Brandon Doman: 'Try as hard as you can, and believe'

Comments

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    June 2, 2013 9:54 p.m.

Not a big fan of the lack of success the last couple of years with the offense and I do believe a change needed to be made. But I think there is a place for Brandon and a step back to quarterback coach after a year away from football would be good. Sometimes moving up the ladder quickly causes a problem where more experience would be beneficial. I think, with time, success will follow Brandon whatever he decides to do.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 2, 2013 10:08 p.m.

Good luck to you Brandon Doman. I've always admired Doman as a man, father, and person. It's unfortunate things didn't work out better as an offensive coordinator, but he is the kind of man that will find success because of his work ethic and desire to succeed and be the best he can be. Failures and adversity always make the strong even stronger, and that will certainly be the case with Doman.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 2, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Doman was a lot better than fans and the head coach gave him credit for. Just like the first time Anae was calling plays, he was better than too many people gave him credit for.
    That said, now Doman will have a chance to really thrive. His last job was too negative.

• bigmontanan Kemmerer, WY
    June 2, 2013 11:23 p.m.

Good luck Brandon with the next stage of your life. I know you worked your tail off for BYU and the moments of appreciation from outside the program were probably rare.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    June 3, 2013 2:20 a.m.

I don't think anyone dislikes the guy as a human being but he failed as BYU's offensive coordinator, pure and simple. I know the excuses, inexperience. Injuries, weak OL play, etc., but the bottom line is that the best defensive in the schools history was pretty much wasted. Had he not locked onto Nelson, claimed he didn't care about the kid's turnovers, said he would play him as long as he "could physically play". insured Jake Heap's was gone, not made a horrible choice to play Hill in garbage time actively running the option, who knows? As the season ended, I regarded him as too arrogant to learn from all his mistakes, or incapable to doing what it took to improve. I have never before witnessed the deplorable offensive show that he ran in the Boise and Utah State games. I hope maybe garage doors, siding, or some other field might avail itself and together with the job and Brandon't abilities find great success. As a football coach, he does not have what it takes.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    June 3, 2013 2:34 a.m.

Thanks for a nice article Brandon. Thanks for trying your hardest as a coordinator and I wish you the best of luck in all the things you pursue in life. You will always be one of my favorite Cougar quarterbacks! Thanks for winning LaVell's last game.

• gotold Ivins, UT
    June 3, 2013 5:58 a.m.

Nice article about a nice guy.....maybe too many nice guys coaching at BYU! It just doesn't seem they have lived up to their potential over the last several years. Some very good players on very average teams. When I played football, we all respected and were scared to death of the coaches. Maybe all of that "tough love" has changed over the years and for the better. Anyway, Go Cougs.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    June 3, 2013 6:26 a.m.

There are always positives and negatives to any event or course of action. Successful people learn to find and focus on the positive. Brandon has done just that. Good luck, and don't let the way things ended at BYU keep you from coaching again. Lavell used to say that there are two kinds of coaches, those who are fired and those who are going to be. It is just the nature of that industry. There are many fine institutions that could use a good coach. Hang in there.

• ronk-sandy SANDY, UT
    June 3, 2013 7:29 a.m.

I appreciate this article and the thought it projects about not quitting in difficult times and about what is the important things in life, such as your kids. Thanks for the effort to show us all what you are made of. I wish you and your family much success.

• sixpacktr Murfreesboro, TN
    June 3, 2013 7:32 a.m.

I hope that Brandon goes on and excels somewhere else. I never really blamed him at all for the lack of offense. He was dealt a tough hand with the injuries and all, and I thought he did pretty well. I would have liked to see the offense opened up more, but I'm not sure we had the QB to do that (nothing against Riley Nelson).

