BYU football: BYU, Bronco Mendenhall still discussing contract extension

Comments

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 25, 2013 6:07 p.m.

It's gotta be a short list of good candidates who could coach BYU football. It is an extremely difficult task (missions, Honor Code, fan expectations, counseling etc) at well-below-market pay.

I think for the most part, Bronco has done a very good job with the hand he has been dealt, and he has kept the program relatively "clean". Yeah, he frustrates and irritates me sometimes, but he is the best guy for the job, and I think we fans should rally around him.

I have a hard time believing that Holmoe is looking for a replacement this late in the year. I suspect the current impasse is a matter of Bronco wanting more money (or closer to market value) than what BYU is willing to give him.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Bronco really should go but he won't. There is probably nobody else who would want to be a BYU coach or would qualify. Very hard needle to thread.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 25, 2013 7:38 p.m.

We have seen the ceiling with Bronco so I hope he stays because I know it drives Cougar fans up the wall.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2013 7:39 p.m.

Please sign him to a life time contract.

As a Utah fan, Bronco is the gift that keeps giving.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 25, 2013 9:13 p.m.

If Kyle ever became available then bronco would be begging him for a job as an assistant at byu.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2013 11:10 p.m.

Are there really more BYU haters than fans commenting on this article right now? Yes, sadly it seems that way............

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 25, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Ute fans just love this type of article. I can hardly wait to see what happens in the basement of the PAC 12 this year, if Utah will be abover or below Washington State and Colorado. Every team inthe PAC 12 was happy when Utah was invited; it was almost certain victory, even to the worst road team in the country when they played in SLC. Two years later and Utah hasn't won enough games to guarantee that they will have 10 conference victories by the end of the third year. They might, but they also might not.

Losing to Colorado reminded me of when they lost to UNLV. I wonder: who won the most MWC Football crowns in the history of the conference?

Who didn't go to any kind of bowl game last year and likely won't this year either? (Hint: They won two BCS games a while back but no Heisman or National Championship.)

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2013 11:58 p.m.

True blue BYU fans love the coach and all he does -- Go Cougars! Stay, Bronco!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 26, 2013 12:19 a.m.

Yes, that type of article. Nothing to talk about if you are a cougar fan, but open season for snark from the anklebiters on the hill.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 26, 2013 12:28 a.m.

For everyone who is saying Bronco should go . . . I'm as dumbfounded with the Riley Nelson situation as anyone, but who would be a better candidate for the job that would WANT it? When I say better candidate, I mean everything that comes with the territory of being the BYU Football head coach, including recruiting within the smaller pool of the Honor Code, representing the LDS Church well, and winning within those parameters. Football is fifth for the BYU Football program because that is the way the LDS Church WANTS it. When you put all of that in perspective, I really can think of no one who can do all of those things better than Bronco Mendenhall. He really is the guy for this job, unless someone can prove me wrong and name someone else.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    May 26, 2013 12:45 a.m.

I have always liked Bronco as a coach and then last year my son was invited to be a Thursday Hero. After watching the way he and his staff treated my son and the kindness and compassion the entire team showed my son and our family, I became even more of a Bronco fan. This is a man who gets the big picture.

I also feel strongly about Kyle Whittingham at the U. I had an experience where he was a speaker at an event where my other son was honored for saving the life of a drowning child. Coach Whit was amazing. A sincere and kind guy.

By the way, my sons are not perfect. I just wanted to explain my thoughts.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 12:47 a.m.

7 months left on his contract, invited early to submit his proposals, Free hand to reorganize his offense, and the hecklers are already in a froth? Get a life guys.
    Wake me in August.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 26, 2013 1:14 a.m.

The one who should be the focus of discussion for departure is Tom Holmoe... I think that he has done more to hurt BYU football than he gets credit for... Had Samuelson and Holmoe been really working for the betterment of BYU's future in sports they would have done everything shy of agreeing to play on Sunday to get us into the Big 12... I think Holmoe has little to no rapport with other ADs from BCS Universities and it is hurting us...

As for Mendenhall, I think the guy has done a decent job... He tool over in a tough situation as the program was in free fall under Crowton... Mendenhall has brought back the winning tradition and he has the no baloney demeaner that Lavell use to have... When he tells you something you can pretty much take it to the bank... And, he doesn't duck the tough questions... If you are a recruit, that's what you want from your coach... Although he could show a little of the light side once in awhile and he seems to have a tough time with that.

I say keep him even if it means 11% tithing.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 26, 2013 5:18 a.m.

I'm intrigued by something Coach Mendenhall said in this article: "It's not only in how we play football, but why we're playing the game and for what we believe. "

Can someone help me with the "why we're playing the game" part of the quote?

• sixpacktr Murfreesboro, TN
    May 26, 2013 6:55 a.m.

Bronco is the right guy for the job. Think he is a great coach and a great leader of and example to young men. Looking forward to many more years of watching Coach Mendenhall at the helm...

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    May 26, 2013 7:26 a.m.

Bronco Is a lightning bolt with his quirkiness, t-shirts, silly sayings, etc. He's done a good job for the situation. It is hard to be competitive every year when the honor code doesn't allow the best athletes to come to BYU. Bronco has been competitive each year.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 26, 2013 8:05 a.m.

I wonder how many BYU fans would comment on a Whit contract story? I'm sure we would not see as many classless comments as this story has garnered.

Congrats to those that felt it important enough to share their hatred towards a good man.

If Whit goes bowl-less this fall we can only imagine how the fickle bandwagon "fans" will react to one of their own.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    May 26, 2013 8:16 a.m.

I certainly agree that Coach M represents his constituency in an outstanding manner, especially in terms of dealing with the various challenges to recruiting inherent in the BYU chemistry.

Should be no doubt there will be a meeting of the minds and he will remain at the helm.

No coach, however, is perfect. Red or blue, stuff happens, and especially in terms of injuries. Both the Y and the U had injury-punctured seasons last year, resulting in numbers that were not representative of expectations.

But you never see anyone tossing in the towel. We can see both coaching staffs reacting this Spring, responding to perceived needs, and attempting to put the best combination of skill and playmaking on the field.

So I personally don't much care for the haters on each side and their often ridiculous commentary, but prefer to acknowledge the character and skill that results in exciting football and seeing their young men succeed and go forward with the rest of their lives.

If you want to hold Coach M to that standard, he gets an "A" in my book. Pretty sure he'll be there after December 31st.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 26, 2013 8:37 a.m.

BYU fans complaining about Ute hecklers on this article? Really? Read the comments on three of the most recent DNews articles on the Utes, the article on Karl Williams, the one on the Polynesian players at the U, and the one on the possible expansion of Rice-Eccles Stadium. A good portion of comments are from BYU fans (I mean, byu "fans" as duckhunter would say) taking jabs at the U.

It goes both ways.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 26, 2013 8:55 a.m.

You got to love the Ute trolls. Their comments here in reality are an exercise in futility and fantasy. For me, their comments are just plain amusing.

Here is a dose of reality. Both Athlon and Sporting News (you know the guys who are professional national sports writers) both rank Bronco higher than Whit on their D1 coaches lists. I am not nor will I attempt to minimize what Whit has done (unlike what many Ute trolls do in their childish attempts to cut down Bronco). Whit is a fine coach and man, but Bronco is listed higher. Sorry if you don't like it.

In comparison, Bronco has a better win percentage and more bowl wins than Edwards at the same point in their coaching careers at BYU.

Oh, by the way, Athlon just listed college football's top 25 dynasties. BYU is on Athlon's list. I looked for Utah, but I just did not see the Utes there. Sorry again.

Bronco is doing just fine and what will happen will happen.

• Wendall Hoop Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 9:12 a.m.

Re: toosmartforyou - for a fan base that is keen on living in and referencing the past, and then forecasting the future, I would remind you of what Utah has done in recent years and the fact that it's in a conference that at least allows them to contend for a real national championship. If you want to mention yours in 1984 (when no true championship existed, let alone not against a 6-6 team), then Utah has 2, thank you very much. I would also recall the past 10 years where Utah won 7 games compared to 3 for byu, and with a 101 point differential. Wow that's all I can say.

All that aside, Bronco has been a great coach for the program considering what byu truly wants to accomplish. Few players have been drafted, but there are honestly more important things than football and he's tried to have a bunch of kids who can go into the world and be good fathers, have good careers and live the gospel. I respect that.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 9:12 a.m.

Hope you can work things out, Bronco. You and BYU are ensigns among collegiate sports.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    May 26, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Bronco has changed lives. His program is exactly the kind of program that makes the world a better place, on and off the field,. He not only talks the talk, but he, and his players, walk the walk.

