Utah

New Huntsman PAC suggests he's getting closer to another presidential run

Comments

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2013 7:18 p.m.

I'd vote for senior in a heartbeat, but jr. will never get my vote.

• Sandra N GLENDALE, AZ
    June 25, 2013 8:09 p.m.

No, not unless he is the choice against Hilary.

• jroberto Eden, UT
    June 25, 2013 8:11 p.m.

As a Republican, he will NEVER make it .... just become a true democrat as he truly is, maybe they will accept him ! My vote ... NEVER !

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    June 25, 2013 8:48 p.m.

The big question is, for what Party? Jon Huntsman, Jr, is certainly no Republican. And, he is certainly NOT qualified to be President under any label.

However, given the erosion of the Republican Party and refusal to actually do Republican things, he just might get the nomination. If so, that would be the final straw and conservatives would leave split from the. party that left them and it would be the end of the Republican party forever.

Watch for the media to be Huntsman's unpaid cheerleader all along the way, once again seeking to get the least qualified person nominated, and thus hand the victory to another liberal Democrat.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    June 26, 2013 4:52 a.m.

Huntsman is a republican, get over it. Just because he doesn't adhere to every issue in the republican platform doesn't make him a democrat. If the republican party becomes so closed minded as to not allow differing views and opinions the party will wither away.

Huntsman would be a terrific president.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    June 26, 2013 5:15 a.m.

He clashed with his party by playing a leadership role in NO Labels, a group promoting non-partisanship.

Non-partisanship thinking puts the people and the country ahead of the party.
    For the life of my, I don't understand how non-partisanship is a bad thing.

For the right wing of the GOP, partisanship is the goal.

Truly sad for this country.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 26, 2013 6:47 a.m.

He would definitely have my vote! I can think of only a few people that could possibly run against him that I would vote for over him. And as far as I know none of them are running. If his name is on the ballot, he has my vote!

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    June 26, 2013 7:46 a.m.

These comments highlight the problem that the GOP has today.

The vocal base wants a pure, right wing candidate. No deviation is allowed in anything, PERIOD.

Think man contributes to climate change? You're Out
    Think a gay couple could be united? Unacceptable
    Think a tax hike is acceptable if spending is cut? Take a hike
    Think Obama has done anything right? Back of the line
    Think that not every illegal should be immediately deported? You are a RINO.

How about a little leeway? Whats wrong with getting 80% of what you want?

Until the GOP allows a sensible candidate with the leeway to deviate from the hard line ideology of the far right, winning a national election is a dream.

In 2016, Huntsman would be my frontrunner. Christie would be a possibility.

But, the right would rather lose with a Rand Paul, Ryan or Cruz then to anoint a moderate with a chance of winning.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    June 26, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I don't think the country is ready for yet another Mormon running for President. It gives the appearance that the Mormon Church is trying to take over the government of the most powerful nation on earth.

Are they?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 26, 2013 9:10 a.m.

JoeBlow:

What a simplistic yet spot-on summary of the GOP. That's why I typically vote against it. However, I could see a moderate Republican like Jon Huntsman or Colin Powell winning my vote.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Intellectually, he is a good candidate, but he does not have or inspire the passion that is essential for success.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 26, 2013 9:35 a.m.

There is only one constant thread in the Republican philosophy -- lower taxes on the wealthy. What else distinguishes Huntsman from the progressives? He probably will be the Republican nominee.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    June 26, 2013 10:30 a.m.

dems could put forward a proposal allowing slavery, repubs would say no.

dems would then amend their proposal, saying only one slave per household. Repubs would still say no, but dems and their supporters on this board would say "repubs refuse to compromise, putting ideology ahead of country!" Huntsman, like hatch, would accept the dem proposal for only one slave per household so they could claim bi-partisanship and being able to work across the aisle.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 10:32 a.m.

He should have stayed in the running last election. Had he done so, I think that his numbers would have increased as the pack thinned out, and would have gotten the nomination instead of Romney. He would have been a better candidate to run against Obama. I think he might have been able to beat Obama. However, given the candidates that will be running for president this next term, I don't think he'll have much of a chance winning the republican primary.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    June 26, 2013 11:12 a.m.

