Faith

'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her conversion story in new video

Comments

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Sister Fox, you have a wonderful story, a great testimony, and an amazing spirit. I can see you becoming a role model for many of the young women that you encounter when you speak. I do not mind that you have tattoos, but it would probably be better not to identify yourself by them. Others may want to become Tattooed Mormons too. There is nothing wrong with that if they already have the ink before converting. How about Al Fox, Daughter of God! That has a nice sound to it. Lastly, the ink cannot be removed I'm guessing that the tongue piercing can be. You might find that you enunciate better without it.

• Twin Sister LINDON, UT
    May 21, 2013 4:26 p.m.

What an unlifting, humble conversion story and testimony! And, what a great example of member missionary work! Thank you for sharing, Al Fox!

• sjames AMERICAN FORK, UT
    May 21, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Al Fox is an amazing person. I met her soon after I came home from my mission. My brother was going to some "informal scripture study" sessions that Sis. Fox had organized. She had at least 10 people there (they said it was a low turnout that day). I remember that upon our first meeting I thought "What a mature, wise and charismatic person." She just has a certain way about her countenance that inspires the best in people. I'm so happy to see her sharing that love with others.

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 21, 2013 5:05 p.m.

JimInSLC: Although the church does not encourage tattoes they will not deny a temple reccommend to those who have them.

• Someone Pinch Me WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 21, 2013 5:42 p.m.

A true conversion would cause to remove them. We don't deface the Temples and that's what our bodies are!

• mightyd Hurricane, UT
    May 21, 2013 6:11 p.m.

@jiminslc

do not look at the mote in someones else's eye, until u remove the mote in thine........

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    May 21, 2013 6:15 p.m.

Rock on, Sister Fox!

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2013 7:21 p.m.

snowman: I have no problems with the tattoos. It is great that Sister Fox will be going through the temple. I just don't think it is a good to identify yourself by something external.

I think it was President Hinckley that said. 2 earrings for girls, no earrings for boys. Maybe it was a tic-tac on her tongue and I just mistook it for a piercing, in which case I apologize Sister Fox.

@mightyd: mote? Was there a mote in her eye? I guess I was too distracted by what I thought was a tongue piercing. I'll have to watch it again.

What will you tell your teen daughters that want to pierce their tongues? Sister Fox's tongue is pierced. Yes and if Sister Fox jumps off a bridge are you going to jump off the bridge too?

Okay, I've got to go remove this beam from my eye. I can't see anything and it's starting to hurt.

• donn layton, UT
    May 21, 2013 10:24 p.m.

RE: Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her conversion Conversion to Mormonism.

Radical religious converions are not unusual: Randy Bachman, BTO to Mormonism. Cat Stevens to Islam. Sammy Davis Jr. to Judaism.

Converts to Christianity. Mark Farmer, Grand Funk railroad. Richie Furay, Buffalo Springfield . Roger McGuinn,the Byrds
    And the #1 Christian conversion, Saint Paul, "for I bear in my body the marks=(stigmata, stigma)of the Lord Jesus"(Gal 6:17).

• LCW ,
    May 21, 2013 10:38 p.m.

Beautiful

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 21, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Does this mean you aren't opposed to your tattoo free child getting a tattoo?
    Wait I thought its fine?

• Editorial Notes At Home In, UT
    May 22, 2013 12:59 a.m.

I love listening to her testimony.
    I love her enthusiasm for the gospel of Jesus Christ.

But I feel I am missing something...
    She is not the (only) tattoed Mormon so why 3 stories since February labeling her as such?
    It makes her sound like a circus sideshow.

There is a good size fireside circuit,
    there's a good smattering Mormon bloggers and YouTubers...

But everyone's story is unique.
    She's found a way to share hers.
    Focus on her story...
    She's not her tattoos.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 22, 2013 5:36 a.m.

"I think it was President Hinckley that said. 2 earrings for girls, no earrings for boys."

Do you really want your religious leaders delving into the minutia of your lives? Do you really need that?

It would be smothering to me.

• donn layton, UT
    May 22, 2013 7:33 a.m.

RE: Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her conversion Conversion to Mormonism.
    And #1 Christian conversion, Saint Paul, for I bear in my body the marks=(stigmata, stigma)of the Lord Jesus(Gal 6:17).

