Utah Jazz: The Stifle Tower? French center Rudy Gobert making a big first impression

Comments

• scalman Temecula, CA
    July 9, 2013 10:42 p.m.

It's early, but this is a very encouraging article. I think it's going to be fun watching big Rudy develop. I don't like the "Stifle Tower" nickname, though. Let's see what his teammates come up with.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 9, 2013 11:01 p.m.

it would be fun to just chant rudy...rudy...like that guy from the fighting irish....

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    July 10, 2013 5:55 a.m.

Can't wait to see what Karl does with him. Once he bulks up, he could be a "monster of the midway".

• jazzfanincali Corona, CA
    July 10, 2013 7:15 a.m.

I watched some of the summer league action and he looks solid. The guy really moves well for a 7'1 guy, there were times he was chasing and trapping guards out on the perimeter. He also, has pretty good timing when it comes to blocking shots. At 27 this was a great draft pick for the Jazz. I could see him getting playing time this year.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 10, 2013 7:36 a.m.

I feel sorry for the guy... I remember another giant in a Jazz uniform that was a shot blocking and altering nightmare for the opposition. His name was Mark Eaton and he got no respect from many of the fans because his wasn't a scoring threat. For me, blocking and altering shoots are a great asset to the teams defensive strategy. But I'm afraid that many will criticize him for a lack of scoring.

Bring in Mark Easton to help train him. I still miss the big guy.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    July 10, 2013 7:46 a.m.

As much as fans complained about Eaton talk to the players. He was a major roadblock for their shot. Half of the game is getting the opposition not to score and getting the ball back. And thos few easy baskets they get are icing on the cake.I think Rudy will be a regular rotation player. Gobert, Kanter, Favors 32 minutes each per game.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    July 10, 2013 7:49 a.m.

I passed Mark Eaton in the airport on Monday. Man that dude is huge!!

The big difference is the Rudy can move his feet. I watched game 1 in summer league and he is very mobile.

It is interesting how everyone starts with "...as soon as he bulks up..." talk.

How much did they bulk up Kevin Garnett? Kevin Durrant? How much did they need to bulk up?

You start packing a bunch of weight on this kid and he will likely lose mobility and speed not to mention the pounding the feet, ankles, and knees have to take. Ask Yao Ming about that.

Maybe add a few pounds and just get him stronger and he would be just fine. Once he assimilates to the NBA game I think Gobert is going to be very valuable. Nobody will be scoring in the paint when he and Favors are on the floor at the same time.

That could be fun to watch somebody try though!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 10, 2013 9:13 a.m.

I hope I never hear or read "Stifle Tower" in association with Rudy Gobert ever again. That would be a terrible nickname.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    July 10, 2013 9:43 a.m.

I wonder how my Lakers can steal this guy......?

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    July 10, 2013 10:05 a.m.

"The once he bulks up talk" - yeah this guy isn't going to put on much weight. He's a mobile big man that blocks shots, not a bruiser. Favors and Kanter can play those rolls. I like the match ups the Jazz can have with the four young big guys. Favors and Kanter can pound. Evans and Gobert can swipe.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 10, 2013 10:16 a.m.

Ah yes, another "great white hope" for the Jazz. I remember a nearly identical article written in this paper many years ago about Greg Ostertag.

With a wingspan like that, combined with an inability to move his feet on defense because the Jazz don't coach defense, means he should pick up a lot of fouls against slasher guards who like to get into the paint. In fact, I heard that on the way to the podium on draft day he fouled Tony Parker twice.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH West Valley, UT
    July 10, 2013 11:15 a.m.

TO:Brave Sir Robin
    Are you sure it wasn't Parker just throwing himself into someone and flopping.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    July 10, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Little Andy

If Favors, Kanter, and Gobert play 32 minutes a game the jazz will finish last in the league in wins. Is that a goal that you are after?

• eagle Provo, UT
    July 10, 2013 12:07 p.m.

I hate to see Mark Eaton disrespected in any way. He was a great defensive player, won Defensive Player of the Year and was on several All-Defensive teams. Just ask Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson what they thought of Mark Eaton. They gave him more respect than most of the Jazz fans. This kid won't be a Mark Eaton. If he's a poor man's Mark Eaton, I would be happy. Mark Eaton never missed more than three games in his first 10 seasons. In one season he nearly scored 10 points a game, actually shot 64.9% from the line for his career and one season averaged 5.6 blocks per game and shot 71.2% from the field. I tire of Jazz fans past and present who have no ability to assess talent. I've heard many people say that Canter, Gobert and even Favors are or will be better players than Mark Eaton. When all of them can block, rebound, and even score like Eaton then I'll eat my words. And Eaton's best season was his third season by the way, he didn't take "years" to develop.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    July 10, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Nice article overall, but take that "Stifle Tower" nickname and send it packing. Wow, that one smells like bad cheese.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    July 10, 2013 12:35 p.m.