Obviously many of those making comments have their head in the sand. Junior is neither a Republican nor an active Mormon and has NO chance of winning the Republican nomination. If he runs as a Republican or as an Independent he will just be squandering more of Dad's money. Those of you who think had he stayed in the race for the Republican nomination that he would have eventually won have no understanding of the political process. He had no chance of ever winning and would have just thrown good money after bad.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    June 26, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Re: "I don't think the country is ready for yet another Mormon running for President."

There's the REAL issue.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2013 12:41 p.m.

I guess I don't know the political process. I think Romney got the nomination because every other candidates bumbling, past history, or extreme viewpoints caused them to lose favor with primary voters. If it had come down to either Romney or Huntsman at the end, Romney's history at Bain Capital would have had people voting for Huntsman. I think Huntsman had a better chance winning against the 2012 bunch than he does against those that will be running in 2016.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    June 26, 2013 12:55 p.m.

I really don't care if Huntsman is an active member of the Church or not. I don't think he would have won the 2012 nomination had he stayed in the race but I do think he would have done better against Obama than Romney (even Obama's campaign staff believes so).

Hopefully Huntsman will be able to gain a following in 2016.

• RWSmith6 Providence, UT
    June 26, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Jon Huntsman's best bet, if he's interested in the presidency, is to run in a 3rd party. Moderation is sought by so many Americans that neither of the two parities in perpetual power can qualify. They're in the employ of BIG business at the expense of Americans' business. They can't see straight.

I'm not LDS, and I'm not hoping for a religious revival that favors LDS. What I am hoping is an America in which differences of opinion are accomodated, solutions to real problems presently ignored are possible, and the matter of "politics as usual" is buried alive.

Frankly, I'd volunteer for Huntsman's team if what he's offering turns out to be anything like what I've outlined! And I'm long in the tooth, VERY experienced in the way America was versus what it today is.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    June 26, 2013 6:07 p.m.

He is trying to take too big of a step; he needs to run for Hatches' seat.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    June 26, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Jon Huntsman Jr. for President?

No way he'll get my vote.

Why?

Because the man lacks integrity and courage.

News media: "Mr. Huntsman, are you a Mormon?"

Huntsman: "Well..ah...er...ah..."

I rest my case.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    June 26, 2013 10:43 p.m.

Huntsman is no different than most Mormons.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    June 27, 2013 1:28 a.m.

procuradorfiscal wrote:

"Nameless, unreasoning, unjustified discrimination against Mormons is, of course, the last remaining "acceptable" American bigotry."

Yes, and we will fight to defend our right to dislike whomsoever we choose.

• mhilton Lancaster, CA
    June 28, 2013 1:12 a.m.

I don't see him having a chance of winning the 2016 Republican Presidential nomination. Many of his beliefs are more Democrat than Republican. Also, I don't believe that the Christian right would vote for him because, whether or not he's an active LDS member, he is still associated with the LDS church. That association is what caused the religious right not to vote for Romney, which brought his dimise. He also is a no name in the Federal perspective. He should keep his politics in Utah.

• mountain man Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2013 2:43 a.m.

Before we get in a huff about donating money to candidates...did huntsman finally pay off all his bills from his presidential run? I know he kept a number of vendors with their hands out asking..Where's my money that you owe me mr. huntsman? Ok so it was only 1 or 2 million that was overdue...small pocket change for a presidential run...but none the less...why did they have to plead, beg and hound mr. huntsman to get paid?

• Spikey Layton, UT
    June 29, 2013 8:03 a.m.

He HAS my vote!!

• BB4683 Patchogue, NY
    June 30, 2013 12:32 a.m.

Looking at the other names being mentioned as GOP candidates, none are as electable as Huntsman. Christie and Jeb Bush are already going negative against Obama where Huntsman would stay on the issues and project a positive vision for the country. Obama's campaign manager admitted after Romney's defeat that Huntsman was Obama's biggest concern as an opponent in 2012; in 2016 he would have significantly more momentum and name recognition.