Jimmer Fredette involved in potential trade to Cleveland Cavaliers

Comments

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Jimmy averaged one assist? Don't believe it.

If trade happens, good luck to Jimmy. Seems like a nice kid who deserves a shot.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:47 a.m.

It's to bad that the fans can't trade the owners and coaching staff. Don't blame it all on the players.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Did the Cavaliers receive compensation for taking Jimmer?

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    July 8, 2013 11:28 a.m.

I hope Jimmer can go somewhere that he is allowed to play more, on a per minutes basis he was the best Sacramento had at getting points, they just have too many guards and didn't give him many minutes.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:30 a.m.

Chris B,

There you go again. Criticizing anything to do with BYU. There are plenty of BYU critics out there, but you take the cake.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:41 a.m.

@Oatmeal,

I speak the truth. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

• SammFan Sammamish, WA
    July 8, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Downunder - They did trade the owners and the coaching staff. Unwilling to deal Demarcus Cousins who is basketball cancer, the new owners and coaches keep investing in guards to try and prop him up. Jimmer's best bet is to leave. Unfortunately, going east will deprive him of his base of BYU fans and any outside pressure tp play him. He'll be on his own to make it or go to europe. I'm rooting for him.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 8, 2013 11:44 a.m.

Great, so Jimmer goes from the frying pan to the fire. One bad team to another...I hope at some point he can land somewhere they actually know how to slash and dish instead of every man for himself. That's the only way jimmers talents will come to bare.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Yes, Chris B, the Kings weren't very smart to draft a player and then not let him play. I agree with you on that point. The Kings are in trouble because of their coaching, team chemistry, and failure to develop their talent. So we'll see how they do in the future, but I won't expect much (just like with some unnamed PAC 12 football teams) so I won't be disappointed.

• Suhyun Ogden, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Chris. Sacramento is to the NBA what Utah is to the PAC 11.1. Mark it down.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:10 p.m.

I hope Jimmmer can get into a happier situation.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:15 p.m.

@Kralon
    Jimmer tended to play against reserves and he had one of if not the highest shots taken per 36 minute rates on the team so it's not all that surprising that he had a fairly high point per 36 minute rate.

That said Sacramento is a horribly managed team, he could definitely do better elsewhere.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:19 p.m.

@Suhyun
    "Sacramento is to the NBA what Utah is to the PAC 11.1."

Colorado is Sacramento. Utah is a team that looked like a solid competitor but failed to reach the postseason for the first time in a long while. They decided to work for the future by turning the starting quarterback position over to a freshman and you suspect they aren't going to be all that good next year but have a promising future if it pans out right... actually they're kinda like the Jazz.

• Ohio-LDS NE, OH
    July 8, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Awesome. Start with a Kyrie - Jimmer backcourt. Add Jabari Parker in next year's draft. Soon all of Utah will be routing for the Kirtland Kavaliers.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 8, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Seems like only yesterday when Jimmer lit up the utes for 47 in the 107-79 blowout at the HC. Too bad he had to sit out the last 5 minutes. Probably would have scored 60. Was utah in the pac 11.1 at that time, er??

• Duh west jordan, ut
    July 8, 2013 12:55 p.m.

If you would all quit feeding Chris B's fire, he would eventually go away but no, people always have to feed his fire. He knows it and he loves to burn everyone he can. LOL.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    July 8, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Chris B - Ah thanks for your sense of humor. I had a good laugh.

Jimmer reminds me of a QB by the name of Alex Smith. (You know from that "premier" BCS PAC 12 team). Glad all the naysayers were wrong when they said that SF wasted the 1st overall NFL pick on this guy that never played at much as SF and had no stats to mention (other than bad) until many years later. Now they are eating their words. Go Alex!

I am not saying Jimmer is going to be the next LeBron or Kobe but he deserves a shot just like Alex did. Get a good team around him, a coach that can bring it together and I think Jimmer may just prove his naysayers wrong like Alex did. Not going to make the all defensive team (neither did Steve Nash) but you have to score to win. He is good at that.

