Utah football: Readers respond to Deseret News unscientific poll, prefer bowl game

Comments

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    May 30, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Of course this is what Utah fans would prefer. A bowl game is so much more valuable than a win over BYU. I'm not trying to marginalize BYU or the rivalry, but a wins against the PAC12 opponents is much more important now than wins over any non-conference game, including BYU. I would rather lose to BYU, Utah State, and Weber State but win the PAC12 South than go 3-0 in state and suck it up in conference. "We've moved on" is a bit cliché for Utah fans, but it is really true. The rivalry is great, but it's not the goal Utah sets out for anymore. "Win the conference" is what Whitt always has said was the goal. That now excludes BYU.

I'll take winning against BYU (and Utah has done plenty of that in the last decade), but conference wins trump all now.

It would be interesting to reverse the poll. I would suspect that more BYU fans would take a win versus Utah now, especially since they haven't tasted victory in so long.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2013 4:29 p.m.

I think that some of the responses to this poll stem merely from trying to save face over the fact that a poll came out claiming the opposite. Another thing to keep in mind is that if Utah cannot beat BYU, they probably have no hope of going to a bowl.....it is sort of hard to lose to BYU and then somehow come from nowhere and beat Stanford.

Of course BYU wants to beat the Utes. It is a practice sometimes referred to as "winning." But, that being said, I sure was glad to be able to sit and watch BYU win a bowl game last December. Let's also remember that BYU beat the Utes in 2009. It seems odd how Ute fans (@ute4ever) like to point to that like it was "so long" ago. Let us remember that that was after the famed Sugar Bowl win.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    May 30, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Of course the Ute fans are back peddling about how important it is to beat BYU. once an article was written and it became public they all changed their minds. I know plenty of Ute fans that are willing to go 1-11 as long as that one win is against BYU. especially if BYU has a great season and the one blemish is a loss to Utah. Beating BYU is the ONLY thing alot of Utah "Fans" care about. Im not saying ALL fans, but alot of them. My cousin is one of them. I am personally really glad the rivalry game is taking a hiatus. both sides just need to move on.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 30, 2013 5:20 p.m.

hobbes and vlad, because all Ute fans everywhere actually participated in this first unadvertised poll, right? And because your cousin is the official spokesperson for all Ute fans, right? I never knew about this Twitter poll, nor do I put any stock into it because nobody in my circles knew about it, and I would wager that a large percentage of the commenters here never caught wind of it, either. It's another case of the DN (successfully) making articles in the absence of any real events. I have my opinion on the subject, as do all; accusing people who presented their opinions as "back peddling" is just conjecture. What proof do you have that those individuals voted one way or the other in the original poll?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 30, 2013 6:25 p.m.

I love the wins over BYU, but that is 95% a family thing since I am the only sane person in a (large) family sea of blue. Other than family bragging rights, I would much rather prefer a bowl win.

I love how nobbes is paint-brushing all Utes with one brush. I think we should take his statement about being glad for the hiatus and make the bold statement that "of course the byU fans are back peddling about how important it is to beat Utah". That would make about as much sense!!

Go Utes!! Can't wait until August 29!! Three more LOOOONG months!!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 30, 2013 8:21 p.m.

Each game is all about conference positioning. The last game in the conference to a school 50 miles away is a rivalry.

This is now just bragging rights at the kitchen table.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 30, 2013 8:38 p.m.

At least when you win a bowl game; the oppistiion gives credit where credit is due. When you beat BYU, you are still not the better team. The officials gave you the game. The Utes got Lucky. BYU fans will do anything but give Utah credit. At least many of the ones on these threads. Heck, head to head games mean absolutely nothing in determining the better team according to the BYU Homers!!

Pretty sad when you think about it.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 30, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Spokane Ute, BYU is undefeated in their entire football history. Before 1972, they only scrimmaged, so those don't count, and since then they've won each and every game that they didn't give away (which don't count as losing). Quite impressive, really.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 30, 2013 9:27 p.m.

According to an unscientific poll, 99.9 percent of the byu fans voted in both of the Ute polls.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 30, 2013 10:34 p.m.

This has gotten beyond ridiculous. Who cares? Most college football programs have conference championships, and attending bowl games as their top priorities (and national championship for the elite programs which neither Utah or BYU can claim). The reason Utah fans obsess about BYU is that their primary goals of winning a conference championship and going to a bowl are becoming unrealistic pipe dreams, so they have to resort to beating BYU for some solace. BYU may be #3 on their priority list but when #s 1 & 2 aren't happening anytime soon, it doesn't make much difference.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 31, 2013 7:05 a.m.

So let me try.

Look, it was a Ute blog, the respondents were Ute fans, and within that context, it was an understandable, non-scientific interrest item. Take it out of context, put it in the public spotlight, and it's a little embarrassing.

Not unlike Max Hall's comments were for most BYU fans. Privately, among ourselves, to one degree or another, most BYU fans have at least a particle of the same feelings. But throw it out there in public, and most of us disavowed his remarks. As we should have.

The whole blog question was rhetorical. It was based on a straw dog. In public, most of us would refuse to answer such an either-or question because the truth isn't anywhere close to that territory.

Beating (insert your rival here) is a goal, an important one, but not the most important one.. That is what we all would prefer, given the choice. Meet as many of your goals as possible.

Fair enough?

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 31, 2013 7:31 a.m.

Fair enough?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2013 8:20 a.m.

Now I at least understand where all the byu fan-dom hype started, lol!

Y Grad / Y Dad
    "At first, I thought, "Oh, this will be an article to try to restore some balance to the Ute blog thing." Then I quickly realized, I was wrong. No balance here." lol!

Vladhagen

hobbes1012003

Utah is heading into their 3rd year in an elite conference. For the 3rd year running, a Utah sports Web Site block u has polled Utah fans asking what the most important game is for the coming season. 2011 and 2012 the byu game checked in at #4. This year, #3...723 responses to the poll. Congrats on the improvement but it clearly shows that the byu game isn't as important to Utah fans as byu fans think it should be.

