Phil Steele talks BYU, Utah, Utah State football on 1280 The Zone (+audio)

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 9, 2013 5:06 p.m.

• ???? Murray, UT
    July 9, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Look at Lloyd Cole doing work. Hardest working producer in the business.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 5:23 p.m.

I guarantee we beat byu and go bowling.

Mark my words.

We win at least 7 or 8, beat byu, usu, and go bowling

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 9, 2013 5:24 p.m.

CFIT,

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 5:30 p.m.

I repeat that promise this year

Utah 30
    Byu 14

Mark it down!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 5:49 p.m.

"For all the Utes claiming my 8 or 9 win projection for the Cougs was a pipe dream, it seems I have some good company."
    Pipe dream? Phil Steele has BYU with the 49th toughest schedule in the nation, so it would absolutely shocking if BYU didn't get 8 wins. The schedule is (and will be) crafted to get 8 wins.

At media day, they basically laid out BYU's formula for the future. They won't be playing for conference or national titles, so give the fans something to feel good about -- 2 or 3 games against marquee schools, and enough padding to easily be eligible for their December bowl game. Given the challenges of being a mid-major independent, its a solid formula for fan satisfaction.

• Abeille West Haven, Utah
    July 9, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Utah 7
    BYU 30

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    July 9, 2013 5:53 p.m.

Chris B

I repeat that promise this year"

That includes all of your other monikers and pseudo-names that you use to post. You are on your honor.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 9, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Chris B,

Promises, promises...

When we beat you, I won't hold my breath...

Too much of your.... whatever, is tied up in telling BYU fans what you think of them.

Personally, I think you just create another handle and continue.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    July 9, 2013 6:25 p.m.

ChrisB

"People forget we have a national championship coach as an ASSISTANT and the last coach to beat Alabama in a bowl as head coach"

U forget that both Whittingham(7-11) and Erickson(45-46-1) have LOSING PAC 10/12 conference records.

Winning PAC 10/12 seasons
    Kyle is 0 for 2
    Dennis is 3 for 11

The chances of Utah being able to improve on last season's 3-6 conference record while adding Oregon and Stanford are slim and none. Factor in no better than a split with BYU and Utah State, and the Utes have NO CHANCE of playing in a bowl this year.

Your point spread for the BYU-Utah game is about right; unfortunately for U, the actual score will be:

BYU 31
    Utah 14

Mark it down!

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 9, 2013 6:33 p.m.

SoonerUte

"At media day, they basically laid out BYU's formula for the future. They won't be playing for conference or national titles,..."

Ironically, Utah won't be playing for conference and national titles either. Of course, that's not shocking news for a team that only won 6 WAC/MWC titles in 50 years and has never won a national title.

One thing that is changing up on the hill, though. The Utes are breaking out their whiny excuses for losing earlier and earlier every season. SOS is calculated into the rankings, so your lack of success on that front can't be blamed entirely on SOS. Losing to better teams doesn't prove anything.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Hey Chris B,

Don't be too stunned if U drop games to both the A and the Y this year. Remember, a huge chunk of the Ute defense is gone, and the offense is a question mark at best.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 9, 2013 7:20 p.m.

I bought his book for the first time last year and followed his picks. He's pretty out there at times, but he's the best predictor of football in the last decade plus. I always check his picks each week. His assessment of these teams seems pretty on. BYU WILL make an immediate impact on offense. This will be a much better team last year, and that was a team who was just a few bad plays from a 10-win season.

Utah will beat usu this year. USU will be worse but utah won't lose at home. I expect both schools to beat usu, with usu getting 6-7 wins. Even last year they weren't dominate against UNLV, and that game was at home. UNLV even led in the second quarter and was only down 7 in the fourth quarter. If the worst team in the MWC can play them that well, just think what AFA, SDSU, and improved Wyoming will do to them? Losing GA is a big deal, and no one seems to understand that.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 8:12 p.m.

talkinsports agreed with my post, then added "Ironically, Utah won't be playing for conference and national titles either."
    Yes, this year's 12 toughest schedule means Utah won't be playing for a conference title either. The chance to get into the conference title game their first year was somewhat of a fluke. They key for Utah is to keep adding depth with improved recruiting. When their chance comes again, they'll be better prepared.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 9, 2013 8:14 p.m.

