Faith

Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing football and faith

Comments

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 6:58 a.m.

Noting but respect for Eric Weddle. Great football player with great priorities!

• Utes22 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 16, 2013 7:16 a.m.

Very interesting article about Eric Weddle. I've really enjoyed all of these articles and am looking forward to being able to pick up Weddle's book. He is a great Ute alum and is a fantastic safety for the Chargers. Once again I am excited to see him play in the upcoming season and am excited to see what the new coaching staff can do there. Good luck to San Diego and Eric Weddle.

Go Utes!!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 8:10 a.m.

So its bad when Mormon Utes go to basketball games on Sunday(which I was told many times on these boards during the season when Utah has Sunday games) and its ok for Mormons to play football on Sundays.

Which is it?

I love Weddle and I love his success as a Charger.

I just dislike the flip flopping by the Mormons who criticize me on these boards when I say its fine to do sports on Sundays, and then your own kind do the exact same thing.

Go Utes!

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 16, 2013 8:46 a.m.

True Chris

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    May 16, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Chris B,
    I am sorry if commenters here chose to criticize you rather than to just disagree with you. I bet that if you asked Steve Weddle what he would think of a proposal by the NFL to switch to Saturday games, he would think it was great that he wouldn't have to "work" on Sunday any more. We live in an imperfect world and thus not everyone honors the Sabbath. Not everyone even acknowledges it or knows about it. Thus, people like Steve Weddle, doctors, police officers, etc. that would prefer not to work on Sundays end up having to work on Sundays. You might say that they should just choose different careers. I would say that having people that value the Sabbath in all corners of society pays a benefit that justifies their sacrifice.
    When people criticize a policy that results in what they believe is violating the Sabbath, they are simply trying to influence society for the better. The fact that neither society, others, nor they themselves are perfect doesn't invalidate their objective. I accept that you may not agree. I would hope that all would try to disagree without being disagreeable.
    UofU class of 1981

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Chris,

I personally believe that it's a difference between being entertained and thus causing others to work on the Sabbath (the fans), and having to show up for your job (Weddle). I think most Mormons make this distinction, although some probably believe that Weddle could choose another career (that's what BYU's Eli Herring did). That said, I'm in no position to judge others, including you, fans attending Sunday games, Eric Weddle, or those you claim are flip-flopping.

Go Utes.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 16, 2013 8:59 a.m.

@Chris B

If people criticized you, they are wrong. You have your freedom, but ChrisB, you do bring much of this upon yourself with your comments at times.

I never knew Weddle was a Mormon, I always admired him as a FB player even though I am not a Ute fan. I love his tenacity, passion and the way he plays the game.

As for LDS thoughts, I am LDS. Sunday is a day to keep reverent and not participate in activities like sports. This is Mr. Weddle's job, no different than a Doctor, Police, etc. that works on Sundays to support their families. I support and applaud Weddle for that. I personally try not to engage in much activity on Sundays. Am I perfect? Absolutely not, I make mistakes just like anyone. But I am only responsible for me and teaching my kids, not Weddle, you or anyone else. I try to be the best I can be and hopefully I am a good example. That is all I can do.

But Chris to understand something you have to give effort, you are argumentative a lot of the time.

GO BRUINS!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:01 a.m.

RBN,

So its' the fans fault for making these Mormon players play on Sunday?

No. Wrong.

What a poor excuse that is.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:02 a.m.

@GeoMan,

This is not a question of what we prefer. It doesn't matter what Weddle "prefers" between Sunday and Saturday.

It's about what he CHOOSES to do.

When given the CHOICE of

1) obeying the Sunday rules you Mormons mandate
    or
    2) playing on Sunday

He CHOSE playing on Sundays. So did Pitta. And Collie.

Half of the time you claim them as great examples of your faith and then you people tell me I'm wrong for my belief that Sunday sports are fine.

Which is it?

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    May 16, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Faithfully observing the sabbath means withdrawing oneself from all worldly things and focusing only on that which is related to the Gospel on Sunday. It excludes not only playing football professionally on that day but recreationally watching it as well. Even watching it on TV is not really keeping the sabbath day holy. But we all find excuses and justifications to do things we're not supposed to do. Ultimately what one does on Sunday and how one chooses to observe the Sabbath is a personal choice and is entirely between the individual and God. Judging somebody else for not observing the sabbath is a worse sin than breaking the sabbath itself. Get Uchtdorfed.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Great Job Weddle! Keep dominating!