That's the way it is when a school moves to the big leagues. Accept it and move on.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 31, 2013 8:29 a.m.

What difference does it make--Hillary Clinton

I don't care if the utes, or cougs ever play again. Ain't no big thing.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 31, 2013 8:56 a.m.

@worf

re: My previous comment.

Go Utes.

• Juice19 South Jordan, UT
    May 31, 2013 9:40 a.m.

I love how the Utes miss one year after several appearances in bowl games and this the leg the Cougs stand on for the trivial banter. Unimpressed by the lack of fire power and intelligence used by these so called BYU fans. The one article that has a negative connotation about "Ute Fans" and the cougs come out in droves to get the witty one liners in. Where were all of you the past three years after getting beat by the Utes? All you same cougar fans were on here beating your chest about beating the Utes. Now all you have is what game is more important to the Ute fans? This is weak. If I remember right, when the Utes announced that they were no longer going to be playing BYU, all of the coug fans were upset and the majority of Ute fans were fine with it. We've moved on. You should too.

• scott Alpine, UT
    May 31, 2013 9:55 a.m.

ekute

LOL at the usual delusional spin from the hill.

It's doesn't matter how long your win streak is, losing to BYU this year will hurt just as much as ever. Utah fans only pretend that it's becoming less important, but your actions - rushing the field THREE times last season - prove that you're nothing but talk.

If you need your memory jogged, pull up the YouTube videos of last season's game (there are many) and see for yourself just how laughable it is for any Utah fan to be claiming that beating BYU is becoming "less important".

My personal favorite is suspenders boy, but that's another subject.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 31, 2013 10:28 a.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT

"And every year that you get beat by your rival, the less important it becomes(or so you tell yourself).

Fair enough?"

Thanks for the attempt at civil discourse.

And every year that you beat your rival, the more important it becomes(but don't admit it out loud). This WILL make the Y vicotry over U this year all the more sweet. Not more important, but more sweet.

Fair enough!

• Juice19 South Jordan, UT
    May 31, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Every cougar fan has said the same thing about the annual rivalry game. The last two comments have been about wait until this year when the Y beats the U. Its the same song and dance every year. Just wait until... Or remember when... Lets live in the now people and realize that the Utes have moved on and that some of the Ute fans are still doing so. My opinion is that BYU actually does want to play Utah more than Utah wants to play BYU, simply because it's harder for BYU to make their schedule and the Utes are looking to play in easier games before their conference schedule starts up. Spin it however you want, it's very entertaining to say the least.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 31, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Juice19
    South Jordan, UT

"Every cougar fan has said the same thing about the annual rivalry game. The last two comments have been about wait until this year when the Y beats the U. Its the same song and dance every year. Just wait until... Or remember when..."

Oh, puleeaze! What would you like us to say? "Well, shazam. we've lost to u guys three years in a row, I guess there isn't any reason to bother going to the game this year. I wonder if a friendly Ute would like my tickets because I sure don't need to waste my time going to the game in Provo this year."

All the sweeter, no more important.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 31, 2013 11:03 a.m.

scott,
    I watched the video and enjoyed watching your team desperately fail 3 times in a row. lol.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    The more self righteous and arrogant the byu fans get on the on these boards, the more we enjoy our victories, so expect us to rush the field 10 times this year and tear down the goal posts.

• Juice19 South Jordan, UT
    May 31, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Richland, WA

Semantics don't really deter from your undertones. Important, sweet, awesome, better. Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig. Listen to yourself...

You've been saying the same thing over and over. STOP! Most sane cougar fans would take a win over the Utes in 2010 vs. a New Mexico bowl win over UTEP, or how about a win over Tulsa in 2011, or the mighty San Diego Aztecs in 2012.

BYU is 8-10 in since 1989 in bowl games, and is 11-13 against the Utes in same time frame. Please stop saying your odds are better based off the facts you chose to use and accept that the Utes have moved on and up. Be a fan, just don't be one of those fans.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Your emotions are running high.

I recall byu fans rushing the field in Provo and then assaulting Utah coache's wives. Then, a byu player player declaring on tv, to the delight of byu fans, how much he "hates" the University of Utah. LOL! It's clear how much the game means to byu fans.

However, since then, the Utes own byu and Provo and have moved to a better neighborhood. Utah doesn't need byu and frankly, I am looking forward to the next two years without byu. I'm hoping that type of scheduling will continue well into the future.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 31, 2013 11:40 a.m.

Juice19
    South Jordan, UT

You are only hearing what you want to hear.

"Most sane cougar fans would take a win over the Utes in 2010 vs. a New Mexico bowl win over UTEP, or how about a win over Tulsa in 2011, or the mighty San Diego Aztecs in 2012."

You will recall that the original premis was whether someone would take a win over their rival (but a losing season and no bowl) over a winning record and a bowl victory. Yes, I'd rather beat Utah than UTEP, but most sane BYU fans would prefer the winning season even if it includes a ho hum bowl victory.

"Please stop saying your odds are better based off the facts you chose to use..."

Huh?

"Accept that the Utes have moved on and up."

I'd love to. I just don't see much evidence of that.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2013 12:11 p.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad: "most sane BYU fans would prefer the winning season even if it includes a ho hum bowl victory."

Not all winning seasons are equal.

A) 2009: 6-6 in a 3 team MWC and a win over UTEP(6-7) in New Mexico Bowl

vs.

B) 2013: 5-7 PAC-12 schedule and win over BYU

So BYU fans prefer A over B. I rather OWN BYU then have a chance to OWN team like UTEP.

Why? Ask Max Hall and Lenny Gomes.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 31, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Y Dad - Did you or any of your byU "fans" actually read the original "twitter" poll? There were a total of 13 respondents to the original poll, per the twitter site. 13! You guys are so ready to swipe all Utah FANS with the same brush over the representation of 13 people responding to a VERY unscientific poll? That says volumes about byU objectivity.

Go Utes!!

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    May 31, 2013 12:33 p.m.