• stealthblue Herriman, UT
    May 22, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Here is the churches stand on Tattooing, important not to judge, esp those who got tattoos before they became members:

Tattooing
    Latter-day prophets strongly discourage the tattooing of the body. Those who disregard this counsel show a lack of respect for themselves and for God. The Apostle Paul taught of the significance of our bodies and the danger of purposefully defiling them: "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Corinthians 3:16–17).

Additional Information
    Those who have a tattoo wear a constant reminder of a mistake they have made. They might consider having it removed.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 22, 2013 10:08 a.m.

When she is giving interviews my feeling is that it would be better if she covered up her arms. It is offensive to look at and yes tatoos can be removed even though very painful and I'm sure expensive. It difficult for me to feel she is an example of a latter-day Saint woman when the main thing you see are the tatoos...I don't understand why anyone would choose to desecrate their bodies with tatoos..it is not becoming and it certainly does not please the Lord.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 22, 2013 10:47 a.m.

Some of you are just crazy. You don't judge a person by their skin color, their culture, their tattoos, their piercings, etc. You judge them by their character. From what I'm hearing from the criticizers here ... she has more character than you WITH the tattoos.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    May 22, 2013 11:29 a.m.

To the people telling this girl to remove her tattoo's you clearly don't know how it works. First, there is no guarantee that it will work, if the artist went even a bit too deep or if the ink is blue you probably aren't getting rid of the tattoo ever(unless you cut all of your skin off) The other thing is depending on your skin type you can be left with large scars(that are worse than the tattoo). The biggest thing is when did this woman's salvation become Jim or SuzyK or anyone else's decision? She should do what's right between her and god, not what some posters on the internet think.

• Tamzintheuk Newton-le-Willows, 00
    May 22, 2013 11:38 a.m.

How refreshing! Times have already changed so much that I feel Sister Fox is wise to identify herself as the Tattooed Mormon. I feel the reason the church has not grown quicker than it could have (and therefore been a blessing to more people so far)is partly due to the Pharisee attitude brought into it by competitive and condescending attitudes. So many people take too many decades to shake off their worldly natures even after feeling God's love. We do progress... "Line up Line", "Here a little and there a little", "Opposition in ALL things". "Adam fell that men might be", and "Men are that they might have joy". Our Baptismal covenants are to comfort those that stand in need of comfort - and mourn with those that mourn. We all make decisions in life, and THEN learn to forgive, repent, let go and move on.

• Kyre Ogden, UT
    May 22, 2013 11:55 a.m.

I agree that our bodies are temples in that they are the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. However, don't LDS temples have many symbols and engravings all over them? How would a tattoo related to one's faith be any different than these markings I see all over LDS temples? I think people need to really consider what actually "defiles" our bodies. This subject is one I think people rush to judgment on. Maybe I'm just off-base here.

• alabama moundville,hale, AL
    May 22, 2013 12:25 p.m.

I love the fact that God, through His Church, loves all of us and values our uniqueness. It warms my heart to read this story. Human beings are not cookies cut from a cookie cutter. Sister Fox, you are a blessing to the Church. I love being a member of the Church in the mission field. We tend to be a bit more tolerant in some respects.

• Waaandy Bountiful, UT
    May 22, 2013 1:13 p.m.

It's sickening to see some of the judgmental comments on here. Here is a story... a great story, about a girl finding her faith, and instead of welcoming her to the fold, people want to tell her what she needs to fix next. Really - the person was right who talked about the mote and the beam... none of us will have any influence on her judgement.

I'm just glad the missionaries didn't look at her and say, "She has tattoos - she wouldn't make a good member." The gospel is for everyone, and it's a gospel of change. She's changed who she is. Just because she doesn't fit the image that others want her too, doesn't mean she's not worthy, or hasn't been converted. When I look at her face, I see light, I see radiance, and I see Christ in her countenance.

• airskeeter Anacoco, LA
    May 22, 2013 1:29 p.m.

I would think that the LDS Church would embrace a witness with such a testimony. What a dynamic speaker for the generation of kids we have in society. I believe that the worldly judgements by others are truly wrong. This is a personal relationship. I'd welcome her at my Baptist Church, no strings attached!