We all have the same decision to make in our life as we figure out how to maintain balance and accomplish our goals. The goal is to stick to the straight and narrow path and hold onto the "iron rod".

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:04 a.m.

utahbruin,

So it's ok to do things on Sunday if its your job?

That's funny, because my experience in my many years in Mormon Utah has taught me that Mormons think generally working on Sundays is not ok.

And please don't compare him to Doctors working on Sundays.

Its either perfectly ok for anyone to work on Sundays or it isn't.

Which is it?

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:09 a.m.

In a previous post that was denied by DN, I used the word "ignorance". I have to assume that this word was the cause of the denial. There was absolutely nothing else in my comment that could justify the action taken. Everyday I read comments in here by Chris et.al., who attack individuals, BYU fans, and the LDS church/members. The word "ignorance" implies lack of knowledge or understanding. My apologies for being misunderstood, but please apply these same standards to all who comment.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:19 a.m.

christina wants to set up a strawman here to help solidify his self proclaimed victimhood.

The fact is God himself has told us to "remember the sabbath day and keep it holy", and those are his words. From there it is up to us to decide what constitutes doing just that. Now I would say watching, attending, and playing in sporting events are not in line with that commandment but at the same time this is a life of choices and we all make them.

I watch sporting events on Sunday, and even attended a couple of them on Sunday in my life. My sons have played in baseball tournaments that required Sunday play. As an individual you have to decide if the committment you made to your team, which includes other people, is the right thing to do when that situation comes up. Keeping committments certainly is a value espoused by the LDS church and individuals do not have the scheduling control that BYU has, so when they participate outside of that they are left with those decisions. In that case I don't think either decision is wrong, you just have to do what your conscience dictates.

• Ender Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:25 a.m.

@Chris B
    You keep saying "which is it?" as if the world were black and white. I seriously doubt you fail to recognize the world with all its shades of gray. Personally, I don't think you are even truly searching for an answer to your own question!

You don't want to know "which is it?". You merely want to argue for argument's sake, and that is truly not worth arguing.

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Eric Weddle...you're a great example. Your commitment to faith and family is what drives you to be the best you can be. I ALWAYS appreciate a story like this regardless of the Sabbath issue. It's between you and the Lord. Keep up the good work. Even though I'm a true blue BYU fan, I watched you play at Utah. You were always a class act. Your kind gesture toward John Beck was above reproach. Stay true to what you believe.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Interesting word choice to say your sons were "required" to play on Sunday instead of saying they "chose" to play on Sundays.

I just have a hard time believing in a faith that tells us nonstop they are the only true religion, that Sunday is a day of rest and that sporting events should be avoided, and then congratulating and celebrating those who play on Sunday. Those things don't all mesh together.

From a Non Mormon in Utah I'm just being frank that I hear one thing from your people and I see something completely different.

Just an observation from a non-Mormon among you

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Ender,

What I wish is that those who chastised me for saying Sunday sports are ok with God when the Runnin Utes were having Sunday games this past year would treat me as they treat Weddle, Pitta, Collie, Unga, and other Mormons.

By PLAYING SUNDAYS Pitta, Weddle, and these Mormon players are saying its ok to play on Sundays.

Yet when I say God is ok with me going to basketball games on Sunday I get told I'm breaking one of the ten commandments.

Which is it?

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:44 a.m.

@Chris B - The church has no official policy on whether working on Sundays is "ok" or "not ok." What the church (not whatever member(s) it was that has obviously made you feel defensive) has always taught is that the sabbath should be regarded as a special day, set apart for worship and rest. Members are encouraged to participate in activities that help maintain a feeling of reverence and that help them feel the spirit. The church does not dictate what those activities are or aren't. The church itself has never scheduled sports events/activities on Sunday because those events tend to be the opposite of "reverent." But, the church has never prohibited members from participating in or attending sporting events. The same goes for working on Sundays. The bottom line is, the church wants its members to have a day to rest and focus on the spiritual aspect of their lives. But it also recognizes that many times people don't always have a choice whether to work on Sundays or not, be they a doctor OR a 7-11 clerk. It also recognizes that people are free to choose in which Sunday activities they participate.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:45 a.m.