My guess would be that the majority of those voting for the rivalry game are not Ute fans.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    May 31, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Uteology

Your comments MIGHT be more credible if you managed to get the years and records correct.

A winning season culminating in a bowl win is MUCH better than any losing season and no bowl!

Y: BYU finished 7-6 in 2010 with a bowl win.
    U: Utah finished 5-7 in 2012 with no bowl.

Most fans would take Y over U in a heart-beat, regardless of who the wins and losses were against.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    May 31, 2013 1:18 p.m.

scott/duckunter, why don't you take a little trip on youtube yourself and watch BYUs last win over Utah in 2009. Guess what Y "fans" did after the game? You guessed it, they rushed the filed in an absolute frenzy. Please don't pretend this game means more to Utah than it does BYU. Your hypocrisy is glaring duckhunter.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2013 1:21 p.m.

@uteBusters

Y: BYU finished 7-6 in 2010 with a bowl win.
    U: Utah finished 5-7 in 2012 with no bowl.

--------------

Regardless of the year a 6-6 or 7-6 team and a loss to Utah, I wouldn't take either. I rather OWN your team over owning 6-7 UTEP.

Correction, Utah played a real schedule with no bowl. If we played your schedule we would be in a bowl.

Go ask TCU fans if they would take 11-2 MWC (2011) over 7-6 Big 12 (2012). I think MOST will tell you they would take the Big 12 competition.

But then again your a BYU fan what do you know about playing a real schedule.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    May 31, 2013 2:32 p.m.

U 90

"Scott/Duckunter, why don't you take a little trip on youtube yourself and watch BYUs last win over Utah in 2009."

LOL!

BYU fans aren't the ones claiming that they've left Utah behind and don't care about the rivalry anymore.

"Regardless of the year a 6-6 or 7-6 team and a loss to Utah, I wouldn't take either. I rather OWN your team..."

What a surprise, a BYU-obsessed Utah fan who cares more about beating BYU than about having a winning season.

"But then again your[sic] a BYU fan what do you know about playing a real schedule."

We know enough about "real" schedules to know that they don't mean diddly if U don't WIN!

As CG of Orem already posted,

"Since 2008:

Although not great, FOUR straight bowl wins and #12/#12, ur/#25 finishes is MUCH better than than TWO bowl wins and a LOSS and #18/#18, ur/#23 finishes.

• scott Alpine, UT
    May 31, 2013 2:43 p.m.

U 90

"I get a kick out of BYU fans like scott from Alpine (aka Duckhunter) reminding us that Ute fans rushed the field after the 2012 Utah victory."

Sorry to disappoint U, but I'm not Duckhunter.

Since you're not from around here, at least according to your posted location, I'll let you in on a little secret - there are THOUSANDS of BYU fans living in Alpine, UT.

Frankly, I couldn't care less whether the Utes rush the field after beating BYU or not, but to claim that you don't care about the game anymore AFTER the entire MUSS rushed the field THREE times for the same game only 9 month ago is absurd.

BYU fans will absolutely rush field after beating Utah this year, but we aren't the ones in group denial claiming that we don't care about the game anymore; we just don't care about the game to the exclusion of the entire remainder of the season.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    May 31, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Uteology

"Go ask TCU fans if they would take 11-2 MWC (2011) over 7-6 Big 12 (2012)."

bwaaahahaha!

Are Utah fans really that frantic and emotional to make a point even they aren't buying?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 31, 2013 4:42 p.m.

@StgtoSLC

Nicely Done!

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2013 5:03 p.m.

@Myperspective
    I am sure that the Utes always rush the field after a win against only the third or fourth most important team. What do you do on the most important victory? Burn down the stadium? Well.... Don't expect flames anytime soon.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 31, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Marked, when someone claims the Rose Bowl was played in Qualcomm Stadium between a MWC team and a WAC team, who is delusional?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2013 7:29 p.m.

"Since 2008:

----------

Since 2008?

Why not count Utah's best year (#2 AP) but count BYU's best year 2009 (#12 AP) since 1996?

Oh yea if you count 2008 then Utah is 5-8 with wins over #6, #7, #18, #25 BYU in 2005 and then #25 BYU in 2011?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 31, 2013 7:33 p.m.

Juice 19

Since you guys have now moved on and that this new poll confirns that bowling is now your top priority...

All the sweeter... it will be "delicious". (thanks Chris B for that word!) LOL

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Marked it Down
    Park City, UT

Uteology

"Go ask TCU fans if they would take 11-2 MWC (2011) over 7-6 Big 12 (2012)."

bwaaahahaha!

If you honestly think that TCU fans would take a mediocre 7-6 season in the Big 12 over their Rose Bowl winning 11-2 season in the MWC, you're delusional.

---------------

Giggles...

2011 MWC TCU went 11-2 beating Louisiana Tech (8-5) in the Poinsettia Bowl

2012 Big 12 TCU went 7-6 losing to Michigan State (7-6) in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bow

So please take all the time you need to find out what conference they would rather play in.

I would give up the 10-3 MWC seasons over playing the in the PAC-12 and going 8-5 or 5-7.

Going 13-0 is special, no one gives up those seasons. Specially when you beat 4 ranked teams in a season.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2013 8:33 p.m.

Vlad,
    Here's your problem - "I am sure..." You are sure about this, and you are sure about that, how about we talk some facts, ok sport? For the last two years USC topped the survey on block u as the most important game. If the byu cougars thought the stadium noise was difficult to play in last year, I can tell you that it was NOTHING compared to the noise and enthusiasm at the USC game through the first half.

If the Utes had won that game would the MUSS and the fans have rushed the field? We'll never know. You can't apply the whimsical byu fan wishful thinking and say, the field would not have been rushed because Utah fans only rush the field in a win over byu. You cannot say that...you don't know what didn't happen because of a loss.

So, when we say that the byu game is NOT the most important game on the Ute schedule, who are you to argue? Get it, now?

Good grief, you people are absolutely starving for attention.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    June 1, 2013 12:16 a.m.

Uteology

"Why not count Utah's best year..."

Because it's been all down hill since.