@ Chris B - "I have stated the past 3 years that if byu beat Utah I wouldn't post on byu articles all year long" U also said this when Jimmer played a Top 5 San Diego St team, and beat them. You stopped posting for about a week, not the rest of the year.

@ SoonerUte - Most experts have BYU's SOS in the 20's and the Utes in the teens. It's hard to know until the season gets going, but there is no doubt that BYU's schedule in 2013 is more difficult than Utah's was in 2012. And we will go bowling and U did not.

Okay, I get the jabs at the bottom half of the schedule the last two years, but with a schedule that includes Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Texas, Boise State, Utah and Utah State how can U in good conscience say it's crafted for 8 easy wins? Virginia, Houston and Georgia Tech are no slouches either, all of whom are better than Washington State or Colorado. In fact, GT proved they are better than USC.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    July 9, 2013 9:42 p.m.

The U vs USU game will definitely be tough. Thumping the y in Cache Valley, not so much.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 9, 2013 9:58 p.m.

Hmmm...Im trying to decide if I should mark Phil Steele's words, or Chris B's. Thats a tough one...

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 10:03 p.m.

"how can U in good conscience say it's crafted for 8 easy wins?" -- CougFaninTX
    Don't flop. In your first post, you praise Phil Steele because he agrees with you that BYU could get 8 or 9 wins. Then you distance yourself from Phil Steele because he ranks BYU's "toughest schedule ever" as only 49th in the nation.

"Virginia, Houston and Georgia Tech are no slouches".
    Don't sell those teams short, CougFaninTX. Those teams are tremendous slouches.

Sorry. Caddyshack. Couldn't resist.

But seriously, Virginia was worst in the ACC, Houston was a 5 win mid-major, and Georgia Tech had to lobby for a bowl at 6-7. Easy wins? I didn't say that. But BYU fans should expect victory in those games.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 9, 2013 10:29 p.m.

SoonerUte:
    "Are you sure you really want to say "GT proved they are better than USC"? Because if you do, then you have to agree that Utah was better than BYU in 2012..."

Sorry CougTX, I saw that one coming and didn't tell you to duck! My bad lol.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    July 9, 2013 10:33 p.m.

"That was me.... and 9 wins is still a pipe dream. Your boys only had 7 regular season wins on a much, much easier schedule in 2012."

2 words why BYU could very possibly win more games this year than last year: Riley Nelson.

I repeat that promise this year"

As CougFaniinTX already pointed out, Chris B made the exact same promise about BYU basketball beating SDSU. BYU did beat SDSU, and Chris B was posting shortly after anyway.

So are you admitting that BYU was better than Utah last year? I agree with you that USC was better than GT.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    July 9, 2013 11:07 p.m.

Good to see an objective view outside the yackty yacks that go back and forth on these posts. I can hardly wait until the actual games happen so we can see what these three teams can do.

I think with the schedules that BYU and Utah have it will play out who are contenders and who are pretenders. USU will also have their chance to show their stuff by playing their instate rivals.

In the end the records will show who was worthy of praise and who stays home from bowl games.

The only constant is the haters will keep on hating and finding the smallest thing to bicker about.

Sit back and enjoy the games instead of making ridiculous predictions and promises that will never be kept.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 10, 2013 1:00 a.m.

@ CFIT "GT proved they are better than USC"

So you are finally admitting Utah has been better than BYU for the past 3 years?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 10, 2013 8:27 a.m.

I think Phil and the rest of the media is allways selling us short. We could be undefeated and the first independent team to play for a BCS and national title. this year.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 10, 2013 8:37 a.m.

