Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood proving to be a gem for Cougar baseball

Comments

• Unbelievable West Jordan, Utah
    May 18, 2013 9:11 p.m.

Dispite being a fierce competitor, on the field, he is quite humble away from it. I think of others whom are successful who fall into this category like, Tyler Haws, Dale Murphy, Eric Weddle, Ty Detmer. Their successes have proven them champions. A sixth sense, if you will.

Sky's the limit for this kid!

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    May 19, 2013 12:37 a.m.

He's made me a fan.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    May 19, 2013 12:44 a.m.

Anyone who saw how Coach Littlewood ran his program at Dixie State and had the chance to interact with him (or for that matter watched him as a college basketball referee--he refereed Elite Eight games in the NCAA Tournament) is not surprised that his success at BYU has been so immediate.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 19, 2013 6:24 a.m.

Any success from any BYU team is sweet to me. I watched all 3 games on BYUtv and it was wonderful. Frankly, I'm not as crazy about baseball as I am about football and basketball but I was just as elated to watch BYU swept this last series against the Gaels.

Go Cougars!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 19, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Great progress for the program... I particularly like the part about winning the season series (AGAIN) against Utah... Actually, when you look at it, the only sport that we have trouble with Utah in is Gymnastics... And it's only a matter of time.

• Snark Provo, UT
    May 20, 2013 8:53 a.m.

I was at the first of three games against St Marys. Our team plays with remarkable energy and skill. I invite all to attend the games when you can. It is a great brand of baseball and a perfect place to renew your love of the game.

• GSODirt south jordan, utah
    May 20, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Littlewood is a winner. The program has lacked passion for several years, so it's refreshing to see and feel the excitement again with baseball!

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    May 20, 2013 2:44 p.m.

Poyman - Do you watch football?
    For that matter, BYU has undeniably owned Utah in basketball. However, they mustered a one point win, at home, last season. To borrow your own words, it's only a matter of time.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 20, 2013 2:57 p.m.

"He’s a perfectionist, a motivator who isn’t afraid to call people out, push buttons or take away playing time. In the process, he shows plenty of evidence that he’s part baseball sage and part swami. In short, he gets people to step forward and find a way."

I liked that, he isn't afraid to call people out, push buttons or take away playing time. Very simple approach that will take him a long way and keep chemistry on his teams strong and healthy. I hope Coach Mendenhall is paying attention. In a nutshell it's called holding players accountable (instead of letting the lunatics run the institution).

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    May 20, 2013 3:14 p.m.

The Cougars will dispatch Arizona State Tuesday.
    The Cougars will destroy the other teams in the WCC Tournament later this week.
    The Cougars will be the favorite in whatever regional they are assigned.
    The Cougars will go to Omaha and bring the NCAA Championship home to Provo.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 4:12 p.m.

"Actually, when you look at it, the only sport that we have trouble with Utah in is Gymnastics"

....You serious Clark?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 20, 2013 7:31 p.m.

....You serious Clark?"

In an honest world you have to throw football into that discussion too. I'm really hoping that this go around Anae brings a little fire to the BYU side of the rivalry. I think part of the problem in the past has been Bronco is too buttoned down, staid and business like when approaching the Holy War while the utes really do consider it a "Holy War" and consider us to be infidel dogs.

Maybe this year we'll play our best game of the year in the HOly War for a change instead of playing our worst.

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    May 21, 2013 9:18 p.m.

Billy Budd

"The Cougars will dispatch Arizona State Tuesday."

So far, your first prediction is looking good.

BYU leading ASU 7-0, bottom of the 6th inning.

• sg newhall, CA
    May 22, 2013 10:50 a.m.

Congrats to the Cougs. Now the UofU needs to re-evaluate their coach and assistant coaches. Frankly, they stink. With the talent they have they should have still been playing. I know a player on the team and he's says the way these coaches deal with the players creates a hostile environment and pits teammate against teammate. The coaches at the U and not PAC-12 calibre. With that being said, the Cougs have surprised a whole lot of people this year. I hope they continue their magic on the field in post season.

• Buffalo1 McLean, VA
    May 22, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Time to give the man a raise ...