Utah

Mia Love announces she's officially running against Matheson — again

Comments

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 18, 2013 6:51 p.m.

Ugh gross.

Now we will all be subjected to endless negative campaign ads from the tea party funded Love party 24/7.

I just wonder if the Utah legislature will try and gerrymander the district again? They can only do that every 10 years, right? Hopefully so...

Mia, it is simple. The people of Utah found you empty of ideas and rejected your schtick last time. If your goal is to give Matheson another term then please run again.

• rph Arlington, VA
    May 18, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Again? Or should I say "already"?

• jarber Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 18, 2013 7:22 p.m.

I will happily cast my vote against her again. Prediction ... her margin of loss will be much larger this go around.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 7:41 p.m.

Love needs to clearly articulate her OWN plan - rather than just be the anti-Obama. Seriously, Ms. Love, what are YOU going to do once in office? I did not vote for you last time because I had no idea what you stood for - only what you stood against.

• Annalaurab Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 8:04 p.m.

She probably won't even end up on the final ballot. She will have other GOP challengers and I doubt the delegates will be dumb enough to let her escape a primary. If she does though, she'll loose again. No way will I vote for her.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    May 18, 2013 8:35 p.m.

I'm conservative and Republican. However, Love is too far out for me. She lost me when she said she wanted to privatize Social Security.

• Dr. C Jacksonville , FL
    May 18, 2013 8:37 p.m.

You do realize that the current House of Representatives is the only thing preventing Obama from owning Washington and forcing the rest of his agenda on what's left of our free country. A vote for Matheson is another vote for speaker Nancy Pelosi. How did that work out last time? It's not just about Ms. Love. It's about preventing 2 years of unfettered Obamanation with absolutely nothing to stop him. Politics doesn't end at utahs border.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Naysayers above ignore the fact that Matheson outspent the nearly unknown Mia Love by huge margins with money from unions and liberal pacs, and had near 100% name recognition, but still only managed to get a measly 769 votes more than Ms. Love.

Love has plenty of ideas of her own, and many are shared with other conservatives who actually run things successfully, although nearly all are rejected by the liberals, Democrats, Obama and Matheson (but I repeat myself) who universally run things with unbalanced budgets crippling taxes, stifling economic growth, and ever increasing debt.

I think Ms. Love's ideas are excellent (if critics would ever listen to them) and we desperately need her in Washington to halt our economic and moral decline, and to promote prove conservative ideas that actually work.

Mia Love for Congress 2014!

• Denver2Portland Denver, CO
    May 18, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Republicans are going to do what Democrats did in the '08 presidential race---vote off pure emotion. Republicans will vote because they think it'll be the
    'cool' or 'right thing to do'. Jim will still win and hold on.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Jim Matheson is a merely a lapdog in Congress and for BHO. I want someone with a voice from my District. He certainly doesn't represent my best interests. Anyone but Matheson.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 18, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Please, not two more years of hateful TV ads funded by anonymous persons. Or corporations. Or whoever they are.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 18, 2013 10:48 p.m.

She should win with Hatch's campaign manager all he had to do to win was to spend the $12 million in Hatch's war chest and good thing because this time around Hatch has done......? Actually he continues to do what he has done. Point fingers when his party is not in control and be a non-useful item when his party has the reins.

DN susbscriber you need to be watchful of who you vote for. You say the moral and fiscal decline yet Allan Greenspan said 6 months before the election that Mitts fiscal plan would incur at least 25% greater deficit than Pres Obama's.

Colin Powell said he would not vite for Mitt even though he is staunch GOP because Mitt had the same military advisers that George Bush employed when he sent 4000 military to their deaths in Iraq. Not sure that is moral!

Mia you have told your story and many listened, but this time around there is no new news, sad to say you will probably be recognized as someone similar to Hatch who hasn't got anything for us as a state but would love to get elected.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2013 11:26 p.m.

She brings the crazy, that's for sure. Utah County at it's best.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2013 6:29 a.m.

Mia stands for limited government and responsible government. Can't we see the result of "Chicago-style politics" the Democratic party espouses? Mia epitomizes "Utah-style politics".

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    May 19, 2013 6:45 a.m.

Does anyone know what Matheson has done or said about all the scandals in the past months? Has he laid low and not said anything? If he has, how has this done anything for the people of Utah or our Country? If you are a puppet of your party, you will lay low. If you truly are for the people, you will seek for the truth and expose people and things for what they are!

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    May 19, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Speculation, speculation. If the Speaker of the Utah House, Greg Curtis can be beat by a Democrat, it doesn't seem unfounded that MIA can beat Matheson. Gosh, maybe no one can beat Matheson and he will be our representative forever. Maybe the people who didn't vote last time will vote this time and Mia will be our Representative. Maybe people will wake up and realize it does matter who is representing us. I believe the election is going to be held this November. Wrong. It is the beauty of being in the House of Representatives, it seems like the election is in November since a Representative is always running until he/she get tired of doing it. Matheson will either quit eventually, get voted out, or be carried out, so for those who oppose or support Matheson, both will have the same results. My advice is don't count Mia out since it was not a fluke last time. She is the real deal.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 19, 2013 8:53 a.m.