Chris B.

There've been some excellent, heartfelt answers about the Sabbath and how members of the LDS faith approach this holy day, but that isn't your intent, is it? You don't want your questions answered. Rather you want to berate 'Mormons' and tell them how hypocritical they are, how they should just give up if they can't adhere perfectly to every commandment and law within the Church. Pointing out their flaws seems to bring you some satisfaction.

The fact is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints isn't for perfect people. We live in an evil, corrupt world where we do the best we can to live by the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are in need of a physician and Christ is that physician. Everyday we do the best we can and repent for those things we fail in. It's an ongoing struggle. The daily blessings we receive for striving to do what's right outweigh the challenges we face in keeping His commandments.

You can continue to criticize all you want, but in the end we all have to answer for our own choices. It would be wise to listen.

• teleste Austin, TX
    May 16, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Chris B. is right.

I, as a Mormon, am made to feel bad for merely *watching* "the big game" on Sundays and not separating it for the Lord. At the same time, other Mormons are revered for *choosing to play on Sundays*. There is a clear double standard. It is undeniable.

I am not criticizing the athletes who do it...I'd do the same (relevant username)...but I am criticizing all the church leaders and church owned publications who want it both ways.

Eric Weddle is a hero bc he played on Sundays for money when he didn't have to.
    BYU Women's Rugby Team are heroes bc they didn't play on Sunday.

Which is it?

BTW: How will Weddle explain to Jesus that football was more important than the 10 Commandments? I'd love the right response...I'll need it too.

• Uncle Rico Coug AMERICAN FORK, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Chris B...you love to find reasons to argue and disagree!

The bottom line is that at judgement day everyone will be held accountable for their actions which includes Sabbath Day observance. You can choose to do whatever you want on Sunday but if it doesn't follow The Lord's commandment we will be held accountable. The problem is everyone interprets that commandment differently. Those of us that CHOOSE to do inappropriate things on Sunday will have to answer for it on that day and in the meantime it will affect our spirituality negatively.

Those who's career REQUIRES them to work on Sunday don't have a choice because it is their responsibility as fathers to provide for their family. Yes, they could find a different career but it is not always that easy. I am active LDS and I have had to work from time to time on Sunday--although I hate it. But you do your best in that situation and work around it.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Steve Young for example - what was it, great, great, great grandson to Brigham Young the Prophet? Steve was not perfect too and he chose to play on Sunday but I am sure he did the same what Eric did attending Sacrament at early time schedule. They are using their missionary tool by showing their good examples and display their beliefs. Live Long and Prosper! Go Cougars!

• DickG Mesa, AZ
    May 16, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Chris B

Why does this matter to you? Don't tell us that others judge you, you judge yourself. Allow others the same option.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@chris

It was a "requirement" of the team they "chose" to play on. Splitting hairs is your specialty.

I personally don't care if you "have a hard time believing in a faith" that you find contradictory, mainly because I don't think you are even vaguely sincere about it. The church as an institution has chosen to abstain from Sunday competition so anyone, or any team, offically representing the church will not be able to do so. But individuals make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions about what they are going to do in regards to the commandment to keep the sabbath day holy and we all have our own opnions on it. It really is as simple as that. The istitution says not to participate but it is open for all of us to decide what we'll individually do. And not everything the church advises us to do is something we are going to be 'punished' for not doing.

You just want to scream hypocrisy and try to put Mormons in the worst possible light you can put them in. If you had a sincere desire to understand I might take you seriously.

• maq West Valley, Utah
    May 16, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Thanks to Chris' cold/stonehearted attitudes towards the LDS faith and lack of respect for BYU, BYU fans, and LDS faithful collectively I will no longer be reading or commenting on these message boards. He doesn't listen to people when they try to explain beliefs or opinions and will ignore any points anyone tries to make good or bad if they disagree with his. All he wants is to spread bad blood through anyone who disagrees with him and I recommend to everyone not to contest with him any longer. It's just a waste of time. Eric Weddle is a great guy. Playing football is his job. Yes he could choose another that does not require Sunday play but for someone who does choose this career path he does the best he can to honor the sabbath. The difference is choosing to attend a sporting event is 100% the choice of an individual to do on Sundays. NFL players cannot choose their own schedules and attending sporting events does not help feed a family. Ultimately it is up to God to judge. Not us. We just need to do the best we can with what we have. Czesc, MAQ.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 16, 2013 10:42 a.m.