You're in the PAC 12 now. Nothing in your previous little boys conference counts, at least according to the silly argument that is now apparently all the rage up on the hill.

Rankings don't matter, but somehow, beating ranked teams still counts.

A 13-0 record in the MWC is no better than a 7-6 record in the PAC 12. Two of the four ranked teams U beat in 2008 were MWC teams, so obviously their rankings, as well as Utah's, were bogus.

Does that about cover it?

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    June 1, 2013 12:28 a.m.

MyPerspective

You're blaming BYU fans seeking attention for Utah fans rushing the field three times in the same game?

Seriously?

Your hypothetical mumbo, jumbo of what Utah might have done IF, is meaningless.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    June 1, 2013 4:04 a.m.

Marked it Down
    "That's like saying Utah fans would take their 8-5 season in the PAC 12 over their Sugar Bowl winning 13-0 season in the MWC."

Nobody said they would take the 2012 team over the 2008 team. So, how can you compare?

The 2008-2009 Utes beat a Bama team that nearly beat Florida for the chance to play OK in the National Championship. Utah thumped Bama. Utah had the only 13-0 season. While Florida thumped OK.

Everyone knows it should have been Utah not OK in the National Championship. There was no way in without a BCS conference.

Utah hit the ceiling twice in four years. They are the original BCS Busters. Did it done it.

Do you really think it would be wiser to stay in that position?

Now, they are in the BCS. They no longer have to go undefeated just to play in a BCS Bowl.
    You know for a fact, that if Utah was in the BCS in 2008, they would not have finished 5-8 and would have been in the Rose Bowl and perhaps the Championship. Florida was not the #1 team.

If you think the 2008 team would be 5-8 in the PAC, then the delusion is not the Utah fan's.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2013 8:47 a.m.

TroyTown
    "Your hypothetical mumbo, jumbo of what Utah might have done IF, is meaningless."

Reread my post. I said nothing whatsoever about what "might have happened". I said we will never know if the fans would have rushed the field after the USC game because the opportunity was lost when Utah lost the game. Further, I noted that the challenge byu faced with crowd noise was nothing compared to what USC had to overcome after the first half. Don't bother disputing that assertion unless you attended both games.

As for the absence of "smack" on USC blogs...you may not know this but USC fans gave the Utes a standing ovation as they left the field at USC in the inaugural Pac-12 game in 2011. USC is a first class fan base and Utah has utmost respect for USC. Note there was/is no "smack" from USC, either.

Finally, my comment regarding byu fans seeking attention is in reference to this mindless and seemingly endless drivel about the byu game being the most important to Utah fans. It isn't. Why can't byu fans, such as yourself, accept that? It isn't your call. Accept it and move on.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Rockwell
    "A 13-0 record in the MWC is no better than a 7-6 record in the PAC 12."

So, you acknowledge that the Utes have stepped up to a far more challenging slate of games since joining their elite Pac-12. Similarly, given the near identical schedule for byu until two years ago, you acknowledge that byu has played a weak schedule.

At least one byu understands what is going on and openly admits it. There's hope.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    June 1, 2013 9:25 a.m.

MyPerspective

"So, you acknowledge that the Utes have stepped up to a far more challenging slate of games since joining their elite Pac-12."

No, I was being facetious.

Utah, with their PAC 12 schedule, only played TWO Top 25 teams in 2012.
    BYU, with their Independent schedule, played FIVE Top 25 teams in 2012.

The bottom half of BYU's was less challenging than Utah's, but if Utah had been any good, Utah would have beaten Utah State and a couple of PAC teams with winning records, and the Utes would have had a winning record and would have been playing in a bowl game. It wasn't the difficulty of your schedule, it was the mediocrity of your team, that resulted in a losing season.

You had a gift-wrapped PAC South there for the taking in 2011, and couldn't get past one of the worst teams in the country to take it.

Stop whining about SOS and man up. You still haven't beaten a single PAC team with a winning record.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 1, 2013 9:46 a.m.

The utes have been good for the PAC 12. They have made more teams bowl eligible, and helped place more teams into the NCAA tournament.

A wise investment for the conference. That's why the cougs weren't invited.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    June 1, 2013 10:05 a.m.

MyPerspective

A very good team can have a very easy schedule and a very bad team can have a very difficult schedule. SOS only determines how much a team has been challenged, not how good the team is.

The current major college football system is slanted highly in favor of teams in the "major" conferences. You could put the defending Super Bowl Champions in the MAC or C-USA and they would have almost no chance of winning the major college football national championship simply because they would never be given the chance. That's why we need a 16-team playoff. To level the playing field and give every FBS team an equal chance of proving themselves.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    June 1, 2013 10:11 a.m.

MyPerspective

"Note there was/is no "smack" from USC, either."

The reason there isn't any smack from USC is they don't consider Utah a real threat.

During the depths of the Crowton era, BYU was similarly honored by USC fans after making a dramatic late-game comeback at USC.

Trojan fans reserve their smack for teams like UCLA, Stanford and Oregon.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 1, 2013 10:32 a.m.

It's interesting the qualifiers Utah fans have had to put on their responses in order to feel good about their choice.

The original question from the Utah blog tweet was this:

"If U had to choose, would you rather lose to BYU, finish at least 6-6 & a bowl game or beat BYU & go 5-7"

It wasn't a choice between beating BYU or some other team.
    It wasn't a choice between losing to BYU or going to a major bowl.

It was a choice between losing to BYU and meeting the bare minimum requirement to go to a lower-tier bowl or beating BYU and finishing with a losing record and no bowl.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 1, 2013 12:14 p.m.

@Snack PAC

Good point.

Would the Ute fans rather be independent, consistently lose to their rival, play an inferior schedule, and qualify for an inferior bowl?

So it would be fair to ask the byu fans...
    Would you rather be in the Pac12, consistently beat your rival, play a Pac12 schedule, and not qualify for a bowl.

Basically it's asking the Ute fans if they would rather of been in byu's shoes last year.

I see it an unfair dumb poll created by a byu fan, printed in a byu biased publication and intended to bait the Ute fans.