I am a life long BYU fan, and will be until they plant me in the ground, but I have to say that BYU fans are the WORST fans in the world. They criticize every little move that happens on the field and act like somehow they would have done better in that situation. All I have to say is this: if you were that good, Bronco or Holmoe would have given you a call and asked you to coach. BYU, for the most part, puts a quality team on the field, one I enjoy watching. Bronco 'gets it' in that he understands they are ambassadors of the church (whether they want to be or not).

So BYU fans: sit down and S H U T UP and just enjoy the games!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    June 3, 2013 7:40 a.m.

I wish Brandon success in his new path. Many of us have had at least one career change (the average is climbing for each new generation) so while we may not be a fit in one place, we can succeed in another. Brandon's positive attitude, communication and leadership skills, knowing himself, etc. will serve him well. There are limits in how far you can go in coaching and it is a tough profession. This will open up many opportunities (and likely a better lifestyle) than Brandon would have had at BYU.

Good luck!!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    June 3, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Being out of work is tough. I wish him success. One bit of advice, don't make your next quarterback a player who cannot throw the ball. Also, talk and fielding punts won't do much for your on field success.

• Common Sense Czar Sandy, UT
    June 3, 2013 8:06 a.m.

Heisman hopeful? I don't remember him in the mix. Good luck Brandon in your future.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    June 3, 2013 10:02 a.m.

Whats next to belly ache about and express ingratitude. Thank you for your great example Mr Doman.

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    June 3, 2013 10:07 a.m.

We never know, Brandon Doman could end up back at BYU in one capacity or another if Coach Mendenhall leaves. Coach Mendenhall continues to just ask for three-year extensions of his contract, which forces me to question his long-term commitment to the program. I think part of it is that Coach Mendenhall is not an alumnus of BYU, which gives him no real emotional attachment to the university. If he hadn't been fired, Brandon Doman probably would've been a lifer at BYU like Lavell Edwards.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    June 3, 2013 10:17 a.m.

@NorCal,

You may be making a few assumptions about Bronco:
    1- BYU may not do more than 3 years at a time
    2- Bronco's the one asking to stay...seems BYU is lucky to have him (warts and all). I don't know who would be better???
    3- BYU alums are the only ones with an emotional attachment to BYU. That leaves out LaVell and many parents now
    sending their kids to BYU and loving it!! Kind of a 47% comment...

I'm as dissatisfied as any fan with our inability to climb, but have to be realistic given the climate in Provo and personnel available.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 10:34 a.m.

@ Common sense Czar,

Brandon was on Sports Illustrated Top Five Heisman Watch from October through December. He didn't go to New York, but Ivan Maisel had him as high as number 3 for a month.

You can google it.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 10:40 a.m.

Anyway you cut it, Brandon Doman was both a better player and Coach than anyone who listed their opinions on this page. So, go back to selling insurance, or laying sprinklers, or driving your UPS truck and be glad your weaknesses aren't the subject of news articles and comment boards.

Good luck Bishop Doman and wish you all the best. You've been a great ambassador for BYU.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 11:43 a.m.

Doman will be a great coach someday, but his style doesn't didn't gel with Bronco's for some reason. I think he would excel as a QB coach at one of the military academies.

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    June 3, 2013 11:58 a.m.

eastcoastcoug,

First, Coach Mendenhall was offered a five year contract last time and he didn't take it. He wanted only a three year contract and his agent is asking for only a three year contract right now. Second, Lavell Edwards is an alumnus of BYU. He received his doctorate at the Y, which puts him in the category of alumnus. Edwards' tenure at BYU is unfortunately a rarity today. Third, Mendenhall does make more money with three year contracts than five year contracts as long as he performs well. Just do the math. Fourth, I didn't complain about his performance as a coach. I think he's done an exceptional job. I just don't think he will be at the Y long-term. Finally, I didn't mean to downgrade the contributions of parents of students/alumni and friends of the university. I was just making a point. An alumnus coach will more times than not have a greater attachment to the university. Anae's return and Doman's long tenure at BYU are examples of the latter.

• DavidMiller Bountiful, UT
    June 3, 2013 12:30 p.m.