• LDS Revelations Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2013 2:10 p.m.

I think this ad is likely a calculated PR move by the Church to paint LDS "just like everyone else" and accepting of tattoos/piercing when it is really not. If it were one would expect internal Church publications to have photos of members with sleeves or piercings and feature them as models of faith. They do not. In fact it is just the opposite. Internal materials feature only those who reflect LDS ideals including single piercings for women (none for men), conservative hair styles, and no tattoos.

My guess is the idea came from the Church's agency/in-house PR crew as a way to appeal to younger people and not something that actually reflects LDS Church views on lifestyle or tattoos. It's almost as if Ms. Fox is ome side-show freak paraded around 1) to help LDS appear more accepting and 2) as a novelty for LDS faithful. Obviously novelty and fame trump other concerns.

Is the LDS Church the first advertiser to ever misrepresent reality using an ad or PR campaign? No. I just hope people are aware that this is ad should be taken with same skepticism that any other would be.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 22, 2013 2:42 p.m.

3 comments:

1) I'm glad this woman found the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

2) If her relationshiop with the Savior is as important to her as she says it is, I recommend she check into getting her tatoos removed. I know there is some new procedure where removing tatoos is not as difficult/expensive and painful as it used to be. Why does this matter? Because the Lord doesn't want us to have tatoos. Period. Sure, we are only held accountable for the light and knowledge we have so to judge her for choosing to get tatoos before she had the Gospel is unjust criticism. But now? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that there are many, MANY young men and women who see her NOW with all her tattos, standing at the pulpit bearing her testimony and think "Well, maybe tattos aren't wrong."

3) She is ABSOLUTELY right on this: "I think it's really important if you have a question, don't turn to the Internet, don't turn to other people. If you want to know that God's there, ask him a question — ask HIM." What's so hard to understand about that?

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 22, 2013 2:44 p.m.

@LDS Revelations,

Well obviously it's a PR move to keep talking about her when in reality, as the comments show, tattoos are VERY frowned upon by members. They've been talked down upon by their leaders. But the church is continually trying to increase membership retention by becoming more open ...

Polygamy - no polygamy
    No color - 1978 revelation welcomes color
    No gays, shoot down prop 8 - BYU finally has LGBT group and their is new support for Gays and Gay mormons
    This - that
    This - that

There is a cycle of doing what's needed to keep people in the church.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 22, 2013 2:56 p.m.

"If her relationshiop with the Savior is as important to her as she says it is, I recommend she check into getting her tatoos removed."

Oh MY. Really?

Can the God you imagine really be that shallow?
    What about long hair and beards?

"Why does this matter? Because the Lord doesn't want us to have tatoos. Period."

And some people think the Lord wanted them to fly planes into buildings. They were absolutely sure of that also.

This is why religion is sometimes scary. Power, control and money. It is always there.

• CFBFan Monterey, CA
    May 22, 2013 2:56 p.m.

@Someone Pinch Me, that has to be one of the biggest jaw-dropping comments I've read in a while. I hope you do not wish to speak as someone who can judge a true conversion--regardless if someone has tattoos or not. Perhaps it is wiser to give someone the benefit of a doubt and leave the conversion judging to a higher power.

• Joanne H. American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2013 3:26 p.m.

for SUZKY#1

I don't think it makes any difference to our Heavenly Father if someone who joins Christ's church has tattoos or not. Since none of us are without sin we have no right to judge anyone. We all make choices that we wish we hadn't. There are sins that people have committed that only God knows about because the effects don't show on the outside. Everyone has done things they wish they hadn't, everyone. Also, since she didn't understand her divine worth when she was tattooed that wasn't a sin. We are only accountable for what we know. Being a convert myself and realizing the importance of the Atonement of Jesus Christ in my life and how He freely forgives those who repent, what right does anyone have to tell me that I am still the example of sin just because no one see's my "inner" past sins.

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2013 3:38 p.m.

I think her tattoos are awesome. Colorful and playful designs. Nothing objectionable.

Some people are just old and constantly yelling "Get off my lawn" (read: Get out of my religion).

Stay inked, Al Fox.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    May 22, 2013 7:17 p.m.

I never thought I would agree with LValfre over statements from people of my own faith. On the other hand, I have an internal hypocrisy alarm that made it difficult to read a large number of the comments made on this thread.