How about something positive Chris B and not just the negative. One kind word on BYU would not kill you.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    July 8, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Hope it happens. Might actually travel up to Cleveland to watch him play.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 8, 2013 1:28 p.m.

Chris,

"I speak the truth."

What?!

"With bad decisions like drafting Jimmer with a lottery pick, it's no wonder the Kings are where they are."

That is an insinuation not the truth even if it does have elements of truth in it. Where did u learn to theorize? at the u?

There are many different reasons that the Kings are where they are. But you nor anyone one else can speak to the truth of what happened.

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    July 8, 2013 2:06 p.m.

I just hope Jimmer can get a fair shot somewhere.

• sportfan233 cir, OH
    July 8, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Cleveland, if the decided they are to take Jimmer in order to help Sacramento to free up cap space to get a top quality guard, they need to ask Sacramento that the picked that is owed to Cleveland be unprotected or have the right to swap picked.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 3:40 p.m.

The Kings want to add Monta Ellis? I thought it was a new era in Sacramento? Another shoot first pass later guard? They just draft Ben Mclemore?

I do think it strange that folks say Jimmer needs to get to an environment that is a drive and dish, unselfish, pass first kind of a team. As I go back and watch Jimmer's college film, it seems to me that he fits best into a situation where he dominates the ball and isn't asked to do much else but shoot and score. What am I missing here? Has he all the sudden become a team oriented distributor? Coach Rose rolled the ball out there and said "Jimmer - go score the ball. Only pass if you are absolutely stuck. If you are stuck, Jackson or Brandon are the only two you can pass it to. Oh yeah, don't play any defense because we need you to save your legs for offense. OK, Cougars on three, one, two, three." Now he is on a team where the coach says the same thing and suddenly its a bad situation and bad coaching. I'm missing something I'm sure.

• I LOVE PIE Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 3:43 p.m.

Is it now safe to say that Jimmer was overrated the whole time? It doesn't matter where he goes in the NBA.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 8, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Jimmer will put up decent numbers if he ever gets a shot on a good team. I was really hoping the Thunder deal would happen. That would be an ideal situation for someone like Jimmer to excel. I'm not so excited about the Cavaliers, but anything has to be better than the Kings (with the exception of the Bobcats).

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 3:47 p.m.

I find myself in the incredibly awkward spot of actually agreeing with Chris B (less his obsessive need to slam all things BYU). In all seriousness, drafting Jimmer was a huge mistake for Sacramento. Jimmer just flat didn't get it done there. No excuses. I wish people would stop trying to blame it all on coaching. Great players often thrive in situations where the coaching is less than ideal. Damian Lillard plays on a bad team with questionable coaching and personnel, and yet still became the NBA rookie of the year.

Good luck to Jimmer in Cleveland, but I can't help but think it will be more of the same. I think he'll be out of the league sooner rather than later.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 8, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Jimmer has the same problem that Adam Morrison (Gonzaga) has; he can't play defense. If he can't make it with two of the worst teams in the NBA, Kings and Cavs; make no mistake. He can't make it in the NBA and he's had more that a fair shot it.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Keep shooting Jim!

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    July 8, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Cleveland needs another benchwarmer... and Jimmer is just the low-paid man for the job! It will free up some money for Cleveland to look for a better guard who can actually play!

I said it before and I will say it again, Jimmer was an over-rated fluke, and has no meaningful future in the NBA.

• rescueguy Spanish Fork, UT
    July 8, 2013 4:36 p.m.

Chris B. I just wanted to welcome you to the real world as well. You say you speak the truth. Well, here is a truth for you then. Jimmer Fredette is a professional basketball player in the NBA. And you do what.......? Just sayin.....

• hawkeye1995 American Fork, UT
    July 8, 2013 5:24 p.m.

Chris B--you sound like your typical UTE. Jimmer torched your utes every time he placed foot in your ute arena. Why are ute fans so involved with anything that has to do with BYU? The Utes will always be BYU's little bro.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    July 8, 2013 6:00 p.m.

Re: Jimmer lovers

Jimmer is one of the worst players on one of the worst teams.

