Family

Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: CMT awards show: It's not about the trophies

Comments

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    June 8, 2013 12:55 a.m.

These award shows are nothing more than for a bunch of elitists patting each other on the back, telling each other how wonderful they are.

Now, I'll get back to something more useful.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    June 8, 2013 7:02 a.m.

There is a difference between respect and honor.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 8, 2013 2:56 p.m.

May I second Mainly Me's comment with a slight addition, all entertainment award shows consist of self-proclaimed elitists patting each other on the back, telling each other how wonderful they are.

We permit this because we equate money and fame however fleeting, with importance. I noted an article in Reader's Digest on the most trusted people. A huge portion are actors or "personalities" whose public persona is scripted, or an act.

No TV at the present, missed the big event. How can I go on living?

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    June 9, 2013 8:17 a.m.

I just want to know what about Taylor Swift is country?

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2013 7:58 a.m.

You can't take your trophies to bed with you, but at the same time we all need outlets and ways to use the artistic gifts we were given.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    June 12, 2013 12:45 p.m.

I enjoy the musical contest reality shows because they have taken the place of the variety shows of yesteryear. There is nothing wrong with people who have talent showing their skills. The contestants don't "pat themselves on the back" very often because the public appreciates a bit of humility and humanity along with sheer talent. There will always be critics and cynics who delight in tearing down others, including criticizing those who have the courage to perform in public. I have very little respect for trolls such as Mainly Me and Strider303. I applaud Herbert for choosing a "normal" life because nothing compares with the fulfillment of having children and a marriage to which both partners are fully commited. Carmen, don't let your talents shrivel up. Use them to influence our society positively and ignore those who are quick to shoot barbed arrows at those who seek to increase their talents and serve others.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    June 12, 2013 3:21 p.m.

Used to love country music. Can hardly stand to listen anymore. Whatever happened to Hank, Charley, and the rest of the REAL country singers?