There may be other men of his caliber somewhere in the world, but they would be hard to find.

Bronco is an asset to BYU, to the fans, to the team, and to countless people who have been inspired by the firesides held. Boys, who have been told that sports "heros" are allowed to act like animals, see things as they should be when Bronco and his players hold those firesides. Boys see that there are men in this world who believe in principles, who live those principles, and who respect the God who gave us those principles.

Money is part of the game. BYU reaps millions in revenues because of the football program. Pay Bronco a fair and just wage. He's part of the reason that those millions flow into the university.

• Rirruto Nampa, Id
    May 26, 2013 10:26 a.m.

Lets try this: Utah fans use reverse psychology on BYU fans to try to get us to think you like Bronco because he isn't a good coach. BYU fans, point out the fact that even though Utah fans have more recruits every year, according to scout.com we still beat you in recruiting. 2013 BYU ranked 30th. 2014 BYU ranked 35th. 2013 Utah ranked 59th, 2014 Utah ranked 44th. I think we still ranked higher, but Utah fans will claim we don't. They had more recruits, due to the fact that more(not all but more) of our recruits go on missions. Next, lets look at the fact that our Defense(which is directly related to Mendenhalls abilities as a coordinator) ranked in the top 5 in the nation last year. Our Offense was suffering under a mediocre offensive coordinator.

Conclusion: Ute fans can talk all you want, but it doesn't make it truth(enter anti Mormon comments from Ute fans now).

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Bronco is the best coach in the country and is loyal to his coaches and players without a fault.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 10:46 a.m.

@Utah 95
    As I believe your question is sincere I will try and answer from a fans perspective and what I have heard and learned from Coach Mendenhall's philosophy.
    BYU is attempting to train up men and women of character and rightousness. Great scholars, thespians, innovators, and leaders in all professions is a hoped for by-product but not the absolute goal. The football team in Bronco's model is not trying to make NFL champions first but only as a hoped for by-product. The goal is to have people who have character in initiative, self motivation, integrity, patience, determination, goal oriented, and a dedication to excellence for excellence sake. It is his belief that good, rightous men, taught discipline and integrity can preform at a higher level than those of greater talent but not finely honed character. A school with both would be great but the world has few schools with both.
    Why does BYU play football? To demonstrate that the gospel doctrine that we are to strive to be perfect in eternity in all facets (not there but striving) is better than
    just being blessed with raw talent that is undisciplined. It's not about football.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 10:59 a.m.

@Utah95
    Coach Edwards when asked why his team got beat by a team with more talent said, "They put on their pants just like we do, one leg at a time. They just have faster pants than we do."

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 26, 2013 11:42 a.m.

bronco is the best byU can do and he wants to stay, so give him what he wants and sign him.
    What do we Ute fans care? We've owned you guys on the field before and since he's been there.

The honor code is just a crutch...If byU was one of the best programs then the "best athletes" would be there.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    May 26, 2013 12:45 p.m.

@GoRed

I'm sure it goes both ways, but I do my part by only commenting on BYU articles. If anyone complaining is off trolling on Ute articles, then they are hypocrites and deserve to receive a little heckling. As for us BYU fans who don't go on Ute pages and comment, I feel like we can bring up the Ute trolls on our pages. That being said, I don't think you're trolling, just informing, so it's not a big deal that you're commenting here. Just my two cents anyways.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 26, 2013 1:34 p.m.

Über pleased with bm signing on for life, in addition to all other UTES everywhere, would be Coach KW, himself. He straight owns bm on the gridiron.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 26, 2013 1:52 p.m.

@sky2k1

As for me...You're welcome to comment and/or "troll on Ute articles anytime.

Don't be so serious...Poking, jabbing and elbowing opposing fans is part of the fun of being a sports fan.

Go Utes.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 26, 2013 2:18 p.m.

I want Bronco to stay because he keeps his players motivated in all areas (on field, in church, in class rooms and outside). He may not be perfect during each games and I am sure that Robert Anae will carry all the offense side while Bronco will on his defense side. Bronco fits perfectly here at BYU and how many lds football coaches would come here at the Y? Don't be calling Gary Crowton which was a big mess in HC. I am not sure how long Kyle Whit will stay at U if he continues to be last place (or mid) and if he does come here then Bronco may not mind going back to D Coach.

• Mareao Bountiful, UT
    May 26, 2013 4:37 p.m.

As a cougar grad, and lifelong fan; I have enjoyed 8 great years of Bronco football, and hope to enjoy many more. He understands what BYU Football is all about, and continues to deliver with enthusiasm and grace. Thanks Bronco. Please stay with us.

• texor Round Rock, TX
    May 26, 2013 5:09 p.m.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 26, 2013 5:38 p.m.

texor
    Round Rock, TX

"@Pac12Fan, you can't get any quirkier, stupid/silly sayings manufacturer, whatever, than your fellow Pac12 coach, Mike Leach. Mike is in the Hall of Fame in that category. I'm Adam James and I approve this message."

Didn't Mike Leach attend byu?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 26, 2013 5:51 p.m.

@ekute
    "What do we Ute fans care (about what BYU does with Bronco)?"

Exactly!

Please answer your own question! Because you obviously care a great deal.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    May 26, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Bronco: 3-5 vs Utah

Can we get a lifetime contract with this guy?

• Please Fire Bronco Provo, UT
    May 26, 2013 5:52 p.m.

We want a coach not a fireside speaker

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 26, 2013 7:00 p.m.

@idablu

Absolutely, I care about what happens at byu. They are the tenants of my Faith, I grew up in their shadow, and they're the arch rival of the team that I support. Since they're the arch rivals of my team, I enjoy jabbing at their fans.

I don't care what byu does with bronco because he's not a threat to Utah.

The standards at byu are not what keeps the "best athletes" away. re: Notre Dame.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 26, 2013 7:05 p.m.

Some of you are having a lot of fun thinking you are being witty, but some of you are crossing that line from from sports smack to ignorant and/or nasty.

So I will try hard to stay on the proper side of the line. Call me out if I blow it.

Please Fire Bronco
    Provo, UT

"We want a coach not a fireside speaker"

Can we please fire a few fans? If you don't want a fireside speaker, go be a fan of a team that only values wins and nothing else.

To too many Ute fans to cite specifically, might I just point out that your joy in life is dangerously skewed. If KW gets another win against BYU, and finishes at or near the bottom of the PAC whatever, U will be looking for a new coach quicker than BYU.

Not exactly what you were hoping to beat the Y at.

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 7:19 p.m.

I highly doubt the BYU administration is trying to pay Bronco less than what Utah pays Kyle, even though ANY coaching position at BYU should be strictly a church calling with minimal compensation. What is more likely influencing this is some on the BYU Board of Trustees feelings on this matter which means BYU as well as Utah are in a financial postion to pay head coaches 3-4x what Utah State could pay to keep a highly successful coach like Gary Andersen from jumping ship and moving onto Wisconsin. That said I'll stand by my past comments that the bretheren should rally around those that wish to discontinue football at BYU and be putting together the end play strategy to closing down and droping the football program. If BYU wishes to continue athletics, then it should be within what the WCC offers. But this should also include head basketball coach Dave Rose NEVER being paid more than what Utah State can afford to pay Stew Morrill or his successor.

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    May 26, 2013 7:38 p.m.

We're lucky to have Bronco. He's rated among college football's best coaches. Bleacher Report ranks him at the number 7 college football coach with the most "swag". It's a good assessment of how he ranks among the best coaches in the game today.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    May 26, 2013 8:30 p.m.

Yes, there are BYU hecklers but do you really believe there are more BYU hecklers than Ute hecklers on the DN comment boards? If you believe that then you haven't been on here enough. As a BYU fan, I wish BYU fans don't give in to the temptation to trash like Ute hecklers. Haters are going to hate plain and simple. Now props to those Ute fans who are classy on these boards. Yes, there are a few. I wish there were more of you.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2013 8:56 p.m.

idablu

"Also do you honestly think that if Utah had the same Honor Code and academic restrictions as BYU has in their recruiting, they (Utah) would be sitting in the Pac12 right now? Not a chance."

Actually, yes...Utah would be sitting in the Pac-12 because the invitation from the Presidents and Chancellors of the Pac-10 schools had nothing to do with the factors that you list. Every school in the country has an "Honor Code" and academic "restrictions" for athletes.

byu fans give Mendenhall tremendous latitude to make excuses. Little to nothing is required to take an academically successful kid and turn out a college graduate. Conversely, a program that teaches a young man to apply himself and develop into a college graduate...now, that's a program that has changed a life.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 26, 2013 9:05 p.m.