As a member of the LDS faith but one that also loves watching the NFL on sundays, I have had members tell me I'm wrong or I "need to repent". I don't let it bother me because I have a great relationship with God and feel that I'm a good man and good example in many areas of my life. As others have suggested, this as any other commandment, is a choice that we make between ourselves and god.
    Chris: if there are people that judge you for Sunday game attendance or the univ of Utah for playing on Sunday shame on them. But why do you let it bother you? If you're ok with it then why do you let other people's judgements get to you? I will never judge you as a BYU fan for what you do on Sunday Chris, but don't be a hypocrit and judge others the way they may have judged you. Walk away and be ok with the decision you have made.
    As for Eric Weddle, what a tremendous example for our youth, and what an inspiration for all of us.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:45 a.m.

@Chris B:

If you sincerely want your questions answered, simply take the missionary discussions with an open mind and heart. That will certainly answer a lot of your questions and help you to become less critical at the same time. Only you can decide what it is you're really after.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:56 a.m.

@jasonlivy,

Sorry, can't play the victim card.

You can't claim to be doing the best you can, while playing sports on Sundays and having your members criticize me for saying God is ok with sports on Sundays.

Let me make this simple:

Is GOD totally OK with playing/watching/attending sports on Sundays?

Yes or No.

Because I've been told NO on these boards.

And yet you Mormons are congratulating and looking up to those playing on Sundays.

Again,

Is God totally OK with watching/playing/attending sports on Sundays?

It's either yes or no.

Please no flip flopping.

Yes or no?

• common twit Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Chris B, I am LDS and I agree with you. Which is it?

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Attention all:

See teleste for perfect response. He/she said it better than I could have

See teleste

See teleste

See teleste

After reading teleste's response, I ask again:

Which is it?

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    May 16, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Not everything is black and white. In the Garden of Eden, God gave Adam and Eve two commandments. 1. Don't partake of the forbidden fruit. 2. Multiply and replenish the earth. These two commandments were mutually exclusive. However, one had to be broken in order for God's plan to be accomplished. The result of that broken commandment was a lifetime of hardship and struggles.

I suppose our lives might be similar. The breaking of one commandment may lead to a lifetime of hardship and struggles that ultimately lead us to be the people that God wanted us to be all along. We all have a different path to walk in this life. Sometimes those paths cross with other's along the way. Try to understand that they are just trying to struggle their way along, just like you. Enjoy the journey and learn to cherish the lessons learned from those others that cross your path along the way.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    May 16, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Chris B or Cris B:

You haven't done a good job of explaining why you are digging at this particular topic so hard. Right now, it appears you're just trying to be controversial, especially given your past history of antagonism toward the LDS church and anything associated with it (i.e.,BYU).
    Think about the real answer very carefully and honestly before replying.

• That's A Good One Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 11:16 a.m.

"It is unclear how many Raider fans were at church that day"
    LOL, that's a good one.

Hey, the NFL didn't stop Giff Nielsen from rising to the top councils of the church. Don't be surprised if Eric Weddle becomes a Seventy some day. He seems like that caliber of person to me.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 16, 2013 11:59 a.m.

@ Cris B

You are quite right when you say that people should not condemn you and praise others for doing the same thing. The fact is, we mormons are specifically told not to judge others, but we often do so anyway. When it comes to keeping the sabbath day holy there are things that have been recommended, but not necessarily commanded (turn the tv off, no sporting events...). We have been commanded to avoid working on sundays as much as is reasonable. There is leniency in this matter, especially for converts. God is an understanding, merciful individual.

• The Final Word Alpine, UT
    May 16, 2013 12:17 p.m.

@Chris

If you were truly interested in an answer instead of trying to "catch" someone in a perceived conflicting statement then that might be a different story.

It is pretty clear to most what your objective is here and that is attempt to undermine an entire religion using a single gospel principle.

Pure folly.

People are fallible and nobody is perfect. Peoples lives and circumstance require judgement calls all the time. Consequently trying to prove someone made a choice that is in some way a conflict to the principle does not disprove the source of the principle.

Weak sauce.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2013 12:23 p.m.