He wouldn't make it on most of the good teams, that is why no good teams are interested in him.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 8, 2013 6:22 p.m.

@Christine B and Spokane Ute

Jimmer Fredette was the Unanimous National Player of the Year in College, only 2 years ago.
    He won all 6 Major NPOY Awards.
    -Naismith
    -AP
    -John Wooden
    -NABC
    -Adoph Rupp
    -Oscar Robertson....Awards.

As painful as that may be for U...It's time for U guys to get over it.

He has only just finished his 2nd year, with the worst organization in the NBA.
    Even the Sacramento owners bailed out and the coaching staff has recently been replaced.
    So your apparent need and desire, for his demise, is greatly exaggerated and premature.

Jimmer is rumored to be wanted by Cleveland and Indiana. Larry Bird respects his abilities, perhaps you should as well.

It never ceases to amaze me how some need for BYU, or anyone connected to the school, to fail, before they can feel right with themselves and the World.

When you guys achieve 1/100th of what The Jimmer has achieved, then get back to us.
    Until then, study the precepts of propriety and decorum.

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    July 8, 2013 6:38 p.m.

If only Jimmer would've been on the original dream team, he would have been so good, but now he is stuck being the worst guy on the worst team. If only the Lakers realized that Jimmer is better than Kobe has ever been, the Lakers would be so good.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:00 p.m.

@Fatman68
    "Great players often thrive in situations where the coaching is less than ideal. Damian Lillard plays on a bad team with questionable coaching and personnel, and yet still became the NBA rookie of the year."

At least try and come up with a good comparison.

Lillard avgd 39 minutes a game while Jimmer avgd 14 last season. If you extrapolate their numbers out per minute they both had pretty identical numbers with one exception, Lillard was a better passer and Jimmer was a better 3 pt shooter (neither is close to the other in those areas).

Also, Lillard came to a team desparate for a leader at the point. Coaches in Portland said, "here's the ball, go and do." It was a Portland team that was a season or two removed from winning 48 games and making the playoffs.

Jimmer went to a team that was already famous for ball-hogging guards complaining about not getting enough shots, minutes, etc. Had Lillard gone to Sacramento there's no way he would've been ROY. guards that go to Sacramento get worse the longer they're there (Tyreke Evans). The Kings have been horrid for eons.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 8, 2013 7:07 p.m.

Hard for me to understand why so many of the Y fans get really upset at some of these comments. Jimmer was a great college player, a high draft pick, and has been a bust so far in the NBA. He may end up doing well with a different team or continue to be a disappointment - either way it doesn't make him a good/bad person nor does it reflect positively/negatively on BYU. Best thing that could happen to him is to get out of Sacramento.

My opinion is that his games doesn't translate very well to the pro level but he could end up being a valuable reserve that provides some instant offense to the right team.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Going to Cleveland would be like leaving Purgatory and going to Heaven! If that deal works out it would be awesome for Jimmer. That goes to show how dumb the Kings are. They already have too many ball-hogging combo guards and now they're wanting to bring in one of the worst ball-hogging guards in the NBA, Monta Ellis.

No sooner did Ellis leave Golden State then they went from being a cellar-dweller to very nearly upsetting the Spurs in the Western Conference Semi-finals. It's further proof that Sacramento doesn't have a clue.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:11 p.m.

@Bluto,

This article is about Jimmer in the NBA, not college. All those college accomplishments are impressive, but irrelevant as far as his NBA status is concerned. Believe me I roll my eyes at the Chris B's of the world as much as anyone, but he's right on here. Jimmer is an NBA flop. All the 3 year old college accolades in the world won't change that. Will he help Cleveland? I just don't think see it.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:31 p.m.

Holy Cow Chris, do you have a life outside of trolling the comments on BYU articles?

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:42 p.m.

@Big Cougar,

Lillard and Jimmer are the perfect comparison. One is getting it done and one isn't. If Lillard hadn't shown his stuff in Blazers practice and rookie camps, do you really think he would have been sent into the starting line up? He started because he earned the right to start. Jimmer has simply not done so. You make it sound like Jimmer never ever plays. He does play, but he proves himself to be a big time defensive liability, and because of that they sit him back down.