@Mark321

Agreed, hecklers on both sides.
    From my point of view we Utah fans enjoy our Utes, the Pac12 and heckling the byu fans,
    While the byu fans get all arrogant, frantic and emotional when ever the Utes or any other opponent has the upper hand on the field of play, in the stands or on the comment boards. In other words, you guys are poor sports.

Go Utes.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 26, 2013 9:06 p.m.

The higher level of execution is amazing.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    May 26, 2013 9:27 p.m.

Interesting that Bronco has recently become more cooperative with the press, especially since Robert Anae came to show Bronco how being acerbic with the press can hurt you. I suppose he is also more engaging with the press because of the contract negotiation.

Perhaps the best thing he can do is get rid of his management coach. If that guy was coaching him through the Riley Nelson situation he only hurt Bronco.

All that being said, BYU should stick with Bronco; he has done a pretty darn good job transitioning through a lot in the last few years. He has a strong winning record, except with Utah. If he can get on top of the Utah game he would be considered as strong as LaVell.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 26, 2013 9:28 p.m.

I honestly doubt he hasn't given it any thought since he first expressed interest in staying "a while longer". You don't just go back to work not knowing if you have a job after the first of the year. Also - Bronco obviously doesn't want to stay long term at BYU. He only wants to extend his contract a little while longer? What is that supposed to mean? If I am BYU I am looking elsewhere for someone that wants to be the Football coach long term - not this year to year stuff. If I am a recruit I am staying FAR AWAY from BYU because you could sign with the Y only to find yourself with a new coach in a couple of years and then you have no idea what to expect. I am surprised the Y doesn't understand this. So long as they keep hanging on to a coach that won't commit long term then they will NEVER land top recruits. If Bronco wants to coach a BCS conference team then go do it .... BYU will never be in the BCS.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 26, 2013 10:15 p.m.

patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT

Since you seem to have a sincere opinion, let’s share honest differences of opinion.

“I honestly doubt he hasn't given it any thought since he first expressed interest in staying "a while longer". You don't just go back to work not knowing if you have a job after the first of the year.”

You are all too quick to think that Bronco lies through his teeth, or is at least disingenuous to the extreme. I think Bronco is sitting on several million bucks, and riding his Harley, surfing, and giving the occasional motivational speech looks pretty good, but shaping the character of young men on the field of competition looks a little better. Thus, he hasn’t given it another thought. Plenty to think about when you are a head coach.

-cont-

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 26, 2013 10:18 p.m.

patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT

-cont-

“ Also - Bronco obviously doesn't want to stay long term at BYU. He only wants to extend his contract a little while longer? What is that supposed to mean?”

I don’t know, you tell me. What DOES it mean? You don’t know either. But I bet administration does. And his agent does. Nobody else needs to know.

“ If I am BYU I am looking elsewhere for someone that wants to be the Football coach long term - not this year to year stuff. If I am a recruit I am staying FAR AWAY from BYU because you could sign with the Y only to find yourself with a new coach in a couple of years and then you have no idea what to expect. I am surprised the Y doesn't understand this.”

-cont-

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 26, 2013 10:27 p.m.

patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT

-cont-

I'm surprised you don't understand that contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on, either to the coach OR the school, and especially the recruits. Utah is still paying for several basketball coaches it gave long contracts to before showing them the door, and Utah State may have been compensated for a broken contract, but it didn't keep them a coach.

"So long as they keep hanging on to a coach that won't commit long term then they will NEVER land top recruits. If Bronco wants to coach a BCS conference team then go do it .... BYU will never be in the BCS."

If Bronco WANTED to be at a BCS school, he would be at UCLA. And perhaps BYU admin is satisfied landing top character recruits. If I have to choose between character and raw talent...

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 26, 2013 11:37 p.m.

@my perspective

You don't even make an honest argument. Name me one D-1 school besides BYU at which if a student drinks alcohol or has premarital sex, they could be kicked out of school. You and I both know that not all Honor Codes are the same.

Also I know of a recent Top 10 NFL pick who originally wanted to go to BYU but was unable to meet their academic standard but was able to meet Utah's. BYU will never be on a level playing field in recruiting with most D-1 schools because of the afore mentioned. But you're right that even without the HOnor Code and Academic Standards, BYU wouldn't be able to fill their roster with 4 and 5 star athletes.....,but neither does Utah nor most of the PAC 12 schools.

Neither BYU nor their fans have ever claimed to be an elite football program. That all comes from you trolls. But BYU has done pretty well with what they have. And that is alright by me.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    May 27, 2013 12:29 a.m.

74-29 overall. That works out roughly to winning 75% of all games played. Overall Bronco has done a decent job. If he wants to stay let him stay. I can't imagine anyone doing any better.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2013 8:15 a.m.

idablu
    Agreed. byu's honor code is different but every school does, in fact, have a code with which students are expected to comply. The point is...if Utah had the same "Honor Code and academic restrictions as BYU has in their recruiting..." they would still be in the Pac-12. Those factors had nothing whatsoever to do with Utah's invitation to their elite conference.

In addition, if the "Top 10 NFL pick" you refer to in your post is Star, then you need to become acquainted with the facts of the situation. After Star raised his academic standing at Southern Utah, he had scholarship offers from both Utah and byu. He chose Utah. End of story. If, on the other hand, your "Top 10 NFL pick" reference is to someone other than Star, then I have no idea what you are talking about and most likely no one else on this board does either.

• AmericaV Huntsville, AL
    May 27, 2013 9:19 a.m.

Bronco is the best thing that has happened to BYU football in a while. A good leader and willing to try something new. Already, BYU is on the verge of not being relevant in college football due to the conference alignment situation. BYU can't get into any other conferences yet. However, that may change as other conferences look at the LDS Church's more gay friendly stance. It will be interesting to see how the whole thing shakes out.

• JB Provo, UT
    May 27, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Sure doesn't take long for the trolls to come out of the woodwork..what no news for that other school up north?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 27, 2013 10:40 a.m.

The university of Utah was selected by the PAC 12 because they are a tier 1 research institution that landed them in the SLC market (34th largest TV market), and had no religious affiliation or conservative agenda. There need be no argument that BYU didn't meet those qualifications other than the media market.
    I think given the circumstances with the honor code and missions, and the talent BYU can get with those limitations, bronco has done a great job and like always some BYU fans don't appreciate the man in his time. It may take another Gary Crowton for Y fans to all come around to what a good coach bronco is. MyPerspective: Bronco is given some leeway because under his circumstances its warranted. If you honestly believe his situation isn't more difficult with a strict honor code that is actually enforced (unlike the supposed "honor codes" of other schools you refer to) then you need to remove your crimson shades long enough to see the obstacles BYUs unique circumstances present. It's not easy finding good athletes who also don't drink or engage in premarital sex, and are willing to take LDS doctrine classes.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 27, 2013 10:46 a.m.

MyPerspective

Utah is a good program and deserves to be in the PAC-12. The way I see it, the biggest reason they got the invitation was their 2 BCS Bowl appearances and wins. That carried more weight than anything else. They had some terrific nonLDS athletes (as well as some great LDS athletes) that made huge impacts on those teams. Would Utah have gone undefeated without those impact players? Not likely. Would all those impact players have gone to Utah if there was a restriction on drinking and sexually immoral conduct? Not likely.

But the HC is NOT what is keeping BYU from getting into a BCS conference. There is no question that BYU has better credentials and history and football program and overall athletics than many schools who have received invitations to BCS conferences. It boils down to 2 things that are keeping them out. The no-Sunday play and BYU"s reluctance to give up any TV rights, and right now conferences are just not willing to make those concessions.

• AntiSNOT Taylorsville, UT
    May 27, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Sounds like "Lil Bro Syndrome" is alive and well on the D-News comment boards. I would venture to guess that more Ute "fans" (i.e. BYU haters) have read and commented on this article than BYU fans. That speaks volumes. Being at/near the bottom of the Pac 10.2 still leaves Ute "fans" with a massive inferiority complex when it comes to the REAL national program in this state. See you on 9/21, Utes. You'll have a sick, awful taste in your mouth that you won't be able to get rid of for a minimum of three years... Have fun going sub-.500 again this year...

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Cougsndawgs
    The self imposed standards under which byu recruits is indeed challenging. However, giving Bronco credit for "developing" academically successful and morally responsible young men is silly given that he starts with individuals already at that level. Should that translate into more losses? I don't know. As long as byu fans are happy with wins regardless of who byu plays, then yeah, Mendenall is a success.