I nominate mindgames' most recent post to serve as the introduction to all comment threads on any article pertaining to Utah or BYU football. It is by far (without competition) the most rational post on this particular thread and serves as a template for raising the level of discourse. Following those guidelines would spare us all from the "my dad can beat up your dad" type posturings (unless the commentator really happens to be on the team - but trust me, the real players are not going to lower themselves) - and stop the inveterate predictors from embarrassing themselves.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 10, 2013 8:39 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"Hill is a four star QB who can also run."

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 10, 2013 8:54 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"...there is no doubt that BYU's schedule in 2013 is more difficult than Utah's was in 2012. And we will go bowling and U did not."

There is no doubt that Phil Steele gave your 2013 preseason SOS a #49 ranking. There is ALSO no doubt that Phil Steele gave your big brother a #41 final SOS ranking for 2012. Similarly, there is no doubt that a #41 final SOS ranking is considered more difficult than a SOS ranked #49.

It would appear that there is no doubt that you did NOT do any research before you frantically and emotionally spouted off that made-up SOS comparative fantasy. Typical coug.

• canadiancougar624 Provo, UT
    July 10, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Naval Vet:

He HAD to have been a four-star. After all you guys did recruit him into your prestigious PAC-11+U. We all know four-star and below=no go!

LOL

Go Cougs!!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 10, 2013 9:07 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"GT proved they are better than USC."

Ga. Tech only proved to be better than a USC team playing a Freshman QB who was making his 2nd career start, vs. their own Senior QB who'd started since his Sophomore year. And if you don't think that makes a difference, just think back....when was the last time Y beat their big brother?

Answer: Back when 3-yr starter/Sr QB Max Hall eked past a true Freshman QB/Wynn making his...yep, you guessed it...2nd career start.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 10, 2013 9:12 a.m.

canadianindyWACer624:

So in other words, what you're saying is NOBODY awarded Hill 4-stars, and that CougFaninTX just frantically and emotionally made that up. Otherwise, you would have stated precisely who awarded him blue-chip status.

"LOL"

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    July 10, 2013 9:45 a.m.

Well, the dye has been cast. It's obvious that the trolls are going to use SOS as their excuse for each and every loss this season. It will be especially interesting to read Chris B's and a few other similar troll's specific excuses after the BYU game. And it will be a totally refreshing thing to go the rest of the season without reading his funny comments, excuses and predictions on BYU articles. It would an extra nice bonus if a few other fellow trolls would make the same promise and keep it. Not having to read Navel Vet's predictable tirades on high school "star recruits" comes to mind.

Whether Chris actually keeps that promise is yet to be seen. He wasn't able to in basketball. Hopefully, he will this time. I've learned to "write it down" in soft lead pencil, since his predictions and promises have to be erased so often.

Predictably, no trolls have commented on Phil Steele's prediction that Anae will have more immediate success than Erickson will.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 10, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Chris B said:

" ....... People forget we have a national championship .... ". For a while, I thought he was talking about BYU, then he went sideways.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 10, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Tators
    Hyrum, UT

----------

That's because "lack of execution" and "blaming the referees" are a trademark slogans by BYU.

What isn't trademarked by BYU is "playing a real schedule".

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 10, 2013 10:55 a.m.

When Phil Steele forcasts a good to great season for your team it is the kiss of death. At least it was for Utah last year. Utah's schedule is ranked #12; argh! We shall see!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 10, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Naval Vet:
    "Who rated Hill a 4-star QB? Not Rivals. Not Scout. Did you frantically and emotionally make that up?"