The New Testament is not our only source of advice against making judgments. Buddhism is pretty outspoken in that regard, as well. But the LDS Church of 2013 has been very outspoken and adamant on the subject of common decency and tact. You people who seem to want to tell this woman to have her tattoos removed are pontificating in an area that is none of your concern. If she chooses to do so on her own, that would be her decision. Otherwise it is totally and completely and utterly between her and God - therefore none of our business.

Hypocrisy abounds when we accept tattoos on Polynesians because it is part of our culture, but not on a blond woman because it's not part of hers. Citing scripture to substantiate a judgmental statement about another person does not justify the rudeness. Even a tongue stud is nobody else's business.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    May 22, 2013 9:00 p.m.

Many performers at the Polynesian cultural center have tattoos. One performer has his entire upper body tattooed. It is here decision and hers alone on whether or not to remove them. If she does I understand laser surgery is an option. I served in the Army National Guard with a fine soldier and LDS member with tattoos on both arms. Many LDS are to judgemental of others, myself included.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 23, 2013 7:32 a.m.

@ LValfre - No, the LDS church will never change their stance against homosexual activity, particularly 'marriage'. No, "never". I understand your perspective, or rather, I understand where your perspective is coming from but your perspective is based on not understanding who really leads the LDS church. Time will prove my statement correct.

@ Joe Blow - It isn't that God is "shallow", it's that God wants us to respect the gifts that He has given to us, one of the most sacred being our physical bodies. When we are resurrected (and, yes, we will ALL be resurrected) no one will be resurrected with tatoos on their brand new, glorious, bodily temples. Not even the Polynesians. Yes, "sometimes" religion is used to justify "scary"/violent actions. However, not "always". Religion, as a whole, has been used far, far MORE to spur people to loving, kind actions, so please quit trying to justify your total spurning of religion in the name of wisdom. What you seem to not understand is what this woman stated in the article: God, and God alone, is the source of truth, and when He speaks, it is absolute.

Man bows to God and not the other way around.

• donn layton, UT
    May 23, 2013 8:12 a.m.

RE: Osgrath, ” between her and God”
    Tattoos and body piercings, a good test is to determine whether we can honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless and use that particular activity for HER own good purposes. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). The N.T. does not command against tattoos or body piercings, but it also does not give us any reason to believe God would have us get tattoos or body piercings.

An important scriptural principle on issues the Bible does not specifically address is if there is room for doubt whether it pleases God, then it is best not to engage in that activity. Romans 14:23” that anything that does not come from faith is sin”. Our bodies, as well as our souls, have been redeemed and belong to God. Although 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 : “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Therefore honor God with your body.”

Christians should avoid tattoos, but Mormons can default to, A of F #8

• alabama moundville,hale, AL
    May 23, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Sister Fox: I love your uniqueness!!!! You are a blessing to the church!!! I have been debating, in my mind, whether I wanted to move to Utah/out West when I retire. I think I will stay in the mission field. Y'all apparently have wards full of perfect people, as these comments indicate, and my very imperfect self would have a hard time remaining active. Thank y'all for helping me make the decision. I hope Sister Fox stays active with so many criticizing her looks. That is just not very nice of y'all.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 23, 2013 10:46 a.m.

There are lots of people of different religious persuasions that are completely sure that they have the religious answers. Obviously, they cannot all be correct.

It is not unusual for "answers" to lead them to do despicable acts.

A health dose of doubt is a good thing. It might have kept people from flying planes into buildings.

Why cant people just "not Know"? What is wrong with that? I believe that down deep, we are all agnostic. Many just cant admit it.

• raybies Layton, UT
    May 23, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Membership in the church of Jesus Christ of Latterday saints is a precious privilege and gift. I don't care what your past is or what you've done or did, you're fine by me. I know you've got something worth cherishing. Despite all our differences, we gain such strength by gathering. Thanks for sharing your story. It makes us all better.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    May 23, 2013 1:07 p.m.

It's sad that some people choose to judge Al Fox by her appearance instead of by the powerful testimony that comes out of her mouth. It's arguably strongly than any of those who are criticizing her. God has forgiven her for getting those tattoos before she joined the church. Who do you think you are not to do so as well?