"The university of Utah was selected by the PAC 12 because they are a tier 1 research institution...and had no religious affiliation or conservative agenda." The first part of your assertion is correct. However, the Presidents and Chancellors were very clear that the invitation was extended to the University of Utah based on academics, research, and "athletic prowess." Religious affiliation and some nondescript "agenda" that byu fans love to cite, were not factors of the invitation criteria.

idablu
    "The way I see it, the biggest reason they [Utah] got the invitation was their 2 BCS Bowl appearances and wins." Wrong. Utah met the high high standards set by the Presidents and Chancellors of the Pac-10 of which athletics was a part (see response to Cougsndawgs above).

• AmericaV Huntsville, AL
    May 27, 2013 11:45 a.m.

So, let me ask this question. IF tv rights are what is stopping BYU from getting into a conference, are we talking BYUtv here? Is that the whole crux of it? That just doesn't seem like enough of a big deal. For one, BYUtv is not even in HD where I live. Is it anywhere? So, watching a ballgame on that is just not any fun. Is there more to this than just BYUtv? They don't want to share revenues with anyone? 100% of little is not much.

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    May 27, 2013 4:50 p.m.

@Rirruto
    Did you even attempt to verify your claims about scout.com rankings? It clearly has Utah ranked 54th with 23 recruits in 2013 and BYU is ranked 63rd with 27 recruits. Of course the 2014 ranking are VERY premature even though Utah is 47th and BYU is 57th, both having recruited 5 players. Plus those players won't even play until 2014-15. 2012 has Utah ranked 32nd and BYU 60th. 2011's class has Utah at 40 and BYU at 66. Finally in 2010 BYU has the 22nd and Utah is 50th. Of note is the fact that BYU is boosted by a five star recruit that year that has since left the program: Jake Heaps. Obviously what has influenced the divergence has been Utah's move into the Pac-12.
    Also here are the rankings on rivals.com since Utah was invited to join the Pac-12:
    Utah
    2011: 37
    2012: 28
    2013: 44
    BYU
    2011: 62
    2012: 61
    2013: 70

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 27, 2013 6:07 p.m.

MyPerspective:
    To honestly believe that being a private religious school with conservative ideals opposed to the more liberal ideals of the current PAC 12 institutions had nothing to do with how the PAC 12 decided on schools to invite is just naive. I know ute fans like to quote what the PAC 12's official statement was (as you did) but are U all truly naive enough to think religious affiliation and conservatism had nothing to do with it? Of course the PAC 12 would never say that officially because it wouldn't be PC, but c'mon...I think everyone BUT Utah fans know that the PAC 12 isn't inviting private religious schools anytime soon.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2013 6:35 p.m.

@American V

First of all...

Money is not an issue with BYU.
    BYU is a National Brand and does not need to Coat-Tail others success....
    i.e....
    Utah, Vanderbilt, Wazzu, Duke, Indiana, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Maryland, Texas Tech, Kansas, Purdue etc...).

BYU owns it's own tv-network which is in 65 million homes and counting,
    with tens of millions more on International BYU-TV.

It's on Basic Tier and it's already broadcast in HD on Comcast and many other cable companies.

All of BYU-tv programing is broadcast in HD.
    It's not on Dish or Direct-tv in HD yet, but a simple Roku device easily solves that problem.

Again, BYU has their own exclusive ESPN contract, National Fanbase, Big-Time Stadium along with a monetized BYU-TV.

As if Bottom-feeders will ever play in the Big Bowls anyway?

BYU's facilities are all paid for, along with perpetual maintenance endowments, while Utah has to "Bond" for their facilities.

Exposure!
    That's BYU's priority!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Cougsndawgs
    I think the challenge, for you specifically and for byu fans in general, in accepting the decision of Pac-10 Presidents and Chancellors is that the standards of the Pac-10 are simply too high for byu. If byu was a tier 1 research institution, had a world class medical school, a top 10 college of pharmacy, etc., etc. your assertion of byu being left out of the equation because of its "conservative ideals" might have merit. byu is none of those things. byu's strategy for the last 50 years is based on sports, sports, and sports and does not fit the research and academic profile of the Pac-12 schools. End of story.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2013 6:53 p.m.

@Koloss

You're beyond desperate to argue recruiting rankings.
    Half of the players in the Super Bowl were 3 stars or less out of high school..
    The starting Super Bowl QB's were from those Mecca's of College Football.....
    Delaware and Nevada.
    That's right!

Memo to Koloss...U are Wazzu on your best day.
    It's Tom Lovat Part Deux... for U!

@Cougsndawgs

Then it dawmned on the Pac Presidents that Baylor, a Baptist school which won't even allow dancing (BYU's Ballroom dancers have been National Champions for something like 25 years) was in the mix.

It was a queeze play to take Baylor out of the mix.

BYU also has Superior Academics...
    USNWR ranks BYU #68.....Utah...#127.

You better believe it's all about being a Faith Based Institution.

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    May 27, 2013 7:22 p.m.

@Bluto
    I was merely pointing out to my buddy Rirruto that he was incorrect about BYU having a higher ranking in recruiting. He posted the website and the year and unfortunately for him I looked it up and he was dead wrong. Also could you individually look up all players for both teams in this year's Super Bowl along with how many stars they got out of high school so you can verify your claim about half of the players being 3 stars are less? If recruiting means nothing then explain how Alabama has had the top recruiting class 4 of the last 5 years and has won 3 of the last 4 national titles?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2013 11:05 p.m.

"BYU also has Superior Academics...
    USNWR ranks BYU #68.....Utah...#127.

You better believe it's all about being a Faith Based Institution."

Look deeper, Bluto. byu's #68 ranking in the publication you cite is heavily dependent on the cost of tuition. byu, for LDS members, is dirt cheap in comparison to almost any institution in the country. Now look at the rankings of graduate programs in UNSWR. byu's paper thin portfolio of graduate programs compares favorably to USU and even lags in many fields. Utah, on the other hand, is in a class by itself in the state of Utah and aligns exceptionally well with the institutions in the Pac-12.

Instead of simply looking at and blindly spewing numbers, make an attempt to understand what they represent. Your obsession with sports is a perfect reflection of why byu did not, cannot, and never will meet Pac-12 standards.

byu has never been, is not now, and never will be a tier 1 research institution and has a long, long way to go to meet Pac-12 standards in academics...i.e., medical school. Look for yourself. Accept it and move on.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 27, 2013 11:15 p.m.

If I were a Ute fan, I'd be more worried that my coach might sign an extension. That Whittingham guy's stock is falling as fast as a share of Enron.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    May 27, 2013 11:15 p.m.

MyPerspective

Your perspective is seriously delusional.

The PAC was more than willing to accept Oklahoma State and Texas Tech as part of the PAC 10/Big 12 South merger. Both schools are High Research Universities, just like BYU.

No, Colorado hastily being invited to join Baylor out of the merger, is proof positive that the main reason BYU wasn't invited to join the conference was because a couple of religiously bigoted universities didn't want a private, religious-based university in the PAC 10

Bottom line: Utah wasn't let into the PAC because of its superior athletics, the Utes were invited to be cannon fodder for the big boys of the conference, and the Utes are fulfilling that role very nicely.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2013 11:27 p.m.

Bluto
    "BYU has more tradition, more Top 25 programs over 40 years, more All-Americans , more Hall of Famers, more Championships, more National Award winners, more Brand and Marketability etc. etc.. than Utah will ever have."

You sound bitter. byu had a nice run over a 12-15 year period last century. However, in the Pac-12 it's about more than just sports...it's about high standards. Besides, shouldn't you be saying something like..."we're independent and everyone wants to be us"?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2013 11:51 p.m.

@ Bluto

"They have just as much access as any other school to the 4 team playoff and an at large bid to the top bowls."

You keep telling yourself that.

Also, during Utah's worst season in 10 years: Utah 49 - Wazzu 6. Your hyperbole is getting out of hand.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    May 28, 2013 12:00 a.m.

I remember back in the 80's and 90's when I was a kid, listening to the post-game comments from fans and there were always 2-3 old emotional geezers who would call in and make some criticism about the offense because we had only beat UTEP 45-9. They couldn't believe we stalled on a couple of drives. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Lavell has said he thinks it would be much harder to coach today than in his era. I agree with him. Bronco has done a marvelous job and has a better win percentage at this point in his career than Lavell did. But he doesn't have the endearing personality that Lavell did and rubs the U of U fans and the local media the wrong way, for what reasons I don't fully understand. See some of the comments on this article. Anyway, thanks Bronco. Many of us support you and see the larger picture of what you are doing. It's telling what he's done for his players and how so many of them would go to war with him and for him. Keep it up Bronco!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2013 12:17 a.m.