@DNsubscriber.... I do think this time around will be a tougher go at it...but you blah blah unions and liberal this and that... good grief.... Love got huge amounts of out of state funding and support. She had hardly done anything yet as mayor to deserve a spot on the stage of the Republican convention. Pretending she had less out of state help than Matheson.

I do hope she runs on her own platform, rather than "we need her to stop Obama". That in itself is just about the worst reason to vote for anyone. You should not be forced into voting against someone. Mia needs to have compelling positives of her own... otherwise she would end up as an empty chair puppet to be used by people who don't have Utah's best interest at heart.

Lets hope for a good open debate on issues.... not political brainlessness.

• danaslc Kearns, UT
    May 19, 2013 9:06 a.m.

As an Independent living in Utah, I say don't fix what is not broken. Matheson is not broken.

• Kipp Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2013 9:07 a.m.

The Tea Party needs to fizzle out. They cost Bob Bennett, a proven leader and voice for Utah, his seat. Can he GOP please find a better alternative to oust Matheson?

• DaveRL OGDEN, UT
    May 19, 2013 9:09 a.m.

If she worked at being mayor as much as she does running for office she might get something worthwhile accomplished.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 19, 2013 10:08 a.m.

re: UTAH Bill

Mia would do the same thing Lee, Orrin, & Jason do. Pander to the base when "offended"

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 19, 2013 10:10 a.m.

at DaveRL

So? You are saying the Sarah Palin approach doesn't work? Hmmmmmm. Go figure?

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2013 11:01 a.m.

I would like to see Mia cross over and run in another district. Surely, she would be a better choice than some of the other republican representatives serving now. With no Romney coattails this time, I doubt she will win another race with Matheson. I feel we need at least one democrat representing our state and would support him over Love.

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    May 19, 2013 5:23 p.m.

Hopefully people learned something from last time. Mia represents Utah, Matheson represents the liberals who hate the good things that Utah represents. It's that easy....any questions? Then read the comments by Matheson supporters. : )

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 19, 2013 6:27 p.m.

"Mia stands for limited government and responsible government."

What does that even mean? Will she refuse bribes from the nra or koch bros? Cut defense spending?

I went to Mia's website when she was running to read about her plans and couldnt find any. In fact, your quote listed above was essentially all that it said on her website. So what does that mean? I have heard only 2 actual "plans" from ms love.

#1 to get rid of student aid. Hilarious, since she used government subsidized student loans to get through college.
    #2 privatize social security. One horrible idea which will never happen.

So Mia has 2 plans. One of them seems selfish and fairly unrealistic to achieve. The other, one horrible and unrealistic idea coming from the far reaches of even the radical sides of the tea party. Privatize social security??? Such a horrible idea!

Saying that she is an example of Utah-style governing is an insult upon those governors and dedicated peoples who with built a sprawling community from the desert.

The pioneers would have failed had they had the GOP's current defeatist attitude.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    May 19, 2013 10:09 p.m.

She has taken good lessons from the party elite and taking advantage at the Convention to publicize she was making her notice. She was not an elected official and those that would want to run against her don't have this initial push that she got from this convention. The outgoing chairman let things go as if he didn't have a say in what happened. He bent the rules on voting at his will. The publicity with the No or Aye count was definitely a franchiser for the Tea-Party and Eagle Forum FreedomWorks people that should not have happened with the electronic voting available. Mix and Match???

By the time the Medicaid and Common Core resolutions were there only about half the delegates were there due to the attitude of those running the convention and people like the former U.S. Representative in her negative voice and actions. Deja Vu!

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    May 20, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Great; now we get to watch 2 more years of Love attack ads against Matheson. I'm so not looking forward to it.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Denver - I would be more than happy to vote for a Democrat if he was against everything our current dictator in cheif and his croonies seem to belive in.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 8:45 a.m.

Some of the prev. comments seem to confirm my suspicion that nothing threatens liberals more then an intelligent woman. Mia has my vote!!!

• Danish American Payson, UT
    May 20, 2013 9:40 a.m.

@Kipp: I would trade Bob Bennett any day of the week and twice on Saturday for Mike Lee. You look in the dictionary under RINO and there's Bob's picture along with McCain, Graham, and Huntsman.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    May 20, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Excellent. Mia is a great person. If you don't know what she stands for you weren't reading or listening. She articulated it well. And, if she does nothing else but slow down the ruinous actions of Obama and his ilk, that's enough for me. She is bright, moral, family values, walks the walk she talks and will be a very good legislator. I like Matheson, but, he and Hatch need to step aside. Chaffetz for Senate and Mia for the House. Intelligent representation with passion.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    May 20, 2013 10:50 a.m.