It is true that all services including espn rated Hill a 3 star, which under Bronco considering what he does with walk-ons and zero stars (all Americans in college) is actually 5 stars. I also wouldn't call rivals, scouts, or 247 reliable with Taysom Hill, labeling him (a guy who runs a 4.46) a "Pro Style QB". I think dual threat would be a more accurate description. I mean they label Cox dual threat, & Hansen Athlete & dual threat (espn), but Hill is faster and more athletic than either of them. I've watched Cox play, so with him that's just opinion, but Hansens 40 is 4.55 so he's clocked as slower.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    July 10, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Too many extrinsic factors to be able to determine what any team's final numbers will be:

1. Injuries.
    2. Depth.
    3. Coaching/play calling (for both O & D).
    4. Weather.
    5. Some say home/away is a significant factor.
    6. Play-making/opportunities.
    7. Speed/skill/technique.
    8. O versus D match-ups.
    9. Special Team performance, especially
    10. Kicking game.

With all of these various factors, it will clearly depend on these (and whatever other factors) that will determine the particular outcome on that particular day.

Thoughts go back last year to USC's outcomes after Barkley's injury; Utah after Wynn's similar situation with multiple injuries; USU is known to have no depth at QB, etc etc.

So only time will tell about outcomes. The rest is just bluster.

Bottom Line: No one can really tell what the outcome of any contest will be, literally until the ball bounces off the crossbar on the final play in the 4th quarter.... :)

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    July 10, 2013 1:53 p.m.

How about we do this for Chris B. I kinda like some of his posts so not seeing him on the boards for a year will be boring. How about IF the Y beats the U this year, Chris B. agrees to write at least one positive comment about the Y per post.

GO UTES!!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 10, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Dr Ute, you write with wisdom and truth.

I cannot understand all the posturing. Does it make a guy a better man because his team does well. It's not like the people who comment here are actually playing in the games. I would really like to discuss the games, the season and the player performances, but it seems most people here would rather just attack the other team and especially its fans or irrationally declare the greatness of their team before the season (what! before fall camp) has even started!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 10, 2013 3:49 p.m.

I like it wookie...now we just have to get Chrissy to agree...and that means no sarcastic positive remarks, we already have ETB and Mildred for that tired act.

• aggfan77 Shire, 00
    July 10, 2013 4:26 p.m.

DrUte and Osgrath,
    I completely agree with you guys. It would be nice to be able to actually just talk sports with other fans. But it seems impossible. To much random hate!

I'm a huge Aggie fan. I truly hope for UTAH, BYU and the Aggies to do really well.

There is NO stat or number that will tell any of us what next year will be like. I mean come on....did anyone see the Aggies being 5 pts away from a BCS game? :-)

Go Aggies! Stay Healthy!
    Go Utes! Stay Healthy! Lose only 1 game :-)
    BYU just mostly stay Healthy! And lose 2 games :-) More would be ok..... No hate to the fans though!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 10, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Cougsndawgs:

It's a lot easier to "say" Hill is faster than Cox, but it's much tougher to find any publication that indicates what Cox's speed actually is, isn't it? So unless you can find me something that validates your position that Hill possesses superior speed to Cox...

...you'll just wind up looking frantic and emotional. Like canadiancougar624 and CougFaninTX.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 10, 2013 9:47 p.m.

@ Chris B

I repeat that promise this year"

When BYU beats Utah this year, do us all a favor and don't post until the year BYU and Utah play again on 2016.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 10, 2013 10:52 p.m.

Naval Vet:
    I guess you missed the part where I said I've seen Cox play and IN MY OPINION Hill looks faster (from what I've seen I highly doubt Cox runs a 4.46...looked like more 4.6-4.65 speed to me). I do think Cox throws a better ball than Hill. But, my point was Hill is hardly a pro style QB...surely you agree with that misjudgement by the recruiting services, and how it ruins their credibility at least in Hill's case.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 11, 2013 9:04 a.m.

cfinTX--

"Okay, I get the jabs at the bottom half of the schedule the last two years, but with a schedule that includes Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Texas, Boise State, Utah and Utah State how can U in good conscience say it's crafted for 8 easy wins? Virginia, Houston and Georgia Tech are no slouches either, all of whom are better than Washington State or Colorado."