@ Bluto

Also, it had everything to do with academics. Stop trying to be a victim

"The Academic Ranking of World Universities is regarded to be one of the three most influential and widely observed international university rankings, along with the QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings."

ARWU: Utah - 47th nationally, 82nd in the WORLD. BYU - 110 nationally, between 300-400 worldwide.

QS WUR: Utah - 256. BYU - over 600

THEWUR: Utah - 134. BYU didn't register in the top 400

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story...

• AmericaV Huntsville, AL
    May 28, 2013 7:04 a.m.

@Bluto
    This is great! I never knew BYUtv had HD on Roku. I just tried it out. I have Comcast and BYUtv is not HD there, at least in my area. One comment, though. Having a channel available in 65MM homes does not equate to viewership. It's an opportunity. If McCain's ideas get passed, and people have the opportunity to pay for only what they want, do you think 65MM homes will choose to pay for BYUtv? It remains to be seen how that bill will work out. But it has to have BYU talking. Speaking of the 4 team playoff. How do you think that will workout IF Saban gets his way? Five super conferences will emerge, and the teams in the super conferences only play each other. That won't leave anything for BYU to play except the Mountain and a few other rag tags. BYU won't see the exposure they are after in these scenarios and football may become irrelevant...or end up back in the Mountain.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 28, 2013 7:30 a.m.

MyPersoective:
    Go back and read my original post. I have no problem with Utah being in the PAC 12 and my original post explained why I believe they deserved it. It seems that you "specifically" and Utah fans "generally" can't even take a compliment when it's given you. I realize Utah is a tier 1 research school (see my original post) and a fine academic institution which is one of the reasons they were selected. I feel they deserved to be in the PAC 12 because they met some academic standards held by the PAC 12 while BYU didn't, I have no problem with that. I was simply pointing out that religious based conservative schools do not fit the PAC 12 profile, and that to believe this has nothing to do with who they accept is truly naive. Even if BYU was a t1 research school, the PAC would have selected Utah over them because Utah fits the PACs profile better than BYU..."end of story". I have no problem with Utah being in the PAC 12 and believe they deserve to be there. Read my original post again, I don't have issue with Utah's membership in the PAC 12

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2013 7:49 a.m.

@Koloss

U are not Alabama!
    U are Wazzu!
    Go WazzUtes!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2013 7:59 a.m.

@Two for

Your obscure rankings are irrelevant.
    Your World University rankings come out of Communist China and are based on research dollars generated and not on Academics.

USNWR is the Gold Standard of ranking Universites and their Academics, that's why every University touts them. Unless they're in the 2nd tier and ranked #127 as Utah is.

Utah is near the bottom in Academics in the Pac, just as they are in just about every sport and category.

BYU would rank sixth in Academics in the Pac and 3rd or 4th for their overall success in their athletic programs.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Cougsndawgs
    I did note and appreciate the well wishes and I'm sure Utah all fans do as well. Thank you. When I read and now re-read your post this is what I saw..."a private religious school with conservative ideals opposed to the more liberal ideals of the current PAC 12 institutions had nothing to do with how the PAC 12 decided on schools to invite is just naive." That is the point I attempted to address.

"Even if BYU was a t1 research school, the PAC would have selected Utah over them because Utah fits the PACs profile better than BYU..." You don't know this to be true. byu isn't a tier 1 research institution so your conjecture is cannot be validated.

Again, my thanks Cougsndawgs. I enjoy reading your comments on these boards. Well thought out and a refreshing perspective.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 28, 2013 9:30 a.m.

Re: My Perspective and Two For Flinching

Give it up boys, your dogs in this fight are losing badly to Bluto. It sad you have to depend on a BYU commenter for support.

Utah has had two good seasons and that is it. As it has been documented, the PAC 10 lost the deal with the Texas schools by refusing to take Baylor because it was a religious based school. Colorado was picked and then, lastly, Utah was chosen as a place holder to take the 12th spot so the PAC could qualify for a championship game in accordance to the NCAA. Cougsndawgs needs to go back and look at the facts. FYI: according to that bastion of liberalism, The New York Times, BYU has over twice the fan base as Utah. That translates into more revenue. Money runs conferences now, except when religious bigotry rears its head.

I will tell you now, if the NCAA gives the Big 12 (which has only 10 teams)a waiver so that it can have a championship game, there will be a lot of folks in that belonged to the PAC 10 completely furious and beside themselves with anger.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 28, 2013 10:06 a.m.

Re: Two For Flinching

“Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story…”

Most “widely observed rankings” according to who?

The “facts” that you are using here come from Wikipedia, which we all know is “highly reliable.” The wiki article cites The Christian Science Monitor, TheAustralian.com, and The Edmonton Journal as their primary sources (all obscure international publications). Funny that the title of the article in the Edmonton Journal is “Top schools don't always get top marks: University rankings are not the most reliable indicator of an institution's educational clout.“

So, why should I pay attention to these ranking services that I have never heard of?
    (continued)

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 28, 2013 10:11 a.m.

Please don't be mad to each other.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 28, 2013 10:11 a.m.

(continued)
    A few fun “facts” about the ranking sources you cite…

Two of the six criteria for rankings in the QS World University Rankings are for “number of international faculty” and “number of international students” clearly showing that a high ranking hangs on the institutions international population, not academic prestige. Further, BYU was not even included in the sample (nor was the University of Oregon) which explains why their ranking was so low. It’s hard to get a high ranking when you are given an automatic “0” in every statistical category. Also interesting that the Times Higher Education World University Rankings Utah ranked below UC-Santa Cruz, UC-Irvine, Rochester, and Rice University. I doubt many view those institutions as academic powerhouses.
    (continued)

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 28, 2013 10:12 a.m.

(continued)
    In rankings that I’ve actually heard of BYU does o.k. In US News & World Report BYU ranks higher (#68) than Utah (#125) and several other PAC12 schools. Likewise, in Forbes college rankings BYU (#93) ranks higher than Utah (#161), and several other PAC12 schools (OSU #424, WSU #464). While the Y doesn’t have a medical school, they are consistently ranked in the top 10 schools in the country for producing medical, law, and dental students as well as students who go on to get PhDs.

Now don’t get me wrong, Utah is classified as a top research school and BYU is not. Utah fits the PAC12 “profile” and BYU does not. I am not arguing for that here, just simply requesting you don’t bash someone for posting bad “facts” when yours are no better. Both BYU and Utah are fine institutions but they offer different experiences to their students.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 28, 2013 10:19 a.m.

What are "tenants" of faith?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 28, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Bluto:

"It's well documented that Baylor was part of the original Texas/Okie Pac 10 deal."

Actually, what had been well documented was that the Pac-10 never wanted Baylor, but that Baylor was trying to ride Texas' coattails into the Pac-16 the same way they rode into the Big XII back in '96. And they failed. That's not the same thing as being "part of the original...deal."

"Then it dawmned [sic] on the Pac Presidents that Baylor, a Baptist school which won't even allow dancing...was in the mix...This is why, out of the blue, while this deal was still being negotiated, Commisioner Scott invited Colorado."

You frantically and emotionally made that up. For starters, Baylor lifted their ban on dancing about 15-yrs ago, so obviously that had no impact on the Pac-12's refusal to consider them. Additionally, CU had been in discussions with the Pac-10 long before the Big 12 raid was even dreamt up. So no...not "out of the blue". And lastly, as mentioned, Baylor was never wanted. Hence, no deal was "being negotiated" with them ever in mind. Fail.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 28, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Sorry Naval Vet,

Check your facts. The Texas schools were either going to go all together or none go. Once it was clear the PAC 10 wasn't going to take Baylor, negotiations ended, over and fin. Colorado was invited for financial reasons and Utah was invited as a place holder to bring the PAC from 11 to 12 teams; mainly so it could have a championship game.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 28, 2013 1:29 p.m.

We each have "our own garden to tend".

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2013 1:42 p.m.

It wasn't Baylor being left out that made the Texas schools rethink their PAC desires. Colorado was in, and had actually wanted in as far back as 1978 when the Arizona schools were taken from the WAC. Texas A&M was really not interested in joining the PAC in any way and even when the SWC broke up back in 1993-94 was talking to the SEC about following Arkansas in, but at that time the Texas Board of Regents wasn't about to allow it. But in 2011 they changed that stance given the other flagship schools percieved advantages fiancially in negotiating their own network deal (Longhorn TV Network).