My previous comment didn't pass the censors. Let me try again.
    Many of us were not impressed by the way she handled the Mother Jones allegation of her anchor baby story.
    Specifically, she claimed that the Lee Benson story of a year earlier was false.
    Frankly, I wanted an explanation. I felt her answer was lacking.
    She lost votes over that.
    She needs to resolve the problem with an answer, even if it means an apology to Benson.

• Healthy Skeptic Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 20, 2013 11:02 a.m.

Note to 1st, 2nd and 3rd district citizens, and non-Utah residents...thank you for your opinion, but perhaps you should focus your attention on your own congressman.

Since our new Representative will be “bound by Oath…to support [the] Constitution”, the members of Utah’s 4th congressional district will judge each candidate by his/her commitment to that Constitution. This includes not only the enumerated powers and limits in the Articles, but those in the Amendments. If Mayor Love is committed to free speech, free press, free exercise of religion, the personal bearing of Arms, Equal Protection, the presumption that all powers rest primarily with the States, etc., she will have my vote. Congressman Matheson subscribes to a political party that has proven that it is not committed to these things, and in fact embraces positions that are destructive to the ends for which Governments are established. I have nothing against Jim. He usually represents me well. The onus is on Mayor Love to make the case that she is committed to a limited government that will secure our right to pursue happiness.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    May 20, 2013 12:38 p.m.

To "UtahBlueDevil" apparently she did run on more than just stopping Obama. Read the post from Bloodhound.

To "Bloodhound" that idea of privatizing Social Security was first a Clinton idea, not exactly a "right wing" idea source.

The funny thing about all of the liberals declaring that they won't vote for Mia Love, don't really give any argument for voting for Matheson other than Matheson isn't Mia Love.

Tell us liberals, what has Matheson done that makes him a better candidate than Love?

• rph Arlington, VA
    May 20, 2013 12:52 p.m.

So, my favorite part about reading these comments is when readers rail against the Obama administration for being so awful (spending, taxes, debt, etc.) yet take no consideration of how hypocritical their criticism is based on the most recent rule of a Republic president. Republicans seem to be fiscal conservatives only when there is a Democrat in the White House. Republicans never met a spending hike they didn't like under Bush and had no problem with the budget deficit until Obama became president. Oh, and balanced budgets? Guess who the last guy to do that was? Stifling economic growth? What would you call 2008? How about total economic meltdown.

• jrgl CEDAR CITY, UT
    May 20, 2013 1:22 p.m.

During the last election watching TV one would think there was only one race in Utah, the Mia Love vs. Jim Matheson Race. I was so relieved when the election was over so I wouldn't have to see one more of those nonstop negative attack ads. Can't say I was happy when Mia Love announced her nomination as I don't want to see all her negative ads nonstop!
    I'm not in her district, nor Jim's (thanks gerrymandering) but I sure wish the TV could show those Mia Love ads to those in her district only! Ugh!

• airnaut Everett, 00
    May 20, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Mia --
    Seriously, what did she run on other than -- Mitt Romney's coat-tails?

"Mitt Romney needs Mia Love in Congress"?

M-I-A,
    Missing In Action

• Kipp Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 3:59 p.m.

@Danish American....RINO? I would trade Bob Bemnett any day of the week as well! That's a great point. I think that you may have meant that you would trade Mike Lee for Bob Bemnett :)

I stand by my previous comments that the Tea Party needs to fizzle out. Extreme divide in politics, to the point of standstills helps no one. More and more (on both sides of the isle) are concerned about who is right, rather than what's best for this nation. Call Bennett RINO all you want, but he saw the big picture. Lee and Chaffetz do not. Nor do a lot of prominent democrats. I do fully agree with you on Huntsman.

I am conservative, more moderate than fanatical. I am suggesting that a better candidate emerge than Ms. Love, otherwise Matheson will cruise to yet another victory.

• HS Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Things will be a lot tougher for Mia without Brother Mitt at the head of the ticket next time around.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Everyone should run for something constantly all the time and attack 200 percent of the time Hannity style.

• Yellow Jackets Farmington, UT
    May 20, 2013 9:06 p.m.

She has my vote. Go Mia!

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    May 21, 2013 1:32 p.m.

I hope Mia wins.. not because I think she's the right person for the job... I just don't want another Merrill Cook leagacy to develop. One of those is enough.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    May 22, 2013 8:59 a.m.

In Texas, we hear absolutely zero about (or from) Jim Matheson -- but then again I don't hear much about my own Congressman. We do hear about Senators Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee, and much from Jason Chaffetz, who is doing a great job not allowing the current Administration to sweep Benghazi under the rug. With Benghazi, there are some real issues, beyond political points, that apply directly to the competency and trustworthiness of the government.

I think Mia Love would bring more star power to Utah if that's what you want. I think most people were enamored with Mia Love from her appearances at the GOP Convention and her TV appearances. I was disappointed she barely lost out last time and I've been hoping she would run for the seat again.

For fun, I looked into the voting record scores of Matheson over the years. I collected the scores of groups since 2001 identified as either Conservative or Liberal and found the average score from Conservative groups (139 assessments) was 43%, while the average score from Liberal groups (69 assessments) was 52%.