Family

LDS Arizona senator takes sons on survival-type family trip

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 12, 2013 10:25 a.m.

Recent Headlines?

• CodeMonkey76 Orem, UT
    June 12, 2013 10:40 a.m.

Yeah, real "survivalist". No real danger, as they were a 30 min boat ride from a US military base (USAKA - United States Army Kwajalein Atoll) and probably had helicopters flying by twice a day taking island commuters to/from work.

(I used to live there)

• DWill Springville, UT
    June 12, 2013 11:10 a.m.

You have to admit though, that would be an awesome vacation.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    June 12, 2013 11:22 a.m.

I am LDS and taking my son and his wife to a Yankee game back here. We'll be sitting in the bleecher seats. Not THAT's survival.

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    June 12, 2013 1:51 p.m.

@codemonkey76
    You can have a survival experience in the city if you CHOOSE to do so. The place doesn't matter. What matters is how you have the experience. If they chose to not take advantage of any of the trappings of the air force base or the helicopters, then it could be a true survival experience. With my sons, we have had survival experiences not of our choosing. Those are our family legends. If you chose to survive no matter the circumstances, that is the real experience. No the place.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2013 3:30 p.m.

Probably cheaper to go to San Diego

• davs KANAB, UT
    June 13, 2013 2:17 p.m.

The Flakes are a great family! I am sure Senator Flake is very busy, so to take this time with his two youngest sons to do something unusual is awesome!

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    June 13, 2013 3:33 p.m.

Excellent story! Thank you for a bit of good news in a sad and warring world. Not the cushy-yuppie choice of Cancuns...

Maybe Sen. Flake could take the IRS with him next go & save us millions.
    While he's at it, take 76 monkies and a Hutterite. They need a life and an attitude adjustment.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    June 15, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Filo Doughboy speaks truth. LOL.

Went on a vacation with my father once. We were couch surfing (decades before it was semi-cool). No hotels. We traveled in a decommissioned ambulance. Slept in the same room. Or rather, he slept. He snores like diesel tractor with the jake-brake engaged.

Sleep deprivation can cause a form of psychosis. Survival camp on a desert island sounds far better in comparison.

I think it's cool what the Flake's did. It was structured. A little uncomfortable. Easy exit point. Smart.

Maybe my wife will agree to do this.

I asked. She suggested, sadly, that my sleep-induced psychosis may have been permanent.