BYU has been a perceived fit for the Big 12 since 1993-94, but LDS Church leaders will not allow the Cougars to join a traditional power league since even now, there are those within their ranks I'm hearing who feel such an alignment would be unfair to Utah State with Utah already in the Pac-12. The Big 12 wanted TCU and BYU to replace Texas A&M and Missouri in 2011, but settled on West Virginia when the BOT would not allow a BYU move from the WCC.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2013 2:19 p.m.

@Naval...

MacNasty is correct.

It was all or nothing on the Texas/Okie merger..
    The Texas legislature made that perfectly clear.

The Mask of Ute Fans False Bravado has been removed.
    Reality has set in and the fact that Utah can't compete in any sport in the Pac, other than gymnastics, is troubling.

Couple that with Utah going into debt by bonding for facilities, being near the bottom academically in the Pac and dead last in athletic budgets....and U guys are the new Wazzu!

Why did Colorado get a sweeter deal than Utah to join..... Hmmm?

BYU was looked over because they are not a Secular/Liberal/Socialist Institution of Higher Learning.
    And that's OK.

That's why they (BYU) planned for over a decade of having their own National/International TV Network and state of the art broadcast facility.

The fact that ESPN jumped in with an exclusive TV contract, demonstrated BYU's National Brand.
    This drove the Ute fans bonkers.
    BYU is doing just fine.

Now you go and see if the U can produce one single solitary League Championship, in any sport, in the next decade?

OK ?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2013 2:36 p.m.

You're wrong.

Negotiations were ongoing with the Texas/Okie 6, of which Baylor was included, before Colorado entered the picture.
    So what if Colorado wanted in from 1978?
    That's irrelevant.
    The early negotiations did not include them (Colorado).

While negotiations were in motion, out of the blue, Colorado was invited.
    Powerful Senators and House Members in the Texas legislature, made it clear, it was all 4 of the Texas schools, or nothing.

Texas used this leverage against the other Big-12 schools to get a better cut in the action,
    (which they always have had)) by virtue of Texas being allowed to have their own TV-Network, financed with ESPN.

You're conflicting events out of their time and space. The A&M dynamic transpired after Texas had already decided to save the Big-12 Conference by remaining and the Pac-12 had moved ahead with #12 (how fitting) Utah.

You've been pushing this Utah State angle for years now, David.
    It's a non-starter.
    Move on.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 28, 2013 2:56 p.m.

MacNasty:

My facts had been checked. Yours hadn't. The only "Texas-bloc" schools included in the Pac-10's dream sheet was Texas, Texas A&M, and Tx. Tech. Period. The only "negotiating" going with respect to Baylor following their Big 12 instate brethren to the Pac-10 were Texas politicians. Not Pac-10 presidents. CU received an early invitation by the Pac-10 to force Texas' hand to come to the negotiating table WITHOUT Baylor. Make no mistake: Larry Scott and the Pac-10 held the highest hand. THEY decided who to invite, and THEY set the terms for membership.

No Baylor. Never had been.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 28, 2013 3:12 p.m.

SLC BYU Fan:

"BYU has been a perceived fit for the Big 12 since 1993-94, but LDS Church leaders will not allow the Cougars to join a traditional power league since even now..."

No...it wasn't the "church leaders" who refused to permit the cougars from joining the Big 12. It was the Big 12 leaders. Samuelson & Holmoe can NOT POSSIBLY refuse an invitation until AFTER an invitation had been issued. I had never been offered the CFO's chair for JPMorgan Chase, so I therefore am not he, but that doesn't mean I "refused" it.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 28, 2013 3:13 p.m.

re:Y Grad / Y Dad

Again no coach is going to simply go out and coach not knowing or caring about the details of his job after the first of the year. At the end of the day, Bronco is working to support his family and his future career first LONG before his loyalty to the football program at the Y. There are things that I'm sure Bronco is working on that he can't divulge that are his own business and I am fine with that.

The MAIN point I was making has to do with BYU suffering recruiting wise because they have a head coach that refuses to sign long term with the program. If you have a son that is a legit D1 recruit and perhaps has abilities beyond college are you going to be comfortable sending him to the Y where the coach is year to year ??

The

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    May 28, 2013 4:06 p.m.

Bluto
    Sandy, UT

First of all...

Money is not an issue with BYU.
    BYU is a National Brand and does not need to Coat-Tail others success....
    i.e....

BYU owns it's own tv-network which is in 65 million homes and counting,
    with tens of millions more on International BYU-TV.

All of BYU-tv programing is broadcast in HD.

Exposure!
    That's BYU's priority!

_____

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 28, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Wrong again. The powers that be in Texas decided on the deal. It was not just UT's call as you suggest. And yeah, Baylor was part of the deal. No Baylor, no deal. Was a deal made, no. Plan B was implemented and needed to fill a space to complete 12, that was why Utah was invited.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    May 28, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Once again naval vet is blowing smoke.

Bluto is absolutely correct that as soon as a PAC 10 / Big 12 South merger INCLUDING Baylor appeared possible, the PAC 10 had no choice but to quickly invite Colorado to shut Baylor out of the picture. A couple of PAC 10 schools had made it absolutely clear that they would not approve inviting ANY private, religious-based school to join the very secular PAC 10.

After the merger fell through, the PAC 10 invited Utah to fill the remaining 12th spot because Utah's better "cultural" fit (read, non-religious).

Since Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have exactly the same "High Research" classification as BYU, the "academic" spiel the PAC 10 put out was simply the convenient excuse the PAC 10 chose for not inviting BYU's obviously superior athletic program and much larger fan base, over the obviously inferior athletic program on the hill.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    May 28, 2013 5:45 p.m.

WACpaddled

"Right, exposure. According to Bluto, the school with the best toys wins. For BYU it's a fashion show, not athletic ability or desire to win titles."

Titles won during the last half century:

BYU - 23 conference titles, 1 national title
    Utah - 6 conference titles, 0 national titles

It's clear, the Utes couldn't care less about winning a title, as long as they can win their September bowl game against BYU.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2013 6:22 p.m.

BYU has 10 Top 25 programs every year.
    Utah does not.

BYU produces more All-Americans every year (by a factor of 4-5)than does Utah.

BYU has 2-3 times as many Conference Championships (all-sports) than does Utah, in the last 40 years.(6 times as many Football Conference Championships).

Utah has never bested BYU in the Directors Cup.

No, it's about excellence in athletics for BYU and academics and exposure for the BYU Nation fan-base.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 28, 2013 9:17 p.m.

Re: Bluto,

You are PONING the Ute trolls. Their attempts at revisionist history is breathtaking, but crashing and burning! It is kind of pathetic really.

Re: WACPaddingOurSchedule

Some of those "best toy wins" include 9 straight over your Utes in the WAC that you belittle with your moniker. Tell me, how many WAC conference championships did the Utes win in football as members of the WAC? How about the MWC?

Bottom line is BYU football has more national cache, more conference championships, more All Americans and special award winners (ie Doak Walker, Davey O'Brien, Heisman, etc), a fan base more than twice the size than Utah. Oh and a consensus national championship. We also have a recognized football dynasty.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 28, 2013 10:14 p.m.

patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT
    re:Y Grad / Y Dad

"So it is fine for you to have this rosy view that Bronco is just a builder of young men and money and other such 'worldy' things don't matter to him. Ok - that is your view. It is completely naive but you are welcome to it."

And you are welcome to the opinion that Bronco is a cynical, selfish, deceptive person. OK, that is your view. It is completely bitter but you are welcome to it.

And to the Deseret News, what did you find so appalling about the original version of this comment?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 28, 2013 10:22 p.m.

Another point that needs to be made: Oklahoma State was also being eliminated from the PAC 10s expansion desires....because they weren't a tier 1 research school (Oklahoma is). Last time i checked okie state has no religious affiliation. Larry Scott and the PAC 10 expansion committee were looking at Kansas later in the process because they are an AAU tier 1 school, and they didn't want OSU. My point is BYU wasn't taken by the PAC 10 for a couple of reasons. They weren't t1 research and they were a religious conservative school. I don't think most people outside the BYU/Utah fanbase would dispute that.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 28, 2013 11:44 p.m.

Cougsndawgs

"Larry Scott and the PAC 10 expansion committee were looking at Kansas later in the process because they are an AAU tier 1 school, and they didn't want OSU."

The PAC 10 was absolutely delusional if they thought they could get Oklahoma without OK St or Texas without Texas Tech, both of which are High Research universities, just like BYU.

It'll be interesting to see how the PAC 12's story changes if they ever decide to expand again. There simply aren't any other schools west of the Rockies that meet the PAC 12's criteria of secular, tier 1 research universities with decent athletics and reasonable-sized television markets.