@christina

I haven't heard anyone say they are looking up to Weddle because he plays sports on Sunday, once agqain you try to set up a strawman and it is a failure on your part.

People look up to weddle because he is trying to to the best he can in his circumstance and because he appears to be a quality individual. If playing on Sunday is the wrong thing to do then so be it, but all of us do some things the wrong way and some things the right way and Weddle appears to be one of those that does more things right than he does things that are wrong.

That is why people are "looking up to him".

• Red Leader Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2013 12:38 p.m.

And here all I wanted to do was comment "Good for Eric Weddle (not Steve Weddle)! I don't go to church when the Chargers have a game on Sunday, and I don't even play football...".

I haven't found anywhere in the article, or elsewhere for that matter, praise for an athlete playing on Sunday. The praise comes from them making that fit into their schedules, when it would be easy to not go.

The problem with the question of YES or NO, is this right? is that a big part of LDS theology is personal revelation. Some LDS athletes have stopped playing after college because they didn't want to play on Sunday - one football player was even drafted, even though he had made the decision clear he wouldn't play. It's up to the individual person.

Is it a necessary job like a doctor, police officer, or other things like that where Sunday work is unavoidable? Not really, but that's the athlete's decision, and that's the talent and opportunity to provide that they've been given. It's not for us to judge.

Plus, religion isn't just for Sundays anymore.

• teleste Austin, TX
    May 16, 2013 12:58 p.m.

@Duckhunter

DEW Cougars said people look up to them because they play on Sunday.

"[By playing on Sundays Steve Young and Eric Weddle] are using their missionary tool by showing their good examples and display their beliefs."

Even if we look up to them for *other reasons*...ya can't have the Sabbath day go both ways for ya...otherwise the BYU Women's Rugby were stupid not to compete on Sunday just like good-guy Weddle and good-guy Young.

Which is it?

• Waaandy Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Furthermore

Obviously if there is a problem with playing on Sundays, it's forgivable because you have former athletes as General Authorities, Mission Presidents, Stake Presidents, Bishops, etc.

Yes, it would be ideal if everything would just stop on Sundays, but that is not the world we live in. The point is that we try to avoid being OF the world.

I've sometimes graded papers on Sunday... was that a great Sunday activity? Probably not, but that was the circumstance I found myself in.

I watch football on Sundays. Is that the best thing to do on Sundays? Again, probably not... in fact I know, when I really think about, that there are better things I could be doing on Sundays. But I like watching the games, that's when they are, and I don't really have time to watch them on other days.

Like I said, church isn't just for Sundays. Just because that's the day we observe the Sabbath doesn't mean we don't do Sabbath activities during the week. The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath...

• Habib Assi Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 16, 2013 1:11 p.m.

I can't believe that this has turned into a Sabbath discussion. Mormons do not believe as the Adventists and others that you should never work on the Sabbath. My Stake President is a doc and has to work many Sundays. My brother is a doc and has to work from time to time. I studied every Sunday during graduate school. If I have to work I do. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Chris, a person who works on the Sabbath is not choosing to disobey--you have that wrong for sure. We make these decisions on a person level and then "own them"! No temple recommend interview, PPI, or other accounting to our leaders will inquire about this matter.

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words. Isiah 58:13 If we do as Isaih says here we are good--God's grace is sufficient!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 1:12 p.m.

I'm with Duckhunter on this one.

As for Eric Weddle, he is and always has been a great person, family man and ambassador for the University of Utah.

Great player too.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 16, 2013 1:27 p.m.

This is about good examples and role models, not about a sabbath day commandment. There are other great role models that aren't lds and probably go home from a hard days work and have a beer. Do I minimize their positive influence because they drink beer and I don't? Of course not. If Eric Weddle decides to play on Sundays then he will probably have to answer to god for doing so. Does that mean I should minimize what a stud he is and how great his example is because he does ONE thing I disagree with? Chris B, the standard you are asking requires that we only applaud perfect individuals in which case we would applaud no one. Most Mormons would probably say Eric Weddle is breaking the sabbath, but as duck hunter said, they would also applaud his efforts and example in living the other aspects of his faith. Your argument is all or nothing and only deals in absolutes, which makes it futile because most situations based in reality are never absolute.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 16, 2013 1:33 p.m.

