one exception...we are recognized as a decent fan base and ESPN TV ratings are decent. This is why ESPN is working with us. Rabid Ute fans, you need not be so smug and condescending. I concede current superiority on the field, but please do honor our history as well. Respect both schools!

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 12, 2013 12:19 p.m.

MyPerspective

"They (BYU) haven't accomplished anything for nearly 30 years"

So top 25 finishes, 10 win seasons, bowl wins, winning seasons, don't mean anything? Only BCS wins? Only u fans make this argument.

"byu fans are OBSESSED over conference standings and getting to the big time."

Interesting that you speak for all BYU fans, on a BYU comment board of all places. There are a massive amount of BYU fans that are happy with independence. u'll see what you want to see.

"What is byu going to change?"

Exactly how many "special" seasons did it take for utah to get to where they are at? a lot can happen in two season, especially in college football. So what you are saying is that utah can change, but BYU can't? That a special season can't happen to BYU? Interesting argument on a BYU board.

The other questions are meaningless. I am a fan of BYU football. Why would I nash my teeth and complain about something I have no control over. I watch the games they give me and cheer for my team, because that is what a fan does.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 12, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Chris b
    "I would like to have a rational discussion."

Right.

then answer this question...

I have no problem with 2 for 1, not in the slightest. My team is still playing, they are on TV where I can see them...

and they are not at the bottom of a conference that does not respect them.

No matter the success the u has I would rather follow and root for BYU or my other alma maters.

And I certainly don't go looking for arguments to bolster my team on rival comment boards.

• Porter-Rockwell Cedar Hills, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Furthermore, if and I say if, there was an invite that included more tolerance and religious respect from the PC-12, I would jump on it faster than fly on you know what. I do like being able to play a lot of different teams around the nation, but believe me, I am glad I am a bowhunter out on the Wasatch front in November. I could care less about almost all of our previous and upcoming November games at home. If I am going to freeze my butt of in LES, I am not going to do it at 8:30 pm watching Idaho State. If it is USC, Utah or Notre Dame, I will be there in a heartbeat, I also know it will probably be played in the afternoon on something besides ESPNU. Independence is better in most ways other than the MWC, but to be honest if we could get into the PAC it would be so much better for us than the BIG 12. And we blew it there by playing too many cards without enough hands to hold them. As much as I hate to admit it, Utah does have it better.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 12, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Myprospective

"Maybe you really don't care but these boards are full of byu fans who say otherwise."

This is the most interesting thing you said. It implies...

1. You believe that you need to come to BYU boards to tell BYU fans that they are wrong.
    2. You have a need to argue that the u is better, to people who are commenting on thier teams comment boards. This implies that on some level, you are not sure the u is better. I don't have to go looking for arguments on u articles, because I don't care.

Of course the BYU boards are full of BYU fans commenting on THEIR team.

What's funny is that I see more u fans commenting on BYU's conference affiliation then I do BYU fans. There are BYU fans who defend BYU on Comment boards, but go back and look, in nearly every case, who starts conversations about BYU and conference affiliation.

Don't claim that BYU fans, who are defending their team, say things that they don't. More than half the "we have a NC and you don't" comes in defending attacks from u trolls.

• Porter-Rockwell Cedar Hills, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:35 p.m.

And finally last comment and then my rant is through. For nearly 35 of my 45 years of life I have hated and spoken out against the U of U. I was part of the nauseating dialogue similar to what I see on here. However, my feelings and attitude have changed. I am doing all I can to want to U to do better because it brings greater recognition to my home State. I hope the Aggies continue to improve. To have three in State teams do well would be like Florida, Florida State and Miami all do well like they almost always do. Great teams, different conferences that almost always play each other every year. BYU, USU and Utah will never be those three schools, but wouldn't it be great if we could build our three teams like that. I now cheer for both my rivals and hope they do very well. I wish some of the Ute commenters would leave their arrogance and superiority checked at the keyboard. It is hard, but I did it, hope you can do the same and you know who you are. Same goes for all Cougar "elitists" as well.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Mark,

"why give road fans one game when you can give them 2?"

LOL

Why not a 3 for 1 then? 4 for 1? 0 for 1?

LOL

Spin, spin, spin,

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:58 p.m.

stufoo,

"Why do you care what BYU, a team you despise and claim to have moved on from, has a 2 for 1 or a 1 for 1?"

I don't "care" per say.

I just wanted to remind byu fans you aren't a power program.

That's all

LOL!

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 1:09 p.m.

