Utah

Harvard study links high air pollution with increased risk of babies born with autism

Comments

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    June 19, 2013 6:00 p.m.

I would love to see how "valid" this is when we look at really polluted cities like Beijing. I think that there a lots of other factors that are contributing to this and pollution might not actually be a cause at all since I don't see or hear lots of discussion about Autism in China.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    June 19, 2013 7:11 p.m.

I guess you don't know what happens to children born with birth defects in a county with "most favored nation trading status" like china?

Obviously we need to do something about this.
    I'm thinking we don't allow a Ivy League College like Harvard (Obama claims to have went there) to
    See any data from SLC, then we won't have to hear anymore about this so called science.

Must be all the clean living then.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    June 19, 2013 7:17 p.m.

I want to see the full WHITE paper study, before I make my judgement.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    June 20, 2013 6:08 a.m.

If this article was about coffee or alcohol being bad for you and causing every malady known to man, it would be accepted without question by the DN crowd.

Human nature.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    June 20, 2013 10:09 a.m.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 20, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Air pollution?

We don't have air pollution...

I saw it on Drudge.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    June 20, 2013 12:22 p.m.

To "Irony Guy" actually the SL Valley does not have some of the worst air in the nation. According to the American Lung association, the areas that have the worst year round pollution are mainly in California.

Utah only has a problem with short term air pollution. What you and many other issue driven people never mention is that we only have a few weeks per year where our pollution levels are higher than places like LA. What I have not seen studied is the effects of short term exposure to high pollution. Think of it like going to a rock concert. Yes your hearing is effected after going, but it is not permanent.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 20, 2013 1:24 p.m.

"Hm, let's see... SL Valley has some of the worst air in the nation and also the highest autism incidence in the nation. Of course, those two things would have nothing to do with each other, now would they?"

They very likely do not have anything to do with each other. The authors of this study seemed quick to point out the weaknesses in it, meaning they recognize that the association is tenuous at best.

But then, scientific merit wasn't the reason this study got published. It was published to create the "air pollution = autism" association in the public's mind so that people would accept the idea without demanding to see the acutal data. Very important if your funding depends on keeping the public scared.