• Golden Helmet Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2013 3:10 a.m.

The Bronc is done.

For a man to preach accountability and to pass the buck, by running off or firing the entire offensive staff, including BYU's favorite son, he has let his true character emerge.

Doman all but begged to stay on as a position coach. All of the haters that argue he struggled and should have been shown the door, I offer to you the rivals for a great example in leadership and loyalty. Their young OC has struggled. They brought in a lot bigger name than anyone on either team's staff to serve as co-coordinator and mentor the young coach. BYU brings in a coach that was unceremoniously run out of Provo along with a RB coach that has never coached a down in his life. Remember, it was the Bronc that sought after Doman, not vice versa. They could have easily brought in Charlie Stubbs to mentor Doman. He didn't do so, why? He needed a scape goat to shift the blame.

It's not like BYU is a top tier, let alone mid tier program.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 29, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Golden Helmet nailed it.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 29, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Golden Helmet:
    I would agree if everything you said were true. Tom Holmoe is Bronco's boss. Holmoe was the one who brought Anae back and told bronco he was doing so. You also forget that Brian Johnson only had one year while Doman had two years to get the offense going...I don't think anyone expected him to be a mastermind in his first year. Both BYU and Utah made the mistake of hiring OCs that were too young and inexperienced. I certainly wish Holme would have handled Doman differently (your Charlie Stubbs idea would have been nice), but blaming that on Bronco is pointing the finger in the wrong place. You can also bet that BJs job will still be in jeopardy if Utah's offense continues to struggle this year (a strong possibility considering their best offensive weapon graduated).

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 29, 2013 9:14 a.m.

AZUTE1
    Mesa, AZ

"Golden Helmet nailed it."

Golden Helmet, that's a tough endorsement. If Chris B or NV start citing you, your all but done here as a credible participant.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 29, 2013 10:19 a.m.

@Golden Helment "I offer to you the rivals for a great example in leadership and loyalty."

Those same 'loyal' rivals who are now on to their fifth new offensive coordinator in five years? Not entirely sure what leadership and loyalty you're referring to.

K Whitt gave BJ one year to prove himself, and has now brought in Dennis Erickson as a 'co-OC' to 'mentor' BJ. We'll see how that works out.

Bronco gave Doman two years to prove himself. The offense has struggled both years, and from all accounts, there was no chemistry or unity in the offensive staff.

Should Bronco take some of the blame for previous mistakes (like playing an injured Riley Nelson)? Absolutely, and he has.

But the guy IS preaching accountability by firing Doman and the offensive staff. They weren't performing, and he did what he considers one of the hardest things he's ever done and fired them. Same with Jaime Hill in 2010.

Why? To improve the football team. That's not being disloyal, that's being a smart football coach.

Quit being an obvious BYU hater and try to enjoy life. You'll be a lot happier if you do.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 29, 2013 10:39 a.m.

As for Bluto's comments that Utah is Wazzu now...

He's absolutely right. There were TWO teams in the PAC 12 that finished the 2012-2013 season ranked 9th or worse in football, basketball, AND baseball: Washington St and Utah.

But it's obvious that Utah was invited to the PAC 12 because of their 'athletic' prowess, lol.

Go Cougars!

• 56-6 BYU Afton, WY
    May 29, 2013 10:40 a.m.

I'm sure 54-10 wasn't even born to know the significance of my posting name, but since so many Ute Fans like to bring up the 54-10, I thought I would go with it. Everything has a cycle.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    May 29, 2013 11:04 a.m.

56-6 BYU

Last time Utah beat BYU by 50+ points - NEVER
    Last time Utah scored 70+ points on BYU - NEVER
    Last time Utah won 19 of 21 versus BYU - NEVER
    Last time Utah won 9 in a row versus BYU - 1929-1937
    Last time Utah shut out BYU by 27+ points - 1957

Utah's cycle (for what it's worth) ended before the color television era began

In the last half century, BYU leads the series 29-21, and in national accomplishments, Utah isn't even on the radar.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 29, 2013 12:24 p.m.

re:Y Grad / Y Dad

Don't get me wrong - I like Bronco. Much better than Crowton and is about as good a coach as the Y is going to get. However my main point - once again - is that Bronco refuses to sign long term with the Y and wants to play this year to year type gig. That hurts recruiting BIG time for the Y simply because a kid wants to know that he will have a coach - at least under contract - for the duration of his scholarship. Changing coaches puts kids into limbo - all the promises made to them are out the window. Bronco needs to either go somewhere else or sign long term with the Y. Playing this year to year game hurts the program overall.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    May 29, 2013 1:06 p.m.

patriot

Why is a Utah fan and BYU hater so interested in seeing Bronco leave BYU?

Could it be that despite Bronco's 3 to 5 deficit in head-to-head matchups, that Bronco has finished with better records and higher rankings that Kyle 5 out of 8 seasons?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 29, 2013 1:25 p.m.

patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT

re:Y Grad / Y Dad

Okay, so now we're down to a reasonable difference of opinion. I say, when Utah hits that point that KW's contract is coming due, but not yet renewed, will recruits REALLY go elsewhere because there may be a question about how long he will be around?

And I will stick with my original premise. BYU, and Bronco, with a contract hanging out, is just as reliable as most universities and coaches with long-term contracts, because the contracts have become offer sheets, nothing more. A non-member with no (or bad) experience with the church and /or BYU might be doubtful. I think most of BYU's target recruits are going to trust Bronco, or they are not, and the contract situation will have less to do with it than you are saying.

Other places, maybe (but I don't think so much, even there), but BYU, and especially with Bronco here, different rules. Trust is stronger.

By the way, I don't necessarily think the same was true under Coach Law and baseball. But I would say the same thing with Coach Rose and basketball.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2013 1:42 p.m.

@ 56-6 BYU

Three generations have been born that don't know (or care) about the significance of your name. The 1980's are over; it's time to move on.

Also, don't forget that today's recruits, especially those from Utah, actually witnessed the 54-10 game. Don't think they haven't noticed who has taken control of the series over the past 10 seasons.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 29, 2013 1:59 p.m.

Contract extensions are pretty meaningless in this day and age. String together a couple of bad seasons and watch out. The buy out for these contracts has to soften the fall though.

@ Y Grad/Y Dad

"Credible participant?" Thanks for monitoring the thread for us.....Sheesh!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2013 2:02 p.m.

@ Wiscougarfan

And the US News rankings use peer reviews and alumni giving as a criteria. Not only that, but they only rank the undergraduate level. None of the ranking are perfect, but I trust the world ranking systems.

btw: UC-Irvine is ranked number 44 in the US News & World report rankings. UC-SC is 77th, Rochester is 33rd, and Rice was ranked 17th. The consensus between every ranking system being discussed here is that all of the schools you mentioned are great institutions. So on that point, you are incorrect.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 29, 2013 2:20 p.m.

Two For Flinching
    Salt Lake City, UT

Do you suspect they (the recruits) notice who had a losing season last year? Or who sat out the bowl season?

Do you think any of them draw a straight line, from Utah beating BYU, two years ago rather spectacularly, to the end of the season, and get that disappointing feeling that Utah peaks too early, and crashes too soon?

I've been more than fair in the past, and I will admit again, now, BYU doesn't upset many big name programs when they have the chance. But you gotta admit, lately, Utah has too often floundered at the end of the season.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 29, 2013 2:33 p.m.

2fer

Those same recruits also noticed who went bowling last year and who was a couch potato.

btw, does Utah even bother showing recruits Utah's trophy closet, or do they avoid it like the plague knowing that Utah's rusty collection pre-color television era conference trophies isn't all that impressive, especially when that represents Utah's "glory years"?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 29, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad--

"Two For Flinching

But you gotta admit, lately, Utah has too often floundered at the end of the season."

In 2011, UTAH finished the season winning 5 of their final 6 games and won their bowl game. byu finished in 2011 winning 4 of their final 5 games by beating the following schools--

Following a bye-week, Idaho at home; NMSU at home; Following yet another bye-week, Hawaii; Tulsa.

UTAH finished 2012 winning 3 of their final 5 games, losing AT UW and against ua. UTAH missed their 1st bowl game since 2002 by merely 1 game [HARDLY a trend], following playing against a tougher SOS than byu.

byu finished 2012 with a bye-week followed by Idaho at home, losing to SJSU, beating NMSU and SDSU in a bowl game.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2013 5:04 p.m.

