Family

Angelina Jolie announcement leads to increased awareness of breast cancer risk

Comments

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    May 14, 2013 6:10 p.m.

Not much of a Hollywood fan, but I think this was an incredibly brave choice,

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 14, 2013 9:18 p.m.

Angie you are so brave to do something like this. You'r a beautiful lady

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 14, 2013 9:21 p.m.

It's an individual choice that brings incredible peace of mind.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 14, 2013 10:24 p.m.

Who REALLY cares about Angelina's personal health issues? This isn't news it's drivel. I wish Angelina well but please keep you personal health issues to yourself. I don't want to know/hear about them.

• Albert Maslar CPA (Retired) Absecon, NJ
    May 15, 2013 5:53 a.m.

Angelina Jolie has not thought her situation about the possibility of getting breast cancer through. The article appears to indicate that she did not in fact have breast cancer. So to prevent it from possibly occurring, Ms. Jolie mutilated her body. She still leaves the risk of ovarian cancer on the table, so is that in her sights also? And then what, possible cancer in any one of the vital organs? Should a lobotomy be done to prevent possible harmful actions? What is overlooked is the constant advance of medical science and techniques which can correct a physical medical problem. There are now pacemakers that normalize heart functions from those suffering from Atrial fibrillation, A-fib. My father died in 1963 at the age of 63 from uremia that was then untreatable but with medical advancements, I can live normally though I have the same condition. Extreme medical measures as Ms. Jolie took might well be an exercise in futility if done on the chance that she might eventually have been at risk for breast cancer. The question is why the national hullabaloo in a Hollywood celebrity doing something surgically extreme and unnecessary except for face-time?

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    May 15, 2013 9:16 a.m.

IMAPatriot2: Yes, that's your opinion, and you did not have to read the article, let alone comment on it it...
    BUT, what if hearing about her experience prompts only one woman to get a checkup and it saves her life?
    Breast cancer, or any cancer, is a devastating illness. What can it hurt to spread the word, whether it's a Hollywood celebrity or your neighbor down the street!

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 15, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Albert Maslar CPA (Retired: She has a family history of breast and oviaian cancer. She did the right thing to prevent it. She was thinking of her children

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2013 11:28 a.m.

CPA - did you read how that operation reduced her risk?

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 15, 2013 12:59 p.m.

MrsH: You are right, it is my opinion and I didn't have to read it and, frankly, stopped before completing the article. I believe there are other, and more appropriate, methods of transferring information about a women's physical body and health issues. We don't need to have them on the front page of the newspapers.

I understand cancer, having had it myself, so don't try the "I'm smarter than you" approach.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    May 15, 2013 3:21 p.m.

If she should end up getting some other kind of cancer, will she realize she did this for nothing?

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 15, 2013 5:00 p.m.

She did it so she wouldn't leave 6 kids without a mother

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    May 16, 2013 9:12 a.m.

Nope, not "smarter than you". Sorry if I gave that impression, I didn't mean to.
    And cancer has touched my family several times...more than the average.

I would just rather see too much about prevention info than not enough.