I'll take our Pac12 membership and domination over byu any day of the week.

Go Utes.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 1, 2013 12:21 p.m.

@Rockwell

Rankings don't matter, but somehow, beating ranked teams still counts.

--------------

Nope!

Rankings do NOT matter when you have a 3 game schedule and lose to all three teams (Texas, Utah, TCU) see #25 BYU 2011 (SOS #94).

Rankings do matter when you are the only undefeated team in the nation to beat 4 ranked teams, see #2 Utah 2008.

Can you see the difference, if not it's okay BYU will this year.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 1, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Uteology:

Be honest guy. Utah is the caliber of a San Diego State, or Air Force.

Competitive in the MWC, WAC, or Big Sky, but way over their heads in the PAC. They're in last place in almost all sports.

They just help the conference create more bowl eligible teams. Period.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 1, 2013 1:53 p.m.

worf

And yet they own byu. What do your comments tell you about byu's program?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 1, 2013 2:04 p.m.

@worf

Shouldn't you wait until at least one Utah PAC-12 class has graduated before comparing Utah to SDSU and AF?

Utah has 3 years of BCS recruiting, we have no problem competing against teams like Wazzu and BYU. It will take time to compete against the upper half of the PAC-12.

To be honest should you be comparing Utah when your own team is 12-13 vs BCS teams under Bronco. If Utah can't compete in a BCS conference then you have to be honest nor can BYU.

• BDBELNAP BOUNTIFUL, UT
    June 1, 2013 5:03 p.m.

TO FOCUS MORE CLEARLY ON THE SUBJECT,

This comparison of "would we rather go to a bowl game or beat byu", is, to me, a little ludacris and illogical. Being from the Pac 12, how would we expect to make it to a BCS bowl or even a bowl game without beating A non conference/non BCS opponent like BYU?? The BYU game is a very important game. The rivalry, the hatred, and the mutual desire to beat one another make the game a very special one. However, I see the BYU game as a stepping stone to a greater goal, a bowl game.

Of course we would rather go to a bowl game..,

But can you have one without the other??
    Go Utes!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 1, 2013 9:40 p.m.

gored

Owning a team would suggest not only beating them head-to-head, but overall as well.

BYU finishing with better records and higher rankings in five of the last eight years, belies U "owning" anything more than individual game bragging rights in five of the last eight years.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    June 1, 2013 10:40 p.m.

The flaw here is the poll the Deseret News conducted on the article was addressed to (and open to) both Ute AND Cougar fans. So to say that the DN poll results prove that Ute fans prefer going to a bowl game is wrong.

I'll tell it how it is: Ute fans would rather beat BYU than go to a bowl game. At least, they think beating BYU is a better indication of a successful season than actually finishing with a winning record.

My proof: Look at all the comments from the last 6 months from Ute fans. They clearly think that a win against BYU is better than bowling. They believe Utah was the better team, although they didn't even finish with a winning record. Yet they'll say USU was better than BYU because they were ranked higher. Bottom line: BYU is never better than Utah because Utah is Utah and BYU is BYU. That about sums it up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 1, 2013 10:55 p.m.

@no perspective

That you are on here so vehemently arguing otherwise is proof enough that you are....shall we say.....spinning things just a bit. Anyone that truly didn't care would never even comment let alone go to such great lengths to deny it. They just wouldn't care. You obviously care, truly, madly, deeply.

LOL!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 2, 2013 6:59 a.m.

byu fan continues to "tout" overall record the past couple of years, yet blatantly refuses to ever acknowledge SOS. UTAH has been significantly better than byu during this current BCS Era by virtue of winning the vast majority of their head-to-head games, PERIOD, END-OF-STORY. Nobody has annointed byu fan the authority to suddenly switch gears and declare head-to-head results to be somehow mysteriously irrelevant and, instead, only overall record and final ranking to "count". HYSTERICAL.

Please. byu annually plays against a weaker schedule, which is 100% irrefutable [Idaho, NMSU, Idaho State, Hawaii, etc., anybody?]

Regarding rankings, take 2011 as a prime-example. byu, LITERALLY, beat nobody of note during this season and got utterly destroyed by UTAH on their homefield in epic-fashion, to the tune of 54-10, concluded it by beating a string of well-known patsies, only to then magically surface at #25 in one, single Top-25 poll? LOL

2011, like every other year I could've chosen, was obviously voted upon by East coast voters who merely saw their final record and never even remotely conceived of actually reviewing their body-of-work, let alone actually doing so.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 2, 2013 7:17 a.m.

BTW, it should be noted that during the 15 years constituting this current BCS Era, BOTH schools have played in 11 bowl games.

However, while BCS Busting/Winning/Finishing Top-2/-4/Going undefeated TWICE/National-Stage Glory/Becoming a BCS School/OWNING byu beating them on the football-field, ANNUALLY, Mighty Big Brother UTAH has gone 10-1, while byu has struggled, BIG-TIME, just simply to merely remain above .500 at 6-5. LOL

Please. Missing our first bowl game since 2002 by merely 1 game while beating byu, yet again, head-to-head and also typically playing against a tougher SOS,, hardly qualifies it as a trend or something. LOL

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    June 2, 2013 8:43 a.m.

Uteology

"Rankings do NOT matter when you have a 3 game schedule and lose to all three teams"

LOL at the biased, jealous spin of the kids on the hill!

Either rankings matter or they don't. The exact same groups of pollsters who ranked Utah 2004 #4/#5 and Utah 2008 #2/#4, ranked BYU 2006 #16/#15, 2007 #14/#15, 2008 #25/#21, 2009 #12/#12, and 2011 #26/#25.

Who gave U the authority to decide that rankings only matter when they favor the Utes?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    June 2, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Sorry, I was tired when I wrote that last one. My bottom line meant to say that Utah fans will always believe Utah is better because Utah is Utah and BYU is BYU. They'll change the standards of comparison to whatever fits their situation.