@ Phantomblade

Recruits also notice who plays in the PAC-12 and who finished the season in Las Cruses, New Mexico. I'm not sure what you are arguing because Utah has taken the overwhelming majority of the top in-state recruits the past few seasons. Obviously the chance to compete in the PAC outweighs being indy.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad

I agree. Utah needs to step up and be a serious player in conf. Hopefully this season Utah will turn the corner.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    May 29, 2013 9:16 p.m.

twofer

"Recruits also notice who plays in the PAC-12 and who finished the season in Las Cruses, New Mexico.Recruits also notice who plays in the PAC-12 and who finished the season in Las Cruses, New Mexico."

Recruits also notice that Utah is becoming a perpetual bottom dweller and whipping boy for the big boys of the conference.

BYU finished the season beating San Diego in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Utah finished the season watching bowl week from the comfort of their couch.

Recruits are smart enough to see that BYU's 2013 schedule is every bit as good as Utah's.

at Virginia
    Texas
    Utah
    Middle Tennessee State
    at Utah State
    Georgia Tech
    at Houston
    Boise State
    at Wisconsin
    Idaho State
    at Notre Dame
    at Nevada

All of those top in-state recruits and you still couldn't beat the only WAC team on your schedule in order to qualify for a bowl.

LOL!

Most of the recruiting services ranked Utah's recent recruiting class 10th or lower in the PAC. How are the Utes going to "step up and be a serious player" if they're incapable of beating a conference opponent with a winning record?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2013 1:40 a.m.

@ skywalker

Utah has owned the recruiting battle recently. The top recruits obviously see enough potential in Utah's program to where they are continually picking the Utes over the other in-state schools. And although recruiting is very important, it does not guarantee wins. You have to have the right players, coaches, and system all working together to have success. (AFA is a good example) Even then, sometimes you can play good enough to win and still come up short, and vice versa.

Why you are trying to discredit Utah St. by referring to them as a WAC school? BYU built up its entire "legacy" as a member of the WAC. I don't understand the disrespect. Also USU was a great team last season. There is no shame in losing to the Aggies in Logan in OT.

Lastly, I'm not sure why you think the growing pains Utah experienced the past two seasons are a guarantee for how things will be in the upcoming seasons. Granted, Utah has been very inconsistent. I think Utah is going to take a solid step forward this next season now that the o-line and QB, and OC issues have been addressed.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 30, 2013 7:32 a.m.

@skywalker

Yes, Utah's class was ranked between #8-#10 in the PAC 12, depending on the service you reference. I'm sure you realize that your Cougs were out recruited by EVERY PAC 12 team, and Toledo. Schedule is one aspect that a recruit looks at; opportuninty to play in the NFL and a high tier bowl is another. Utah trumps BYU on both. It has to me demoralizing to know that whether you have a fair season and go 6-6; or a great season and go 11-1; you still end up in the Kraft Fight Hunger bowl. BYU wasn't even invited to the BCS playoff meetings. Notre Dame was. It must be extremely frustrating being on the outside of the BCS looking in; but that's where BYU is. That's not going to change any time soon and I love it!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 30, 2013 8:03 a.m.

RE: Spokane Ute

"It has to me demoralizing to know that whether you have a fair season and go 6-6; or a great season and go 11-1; you still end up in the Kraft Fight Hunger bowl."

That's not true and you know it. If BYU goes 11-1 with this schedule they either play in a BCS bowl or 10-15 other bowls bend over backwards to get them to come play.

I don't get schedule smack. Both BYU and Utah have amazing schedules for next season. Utah's is ranked slightly higher and gives them more exposure in California, where they do a lot of their recruiting. BYU's schedule is also excellent and takes them all over the country--something that is advantageous the the direction they are going with recruiting. There is no "better" schedule in this situation, it's apples and oranges. Go Cougs!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 30, 2013 10:22 a.m.

@ Wiscougarfan

When BYU goes 11-1, let's revisit the topic. It's not going to happen in my life time. Especially now that they have beefed up their schedule. Please list the 10-15 other bowls? No bowl would invite BYU, even if they could. All of the bowls have tie in's and are commited to conference members. Google Bowl tie ins; 2013 - 2014. BYU is already slated for the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. Now if a conference does not have enough 6 win teams; there's always a chance for one of those slots. BYU is tied into the Kraft Fight Hunger bowl, unless they run the table; or possibly go 11-1. Face it, 6 wins or 10 wins; it all leads to the same destination if you are not a BCS school, in a conference or Notre Dame. Is it fair? probably not. Is it fact? Of course.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 30, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Spokaneute:
    You answered your own question. Not all teams tied into bowls will be bowl eligible. Actually there hasn't been a single season where all tie ins were eligible. What needs to be understood, however, is that the major bowls get to select first, so even if all the conference tie ins weren't eligible, it would still only leave the lower tier bowls available. And yes, that is very frustrating as a BYU fan if you want to know the truth. But I imagine not going to a bowl at all would be more frustrating...BYU fans don't know how that feels since the Bronco Mendenhall era, so maybe ute fans could tell us.

• DRay Roy, UT
    May 30, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Bronco's a very positive Coach and person, looking forward to continuing for the right reasons. Win or lose, he is a great man to take the journey with, as a BYU fan, especially of the purposes of proclaiming truth restored to all people.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 30, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Re: Spokane Ute

"When BYU goes 11-1, let's revisit the topic. It's not going to happen in my life time." Replace BYU with Utah and your comment will be much more accurate.

LOL

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 30, 2013 3:32 p.m.

Reading the absolute refusal of byu fans to see our respective schedules as their obviously are leaves one practically speechless. byu does not, has never and never will endure a legitimate, relentless week-in, week-out grind we face in The PAC-12. It's not even remotely debatable. For instance, see our 8-game, mid-season stretch in 2013. We don't have a MTSU or a Houston or arguably the worst FCS program of all-time, Idaho State, thrown in there as a reprieve. Spin away to your heart's delight, but NOBODY outside of utah county in their right mind would even remotely conceive of agreeing with you, let alone actually doing so.

Regarding making/missing bowl games. We missed our 1st bowl game since '02. This hardly constitutes a trend. Furthermore, during this current BCS Era, BOTH UTAH/byu have reached the IDENTICAL number of bowl games--11. The glaring/overwhelming difference is their respective results--While 2X BCS Busting/Winning UTAH has achieved a RESOUNDING 10-1 record, non-BCS/indy-WAC byu has struggled just simply to stay above .500 at 6-5. Good times.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 30, 2013 4:09 p.m.

AZUTE:
    BYU fans have conceded Utah's schedule is indeed tougher, just not by as much as you think. We've given example after example as to why it's closer than u think, but you "will not", "have never", and "will never" stop whining about how hard your schedule is while at the same time proclaiming you're absolute happiness at being the PAC 12 whipping boy. If you're happy to be in the PAC 12 fine...I would be too. Just stop crying about your "week in week out grind". U made your bed, now sleep in it and stop the incessant moaning and justifying for the utes absolute failure thus far in said conference. Btw MTSU had nearly the same final BCS ranking Utah did...ie, the utes are just another patsy in the middle of our schedule too...DOH!!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 30, 2013 7:46 p.m.

@cnd--

Please. I'm hardly complaining/whining/etc. On the contrary, I couldn't be happier with where we're at. I'm also one who's FULLY-expected to endure PRECISELY this transition-period we've gone through, as building depth inherently requires multiple recruiting-classes. Nice try with Spinning my words into what jives with byu fan's wishful-thinking. I reference SOS solely when byu fan blatantly disregards it as irrelevant for years past and when byu fan makes this vain attempt to rate our respective 2013 SOS as being even remotely equal. How you leap from this to me somehow even remotely complaining about it is, LITERALLY, beyond comprehension.

Regarding MTSU, please state their final SOS ranking. Thanks in advance!!!!

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    June 3, 2013 9:29 p.m.

Solution:
    At this point of negotiations, their is a point, that BYU says is their best offer.
    There is also a point that Bronco says is his lowest offer.
    The coaching contract runs through the end of December of this year, after all season games have been played.

The school and the coach should agree now that after the last season game has been played, one of those two figures in the first paragraph above will be paid/accepted.

If Bronco can win 5 of the following games, BYU will pay Bronco his favor and Bronco will receive it. If Bronco can not win 5 of the following games, BYU will pay and Bronco will accept the pay offered by BYU as indicated in the first paragraph above.

Those 5 games must be won from the following list this season:
    1. Notre Dame 2. Texas Longhorns 3. Wisconsin 4. Ga Tec. 5. Utah 6. Boise State
    7. Va. From this list of 7 teams, Bronco can lose 2 of them and still get his price. If he loses more than 2 of them, he accepts BYU’s offer. So be it.