@Bramabull, wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. By the way they probably would have finished last in wins last year if if wasn't for the young guys coming in a bailing out the starters.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    July 10, 2013 12:50 p.m.

shaybo

I highly doubt that Favors and Kanter closing out games vs. Millsap and Jefferson would have resulted in more wins. They were lucky to win as many as they did. Reason being is they had no offense other than Big Al and Millsap.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Brahmabull,

ever heard "Defense wins championships?" If Al could play defense, his +- wouldn't have dragged the team down so much.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Personally, I like the "Stifle Tower" nickname. It is better than "the Mailman," but that worked out OK for Karl.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    July 10, 2013 3:15 p.m.

@ Brahmabull You do not understand how small market NBA teams develop. Big Al got this team as far as he could. Let it go.

@ Brave Sir Robin You clearly have not watched any of the summer games. Gobert moves very well and especially hedging on picks. That's a place where a lot of bigs get in trouble, but he has shown that overall defense, not just being tall, will be his biggest strength.

One thing I do worry about, though, is his 1-on-1 defense in the post. Few guys in the summer league have legit post moves.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    July 10, 2013 3:42 p.m.

One thing I do worry about, though, is his 1-on-1 defense in the post--just because we have not seen it yet. Few guys in the summer league have legit post moves.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 10, 2013 4:38 p.m.

@bravesirrobin

Clearly you have never seen Rudy Gobert play. To compare Gobert and Ostertag to each other is ridiculous. This kid moves his feet well and if you watched any of the summer league games or his highlight films on youtube you would know better. please refrain from commenting if you don't know what you are talking about.

P.S. Rudy Gobert isn't white either. I cant figure out why you would refer to him as "another great white hope"

• COOL HAND LUKE Watching, UT
    July 10, 2013 4:39 p.m.

I dont know if you guys watched todays game, but Raul 'Raulzinho' Neto is the real deal. I know it's a summer league game, but he showed some incredible posture, didn't loose his handles, kept his dribble alive, and seemed to have eyes in the back of his head. Let's hope we can get him here this season. Develop him with the bigs…...It was painfully obvious that he was more mature and calm under pressure than Trey….develop them together. PG spot just got more interesting for JazzNation….

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 10, 2013 5:07 p.m.

@COOL HAND LUKE

I will agree with you on Raul Neto...and to be honest...If trey burke opted to go to a bigger market...im sure Raul is more than capable of producing...

@Brahmabull

let's be honest...even if you add other players...Big Al and Paul Millsap will never bring us a championship...plus its not just Big Al and Paul Millsap...Mo Williams is a Shoot first PG...so that's three players looking to score...with those 3...even if you add igoudala...or deng...we'll just be a so-so team...never a title contender...im not saying that Hayward Favors and Kanter would take us there...but...we dont even know their ceiling yet...let's say you add Pekovic...how would you develop Kanter and Favors? D-League? the competition there is not the same as in the NBA...would it make us title contenders...if we have Pekovic Big Al Igoudala Foye and Mo williams? No...we'll just be a one and done in the playoffs...and there isnt much room to grow if you have that line up...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 10, 2013 5:15 p.m.

@nhatch82 and @Bravesirrobin

I have watched rudy gobert play...and i hated greg ostertag...but the difference between them is...lack of Passion...Karl almost always calls out ostertag for being out of shape...another difference is...Gobert is very thin and is easily boxed out..and i thought he got 7 rebounds just because of that wingspan...if we were up against bigs like Asik...Love...Pekovic...Gobert would get trampled...he wouldnt be able to get position to box out and rebound...which i think should be his main priority...to slowly bulk up...make sure that his weight won't put pressure to his knees and feet...strength conditioning...to help him box out....on the offensive side...because he easily gets pushed...he should not spin towards the baseline...he should stay away from it..he could go there once he is strong enough...but right now...NO...he should always go in front of the rim...and hit a semi-hook...Gobert is a project...and they say he has good work ethic...so time will tell..but the potential is there just because of the sheer length he covers

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 10, 2013 10:37 p.m.

@Kakshi

I agree with you I am not claiming that he will be a hall of fame center. he will never be that, but him just breathing makes him a better player than Ostertag. I was simply pointing out that Sir Robin obviously has never even seen a picture of rudy gobert due to his comment about him being the next big white hope and comparing him to ostertag. Rudy gobert has teh potential to be a very good backup center that can make a huge difference and alter alot of shots. I dont think he will ever be much of an offensive threat but he will be a great fit for the jazz and will play a pivotal role.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 12, 2013 12:00 a.m.

@nhatch82

i agree with you...he will be a good solid backup....but he really needs to get better at boxing out and geting into rebounding position...he is easily a push over right now...but i can see his potential no doubt about that...and yes...everyone is better than greg ostertag..right now...

• eagle Provo, UT
    July 13, 2013 1:59 p.m.

To Jazz Fans that hate Greg Ostertag:

I know 'Tag is an easy target to hate and he was frustrating. But...

Greg Ostertag's best season with the Jazz (1996-97) was when he averaged 7.3 points per game, 7.3 rebounds per game and blocked just over two shots per game. He also shot 51.5 % from the field. I'll be curious to see if again if Gobert can do this well. Favors has scored better than Ostertag the past two seasons but his blocks and rebounds hasn't matched Ostertag's best season, which was Ostertag's second season. There is hope for Favors I do believe but his time needs to start now. Check out their stats, for their first three seasons, the players are awfully similar but since Favors looks more athletic or whatever, he seems to get a pass.