If BYU loses to Utah in the head-to-head game, but ends the season ranked higher, Utah fans will say head-to-head is more important. If BYU wins the game, but ended ranked lower than Utah, Utah fans will point to the final rankings as the best indicator. If Utah loses the game and is ranked lower, Utah fans will point to strength of schedule (even if BYU's is stronger) and their PAC conference affiliation.

Sorry BYU fans, but there's no convincing Utah fans that BYU could possibly be better than Utah in any given year. Even if BYU were to win another championship next year, remember that Utah is in the PAC-12, and that is worth at least 10 championships.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 2, 2013 10:23 a.m.

gored

U 'own' nothing but the distinction of being invited as new-comers to the PAC10 and being lacking in production. From a disappointing and embarrassing loss to Colorado in 2011 to losing to a WAC team (Go Aggies!) who out ranked you, the utes have done little to substantiate their membership.

In addition to the above grand losses U also have the embarrassment of being out-ranked by your rival after defeating them. Overall utes have done nothing lately locally in their conference or on the national stage and... might I add... in several sports.

But the ultimate disappointment... going bowl-less.

Nothing epitomizes failure more than coming up short and not extending your football season.

Utes couldn't win enough games in their conference to make it to seventh place to play in their New Mexico Bowl let alone sixth place for the PAC's other bowl tie-in of the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.

Ouch, that was embarrassing then as it is today.

Why?

Because it's about to happen again.

'Own' that, will ya?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 2, 2013 10:38 a.m.

azute0

Want some trends?

Losing to Colorado, going bowl-less, conference leader board...4-5 then 3-6, 7-11 cumulative, losing to a WAC team, having your rival outrank you.

Since all things McWacish, Wacish, etc do not count anymore, then the above have to suffice.

Predictions for this coming season... much the same.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 2, 2013 1:35 p.m.

AZUTE1

"BYU fan continues to "tout" overall record the past couple of years, yet blatantly refuses to ever acknowledge SOS. UTAH has been significantly better than byu during this current BCS Era by virtue of winning the vast majority of their head-to-head games, PERIOD, END-OF-STORY."

Only in your crimson dreams.

Utah's two game advantage in head-to-head during the Bronco/Kyle era is trumped by Bronco's two game advantage in overall record and rankings.

Despite the desperate attempts of our little brothers on the hill to ignore reality, SOS IS considered when ranking teams and Utah's dismal performance against conference bottom-dwelling teams like Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, 10-loss UNLV and 10-loss Colorado is also used in the final rankings. Utah's LOSSES to bad teams is the primary reason Bronco has finished ahead of Kyle in the final rankings 5 of 8 seasons.

Bronco is 74-29 overall and has been ranked ahead of Kyle in the rankings in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Kyle is 70-32 overall and has only finished ahead of Bronco in the rankings in 2005, 2008 and 2010.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    June 2, 2013 3:11 p.m.

@sammyG..."I'm betting the Utes go bowl-less a second year in a row after BYU hands you a loss in Provo that you will have to live with for 3 seasons."

Why would we have to live with it for 3 seasons Sammy if they won big if there? Head to head don't matter remember? You must have forgot you have made that excuse a 1,000 times before putting this comment on there.....LOL!! Head to head only matters for cougie fans if they win the game...LOL!!

Hey Sammy/cougie fans in the last 10 years who's won more bowl games, more BCS bowl games, had more undefeated seasons and won more head to head vs. eacth other? Can one of you cougie fans please list the answers to those questions for us?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 2, 2013 4:59 p.m.

@SportsFan

------------

Obama!

Those BYU rankings are as impressive as Utah 2009 #18/#18 and 2011 #26/#23 rankings.

Like the 2011 BYU team the 2010 Ute team also only played three games and lost all three (TCU, ND, and Boise). The differnece we only got spanked by two top 10 teams (TCU and Boise).

Regardless, the 2010 Utah ranking does not matter as well.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    June 3, 2013 8:35 a.m.

sammyg
    Springville, UT
    azute0

Want some trends?

Predictions for this coming season... much the same.

_______

I agree. BYU will build upon its record of losing to ranked teams, be owned by Utah, continue to have sub-par ESPN ratings, ride the coat tails of ND, and lead the new band of indie brothers-New Mex St. and Idaho.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    June 3, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Here's a clarification concerning the polls.

The polls and rankings are an attempt to determine the best teams in the country. When the pollsters come out with their rankings, they ALREADY CONSIDER strength of schedule. Meaning, when a team is ranked #4, it is because with all things considered (strength of schedule included), they believe that team is the 4th best team in the country at the time. Final rankings show who they believe the best teams of the year are.

Do you doubt that SOS isn't considered? Here's your proof: Have you ever seen a team with a worse record ranked higher than a team with a better record, even an undefeated team? That is because the pollsters are taking SOS into account.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 3, 2013 10:25 a.m.

WACpaddled

"BYU will build upon its record of losing to ranked teams..."

And Utah will build upon its record of losing to UNRANKED teams.

That's why BYU is a perennial Top 25 team and Utah is a perennial unranked team.

In the AP poll, the poll always cited by Utah fans when referring to their 2004 and 2008 bcs teams:

BYU: Ranked in AP Poll 11 Times (Preseason), 17 Times (Final), 236 Weeks (Total)
    Utah: Ranked in AP Poll 2 Times (Preseason), 5 Times (Final), 77 Weeks (Total)

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 3, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Riverton Cougar

"The polls and rankings are an attempt to determine the best teams in the country. When the pollsters come out with their rankings, they ALREADY CONSIDER strength of schedule. Conclusion: in 2010 when BYU finished ranked higher than Utah, BYU is considered the better team in 2010."

You're using way too much common sense. The kids on the hill will never buy it, especially whenever Utah finishes behind BYU in the final polls.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    June 3, 2013 3:08 p.m.

@y grad dad,
    Maybe just keep the silliness to yourself.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 3:51 p.m.

@ Riverton Cougar

BYU didn't finish ranked ahead of Utah in 2010 and were considered the better team by nobody. Blowout losses the UNR, USU, FSU, AFA, and TCU. You guys Spanked UTEP though.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:26 p.m.

