Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again

Comments

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    May 16, 2013 7:44 p.m.

USU went 3-0 against current MW teams last year (CSU, UNLV, SJSU) and 2-1 the year before (Wyoming SJSU, fluke loss to CSU). Both USU and SJSU will challenge for the MW championship in their first year.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 16, 2013 7:44 p.m.

The Aggies are still the red headed freckled stepchild of the sisters of the poor. Even being the outcast of independence (like BYU) is better than the being the Aggies.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 16, 2013 7:50 p.m.

Greatest college ever!

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    May 16, 2013 8:24 p.m.

@ Silent Lurker;

Sounds like we have a hater on our hands... my my, are we upset about the Aggies giving the Utes a serving of humble pie last year?

The Aggies are very respectable (though we all admit that hasn't always been the case); are those PAC-12 goggles so thick and rose-colored that even u can't see that? I'll be rooting for them this year, same as always, except for one game of course ;)

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 16, 2013 9:36 p.m.

Silent lurker
    Strange name. But amyways. The Utes rocked the PAC-12. Right there with CU. class of the conference.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2013 12:12 a.m.

Utah will be IN
    Byu and usu will be OUT

I love my PAC 12 membership!

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2013 7:20 a.m.

@ CC Cosmo
    You have to root for the Aggies because your cougars cannot win against the UTES. How does it feel to be the outcast of Independence? Even the ag's are wanted by someone!

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:13 a.m.

@Aggielove
    How many games have your aggies won against the Utes in the last five, ten, fifteen, or twenty years? Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn eventually. It took the aggies ten years being at home and overtime to find theirs.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    May 17, 2013 8:58 a.m.

@ christine.
    I'd rather be a fan of a double digit win lower echelon school or an 8 win independant than a can't win doesn't belong and never has belonged 5 win PAC 10.2 school. You keep wishing you actually belonged in the PAC 10. That was a free handout if I've ever seen one.
    I love my PAC 10 membership!
    Go Trojans!

• Aggiealum Las Vegas, NV
    May 17, 2013 9:54 a.m.

The Aggies will do well this year in the Mountain West in football. I don't see any team in the Mountain West beating them in their current schedule except for maybe Boise state and that's a maybe because USU will play them at home and I like USU's chances. Even USU basketball will surprise people in their first year. Don't ever underestimate Stew!

@ Chris B

When it comes to rivals, I don't care about conference affiliation. All I care about is what happened in the last game. Do I need to remind you what happened in the last game? And as for Utah IN and USU out, where was Utah in the last bowl season? OUT!

• Loud Loiterer Sandy, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:26 a.m.

@SilentLurker I love how entitled all of you Utah fans are. You guys are actually getting to be as bad as the Cougar fans. I'd even be willing to bet that you're one of the thousands of Utah-lovers who never even attended school there! I'm starting to think that all you "sidewalk-fans" are beginning to outnumber actual Utah Alumni. As for your claims that USU is the "red-headed step child" as you called it, I've got news for you pal... We've stepped out of the shadows. We're coming for you. And on August 29th, we're coming into your house and leaving with your game ball. There is nothing more dangerous than an opponent who is continuously underestimated. Get ready for a world of hurt, my friend. The storm is coming...

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Love Utah State and wish them the best of luck in the Mountain West Conference! ... oh and against Utah if they ever play them again.

• Aggiealum Las Vegas, NV
    May 17, 2013 10:57 a.m.

@ Loud Loiterer

I couldn't agree more. Utah fans are becoming as annoying and full of excuses like BYU fans. The euphoria of being in the PAC 12 conference is getting old and genuinely disturbing. Good for Utah that they are in the PAC 12, but eventually you have to actually beat teams in the PAC 12. As for USU they are on the rise and I agree that they will give the Utes another spanking in their own stadium on August 29th. Unlike Utah and BYU, Utah State doesn't have quarterback drama. Keeton is our man, and with the majority of the team returning, USU is going to have sustainability for the long haul. It's great to be an Aggie!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2013 11:10 a.m.