@ ChrisB

"So it's ok to do things on Sunday if its your job?"

-We all can't set our own hours, if we have a job that ask us to work on Sunday, it's what we do to support families, yes its OK.

"my experience...in Mormon Utah has taught me that Mormons think generally working on Sundays is not ok."

-Right, we would prefer not to, but if we "have to", we do.

"...don't compare him to Docs working on Sundays.He "has to" work on Sundays as much as the 7-11 clerk "has to" work on Sundays so I can go buy drinks."

-Why can't I compare, they are all jobs aren't they? They "have to" also, What you do on Sundays is up to you. I don't care. If I can avoid a 7-11 and prepare myself on Saturday for my drinks on Sunday, I choose to do that.

Its either perfectly ok for anyone to work on Sundays or it isn't.

"Which is it?"

-Yes, its OK, but if you can avoid it, we avoid it. Why is this so hard for you to understand. To understand, give effort.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 16, 2013 1:38 p.m.

@ChrisB

You say "Which is it?"

In case you missed it, answer is above. I answered it for you so I guess this question is done. What next?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2013 1:41 p.m.

@Chris B - "Is GOD totally OK with playing/watching/attending sports on Sundays?

Yes or No.

God does not care about sports, Lol!

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 16, 2013 1:43 p.m.

@ Chris B

let me first remind you that I already agree with you when you say that people shouldn't judge others for watching games on sunday, while praising others for playing on sunday. You are correct on that matter.

I must say however, that your understanding of the way God works is incorrect. (granted that is probably a result of some incorrect things you have been told by others who are supposed to be in the know).

God judges us all on an individual basis. Given the fact that Eric Weddle being a famous football player means that he has tremendous missionary opportunities, i'm sure God would approve of his playing on sundays as long as he does his best to keep the sabbath day holy in every other way possible.

@ teleste

I happen to know for a fact that Weddle gave his career choice much thought and prayer before going forward with it. He felt that he and God were on the same page in this regard, thus explaining will not be necessary. Besides that, Jesus is not looking for reasons to condemn us, he is looking for reasons to glorify us.

• Habib Assi Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 16, 2013 1:46 p.m.

Chris B, I can see that you are wanting a black and white answer. There isn't one for most things. If I have to work on Sunday, it is because I could lose my job or an important client (the ox is in the mire). If the 7-11 clerk can get a job that does not require Sunday work, then he should probably do so. A Doc may try to order his job so that he does not have to work on Sundays--or at all for that matter. Missing church and not being there for family on Sunday can damage spirituality as Eric Weddle has learned. We do the best we can between us and God. You are some thinking that the person on the street (you or me) should be able to judge whether someone is keeping the Sabbath. It does not work that way. I had a neighbor comment one time because he said it looked like "fun" to use my 4 wheeler to plow the driveway on Sunday. I said "it is fun what's your point idiot!"

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    May 16, 2013 2:57 p.m.

@Chris B.

You should have a LDS Ute fan who shares the same dislike towards BYU as you do (yes they exist) explain it to you. I believe I should remind you that a vast majority of your fellow Ute fans are LDS themselves and your comments toward the Mormon church are unnecessary. I respect you for your beliefs and thoughts but don't try to slam the church or it's members, especially when many of them have Ute blood flowing through them as much as you do.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    May 16, 2013 3:12 p.m.

teleste

You made a great point, but not the one I think you intended. First off no one can make someone else feel guilty. If you feel guilty about something then somewhere deep down inside you believe the thing which you feel guilty for is wrong or that you shouldn't be doing it. Bottom line if you feel guilty about not keeping the Sabbath day holy when you do or don't do certain things on that day you've answered your own question. One that no one else can answer for you or tell you with any kind of authority that you're right or wrong.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 16, 2013 3:25 p.m.

We need more role models like Eric Weddle.

Chris is not wrong to point out the self righteous arrogance and hypocrisy that is all to common in the LDS community. btw, I'm LDS and include myself in the comment.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2013 3:26 p.m.

Chris,

Yes or no?

Personally, I do not care what you choose to do or not do.

However, it is always interesting when someone does something impressive that shows character.

Nice to see you take over again beating the same dead horse.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    May 16, 2013 5:00 p.m.

utahbruin,

Still not answering things I see.

-Right, we would prefer not to, but if we "have to", we do.