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    May 23, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Her testimony is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. So many people can learn so much from Al Fox, both lifelong members of the Church and more recent converts.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    May 23, 2013 5:20 p.m.

There are some Maoris of New Zealand with tattoos applied to ward off evil spirits. That was culturally done long before missionaries landed there.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    May 24, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Al Fox, I love your enthusiasm for your faith. I also appreciate the "journal" videos of your life and testimony. It is amazing seeing the transformation in your life. You were clearly a beautiful and dynamic person before your conversion and now you simply just GLOW and continue to shine brighter and brighter! A light upon a hill for all the world to see!! Keep it up!

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 24, 2013 10:38 a.m.

@ JoeBlow - Far East USA, SC, "I think the world would be a much better place without so much certainty in religion........Why cant people just "not Know"? What is wrong with that? I believe that down deep, we are all agnostic."

Dear Joe, speak for yourself. I am NOT agnostic. I do "know" and someday you and I will meet and the Lord Himself will look you in the eye and tell you that I did in fact "know".

And so can you, if you want to.

Good luck.

• SkaMormon Provo, UT
    May 28, 2013 12:09 p.m.

I actually had the chance to meet Al. She was visiting my roomie. They met in NY while he was doing work there for his BYU business degree. It wasn't the ink that impressed me. It was her bubbly personality. The ink is just the outside. What happened to 1 Samuel 16:7 and Matthew 7:1-2? She has a great conversion story and her background gives a new way for the Gospel to be spread to people who otherwise would not listen. Don't hate. I see a lot of it here. Accept her for who she is, not for what she looks like.

• UtahHSFan LAYTON, UT
    July 1, 2013 11:22 p.m.

I would bet most of you making negative comments about Al have caused more good people in the church to become inactive or question going because of your negative, judgmental, holier than thou attitudes. Typical Utah "I'm better than you" Mormon attitude. The fact that she has some ink on her skin is between her and God. Your opinions mean nothing. Where is the love for this young woman? She has great character, she's a wonderful person, she has a strong testimony, I love this about her. Al, I have watched your videos, and you have such a sweet spirit and a beautiful strong testimony. I am so grateful you are apart of the church that I belong to. I am also thankful that you were able to find the true church of Jesus Christ. Thank you for your example.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 5:00 p.m.

Al Fox is bubbly and beautiful. Those of you criticizing her tattoos or piercings are completely missing the boat.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 26, 2013 5:34 p.m.

Why, in a story about conversion to the LDS Church, do we have so much questioning about sin, judgment critical of a person's past, and caustic comments about Utah Mormons as well as those engaging in the religion blame game? Go back, look at the video again, look at Al Fox's beautiful face, listen to her story, and ignore the tattoos. The youth I know who have heard her speak have said nothing about them, and I don't know a single one that has got a tattoo from their exposure to her. To the critics I say: let that part of her story be between her and the Lord, and pay more attention to the parts that will strengthen you and not get detracted from what she's really saying. She can comment on what she thinks/plans for her tattoos when she's ready. And forget all the irrelevant nonsense about Utah and "religion: the root of all evil."

• natalierose61 Lehi, UT
    Nov. 27, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Remove your tattoos?! "Good intentioned" suggestions like this are exactly why Mormons are accused of being bigots. Who cares - she IS defined as the tattooed Mormon, because that is her story! It's marketing. To define and market herself as a sweet spirit or a daughter of God (while all true) does not carry the weight of the Tattooed Mormon, and would never receive the same publicity - thus have as strong an impact. If others are inspired and want to be tattooed Mormons, that is their choice, and really not for you to worry about.

And her tongue ring? lol I didn't even know it was there until I read these comments, BECAUSE I WAS NOT OUT TO JUDGE HER. I appreciate her lack of transparency, and honestly standing where she is while sharing a message of hope. The funny thing is, anyone who looks at her with shame is probably the same person playing saint on Sunday after watching Porn Saturday night. I honor those who wear honesty on their sleeves, versus the many MANY who simply do all they can to make their dirty sleeves appear clean. Live real. She does.

• natalierose61 Lehi, UT
    Nov. 27, 2013 11:29 a.m.

(Not lack of transparency... Just *Transparency*. I appreciate her transparency)