I meant 2011, the year that they ended the season ranked. The years are starting to blend together. So, I'll clarify:

In 2011 when BYU finished ranked higher than Utah, BYU is considered the better team in 2011.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 3, 2013 5:30 p.m.

Since a bowl game is the smack de jour of the byU "fans", let's compare bowl games and other realities of the BCS era:

Bowl Games
    Utah: 11
    byU: 11
    Advantage: tie

Bowl wins
    Utah: 10
    byU: 6
    Advantage: Utah

Biggest bowl wins against ranked (end ranking) opponent:
    Utah: Alabama #6

Advantage: Utah Utah Utah

AP and Coaches polls during BCS period:
    Years finished in top 25 in AP and/or coached poll-
    Utah: 5
    byU: 6
    Advantage: byU
    Highest ending ranking in poll-
    Utah: 2
    byU: 12
    Advantage: Utah
    Average poll finish:
    Utah: 12.89
    byU: 18.45
    Advantage: Utah

Bowl revenues -
    Let's just leave it as advantage Utah to save further embarrassment to byU.

No matter how you slice it - Utah is by FAR the more successful team in the BCS era.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 3, 2013 5:41 p.m.

2bcswins that mean nothing

What have the Utes done lately in their new conference?

As previously mentioned... they have provided ample wins for their brothers in the original PAC10 to further qualify them for bowl games and NCAA tournament bids.

Awesome!

The clock was reset two years ago partner. As BYU improves its schedule I hear nothing but excuses about how tough things are in Uteville with SOS and the weekly grind. Poor babies.

What's it feel like being on a ship tilted 45 degrees and slipping into the abyss?

"And the band played on..."

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 3, 2013 6:09 p.m.

@Uteanymous:

You will ALWAYS have to go back to the 1980s to have the advantage over Utah in football.

Let's talk about the BCS era:

BCS top 25 finishes, Utah 5, byU 4. Utah's highest BCS finish, #6 (twice), byU #16. And you might want to look up the definition of "perennial". In the BCS era, byU finished the season ranked in either the AP or coaches poll 6 times, Utah 5. Hardly "perennial" one way or the other. In that span, Utah FINISHED the season twice in the top 5 in BOTH polls, byU's highest finish during that span in either poll was 12.

Add to that Utah's dominance over byU head-to-head, the embarrassing disparity of players each program is putting into the NFL and, more recently, Utah out-recruiting byU both in state and out!! Oh, and thanks for Jake Murphy, Davion Orphey and Star Lotuleilei!! They obviously saw the future of the two programs!!

I'll give you the 80's, I'll take THIS century!!

Go Utes! Onward and Upward!!

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 3, 2013 10:09 p.m.

VegasUte

Nice frantic and emotional try, but how many of Utah's bowl winning teams finished in the AP Top 25?

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 4, 2013 7:47 a.m.

As I said 2 years ago when Utah was accepted to the Pac 10.2, they would be cellar dwellers most every year, maybe win the south division once every 6-8 years and then maybe win the Pac championship every other time (12-16 years). You heard it here first, after 2 more losing seasons and no bowl games for Utah, Hill will fire Kyle W. after the 2014-2015 season. RES will be half full and Utah will be back to where they were in the 80's and 90's. Forgotten nobody's! Beat your chest Ute fans about being in the Pac 12, but the writing is on the wall. Beating BYU will be the only thing you will have to brag about!

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 4, 2013 7:47 a.m.

1 other thing, even though Utah has had better recruiting classes (according to the pundits) it has not helped them much in the Pac 12. I do help Utah does well, (I know a Coug fan rooting for their rivals), but it makes the rivalry game even better. Utah needs to start winning again because the BCS wins are holding about as much weight as BYU's national championship almost 30 years ago. The recruiting will lose steam because of mediocrity.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 4, 2013 8:13 a.m.

Just the FAX
    Olympus Cove, Utah
    VegasUte

--------------

TWO: #6 Bama 2008 (11-2) and #25 Pitt 8-4 (Pitt)

The last time you beat a final bowl ranked team: See 1996, under Edwards and Chow.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 4, 2013 9:56 a.m.

DeepBlue:

"Since 2008: BYU is 2-10 (17%) versus 12 ranked opponents with wins coming against #18/#18 Utah and #16/#17 Utah State...Utah is 1-8 (13%) versus 9 ranked opponents with Utah's lone win coming against ur/#25 BYU."

Not so my delusional Indy-WACey little brother. Since 2008, vs. ranked opponents, Utah had beaten #6 Alabama (2008), #7 TCU (2008), #18 Oregon St. (2008), #25 Little Brother (2008), and then lost to #11 Oregon (2009), #12 Little Brother (2009), #9 Boise St. (2010), #16 Utah St. (2012), and #20 Oregon St. (2012). That makes us 4-5 (44.4%); not 1-8.

Utah's 44.4% > little brother's 16.7%

Edge: Utah.

HUGE edge!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 4, 2013 10:02 a.m.

TroyTown:

"If Utah fans were really as passionate about playing USC as you claim, why was there absolutely ZERO smack on USC blogs here in LA prior to the game?"

That would be because, unlike our Indy-WACey little brother, we actually RESPECT the Trojans. Unlike our Indy-WACey little brother, they have a winning record against us. Unlike our Indy-WACey little brother, they don't create fake handles "pretending" to be USC fans, but rather are REAL Trojan fans.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 4, 2013 10:05 a.m.

@Just the FAX

Moreover...

FACT: During the BCS era, 36% of Utah’s bowl teams were ranked in the AP top 25 and 55% in the top 30:

2003:
    Utah 17
    Southern Miss 0 (AP #28 … final #42)

2004:
    Utah 35
    Pitt 7 (#19 … final #25)

2005:
    Utah 38
    Georgia Tech 10 (#24 … unranked)

2008:
    Utah 31
    Bama 17 (#4 … final #6)

2010:
    Utah 3
    Boise 26 (#10 … final #9)

2011:
    Utah 30
    Georgia Tech 27 (#30 … unranked, while #29 BYU beat Tulsa and finished #25 Coaches)

FACT: Over the same period BYU beat “Bowl" Diddly Techs.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 4, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Riverton Cougar:

Really? Utah fans? Seems to me that this would be a more accurate depiction of the INDY-WACey fans. Afterall, Utah had been WINNING the head-to-head game, yet its been Y fans who have been pointing to the final rankings. Typical hypocritical coug.