Here's what was omitted here--

Bye-weeks before both UTAH/WISC, mtsu before usu, uh [minus star sr rb who recently trf'd and an awful D returning only 5] before bsu and isu before nd. Compare all of these weeks-off to our mid-season stretch, from OSU through UO. Then, ask UCLA and UW how easy playing up there in Pullman was for them late in the season last year? CU won't likely improve in record, but their previous coaching staff was one of the all-time worst, although their conf sched the past 2 years has been utterly brutal.

This is why Phil Steele's '13 SOS rankings has 2-Star byu's at #49 and UTAH's at #12.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 11, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Abeille--

"We'll see if you're a man of your word. I'm marking it down, and I expect you to keep your word to refrain from posting on all BYU articles for an entire year after BYU spanks Utah:

Utah 7
    BYU 30"

Similar to a bunch of equally obscene/outrageous predictions in favor of 2-Star byu I witnessed pre-game last year, as well. I ask you this--

When was the last time 2-Star byu beat UTAH by more than a TD? Your first clue s/b that in recent memory wins have scarce for them, in the first place. But it is mind-boggling to me when I see such a final margin predicted. They may very well pull off the unthinkable, and win, although highly doubtful, but I'm curious to read about your basis for predicting such an outcome?

Thanks in advance!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 11, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Cougsndawgs:

"I guess you missed the part where I said I've seen Cox play and IN MY OPINION Hill looks faster (from what I've seen I highly doubt Cox runs a 4.46...looked like more 4.6-4.65 speed to me)."

Yep. Just what I thought. Frantic and emotional.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 11, 2013 11:35 a.m.

AZUTE1:

"Abeille--...'Utah 7 BYU 30'...When was the last time 2-Star byu beat UTAH by more than a TD?...it is mind-boggling to me when I see such a final margin predicted...I'm curious to read about your basis for predicting such an outcome?"

Some sort of anguished frantic emotion borne of 3 consecutive years of futility against his 2-time BCS Bowl busting, big brother who left him doomed to play WAC football after we joined the Pac-12?

That would be MY guess anyway.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 11, 2013 12:07 p.m.

Naval Vet:
    "So now you're suggesting you can "eyeball" speed variances between 14-19 HUNDREDTHS of a second?"

Are you saying you can't see the difference in speed on the field between a 4.4 guy and a 4.6 guy? Maybe you don't watch CFB as much as I thought you did. Most fans I know can see the difference in speed...and there is a difference between Hill and Cox. Nothing frantic and emotional about it...it's called observation. Very simple and uncomplicated.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 11, 2013 1:42 p.m.

cfinTX--

"But I do think Phil completely misses it by even comparing Hill to Nelson. Hill is a four star QB who can also run. He has a lot of work to get there, but Hill is much more like Kaepernick than Nelson."

What's wrong with this picture?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 11, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Cougsdawgs:

"Nothing frantic and emotional about it...it's called observation. Very simple and uncomplicated."

No, it's called "frantic and emotional wishing". You can NOT tell the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 speed unless they're running side-by-side. Why else do you think NFL combines use a stopwatch rather than just estimating an athlete's time(s). And THEY even have the benefit of watching those men run side-by-side. Fail.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 11, 2013 6:13 p.m.

Naval Vet:
    Have you ever heard the phrase "if I'm even, I'm leavin"? I've seen Hill be "even" with safeties, and "leaving" safeties. I've seen Cox even, and tackled by safeties. Do you honestly think scouts at universities clock guys during games? They watch them, and see their speed an quickness on the field, and evaluate that speed as they see it...it's not until they get to camps, all star events, or official visits that they actually clock them. Hill wasn't clocked until he got to college...at least not that I could tell from any recruiting services. Cox wasn't clocked in HS anywhere that's listed either, yet scouts call him a dual threat QB. THAT was my point, scout.com and rivals calling Hill with his speed and athleticism a "pro style QB" is ridiculous. And if you can't see the difference in speed, not my problem...doesn't mean many people can't. Can you honestly not see the difference in speed between Hoffman & Des Anderson? Probably about a .20 difference but EASY to see Anderson is faster...not so hard now is it?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2013 8:34 p.m.