My question wasn't "do you prefer to work not on Sundays"

My question was: Is working on Sundays perfectly ok.

My whole point is that YES you CAN avoid it.

What if a Mormon got a job at a brewery and had to sample the product?

That must be ok according to your logic, because he works there right?

So you agree that its perfectly ok for any Mormon to drink alcohol if they work at a brewery and are asked to make sure the product is ok is that right?

Please be consistent in your responses.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    May 16, 2013 5:05 p.m.

utahbruin,

Still not answering things I see.

-Right, we would prefer not to, but if we "have to", we do.

My question wasn't "do you prefer to work not on Sundays"

My question was: Is working on Sundays perfectly ok.

My whole point is that YES you CAN avoid it.

What if a Mormon got a job at a brewery and had to sample the product?

That must be ok according to your logic, because he works there right?

Please be consistent in your responses.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Chris, this has nothing to do about "Sunday" but everything to do about you and your feelings toward the LDS church and BYU. You can nit pick all you want, but one of the beauties of life is the choices life allows us to make. Sometimes your choice is to hate. Eric has choose a profession where is works on Sunday about 25 weeks a year.

There is nothing hypocritical about Eric working on Sunday. It is his decision. It is also not your call or mine to tell him if it is right or wrong.

Get some love in your life and this wonderful world we live in would look much brighter. Trust Me!!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 6:45 p.m.

I suspect that right now one computer system in Sandy, Ut, is smoking big time as the keyboard blasts out word after word of challenges, agruments, counter arguments, and a bunch of hate over such a trivial topic.

But look at the bright side, the DNews can show it's advertisers that freedom of speech is alive and well and used in large numbers by the readers and internet commentors of this paper.

I also believe that somewhere in California or elsewhere, the family Weddle is shaking their heads in disbelief with maybe a smile or two sneaking through.

Life is good!! Live, Love, Laugh!! Just look at that picture of Mom, Dad and the kids!!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    May 16, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Chris B.,

I'm LDS and think you have made a few good points about what might appear to be a contradiction within our faith. Short answer... working on Sunday or watching sports will not prevent one from achieving the highest level of exaltation in the life after. Having said that, we all could probably improve our standing with God by avoiding those activities on Sunday.

I also want to apologize for members of my faith who have been disrespectful and called you names. This is not what we teach in our church.

Chris, I'm interested to know your take on the subject. You have mentioned on these boards that you are Catholic... which is great. Catholics believe in the 10 commandments which includes keeping the Sabbtath day holy. What do you believe? How do you think God looks upon those who work or attend athletic events on Sunday? Is it right or wrong in your book?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 17, 2013 2:59 a.m.

I made a mistake. I thought this was about Eric Weddle. Where can I find that piece? Somehow I read the article here and found out it was about a Sabbath Day debate. Anyone holy therein?

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    May 17, 2013 6:00 a.m.

Chris, I'm treating this as if your sincere, but that's doubtful. If you are sincere, please forgive me...

You're right. I'm a victim but only of my own choices. However if you think I'm playing the victim card you're living in an alternative reality. The gospel of Jesus Christ has been nothing but a blessing in my life. I am eternally grateful for what it's afforded me..

There is a critical doctrine in the LDS Church you might not be familiar with. "...it is not meet that I should command in all things, for he that is compelled in all things...is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he recieveth no reward."

What does this mean? That it's up to each individual member to make there own choices, good or bad. This would include the Sabbath.

The commandment is this, "Thou Shalt Keep The Sabbath Day Holy." Does it then say, "and don't watch football on Sunday"? No! That would mean we're being compelled.

You want a 'Yes' or 'No' answer but you aren't going to get it. The Lord doesn't work that way. Sorry.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    May 17, 2013 7:53 a.m.

I think Chris B is mainly concerned with the famous Mormon shame game.

Shame is popularly given to those who are not in line with following the gospel. Chris is showing his concern that the shame is not being equally distributed to those not following the gospel.

He has experienced that a non member receives more shame than a celebrity LDS member.

If LDS members want to justify their shaming towards needs and wants, so be it, but it is not the best way to convert non-members if that is your goal.

• DHan Syracuse, UT
    May 17, 2013 9:23 a.m.

And I was expecting to see comments about Eric Weddle! Man, what was I thinking?

