Utah

Attorney General John Swallow says he's no criminal

Comments

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 14, 2013 6:33 p.m.

I would prefer solid answers to the charges facing him. We've all heard the "I am not crook" line before.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 14, 2013 6:53 p.m.

He claims he is not a crook but cannot explain away the trips, the perks and the money paid to him for this "consulting" hogwash. He hopes the general public will remember he has an "R" by his name on the ballot and ignore all the same red flags they did on election day. This case is either corruption or Swallow cannot stop himself from making one bad choice after another. EIther way he should not be AG.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    May 14, 2013 9:59 p.m.

The Lieutenant Governor is under investigation along with Swallow. It sort of seems inappropriate for either to be doing business as usual looking at each other.

What a way to do business in Utah. A handshake used to mean integrity and honor in one's name.

Thanks to Ca

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    May 15, 2013 8:14 a.m.

"Do they know about the boat" say far more than swallow did in this interview.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2013 8:48 a.m.

To me it has always been that the AG hangs around with sleazy people and appears to be seen as the "go to guy" to get "something" done. Ambition is a powerful emotion and appears to cloud vision and morals in hopes of money, power and or glory.

The AG should follow the old George Burns sign-off: "Say good night Gracie". Good night John boy, you're done.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 15, 2013 8:56 a.m.

So far we have no evidence that Swallow is a crook.

There is lots of evidence (an indictment) that his main accuser IS a crook. The rest are a variety of opportunistic political enemies eager to take out a conservative.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    May 15, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Hard to believe him. The list of iffy behavior is long, and that's no way for a man of his position to carry himself.

I'll bet there's a lot more grief headed his way.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    May 15, 2013 11:14 a.m.

As the Attorney General and an Attorney, before, during, and after, he knows what the law is and that the appearance of evil is the same as evil away from the court system. He is judged by the court of the public opinion. If it smells like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it most likely is.

He is supposed to big opinions for the Governor and Legislature but has been unable to do that with public opinion at a high. He may get dressed and go to work but he has to do more than that to gain public trust and confidence about his integrity, true or false, good or bad, better or best.

He has caveats stating that he can't say any more due to the investigation. He should live his life and away from public life. It would appear all the support that Shurtleff gave this guy didn't help change the course of what both of them had done. Shurtleff had years of public life and to have his name tarnished with John Swallows won't sit well with the history books, real or not.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    May 15, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Swallow isn't technically a criminal until he is convicted, so he IS telling the truth for that one particular instance. So maybe people should give him a different moniker till the court has its say.

I personally like Snake Oil Salesman myself.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 15, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Credibility shot.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    May 15, 2013 12:18 p.m.

If Niederhauser doesn't count telling crooks "pretty soon I'll take over Consumer Protection and all my buddies like you will no longer have anything to worry about" as malfeasance, it must just be be because he doesn't know what the word means, right? mal-fea-huh what??

Surely it couldn't be that the party leadership wants to protect "one of the good old boys" in a pinch? Surely that never happens in happy Utah, where all our state legislators are pure, selfless public servants who only wish to faithfully represent their constituents?

After the Herbert/Provo River Constructors scandal, all the other less famous kickbacks that have become public, the GRAMA "quit shining that light around!" episode, and everything that's come out about Swallow, it amazes me that folks still believe that fairy tale and blame every appearance to the contrary on 'those darn liberals.'

Something is rotten in the state of Utah.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    May 15, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Great, now Swallow is playing the "religion card"... and we're suppose to forgive him for his crimes... I mean "short-comings".

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    May 15, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Today's irony --

Utah Republicans complain endlessly about "Chicago Style" politics, party favors, good 'ole boy networks, and fox minding the henhouse with Pres. Obama...

...and then do PRECISELY everything they compain about!

Right or Wrong,
    Sin or Guilty,
    Jesus made it very clear, the biggest sinner he was most concerned about was the HYPOCRITES.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    May 15, 2013 5:05 p.m.

As a one-time supporter, please Mr. Swallow just resign!!! I am tired of hearing something new every week. This is not the kind of conduct that instills faith and confidence in the hearts of Utahns about their elected leaders. Please do the right thing and resign!!

• Primary Chorister Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2013 7:57 a.m.

I learned this song in Primary and taught it to my children. John Swallow must have a different definition of the word "honest" than we do in my family.

Lyrics

I believe in being honest;
    I believe in being true,
    That honesty should start with me
    In all I say, in all I do.
    I'll form good habits in my youth,
    To keep my word, to tell the truth,
    To speak up in defending right
    And keep my name and honor bright.
    I believe in being honest;
    I believe in being true,
    That honesty should start with me
    In all I say, in all I do.
    Words by Ruth Muir Gardner

• airnaut Everett, 00
    May 16, 2013 8:45 a.m.

@Primary Chorister
    Salt Lake City, UT

Thanks!

There is a stark difference between being "Honest" and being "Legal".

John Swallow is playing lawyer on this one.

As for Religion --
    What part of "Are you HONEST with your dealings with your fellow men" does he not get?