Can't wait to hear all the Cleveland excuses.

• Ute66 Centerville, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:51 p.m.

I hope Jimmer does well wherever he goes, I really do, but some of you Cougar fans are crazy to say that Utah is "little brother" to BYU in basketball. Utah has a player playing in the NBA right now that is better than Jimmer today, and quite frankly was better than Jimmer in college. He has never played for a great team, yet is 10th all time in assists. He never won player of the year in college, he just helped his team win all the time. In his 4 years at Utah, his teams won 4 conference championships, got out of the first round of the NCAA tournament all 4 years, played in 3 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s, a Final Four, and a championship game. His teams went 114-21 in his 4 years at Utah, and won 11 NCAA tournament games, 2 less than BYU has won all time. If you are going to refer to us as "little brother", you might want to remember that 37 year old Andre Miller is better than 24 year old Jimmer still, today.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 8, 2013 8:10 p.m.

@ Ute66

"I hope Jimmer does well wherever he goes, I really do, but some of you Cougar fans are crazy to say that Utah is "little brother" to BYU in basketball."

Utah fans boast about being 7-3 against BYU in football in the last 10 meetings calling that dominant. Well BYU has been 9-1 in the last 10 meetings against Utah in basketball. I'm not into the "big brother" or "little brother" phase but as a Cougar fan, I will admit that Utah has BYU's number in football with a 7-3 record against them. But Utah fans likewise need to admit that BYU has Utah's number in basketball with a 9-1 record. The PAC 12 does benefit Utah immensely in football, but in basketball, conference affiliation doesn't mean that much. Being in a good conference helps maybe get more NCAA tournament bids but the top teams in the WCC can play anybody and have a good chance to win. Also BYU moving to the WCC hasn't hurt them in recruiting. They are still getting the best players out of Utah and I don't see that changing in the near future.

• ImABeliever Provo, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:14 p.m.

It cracks me up that people are on Jimmer's side and it's mainly because he is L.D.S.
    I'm L.D.S. as well and live in Provo. You have to separate the two; L.D.S. and Professional
    Sports. I said he was overrated in college. Shooting 38% doesn't cut it in college and especially not in the N.B.A. Just because he's L.D.S. doesn't he deserves a statue.
    He had plenty of chances in Sacramento and plain blew it. Get real people and take off your rose colored glasses.

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    July 8, 2013 9:52 p.m.

I am also of the opinion that Jimmer needs out of Sacramento. Sometimes the situation just isn't a good fit and Sacramento was a mess all the way down. It could easily be said that nobody on that team was playing to their potential. I don't have confidence that it is going to get much better. Jimmer was great entertainment. He made BYU basketball fun to watch.

• Ute66 Centerville, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:53 p.m.

@Mark 321:

You are right to point out that over the last 7 or 8 years BYU has been far better than Utah in basketball. I won't dispute that at all. I also appreciate that you acknowledged that Utah has won 8 of the last 11 head to head in football. Overall I would say that Utah is better historically in basketball although BYU has a slight edge head to head. By the same token, even though Utah has won the majority of the rivalry games in football, Utah doesn't have anywhere near the tradition BYU has in football. I just like to see both sides give credit where it is due. I would like to see Jimmer succeed in the NBA. I think he is a classy kid. I think the team he has played on has been part of the reason he has struggled, and who knows, maybe Cleveland will be good for him if he goes there.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 8, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Here is one Ute fan who bears Jimmer no ill will.

Sacramento was simply the wrong team for Jimmer Fredette.

Fredette has talent and in the right situation can bring exactly what any NBA team needs, a deadly outside shooter.

A great coach, who understands how to utilize Jimmer's talents, would go a long way in silencing Jimmer's critics who say he is a bust. Fredette has only been in the NBA two years. For goodness sake, the Jazz gave CJ Miles 7 years before deciding he was a bust!

When Jimmer Fredette's contract expires, I hope he will take a long hard look around the league and decide to take his talents to a team that truly understands how to use them. He will have one more NBA contract to prove himself, if chooses to sign with the wrong team he will be out of the league after that.