"If BYU wins the game, but ended ranked lower than Utah, Utah fans will point to the final rankings as the best indicator."

When had this EVER happened? You made that up. How frantic and emotional of you.

"If Utah loses the game and is ranked lower, Utah fans will point to strength of schedule (even if BYU's is stronger) and their PAC conference affiliation."

When had THIS ever happened? You made THAT up too. How frantic and emotional of you.

Two frantic and emotional points, PLUS a blatant demonstration of hypocrisy, all in the same post? This must be the MOST important game on your schedule.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 4, 2013 10:55 a.m.

Just the FAX:

"A mediocre team beating another mediocre team in a bowl doesn't mean much if you aren't even good enough to be ranked."

Does that include the 2012 Poinsettia Bowl?

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 4, 2013 12:53 p.m.

@Naval Vet

I don't know if my last comment made the sight, but in a nut shell Utah has dominated BYU since 2000. A few numbers, Utah's record 109-51 BYU's 106-57. Wow, through Utah's golden era they have a whopping 3 more wins in 13 years. Maybe we should go back 13 more years, I'm SURE Utah was that close to BYU's record. Head to head Utah 8, BYU 5. You got us there again. Utah has DOMINATED us like BYU use to in the 80's and 90's. Wink, wink! Last 13 years Utah has been ranked higher than BYU 4 times, BYU has been ranked higher than Utah 5 TIMES!. That can't be right, Utah has been WAY BETTER than BYU no way they should be ranked higher than Utah. Don't through out the strength of schedule crap either, from 2000 through now the out of conference schedule would embarrass Utah. Notre Dame, USC, Virginia, FSU, Syracuse. That right their tells you a lot about how each program is percieved.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 4, 2013 1:12 p.m.

Point I want to make. Yes, Utah has better than BYU over the last 13 years. But chest pounding dominate, not even close!!! Barely better than BYU. If you want chest thumping, whose your daddy dominate go back 25-30 years before that and BYU's dominance over Utah is what it looks like. How many big time teams has Utah gotten to come to RES before they joined the Pac-10.2. How many big time non conference games has Utah even had in the last 30 years? How many times have they played the elite programs (not just in bowl games)? Naval Vet and all other Ute trolls have Cougar envy because their best is not much better than BYU's normal and that eats at them. If Utah can dominate us like BYU dominated them for 30 years then you can pound your chest, but until then please don't bring weak arguments into the discussion until you can TRULY dominate BYU.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 4, 2013 1:28 p.m.

sammy g:

A byU "fan" asking what Utah has done lately? That is truly genius!! byU fans can't talk any smack without having to go back to 1984!! Truly genius!!

You trollers just keep me in stitches! Thanks for the entertainment.

Go Utes!!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 4, 2013 1:33 p.m.

idaho cougar fan:

"If you want chest thumping, whose your daddy dominate go back 25-30 years before that and BYU's dominance over Utah is what it looks like."

Obviously, Utah is the most important game on your schedule. Otherwise, you wouldn't have felt the desperate need to relive the rivalry "25-30" years ago.

[*NOTE: "25" yrs won't far back be enough. Utah leads the last quarter century 14-11. You need to go all the way back to 1984 to retake the lead, and PRAY that we don't beat you again in the Fall. *]

There are no "weak" arguments from me. I either always support my position with facts, or COULD support them when challenged on its validity**. Just because you don't "like" them, that doesn't make them "weak".

** Often my "facts" had been supported/proven in prior posts, so I don't always feel compelled to repost them, but when challenged, I can repost them [DNews moderators permitting].

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 4, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Idaho cougar fan: 54-10 in your house with your 4 star latest-and-greatest QB. Chest pounding dominance if I ever saw it!! byU's last win: byU with their all-time winningest QB senior against the freshman Ute. Overtime win. Not much to hang your hat on there.

Why do you byU "fans" STILL have to go back three decades to have anything to talk smack about? Your 15 minutes of fame is up. Move on!!

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 4, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Vegas Ute,
    Thanks for that chest thumping moment. BYU has been there and done that many times to Utah.

Naval Vet,
    Never said your arguments were not backed up by fact, just said they are weak. Just as weak as my argument over head to head was. Fact is when a BYU fan post something that you "don't like" you attack that and sometimes make it personal. Just like I said on my post prior to these ones, after 2 more losing seasons and no bowl games, Hill is going to fire Kyle and the only thing Ute fans will be able to thump the chest about is the 13 year period where they dominated BYU in which they won 3 more games and head to head 3 more times. All that and BYU was still ranked higher 5 times to their 4 times during that span. Like I said, pretty weak stuff.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 6, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Idaho: Uh, you have to go back to 1989! Once again you byU fans having to go back decades to talk smack!! Welcome to the 21th century

Go Utes!!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    June 6, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Naval Vet,

First of all, let's have a little English lesson. Note the sentence structure of my sentences that you quoted and the words I used. They had the words "If . . . . then . . . .". That means that if one thing happens, then another thing will happen as a result. I don't think you get this. I'm trying to see in my post where I said that the events HAD happened; I was saying what would happen in each situation.

In fact, my first comment was "If BYU loses to Utah in the head-to-head game, but ends the season ranked higher, Utah fans will say head-to-head is more important." That happened recently, and you proved my point as to what Ute fans' reactions would be. Thanks.

My next points are hypothetical scenarios that predict how Ute fans will respond based on past behavior. Yes, you correctly pointed out the hypocrisy in the behavior, but failed to recognize it as Ute fan behavior.

Anyway, the fact that BYU can still lose to Utah and have a successful season proves that the Utah game isn't the most important. A loss to BYU would devastate Ute fans!