@ Chris B

"why give road fans one game when you can give them 2?"

LOL

Why not a 3 for 1 then? 4 for 1? 0 for 1?

LOL

Spin, spin, spin,"

Interpretation from Chris: You have answered the questions I've asked, now I'm going to mock you for being for all things BYU.

Your comment just showed your true colors Chris. Not that we haven't seen it before, we have seen it many times with your history on these boards. You don't want answers to your questions, you just want to mock.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:41 p.m.

@ekute

Exactly. Outside of pac12 teams, of which only a couple can even remotely be considered "power" programs, that have to schedule utah because of the conference association, please name 1, just 1, "power program" that is even considering scheduling utah at all, let alone a 1 and 1?

You cannot, none are, none care, none consider utah worthy of even giving them a game let alone visiting the crackerbox in a return trip. There is no one out there, no one cares. utah got michigan under the facade of the big10/pac12 collaboration that died almost as quickly as it was announced when the big10 realized it offered them nothing. mich scheduled utah thinking it was getting a jump on that collaboration and rather than having to play usc, stanford, or oregon, they locked down a pac12 bottom dweller, a truly poor program, as a preemptive measure. Now they are stuck with them although the prospect of 2 easy wins has probably kept the series alive.

Congratulations?

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:50 p.m.

I've got to side with Chris B on this issue. I'd rather be in the bottom of the PAC 12 and playing the same quality teams year in and year out than to be an independent and scheduling with different quality teams from all over the country. What good comes from all that travel and exposure anyway? Being in the PAC 12 is way more valuable to the fans than all that moving around.

Go Utes!!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:55 p.m.

When the Y schedules a great team in a 2 for 1 we get the benefit of playing that team 3 times over a period of a few years. It creates an intriguing rivalry that gains national attention rather than just keeping it in a single conference. 1 for 1's are fine. But the bonus game is always intense. I'd rather have more 2 for 1's than schedule with the weakling of the PAC-12.

Chris and his cronies are only wishing their school could have it so good.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2013 2:56 p.m.

@ duckhunter

Utah does not have to schedule "power" programs for non-conference games. Utah's marquee games happen in conference play. Plus Utah has only three games to schedule, so there is no need to find teams to play 8-10 years in advance. The Michigan series is going to be great. Games past 2015 haven't been scheduled yet. And it.s not because nobody is lining up to play Utah, it's because teams in Utah's position simply do not need to map out schedules the way BYU does.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 4:32 p.m.

@ ekute

"If that were true than why doesn't byu just schedule all of their games on the road?"

What good is it to have a 64,000 capacity stadium when all your games are going to be on the road? Why build these nice facilities that BYU has when all of it was just a waste? So of course there going to have home games. As nice as it is for BYU to travel to bring BYU football to its fans, there are fans in Provo and in the state of Utah that want to see them too. Right?

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 4:48 p.m.

@ Chris B

"I just wanted to remind byu fans you aren't a power program."

This coming from a fan for a team that had a 5-7 record last year. We are not convinced Chris so no need to waste your energy to remind us.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 12, 2013 5:07 p.m.

@ Myperspective

I love 2014's schedule. While there is one more game yet to be announced (could be a really good neutral site game through ESPN) and the UCF game hasn't been assigned a date it is a pretty solid one. Texas and Boise State are the headliners, both away from Provo. UConn, UCF and Middle Tennesee State are all solid bowl eligible programs.

What I really love about 2014 is all the home schedule. Virginia, Houston, USU, So. Mississippi, Nevada and UNLV are coming to town. UNLV is the only team on that list that I would find boring. The other programs have had solid records.

2014 is a much softer year than 2013. However, the schedule is much better than the last two years. Its better than most of the past twenty years. I love playing new people.

• I-Bleed-Blue Charlottesville, VA
    July 12, 2013 6:30 p.m.

A great way to share the LDS beliefs isn't just to play in different parts of the country, but to WIN in different parts of the country...a lot!

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    July 12, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Just Wondering...why the Utes wouldn't consider more 2 for 1's with good teams out of conference? They haven't had much luck getting marque teams to come to RES? Looking at the home scheudles since 2000, there have only been three"big time" programs that have visited the hill: Oregon (2003), Texas A&M (2004) and Pittsburgh (2010). That's three...in 14 seasons? In the same time frame, they had two "one and done's" with Michgan (2002 and 2008).

I know, I know..."but USC has to come every other year and Oregon and Stanford every four years for a home and home." Yes, they "have" to come. Do you really think that any of those programs would be knocking on your door if they could choose? They would not.