Jimmer, you may have thumped my Utes, but I bear you no ill will and wish you the best.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 8, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Tom in CA
    Vallejo, CA

______

Yep, seems like only yesterday. Now he sits out 43 minutes per game. With that said, Jimmy has a better chance in Cleveland than Sacopotatoes.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    July 9, 2013 12:28 a.m.

@ Ute66

You're right, maybe a move away from Sacramento will re-energize Jimmer's NBA career. Classy comment by the way. Utah has great basketball history in their own right. I remember watching the 1998 Final Four when Utah beat North Carolina only to lose the Final to Kentucky in the last 10 minutes of the game. That was a great team and yes I do remember Andre Miller on that team, great college player. I don't think he was the scoring threat that Jimmer was in college but a solid NBA player who is smart with the basketball.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 9, 2013 1:02 a.m.

"Jimmer Fredette involved in potential trade to Cleveland Cavaliers"

He's still in The Association? I seriously had no idea! Figured he'd accepted his fate and moved on already!

In other news, it was a blast watching Miller/Bogut represent in the playoffs this season! Great to see the state represented on the big stage! Good times!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 9, 2013 1:13 a.m.

Ute66--

"....some of you Cougar fans are crazy to say that Utah is "little brother" to BYU in basketball. Utah has a player playing in the NBA right now that is better than Jimmer today, and quite frankly was better than Jimmer in college. He has never played for a great team, yet is 10th all time in assists. He never won player of the year in college, he just helped his team win all the time. In his 4 years at Utah, his teams won 4 conference championships, got out of the first round of the NCAA tournament all 4 years, played in 3 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s, a Final Four, and a championship game. His teams went 114-21 in his 4 years at Utah, and won 11 NCAA tournament games, 2 less than BYU has won all time. If you are going to refer to us as "little brother", you might want to remember that 37 year old Andre Miller is better than 24 year old Jimmer still, today."

BINGO....JF's individual hype overshadowed the reality of 2-Star byu's utter futility in The Tourney, as he couldn't even lead them past the Sweet 16!

• gotold Ivins, UT
    July 9, 2013 6:16 a.m.

Way to slow and a liability on defense, but a real nice kid who deserved a better opportunity to improve. He is a pure set up shooter who can score points in an offense set up for him. Most likely this will be his last season in the NBA.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    July 9, 2013 7:18 a.m.

Why do small people around here think the BYU/Utah squabble is a zero sum game. Its not BYU or Utah, its BYU and Utah and USU and...

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 9, 2013 7:34 a.m.

Bluto

I never questioned his college acomplishments, now did I? Did I say that I don't respect his ability? No. I simply stated my opinion that he can't play defense, just like Adam Morrison. He struggled with the Kings, and considering they are one of the worst teams in the NBA; that's a bad sign. Would I like to see Jimmer excel? Sure. Will he? I doubt it. He could average 10-12 points a game, but the guy he's defending is getting 20+. Do the math, and realize my position has absolutely nothing to do with Utah. Simply stating my opinion on the subject at hand. You sound paranoid!

• portlander Arlington, WA
    July 9, 2013 8:29 a.m.

I've been looking for quite awhile, for some news on the Jimmer. As a Blazer fan, I'd like to see him suit up for Portland, filling the shooting guard slot on the 2nd squad off of the bench... with CJMac, D.Wright, T.Rob & Meyers Leonard. I hope that the brass in PDX helps Cleveland and Sactown make a deal. The Blazers throw in A.Crabbe, T.Harris and or V.Claver, J.Freeland, W.Barton and E.Williams to help make the deal work.

Alot of people think that his game doesn't translate to the NBA, that he doesn't play defense or some other mush. But a great coach would plug him in to a spot where what he's got can be exploited, all the while helping him to develop in areas where he has perceived weaknesses. For Portland, that would be as the 2nd unit's 2 guard off the bench.

I know that this is the wrong forum for PDX brass to see, but GO JIMMER! Wake up PDX management and grab this guy while you can. He's an upgrade that the Blazers really could be upgraded by grabbing!