"Steele rated the Utes as having the 12th toughest schedule in the nation."

Okayyyyy, que the utes and their whiney excuses about having a tough schedule as the reason they go 2-10 in 2013.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 11, 2013 9:24 p.m.

Big Cougar,

What will be BYU fan's excuses when they lose to Utah again

A "we gave the game away on a silver platter", or

B "the refs robbed us"

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:37 a.m.

@Chris B
    "I guarantee we beat byu and go bowling."

Will they go bowling at the Crimson Commons Recreation Center or to a bowling alley in town? That sounds like it would be fun.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:50 a.m.

@U90
    "What will be BYU fan's excuses when they lose to Utah again

A "we gave the game away on a silver platter", or

B "the refs robbed us""

The rivalry has taken such a weird turn in recent years that I truthfully have no idea what to expect this coming season. BYU has invented almost entirely new ways to lose a football game, last year's finish was the icing on the cake. I can't imagine what could top that.

As for choosing A or B, I think we've had "A" covered fairly well in recent years but can't remember a game where I've felt the refs robbed us so I'll go with "B" this year. Riley is gone so I don't expect we'll see the calvalcade of unforced turnovers this year.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2013 12:50 p.m.

@CougsnDawgs
    "Can you honestly not see the difference in speed between Hoffman & Des Anderson? Probably about a .20 difference but EASY to see Anderson is faster...not so hard now is it?"

Is there really a difference between them? I've seen 40 times posted on-line for Dres putting him at 4.64 seconds and I've seen them for Hoff as low as 4.56 seconds. I think the advantage lies with Hoff and his size vs Anderson. Hoff has really long arms to go with his height that gives him a "sizeable" advantage over the smaller Anderson. When you combine that with his 4.56 speed in the 40 it adds up to be quite a difference and a major reason Hoff will get drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft and Anderson likely won't even be a FA signee.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 12, 2013 3:30 p.m.

BigCougar:
    "Is there really a difference between them? I've seen 40 times posted on-line for Dres putting him at 4.64 seconds and I've seen them for Hoff as low as 4.56 seconds".

Thank you for pointing that out. I was thinking Kenneth Scott, not Dres Anderson. I had posted something else about Anderson and so he was apparently in my head lol. Scott looks faster on the field than Hoffman, and Ive heard his 40 time is abt the same as Hills at about 4.42-4.46 but I wouldn't know (maybe NV knows). Hoffmans fastest time was 4.56 and I don't know if that's really accurate because it wasn't electronic. Now, Reggie Dunn on the other hand ran a 4.22 which is still only .34 seconds faster than Hoffman but easily faster by observation. Point is, it's not that hard to evaluate a players speed relative to another...scouts have to do it all the time (like my uncle) without clocking them. There's also differences between a players "game speed" and their straight line 40 speed. My point was, recruiting services labeling Hill a "pro style QB" is ridiculous.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2013 8:18 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs
    "There's also differences between a players "game speed" and their straight line 40 speed. My point was, recruiting services labeling Hill a "pro style QB" is ridiculous."

Absolutely true. No better example of that than Austin Collie who ran a 4.6 and yet tied Bryce McCain and his 4.2 speed up in knots. Bryce had so much trouble keeping up with AC that when you go back and watch the tape he had to constantly grab and hold AC in a vain effort to try and slow him down. Whitt even brought Sean Smith over to help double AC because McCain was getting burned like toast (**cough** 4th & 18)

Also, I agree with you, Hill is no Pro Style QB. That's ludicrous. Just watch his TD run vs Hawaii to see that.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 30, 2013 2:00 p.m.

I only see one toss up game, and I'm not sure they will beat Weber.