Yes, the Utes have Michigan in 2015 and it was a home and home. That's great. But who else wants to come and play u in SLC? Here are the other OOC home games on Utah's schedule: Idaho State, Fresno State, Utah State, Southern Utah, North Dakotah and BYU. Once again, maybe the Utes should explore some more 2 for 1 opportunities to get some non pac10 teams into RES?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 12, 2013 7:33 p.m.

@2fer

You missed the point, purposely. Fail.

• Trouble Vancouver, WA
    July 13, 2013 8:25 a.m.

The benefit of the 2 for 1 deals that fans have been discussing is this: 2 of the three games are home and home; that's an equal exchange. The third game is an away game that, in the series with USC, for example, benefits BYU in that it strengthens their November schedule AND provides a high profile opponent. USC benefits, of course, from the extra home game and the extra ticket sales to BYU fans in SoCal. USC is using its program strength to get a 2 for 1, but BYU is trading the extra away game for the opportunity to schedule two games in November.

Given BYU's unique mission and challenges for the football program, this is a good arrangement.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 13, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Hadley's stache in that picture is sweet.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2013 1:03 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

You asked for an explanation for why there are no power teams trying to schedule a series with Utah. I gave it to you. Were you looking for something different?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2013 1:20 p.m.

@ Steven Jarvis

Virginia was 4-8 last season, Houston was 5-7, UNLV is always terrible, and So. Miss went 0-12 last season. Also I wouldn't really call UCONN a bowl eligible program since they have missed a bowl in each of the past two seasons.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 13, 2013 5:57 p.m.

ducky/stoofoo

Just answer this: Why is it that Utah can schedule a 1 for 1 series with a storied program like Michigan, but BYU has to schedule a 2 for 1 with teams like USC and 1 for none with Michigan, with BYU being on the short end of the stick?

This totally undermines your claim that BYU is some kind of national, prestigious program.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 13, 2013 6:45 p.m.

On one hand they're a national power with a national brand, On the other hand they have to settle for 2 for 1's for exposure. When was the last time ND or any member of a major conference agreed to a 2 for 1 with anybody. lol.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 13, 2013 9:54 p.m.

@ekute

You see Mr. ekute... Cougar Nation understands that they are just like ND...

Well... except that ND could join any conference in the nation with a phone call... and no relevant conference in the country really wants BYU...

Well... and that ND could schedule a 1and 1 with any team in the country... and BYU has to settle for 2 for 1s.

Well... and also that ND has a scheduling agreement (and could have a scheduling agreement) with any power conference in the country... and BYU doesn't.

Well... and I guess ND has access to the highest tier bowls in the country... and BYU doesn't.

Well... And ND doesn't need ESPN to help them schedule games... but BYU does.

So you see... BYU is just like ND... well... almost.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 15, 2013 10:35 a.m.

@Howie

No BYU fan equates BYU to Notre Dame.
    So you can put that "Strawman" to bed.

However, BYU is much closer to Notre Dame than Utah will ever be to BYU.

Things BYU has in common with Notre Dame, which don't existent at Utah.

-Unanimous National Championship
    -Heisman Trophy
    -Outland Trophies
    -Maxwell Trophy
    -Sammy Baugh Trophies
    -Super Bowl & NFL MVP's
    -College Hall of Famers
    -An Exclusive television contract with a "Major Network"

Get it?
    Got it?
    Good!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 15, 2013 11:36 p.m.

@Bluto

ND = bcs
    Utah = bcs
    BYU = mid-major

Got it?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 16, 2013 7:56 a.m.

Memo to Howie...

The BCS is "Obsolete".
    However, the aforementioned hardware is forever, it's what defines every Legacy Program with a National Brand..
    BYU's Football program has achieved College Football's highest honors.
    Utah has not.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 16, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Bluto is sitting there polishing his 30 year old trophies and thinking...

Utah is in a Major Conference...

And byu is not...

Utah's Seniors have never lost to byu...

And byu's seniors have never beaten Utah...

Utah could have a good season and go to a Major Bowl...

And byu could have a good season but will never go to a Major Bowl..

Utah could have a losing season but they will still be in the Pac12...

byu could have a losing season and the wheels wheel start to wobble on the program...

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 17, 2013 7:07 a.m.

@Bluto

BYUs legacy is about the past...

The BCS is about the is the present... and the college football championship (controlled by the five power conferences) is about the future...

And BYU has no place in either the present or the future of college football.