High school football: Riley Nelson hired as offensive coordinator at Logan High

Comments

• Malihini Northern, UT
    May 16, 2013 5:38 p.m.

Congratulations and all the best to you Riley. All of Cougar nation wishes you the best and our sincere gratitude for all you did at BYU. You gave everything you had to the team and to the school and BYU fans thank you.

May you continue to represent the values of BYU in your profession as well as you did while a student athlete.

Blessings to you....

• Super Trooper Richfield, UT
    May 16, 2013 6:43 p.m.

What else is he doing? Is he teaching at Logan High or doing some other job. I know how much head football coaches make in this state and I have to seriously scratch my head at how this is "a job" to support his family!!!

I guess he liked his few years in Provo, but at the end of the day - Logan is STILL where it's at!!!

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:30 p.m.

Reading aides and librarians are being cut from one Utah school district, while another has the money to hire an "offensive coordinator" for a football team. This pretty much says it all about the state of the American education system.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:48 p.m.

jp3 he will make maybe 2-3000 dollars (coaches receive a small stipend for their work) for being the offensive coordinator at the high school, which is going to be essentially pennies on the dollar for the amount of work and impact he will have on those boys. If anything, coaches are underpaid in this state. In Texas, it's a 6 figure profession. Most of the time, the money from the football fundraising pays for the coaches anyway.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 16, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Why the negative remarks ? Nelson is starting his coaching career at a low paying job in his hometown like many others who break into the business. It is his business on how he affords to do the job. I wish him the best and think he will be a fine coach.

• mohrman Payson, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:37 p.m.

JP3...do you have to be negative about a young man getting a job in something he is good at and can build youth with character. Why so negative at things you seem to know little about. You comment on librarians and reading aides...if schools would combine resources and share a state or multi-district library system, they would save quite a bit of money but instead money gets literally thrown away for redundant services. As for sports, yes, they pay coaches and last I checked after having a child play high school sports, families pay to watch those games as do many other in the community. Sports cost money but one of the few things that also generates money and when done correct, is an asset to a community. Why can't people just be happy for others instead of just always looking for negative. Good luck to Riley Nelson.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:37 p.m.

I have always respected Riley. A man of great character. It was sad to see a fellow student get lambasted the way he did last year. Btw, Is Riley still going to to med school?

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 11:33 p.m.

morhman--Money gets "literally thrown away? Ha! I'm a teacher, and yes, I literally throw money in the garbage can at school because I have nothing better to do. All these posts prove my point--we spend an inordinate amount of time and money on school sports for a precious few--I call it sports for the athletically gifted and talented--when we should provide opportunities for everyone to play a team sport, not just the top one percent at a school. And when was the last time the media reported a top student at BYU or U of U taking a job as a reading teacher or a math teacher? Isn't that just as or if not more important? Our priorities are way out of balance regarding sports in high schools--that's not negative, that's reality.

• nitroboy Glendale, CA
    May 17, 2013 7:36 a.m.

jp3...Lighten up Francis. He is probably making all of 3 or 4 thousand dollars for a year's work. He is paid a stipend just like every other walk-on coach in America and is probably doing it for free.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 17, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Jp3
    Did you play sports in school?

• The53 TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    May 17, 2013 7:51 a.m.

jp3 - I am a para-professional coach, doing most likely what Mr. Nielsen is doing, I work a full time job and then go and coach at a local high school. I hope to one day be a teacher also. I would be interested to know how much time you spend outside of school making your students better people. Of all the teacher/coaches that I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with a lot of them sacrifice hours upon hours outside the classroom as coaches to help do just that, make young people better and more well rounded. I applaud their efforts, and yes they get paid for it. But how else would you expect these athletic teams function. I don't see you jumping up and down to volunteer your time and talents free of charge. And trust me the money they make really is pennies per hour. You mention that "we should be provide opportunities for everyone to play a team sport, not just the top one percent at school." How would you fund these additional teams, by letting go more reading aids and librarians? The opportunities are there, kids just need to take advantage.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    May 17, 2013 8:43 a.m.

I thought that Riley was going to medical school. Have those goals been "lost"?

• mhilton Lancaster, CA
    May 17, 2013 9:31 a.m.

The focus is on Nelson as a football coach because he was a high-profile player for the BYU team. It's not taking away from any one else's choices or professions. Like everyone else is saying, this is a part time position that he wants to do. Doesn't mean he's giving up everything else in his life.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:18 a.m.

Big Deal!!!!

• danny58 bothell, WA
    May 17, 2013 10:36 a.m.

jp3, last time i checked they were reporting on an athlete taking a job as a coach in the sports section of a newspaper....whats the problem again?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:38 a.m.

jp3,

Re: "when was the last time the media reported a top student at BYU or U of U taking a job as a reading teacher or a math teacher?"
    ________

Have you ever seen a "Math" or "Reading" section in the newspaper? If there was one, and we all cared enough to follow the most prolific college mathematicians, then perhaps the DNews would post an article in that section letting us know where that persons post college career was beginning.

So yeah, maybe you and I should petition for the DNews to add a Math section, I'm sure they'll listen to our request.

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:39 a.m.

