Utah

Community rallies to support Eagle Mountain widow, 6 children

Comments

• sigmund5 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2013 6:26 a.m.

Now if Utah and the Deseret News supported children by funding education and not be last in the country.

• twelvestringsam Orem, UT
    May 10, 2013 8:11 a.m.

Great Story! Thanks.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 10, 2013 8:15 a.m.

@sigmund5

Show me some data that says higher funding for education leads to better-educated students and we'll talk. Thanks.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    May 10, 2013 8:23 a.m.

How sad and tragic. God be with this young woman and her children. How great it is that there are so many generous people willing to help.

The story didn't mention life insurance. Surely a man with six kids under 10 years old would have life insurance.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Re Max: I was also curious about this paragraph: "Today, she has a whole new set of responsibilities, one of which includes fulfilling a homeowners association requirement to have a landscaped yard."

More detail would have been nice. There are plenty of places that do not have homeowners associations that require landscaped yards.

Re Brave Sir Robin: It is by no means a perfect correlation, is it? Utah is known for having a highly educated workforce; the national firm I work for routinely talks about how highly Utah is valued, and it's backed up by continually moving more functions out here from back East. Much of it is based on what the families themselves are willing to put into their children's education. An area where I used to live in Orange County had a very highly rated school. On closer inspection, the demographics turned out to be largely Asian kids. For better or worse, Asian parents in general focus much more on their kids' academic success than do other groups, and the test scores reflect that.

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    May 10, 2013 10:13 a.m.

@Max - not only life insurance is always needed by anyone with kids but long term disability. My father passed away when I was 1 leaving my mom with 4 small children. I learned early on that a parent can die. I'm glad this family has found support and hope that they can live full rich lives.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    May 10, 2013 10:47 a.m.

It's great that people step up to take care of others, no matter how big or how small the needs are. That is what we have not only been commanded to do, but it's just the right thing to do.
    Wonderful job, all!

• Wonder Provo, UT
    May 10, 2013 10:56 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin -- Yeah, and you want to work for a low salary too right?

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    May 10, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Awesome that everyone stepped up to help. I can't even imagine what they are going through.It sounds like he didn't have life insurance. Lesson to everyone reading this that has a family and doesn't have life insurance.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    May 11, 2013 4:35 p.m.

I can easily see that a young man with six children under ten must have had a hard time making ends meet and little left for life insurance. I can see that he probably also felt that he would live far beyond 31 years of age.

It sounds as though he worked hard trying to provide for his family, and it's a pity that people always want to criticize Dads even when they are doing all they can. Now he's gone and he should be honored for his efforts in his tragically short life.

• Irritabull CHESTER, NE
    May 11, 2013 8:53 p.m.

With the cost of living being what it is, it is understandable that he could not afford life
    insurance and no person I know of feels he is going to die at such a young age. I never had life
    insurance through my entire life. I felt my money could be used more wisely in other places and
    it worked out well for me. Lots of things in life are good luck.