• michaelitos Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2013 10:57 a.m.

@Chris B
    You fail to recognize that life is FILLED with moral dilemmas. Such dilemmas are part of learning and gaining wisdom, not about invalidating religion.

For example, yesterday as I drove home from work, I was in a rush to keep a commitment with my wife. In the heavy traffic on the freeway, several people were signaling to get in front of me. It is a commandment to love they neighbor. However, I also had made a commitment to my wife to be home, so she wouldn't be late to an appointment.

I chose not to incur the wrath of my wife. I failed to keep a prime commandment. Does that invalidate my faith? Is my religion wrong for saying that I should love my neighbor, even if it conflicts with keeping family obligations?

Such dilemmas as working on Sunday, yet keeping the Sabbath Day holy do not invalidate religion. Rather faith is even more needed to find an appropriate personal answer.

As those faithful LDS know, forcing everyone to simply follow commandments was Satan's plan, not Christ's. May we all learn and grow as we seek out our own personal salvation.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 17, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Chris,

I can see a number of people praising Eric, and other athletes, who have made it to the top of their passion.

I can see a number of people criticizing the U for playing on Sunday, and criticizing you for participating in athletic events.

I CAN'T see the intersection of that group being very large, and certainly not large enough to justify criticizing the LDS church or it's people for the small percentage who do indeed seem to have consistency problems.

I think what has been emphasized here many times is correct. You and I both make choices in our lives, and you and I will both give an accounting some day of the choices we make.

I think what has NOT been emphasized here enough is critical. My job is to take responsibility for MY choices, not yours. I personally choose not to participate in Sabbath sporting observance. I also choose not to judge you for whatever your decision is regarding same. I personally believe my decision is right, and I will lobby for that with other people, but far be it from me to cast guilt.

Hope that helps!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 17, 2013 8:10 p.m.

Well at least the negative comments here won't encourage Weddle to adopt a big head. Not that he would do so anyway, but if Eric came here to find nice comments about himself, he found out Chris B. and his foes are typing away about Sabbath Day debates instead of considering Weddle as a solid guy. I do not expect this back and forth to go away, that would be unrealistic regardless of what faith I might possess. Still, I wish it gone nonetheless.

I wish Eric Weddle good health and a Charger break through season, one in which I will watch on Sunday. Oops, is that a confession?

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    May 17, 2013 11:02 p.m.

I am a die hard BYU football. Having said that I have tremendous respect for Eric Weddle.

He's the kind of athlete the media needs to follow more often, not simply because he's religious, but because from top to bottom he is a class guy.

Why should athletes who father children with three or four different women, or athletes who get in trouble with the law, be showered with publicity while guys like Weddle get only the occasional newspaper article?

From a BYU fan to Eric Weddle.
    -I may not have cheered for you when you were wearing the crimson and white, but back then just as I do now, you have earned my deepest respect.

All the best, Eric!

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    May 19, 2013 7:31 p.m.

There is a perfect judge, and He'll be judging each of us according to the truths we knew and had the opportunity to live. He also knows not just the outward circumstances, but each of our inward understanding, thoughts and motivations.

The question is, Chris B., since you know both pragmatic and purist LDS views so well - which will you personally choose to live up to, and not so much about the choices of Weddle, or anyone else for that matter. In the end, its the same question for everyone - athlete or not, and every other choice we face in life - Sunday football isn't really a special case.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    May 20, 2013 4:56 a.m.

@ all re: Chris B's comments

Chris, thanks for such a great question.

We often get comfort among those who agree with us.
    Growth often among those who don't.

• Weberboy Fruit Heights, UT
    May 20, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Ok so the conclusion after reading through these comments is "that's 15 mins of my life I'll never get back."

Nevertheless, I want to address this topic with one quote - especially directed at Chris/Christoper.

Joseph Smith said, "I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves."

Thats it man, give it a rest. If you want an answer to your question "which is it?" - then read the 10 commandments in Exodus 20 and then come to a conclusion. You don't need a member of the church to interpret that scripture for you.

Wisdom is gained by reasoning for yourself and making your own decisions based on the knowledge you have.. remember that.

Just think one day you're standing before God and you say.. well I decided not to join the Mormon church because the members couldn't give me a straight answer about the Sabbath Day. Then God says something like.. You should have asked me, not them...