JP3, competitive sports programs build morale and cohesiveness for the student body and character for most of the players, and boosts student achievement for the players who are struggling academically, especially at smaller schools. It motivates the lower-achieving players to stay in school, rather than dropping out. The schools I have been affiliated with have had a minimum GPA standard for its players. I think that competitive sports programs, as well as other extracurricular activities, help students cope and achieve better things later on in life.

As a former teacher at smaller schools, I found that libraries could be run effectively by other means at little expense to student achievement. While some skilled reading aides are essential, I have seen schools that use parental volunteers for the majority of the students, promoting parental involvement in the children's education. Parental involvement boosts student achievement and builds families, so it's a win-win situation.

This comes from someone who would have liked to be a school librarian, but chose a different path because of job outlook.

• Gorum The Old Madison, AL
    May 17, 2013 10:44 a.m.

JP3

Assistant High School Coaches make significantly less than minimum wage when you divide their stipend by the number of hours they put in. My high school offensive coordinator made about $2 per hour, and that is at a school that averaged 4-5 DI football players per year.

"I call it sports for the athletically gifted and talented"

In football no one is cut. People of all strengths, size, speed, and abilities can play. A few examples:

A 5'7 170 lbs kid who was was one of the slowest and weakest Linebacker on the team (and by a lot) Worked really hard and became the starting LB his senior year, was picked for the local allstar game and ended up being the games MVP.

a 5'6" 135lb Defensive lineman, the smallest kid on the team, joined his JR year and started despite his diminutive side. His Sr year he started 2 games and was the MVP of one of them.

There are tons of stories like these. (cont in next post)

• Gorum The Old Madison, AL
    May 17, 2013 10:45 a.m.

continued from previous post

Then there are all of the kids who graduate high school because of football. All athletes are required to keep a 2.0 GPA. At least half of my team would not have graduated if it hadn't been for this requirement.

Then there are the scholarships. 4-5 kids earning full ride scholarships per year, most of the kids who get them would never have gone to college otherwise. Those scholarships amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars toward the education of those who wouldn't normally have the importunity.

I would say that that is worth hiring a coach for less than $2 per.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:50 a.m.

Should be a pretty simple offense, only 3 plays but each play has some variations that can be run from them:
    1. QB run right
    2. QB run left
    3. QB run up the middle

on any of the plays the QB has the option to fling the ball up in the general direction of a teammate or in the general direction of an opposing player.

• mightyd Hurricane, UT
    May 17, 2013 11:33 a.m.

@Bigcougar

...pretty funny............

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 17, 2013 12:14 p.m.

When I first saw the article, I misread it as "Riley Nelson Hired at Defensive Coordinator at Logan High." It made more sense that way . . who better to advise a defense on creating turnovers than Riley Nelson, the man who gave to the opposition so freely?

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2013 1:24 p.m.

With all due respect, wasn't he going to med school? What happened? I understand that he wants into coaching, but this seems like a terrible decision. It will be interesting to see how he is received in Logan now.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    May 17, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Riley was at BYU what Rudy was at Notre Dame. Both had a severe lack of college football talent and/or size but both had a lot of heart and gave everything they had. Too bad Rudy only had one game and too bad Riley just couldn't quite get BYU where they needed to be because based purely on both of their hearts and work ethics, they deserved better than what they got.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Nelson finally finds a good fit

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2013 5:18 p.m.

I wish Riley all the best. He gave everything he had at BYU and I sincerely appreciate it. I am willing to bet he will become a fine coach.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 18, 2013 7:51 a.m.

Man, some of you are quick to turn nasty. Planning on going to medical school and getting started in medical school are two different things, and it's about more than just passing the test. Don't be surprised if you find he still pursues that dream.

I'm not too worried about how he will be received in Logan. There, detractors will have to look him in the eye.

Oh, and you forgot the "bounce the pass off one receiver into the hands of another for a touchdown, ripping the heart out of your former team-mates" play. That was a good one.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 20, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I still think the best Riley play of all-time was when he high fived the official. Classic.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 20, 2013 11:06 a.m.

There are many that may question RN's ability or QB prowess, but I don't think anyone can question his heart. Broken ribs, punctured lungs...imagine if someone with Jake Heaps talent had such heart? I attended a football minicamp for the city with my son when Riley was one of the instructors. He was amazing with the kids, not just how he taught but how they all rallied with him and what he was asking them to do. You saw BYU players do the same...his teammates loved him. That's why he will be a great coach, kids will want to give him all they've got, he just has that personality. Best of luck Riley and thanks for all you did for BYU!

• sls Columbia, MO
    May 20, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Riley will be a great coach because he was a gutty football player. His injuries took away his opportunities for greatness on the field, but he will still instill greatness in his players because he will motivate them to give their best.

Never forget that there was a noticeable change in attitude and in determination of the other players when Riley Nelson took over the reins as QB of the BYU football team.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2013 10:37 a.m.

This much I can guarantee: Riley Nelson is a better football player by miles than any of his critics on this message board.

Why don't you first make your High School team before bashing a guy who set State records. Next...

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    May 21, 2013 4:08 p.m.

All the aggies turning on this guy is funny. He's a good player. I hate to say it because I'm a Mustang but I think he will do some good for Logan this season. After the season they had last year I think they need him. We all remember Logan was supposed to dominate Timpview and they didn't. Maybe Riley will help the team live up to the fan's talk.