It didn't take long for Lightning Lad to demonstrate what Ernest T. Bass and bigmontanan were talking about...

@NorCalCougar - I know Bronco turned down a 5-year contract in favor of a 3-year contract before but where do you get the info that his agent is pushing for another 3-year contract? I don't have any inside info but Bronco has been sounding more interested in staying long term. I've been hoping that would translate into a longer contract extension.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    June 3, 2013 12:42 p.m.

I put the blame on his "failure" on the coach. Should have left him to develop as QB coach. Then when your big idea doesn't work, you just cast him out. That's not right.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    June 3, 2013 1:46 p.m.

Good fortunes Brandon. You are an outstanding person in every way. I wish you well.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    June 3, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Best wishes to Brandon and family

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    June 3, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Nice article Brandon. I walked by your football office one day and saw a picture of Pres. Hinckley on your desk. I think you have things figured out no matter what happens. Plus you will always be a BYU football legend...last second running TD in Salt Lake and a beautiful option pitch to Luke Staley for uhm...30 yards and a TD the next year!

You've got a lot to smile about.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    June 3, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Doman seems like an outstanding person. He was just too inexperienced for the OC job. Major DI OC's usually have more experience as a player or coach, are OC under an offensive minded HC, or move around a lot to get immersed in other schemes. Doman did not have that much experience as a player. He only played at BYU for two years and got half a dozen snaps in the pros. Fiver years coaching QB's was not enough IMHO.

Most coaches have to put their time in the trenches. Lance Anderson slogged as an assistant coach in D-II and minor D-I programs for 10 years and finally hooked up with Harbaugh at San Diego and then Stanford. He is still a position coach after 7 years at Stanford. DC positions come calling, but he won't hop just on any given train to be a DC. He will pick the right train.

I think Brandon needed more time as an assistant before he was given the OC reins. Bronco needs heat over that on as well.

BTW, I think Lance Anderson should be the next DC at BYU when Bronco decides to turn over the reins.

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    June 3, 2013 2:36 p.m.

BYU people keep telling us how different BYU is. This story proves that BYU is just like every other school. That's okay, just stop telling us that.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 3:41 p.m.

BYU Football has become boring to talk about....the excitement of BYU football went away; much like the 8-track player and other things that have had their day. But are no longer relevant.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    June 3, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Good coach, wrong time and not a good fit. We can argue if he is or was a good coach and or OC. I think he is a good coach but wrong fit at the current BYU situation. Was a change needed? Yes. Does that make him a bad coach? No. Coaches are as good as the players and execution. Takes time to do this. Brandon was given 2 years. Current players are mostly his who he recruited. He inherited Anae’s players and now the stakes are turned. Both coaches are capable and both have good and bad.

Reminds me of McBride and Meyer at the U. Meyer did a fantastic job but it was with McBride’s players. Kyle is struggling some but I am sure he will get it back on track.

Bronco needs to take some of the blame here but as in all businesses etc someone has to be the scapegoat when in reality others are to blame as well. This was not just a Brandon issue.

In any respect good luck to Brandon. A good man and will do well in life and what ever he wants to do.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 3, 2013 5:46 p.m.

Good luck to you in the future Brandon. No one can question your dedication or your heart.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 3, 2013 9:04 p.m.

Appreciate the well wishes and class from some of the ute fans for Doman. Thanks guys (VegasUte, U90, Two For).

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    June 5, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Each has his own garden to tend.

• poundwagon South Jordan, UT
    June 6, 2013 11:16 a.m.

Brandon Doman was Bronco's scapegoat as a result of his love of Riley and push to play Riley even when he was seriously injured. Again, Riley wasn't just hurting, he had a serious injury and should not have been on the field beginning with the Utah game. And, while inexcusable, the Taysom Hill injury was the fault of the on-field offensive staff. The only offensive coaching change that needed to be made was with the offensive line.