I absolutely love USU joining the MWC. It is a great fit and provides the stability the Aggies have longed for. I also love the Aggie trends. USU football has made major improvements in every area over the past 5 years. It hurt to lose Gary, but the program he inspired isn't losing a step. Aggies will compete well in their new conference in football and basketball from the get go.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    May 17, 2013 11:18 a.m.

As an outsider I feel justified in ranking all your fans according to how bad and annoying they are. You almost got it right but the order is: utah as the worst (you can keep telling yourselves you belong in the PAC 10 but as aggiealum states you actually need to start beating us)then BYU and then Utah State. However if Utah State keeps winning and garners more fandom you need to watch out because you may become just as bad as the other two.
    Go Trojans!

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    May 17, 2013 11:22 a.m.

I've always found Utah State fans to be classy folks. When I attended games in Logan and visited friends there during my undergraduate days, the hospitality and the feel of the place left a good impression on me. I'd put their classiness and hospitality up there with the Notre Dame fans in South Bend, IN. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about some of our other in state neighbors who are extremely anti-BYU and/or anti-Mormon. I hope the Aggies take their conference and win all their football games except for one next season. :)

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    May 17, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Aggielove is wrong. USU isn't the greatest college ever. But that's not really the point of the story. What the point is I do not know.

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2013 2:27 p.m.

BYU will eventually be compelled to rejoin the MWC if they want to keep their football program. But if they so love & adore the religious make-up of the WCC, then they should do the right thing and drop their football program not to mention use the missionary buildup years to drastically scale back their enrollment to Rexburg levels. An LDS Church school like BYU should have no business circumventing or detracting from the academic or athletic mission of state operated "research" institutions and this is all BYU has done for the past half century. Ever since BYU pushed Utah State aside back in 1961 when the WAC was formed this has been an ongoing problem. Time for the brethren to end the experiment and do the right thing.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:03 p.m.

@ Loud Loiterer, Aggiealum

Hey, just because SOME fans can't see anyone but their own team in a positive light (and never see their team in a negative one) doesn't mean all fans are that way. I know classy and obnoxious fans for all three schools mentioned. So please stop lumping us all into the Chris B.-type category. This is one cougar fan who wants all three teams to succeed, honest to goodness. As for the games against each other...let's just say that I'm expecting some real good football this coming season :)

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:12 p.m.

I'm 90% Ute and 10% Aggie. I went to USU my freshman year and consider them my second team. I went to the game last year as a Utah fan and within 1 minute of walking in was shoved against a wall and seconds away from coming to blows with the kid. I didn't start it either and I had never felt more disrespected in my life.

But, every fan base has their idiots (Utah and BYU included). I'm glad they are in the MWC now; I think it is the perfect fit for the Aggies. Looking forward to this year's showdown at RES. Don't expect a win this year though.

Go Utes!

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2013 3:43 p.m.

christy

"Regardless of future changes to the football landscape there will be two constants."

Actually, three:

Utah will be IN the basement and OUT of the rankings
    BYU will be OUT on their own and adding to their ever-growing list of Top 25 finishes
    USU will be somewhere in the middle

• Loud Loiterer Sandy, UT
    May 21, 2013 9:37 a.m.

@Y's little brother

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. I love how every season Bronco claims that he's working with the most talented group that he's ever coached. Even funnier is the fact that all the Y fans believe him and then endure another 5-loss season. But hey... If you Cougars weren't claiming to be the next national champions at the beginning of every season, it just wouldn't feel right. That's what we've all come to know and love about the Y's naive and loyal following... YOU CAN'T KEEP A COUGAR DOWN. haha

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 23, 2013 5:16 p.m.

"The bad news for USU is there will be fewer New Mexico States or Idahos on the schedule." -- Brad Rock

No Brad, that's just more of the GOOD news. Nobody likes watching their team play the uninteresting NMSUs or Idaho cupcakes of the world. Well...nobody except for the Indy-WACers. This step up on competition will certainly result in more tickets sold, and higher revenues for Utah State.

Go Aggies!

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    May 25, 2013 12:58 a.m.

@Y's little brother

Just because you were ranked in the top 25 last year doesn't mean it's a garrentee every year. This is gonna be a whole different story now that Anderson jumped ship to a bigger/better school.