Doug Robinson: For Harpers, winning state titles runs in the family

Comments

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    May 31, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Is it me? or did I have a chill go up my spine learning Hawk then 35, drove Three hours to see a 19 year old girl run? I'm sorry Doug, prehaps if you rewrote your story the creepy- ick factor would diminish significantly.

• dricha65 Provo, UT
    May 31, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Thanks for the pleasant read Doug!!

What a positive and fun story to wind down to. The Harpers seam to be such an interesting and uplifting family. I really enjoy these types of stories. Thank you Harpers for sharing and thank you Doug for bringing this to the rest of us.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 31, 2013 8:31 p.m.

dricha65:

There is an age difference but nothing illegal. It worked, he won her over, they have a loving marriage, they had some outstanding children, not just in athletics but in life. Who's to judge. Great article Mr. Robinson!

• Shamal Orlando, FL
    June 1, 2013 11:55 a.m.

The Harpers are good people. Congratulation to Golden.

A name I expect to hear a lot of out of Utah County over the next 20 years is the Pachevs- The family who runs in Crocks.

• dricha65 Provo, UT
    June 1, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Eagle:

I agree with you. It looks like they have a wonderful family and I'm very impressed. I am still in awe at the families accomplishments. Aside form the athletic accolades, they just seem to be top notch people in all other areas which I think reflects great parents.

I love to see the good guys win and hope they continue their success.

I never said anything negative about an age difference nor would I. Actually, I find it refreshing that it was mentioned. My grandparent had a similar age difference and they were absolutely marvelous people. I think too often we pressure others to live within specific stereotypes and even try to distort history to make ourselves or others look "better". I think this family has a remarkable story and I hope they don't feel any pressure to alter or modify their history.

• eagle Provo, UT
    June 1, 2013 6:24 p.m.

dricha65:

I just revisited my comment and I think it was meant not for you, but BYU Track Star. I regret not my comment's contents, but it was not your comment as I was trying to rebut. I was just a bit whatever when I made my original comment on who I was responding to. Age must be getting the best of me.

But again, as a sports fan living in Utah Valley, I've witnessed the Harper's in action and know many people that know them. They are high quality people on and off the track.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    June 3, 2013 10:43 a.m.

@ eagle

The point is moot now regarding the Harpers, their fleet-footed union AND their Feet footed offspring. I remember from the prespective of a 19 year old losing a 19 year old BYU girl I was dating to a 32 year old School Teacher. From my prespective, 32 was ancient and to many 19 year olds too, 32 looks ancient. 35 seems absolutely dinosaur-esque