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    July 9, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Jimmer to Utah! Without Foye we need someone who can shoot.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    July 9, 2013 9:39 a.m.

My point about Jimmer to PDX is exactly why it would work. His shooting skills are the type of skills PDX coach Stotts values...outside shooting! And Jimmer brings that to the table in bucketfuls! PDX would be such a great fit for him!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 9, 2013 3:45 p.m.

I don't get how after two years of playing extremely limited minutes on a bad team haters insist Jimmer is a bust.

Jimmer's PER of 14.66 compares favorably with other role players in the NBA. Out of 344 players that qualify (have 6.7 min/game or more), Jimmer ranks 154th, right in the middle (and 37th of 82 point guards). And that is on a “me first” team. His ranking is better than Danny Green, Jordan Crawford, Andrew Bogut, Jared Sullinger, Mike Miller, Tony Allen, Ben Gordon, Brandon Knight, Alec Burks… Also, last season Jimmer’s three point percentage of .417 ranked 17th in the NBA, not too shabby. While I doubt that he will ever become an all-star, I still believe that Jimmer will have a long and productive NBA career as a role player and Cleavland is definitely a better opportunity for him than riding the bench in Sacramento.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 9, 2013 5:18 p.m.

@Wisconsincougar

We shall see, but not looking good so far. Honestly? I hope a new setting will help. I would hate to see him turn out like Adam Morrison; what a huge bust!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 9, 2013 8:51 p.m.

Anyone who wants to extrapolate stats from a limited amount of minutes played against other third stringers, to the stats of players playing starting minutes in starting lineups against other starters, just doesn't get it.

Don't believe it? Just watch the stats (not to mention the growing pains) that Favors and Kanter throw up this year. Take the extrapolated numbers from last season and compare them with the actual minutes they play this year and my money will be on their last season numbers.

On that note, I'm a Jazz fan and I'll stick with this team through thick and thin. That said, Jazz fans better get ready to support their team. It could be a rough, rough year.

As for Jimmer, I wish him well, but I never was a believer. The BYU system made him look like a star when in fact his shooting percentage was rarely very good considering the quantity of shots he was able to take to get in a groove. That's a luxury any decent ball player would love to be given.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 9, 2013 11:42 p.m.

Jimmer will make it, count on it.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 10, 2013 4:39 p.m.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    July 10, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Jimmer was on the worst possible team for his talents. The Kings were composed of a bunch of immature, selfish ball hogs, and their coach did very little to correct the team's shortcomings, getting upset anytime a reporter asked why he wasn't playing Jimmer when his per minute stats were good. Jimmer's all-around shooting percentage was poor, but he is a great three-point shooter and will find a place in the NBA, where he could have a similar impact as Korver although Jimmer is a much better ball handler. The question remains as to whether he can defend sufficiently, but at Sacto he never was able to develop with all the time he spent warming the bench.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 11, 2013 9:29 a.m.

RE: FatMan86

"I still don't understand the absolute denial about Jimmer among the Cougar crowd here. Quoting obscure statistics for spin, and whining about the coaching in Sacramento is every bit as weak as Ute fans clamoring about how their PAC 12 membership makes them better than everyone else (with no results in the PAC 12 whatsoever).

Jimmer is a bust so far. The evidence is overwhelming. Utah is a bust so far in the PAC 12. Hopefully things will change for both going forward."

Do you really believe that Hollinger's PER ratings are "obscure statistics"? In my opinion they are the most reliable indicators of player effectiveness out there. I agree with you that Jimmer has been a bust thus far, I just don't think that he's beyond hope. On the right team he might do very well. I'd say for a player that hasn't yet been given a fair shake the jury should still be out.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Cougsndawgs

"Great, so Jimmer goes from the frying pan to the fire. One bad team to another..."

Don't be so quick to sell Cleveland short. The Cavs are quietly putting together a pretty good team, at least they will be light years better than Sacramento. At least they are TRYING to get better. Cleveland might be where Jimmer can break out.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX