Brad Rock: What's in the stars for BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 5:05 p.m.

My guess:

Continued .200 record against top 25 teams.

And now that I think about it.

That's bronco's record against Prestigious Pac 12 Utah the past 5 years too

LOL

I love having a coach that knows how to win BCS games!

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    June 26, 2013 5:16 p.m.

In a variety of ways, this season is going to set the tone for the next few years. I like Coach Mendenhall. I like what he has done with the defense. I am excited to see what Anae does with the offense. BYU has a strong schedule. This has potential to be a great year. Go Cougars!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    June 26, 2013 5:23 p.m.

Glad Mendenhall will be around three more years! Like anyone he is not perfect, but better than almost all other choices.

It seems like the beating of "ranked" teams is only concerned with if they were ranked at the time of the game. It makes more sense to me to look at final rankings which better reflect the strength of an opponent.

Based on final rankings BYU played FIVE ranked teams last year (Notre Dame, Utah State, Boise State, Oregon State and San Jose State), but lost to four of them . Not a great showing, but not bad in what most would consider a 'down' year (at least on offense).

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    June 26, 2013 5:40 p.m.

For the past several years there was way too much drama on the offesive side of the ball. Between the reset with the coaching staff and and clarity at quarterback the opportunity is there for us to do great things.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 6:06 p.m.

CB,
    Please explain that you have a coach that can beat BCS teams. Do you mean the same coach that is in the cellar of a BCS conference? I thought so. Beating Alabama many years ago only counts in horseshoes. I love my coach that is ranked 12th nationally and has won 4 bowls in a row. Nice try though!!

LOL

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 6:17 p.m.

My prediction - More t shirts with lame slogans that are never achieved, more losses than wins against quality opponents, more bad relationships with his own fans and boosters and more quotes that make absolutely no sense.

In other words, more entertainment.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 6:19 p.m.

AS a Utah fan I laugh at the stupidity of Chris B's comments. I wonder what you in enjoy more....the success our program or taunting BYU fans. I would venture to say that you enjoy heckling fans more than seeing our success. For the sake of BYU fans AND Utah fans please stop!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 26, 2013 6:56 p.m.

RBN:
    I second that motion.
    I know Coach Mendenhall is awkward with the media, doesn't always a make sense, and can be pretty dry. But if you watch his players and how they talk about him and respect him, you realize how good a coach he is. That's his job, teaching and coaching young men and winning ball games, not catering and pandering to the media to garner their approval. I'm one fan that is grateful we got him instead of Whittingham. I think Whittingham is a good coach but I don't think he could motivate his players like Bronco does. I mean how else do you lose to every winning team in the PAC12 with all the 4 star athletes ute trolls want to boast?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    June 26, 2013 8:24 p.m.

Bronco has 46% winning percentage against BCS teams...

Bronco has an abysmal record against ranked teams... whether ranked at the time of the game or at year-end...

Bronco has never been to a BCS game...

Bronco has a losing record to Utah...

Bronco has never faced anything other than a MWC/WAC loaded schedule...

On top of all that Bronco's last three recruiting classes have been among his weakest...

National Championship?

Bronco has a few other matters of businss to take care of before he starts talking about a national championship.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 26, 2013 8:28 p.m.

Howie:
    "Bronco has a few other matters of businss to take care of before he starts talking about a national championship".

For once you and I agree on something! Lol

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 26, 2013 8:44 p.m.

I agree with the previous sentiment: coach Whit had better start winning MORE BCS games than he has been, or he'll be a "has been." PAC whatever schools can't afford to give a coach too much slack.

Back to the article, some people mock Bronco for stating that the goal is a national championship. The same people mock Bronco for stating that football is NOT his highest priority.

The same people prove their ignorance and peevishness by mocking a good man to begin with.

If you want a barometer with which to measure the success of Bronco, look to Kyle Van Noy.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 26, 2013 10:56 p.m.

@ 54-10

My prediction in 2 years, Bronco will still be coaching and be successful (not championship successful or BCS bowl successful but 8-10 wins successful) and K. Whit. (who I like) will be looking for work after 2 more losing seasons with no bowls. As I predicted when Utah joined the Pac 10.2, they would quickly become irrelevant in college football AGAIN! For Ute fans sake, you better hope your team beats BYU because that is the only thing you guys will be able to hang your hat on. Oh, good luck this year and I hope you can beat your rival Colorado in the Pac 10.2 south "basement bowl" or "teams brought in for guaranteed wins bowl!" Is it a coincidence that the Pac 10.2 has fulfilled its bowl games since Utah and Colorado have joined? Methinks not!

• ArgoFY Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 27, 2013 12:42 a.m.

@Cougsndawgs:

I would have to agree with what you said. Overall, Utah has faster, more explosive athletes, but byu generally executes better with more mature players. In a nutshell, those two things have been responsible for both the successes and failures of each program. Utah is painfully realizing they can't beat teams PAC teams on athletic talent alone like they did in the MWC, and byu has a ceiling because of their religious standards, which will make it very difficult when the playoff system begins. But overall, it's interesting to see when Utah and byu go head to head because of their drastic difference in styles. I do wish Whit could have a little bit more of a motivating effect on his players like bronco seems to be able to do.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 27, 2013 4:50 a.m.

What's in the stars for Bronco? I will tell you. More praise and criticism from fans. Regardless, Bronco will continue to be who he is. Like it or not people.

I may find Bronco somewhat smug, but I think he is the right coach for the BYU program. His job is tough and he does it well.

As for Utah and winning BCS games. Look, BYU's winning percentage against BCS teams is no better than the Utes. But the difference I see is that Utah plays the games week in and week out. With a heavy laden MWC/WAC schedule, BYU has more recovery time against smaller athletes than Utah does relative to the war of attrition that is football. Colorado and WSU are bad but they hit harder than Idaho, Idaho State, New Mexico, New Mexico State ect...

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    June 27, 2013 7:42 a.m.

"Notre Dame, Texas, Boise State and Wisconsin are in the top 25 preseason polls." Of course, we have to accomodate utah and drag down our strength of schedule.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    June 27, 2013 7:43 a.m.

Where does lip service count as "espousing" ideals?
    Broncos record on recruiting value based athletes? Really? BYU is about average nationally. He's really trying for three and four star recruits regardless o f their moral values. Of course the athletes need to agree to the honor code, but they just follow the coaches example of paying lip service ( I mean "espousing" the code)

... And academics? He is below average nationally and has had aprs that if continued for 3 years would lead to sanctions by the ncaa.

Sorry, but there is a disconnect from reality. Cougar fans should not follow this coach's lead and claim all is rosy in happy valley, when facts and rationale claim otherwise.

Bronco is an average coach, maybe a better than average D Coordinator. Good luck to him as he plays the BYU faithfull to a tune of millions of dollars a year.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Once again Chris B. has provided the real fantasy comments for us. His coach, who he claims can "win BCS games" doesn't have 10 victories is the "conference of champions" in 3 years. (Maybe they forgot to include Utah when they assumed that conference moniker.) I remember the coach losing to a BCS Team in SLC that prevented them from following a greased scheduled into the PAC 12 Initial Championship Game (Colorado) and losing to the basement dweller in the MWC (UNLV). So much for winning those important games!!

I agree with dog3 that Utah plays the BCS caliber games week-in-and-week-out, but they LOSE them. And you have to admit, Washington State and Colorado, along with Utah, are all "BCS teams." That has to be included when figuring the "average" BCS competition.

How's bowling at Orchard Lanes in December working out for that same beloved BCS coach?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2013 9:04 a.m.

@toomsart,

We've been in the Prestigious Pac12 2 years. Not 3.

which is two years more in a real conference than you'll ever be in.

LOL!

• spokaloo Adin, CA
    June 27, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Good for him and BYU. To win and be successful given the restrictions at BYU is remarkable. Only two coaches in the programs history have done it. When you get one, you keep him. The fact that BYU under Bronco could be 4-5 against Utah if they win this year is incredible when you consider the teams Utah had and conference Utah is in. Given Utah's advantages in PAC 12 money, conference affiliation, and non restrictive environment, they should have a huge advantage. The fact that after this year it could be basically a .500 series between the two coaches should really worry Utah. BYU seems to be strengthening with independence and Utah seems to be fading in the PAC 12.

• AgVikBronc Preston, ID
    June 27, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@ Chris B,

2 years or 3, lack of wins still remains, LOL!!

I use to support the instate schools overall but your comments have me, and I'm sure others, now enjoying watching the Utes on their downward spiral.

Enjoy your Pac membership! (and the now accepted fact that your football team will be home for the Holidays!)

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2013 11:45 a.m.

Chris B,

2 years, 3 years---whatever. I don't think you'll have 10 total conference victories in 3 years. So we'll see.

Why no longer do we hear about the Rose Bowl???

If you want to LOL, look at the banners on the parking lot side of Rice-Eccles Stadium. Talk about insecurity and the need to prove something---you could read them from Grantsville, they're so large. Oh, by the way, where's the one saying you are PAC 12 Champs? The stadium isn't large enough to mount it, I guess. LOL!! (We know we'll never see one that you are National Champs.)

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    June 27, 2013 1:57 p.m.

Let's be real. Neither of these programs (BYU and Utah) will ever be outstanding programs. They may have a few outstanding Seasons but I wouldn't count on either of them winning a National Championship. While Bronco says he's looking to win a national championship I think he's just saying what the cougar fans want to hear.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    June 27, 2013 2:44 p.m.

How many "Quest 4 Perfection" t-shirts is Bronco stroing in his garage?

• fender Washington, UT
    June 27, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Y Grad

For once you got it right. Unlike the school to the south, Utah doesn't reward mediocrity, and it won't be enough that K Whit beats BYU year after year.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 27, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Good luck to Bronco, I'm glad he and the Y got the contract out of the way. His final year of this contract will be the next year of the Holy War, which should be epic!

Sorry to all who have to endure Chris B - he gives us real Utah fans, and fans everywhere, a black eye.

Fetch hither the football!!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 27, 2013 6:43 p.m.

gdog3finally
    West Jordan, Utah

"That said, before Utah joined the PAC, and when they had the more comparable schedule with BYU in the MWC, Utah had a much better record against BCS opponents. In fact from 2000-2010, Utah beat more BCS teams than all other non BSC schools in the country. That includes BYU, TCU, Boise State and all others in this category."

And yet, they had the worse record against the same "WAC-ish" schedule, won fewer conference championships, etc.

Utah is an enigma.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 27, 2013 7:11 p.m.

fender
    Washington, UT

Only fans of the team up north would look at the total accomplishments of Bronco and the BYU football program, and pass it off as mediocre.

Especially while proclaiming their superiority BECAUSE of their, usually very close, victories over the alleged mediocre team.

For the record, I DO think K-Whit is an excellent coach, and I think it would be a shame if the excellent things he has accomplished get flushed down the toilet because of a slow start in the PAC.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    June 27, 2013 7:27 p.m.

Don't stop, Chrissy, Naval, and you other guys! I love your illogical smak talk and your snarky envy of everything BYU. Of course, I graduated from a Real PAC 10 team, Washington, whom Utah has never beaten. But we Huskies dropped our scheduled series with BYU because ... well ... we kept getting beaten. But with former BYU QB Sarkesian as our head coach, we're expecting more this year. And we look forward to the Utah game as a much-needed respite. Too bad I have such a hard time getting UW games on TV when they play bottom feeders. I have yet to see one of those victories.

So guys, keep the laughs coming. You're funny, you really are.

• bpack88 LOGAN, UT
    June 28, 2013 5:19 p.m.

June national champions!!!

• bpack88 LOGAN, UT
    June 28, 2013 5:22 p.m.

I think Chris B's comments are funny

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 28, 2013 5:41 p.m.

When looking at the overall requirements to be the head ball coach in Provo, Bronco has done a pretty good job. In my opinion he is a good football coach despite some of his quirks. Interesting that on this article I don't see many posts from a lot of the fans that wanted him gone last year. 8 wins this year and most Y fans will be happy, 6 wins or less and it will be a different story.

Besides, if the Y got another coach, we couldn't use the Roscoe reference any more and that would be a sad day. If you have a sense of humor, you have to admit that error by ESPN was pretty funny.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 29, 2013 11:02 a.m.

What's in the stars for Bronco mendenmidmajor?

More 2-star recruits of course.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 29, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad:

"And yet, they had the worse record against the same 'WAC-ish' schedule, won fewer conference championships, etc...Utah is an enigma."

Not so my frantic and emotional little brother. Utah never played a "WAC-ish" schedule since leaving...well...leaving the WAC after the '98 season! In fact, since leaving the WAC, Utah had only scheduled 11 games against them, (posting a .769 record). Conversely, YOU guys had scheduled 45.5% MORE WAC games (going a somewhat less successful .688)
    In the BCS-era (1998-present), Utah went .577 vs. BCS teams, and .682 vs. the WAC. Conversely, our Indy-WACey little brother went .465 vs. BCS teams, and .690 vs. the WAC. So essentially, Utah has had considerably more success vs. BCS teams, while little brother has a very slight edge when facing off vs. a WAC team. So it would appear that Utah is better off playing an elite BCS schedule, while our little brother was better off back in the WAC. And while I'm not sure what you all are going to do now that the WAC is dead, you all can be rest assured that the Pac-12 will thrive.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    June 29, 2013 2:21 p.m.

NavalVet:

But which BCS teams did Utah play?
    I don't remember them playing Oklahoma in Texas.
    I don't remember them playing USC much before joining the PAC 12.

I'd be very interested in seeing some research about the quality of the BCS opponents BYU played compared to the quality of BCS opponents that Utah played. Maybe the research would back up your assertions that Utah was better against quality opponents. But I'm not going to buy it until you actually prove that the teams they played were really quality teams. Just because you belong to a certain conference doesn't make you better on the field.

One more note: I don't remember BYU ever getting shut out at home by the likes of...say...UNLV, either.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 29, 2013 7:49 p.m.

NevadaCoug:

"...But which BCS teams did Utah play?...I don't remember them playing Oklahoma in Texas...I don't remember them playing USC much before joining the PAC 12."

Utah played Wash, Wash St, Ore, Ore St, Cal, USC, UCLA, Ariz, Ariz St, Colo, Pitt, Ga Tech, Iowa St, L'ville, Mich, Ala, Tx A&M, UNC, and Ind. And while we never played Okla in TX, we still beat plenty of BCS teams that finished with a similar 8-5 record or better.

"I'd be very interested in seeing some research about the quality of the BCS opponents BYU played compared to the quality of BCS opponents that Utah played. Maybe the research would back up your assertions that Utah was better against quality opponents."

The 30 BCS teams your big brother beat finished with a .449 record. The 20 teams the Indy-WACers beat finished with a .398 record. And since .449 > .398, you are now convinced that Utah's wins were against better quality opponents than the Indy-WACers'.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    June 29, 2013 9:26 p.m.

NevadaCoug

The giant elephant in the room that Utah fans like navelvet conveniently choose to ignore is that if Utah's record against bcs/ranked teams was really as impressive as they pretend it to be, why did BYU finish in the Top 25 more often than the Utes?

Despite their spin about bowl wins, SOS, etc, etc, etc, during the most successful period in Utah football history,

Top 25 Finishes
    BYU 6 > Utah 5

* crickets *

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    June 30, 2013 6:52 p.m.

BYU vs. Utah in the Mendenhall/Wittingham era (2005-2012)

BYU vs. BCS teams: 12-14 (.462)
    Utah vs. BCS: 19-16 (.542)
    BYU vs. BCS w/winning records: 5-12 (.294)
    Utah vs. BCS w/ winning records: 7-13 (.350)
    BYU vs. BCS w/losing records: 7-2 (.778)
    Utah vs. BCS w/losing records: 12-3 (.800)
    Winning % of BCS teams that have played BYU: 174-154 (.531)
    Winning % of BCS teams that have played Utah: 224-218 (.507)
    (continued)

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    June 30, 2013 6:52 p.m.

(continued)
    BYU vs. PAC 10/12: 9-8 (.529)
    Utah vs. PAC 10/12: 11-14 (.440)
    BYU vs. PAC 10/12 w/winning records: 3-6 (.333)
    Utah vs. PAC 10/12 w/winning records: 2-12 (.143)
    BYU vs. PAC 10/12 w/losing records: 6-2 (.750)
    Utah vs. PAC 10/12 w/losing records: 9-2 (.818)
    Winning percentage of all the PAC 10/12 teams BYU has faced: 93/107 (.465)
    Winning percentage of all the PAC 10/12 teams Utah has faced: 149/158 (.485)

To me it looks like Utah has a slight edge over BYU over all BCS teams, while BYU has a slight edge against PAC 10/12 competition. Neither advantage is great enough to boast about. Indeed, neither team has an impressive team against BCS or PAC 10/12 competition. Just wanted to get the objective stats out there.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    June 30, 2013 11:19 p.m.

"As for UNLV, Utah is .875 all-time against them. You guys are .833. And since .875 > .833, you guys have no room to talk."

Actually, yes we do. You see, the team we cheer for doesn't usually lose to bad teams. I'm not going to say never, because it does happen from time to time. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure it has happened. However, one thing that BYU does NOT do is get embarrassed by bad teams. Whereas, I can easily name two smack downs the Utes have suffered: Getting shut out by UNLV at home, for one; losing at home to a Colorado team that hadn't won a road game in, what, 4 years or so, for another.

But that is beside the point. I cheer for BYU. I couldn't care less about Utah anymore. When they were in the same conference I did, because a strong performance out of conference by a conference rival is always a boost to the team I cheer for when they play each other. Some people, however, care more about belittling another team than cheering for their own.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    July 1, 2013 9:07 a.m.

The UNLV game debacle was in Vegas (not a home game).

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    July 1, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Well, gee, areen't ALL coaches trying to be the next Rodney Dangerfield? And, don't they all ALWAYS come off with great one-liners? And one more thing. Forget the one-name idea! Both names used together are so unique and even poetic. "Bronco Mendenhall" has a very nice "ring" to it. The two names go together like, well, "love and marriage" or "horse and carriage". Please don't try to change this man. He is great just the way he is. And, thanks in advance.