Faith

NBA Hall of Famer Karl Malone meets Mormon missionaries

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2013 2:12 p.m.

This is neat-o I hope they shared their blessings with him and gave him lots of scriptures to read.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    May 9, 2013 2:20 p.m.

I'd like to see Malone meet Kanter and Favors and teach them how to play in the NBA.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    May 9, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Pretty cool. The mailman has always been fairly open with his time and generous with others.

• Area 52 Tooele, UT
    May 9, 2013 2:58 p.m.

@Chris B

I'm sure the missionares wouldn't mind stopping by to give you their blessings and scriptures!

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 9, 2013 3:34 p.m.

Why is Chris B's snarky sarcasm against the LDS Church and BYU tolerated by the Desnews, when posters who call him out are often moderated?

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    May 9, 2013 4:06 p.m.

I totally agree, Oatmeal. Let's start a twitter campaign--- #BlockChrisB

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 9, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Dear Oatmeal: Actually Chris B is really a great guy. He actually posts a lot of good things about the Church and Mormons even though he is not LDS. In fact, he will often defend the LDS Church and Mormons. He also has a lot of good comments when it comes to politics and other issues. Unfortunately, he just has this big insecurity about BYU which I hope he can eventually get over.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2013 4:40 p.m.

Cats,

Thank you for the kind comments. My opinion on Mormons is that I don't agree with 90% of your theology. I think your missionaries convince themselves of things that they don't know, due to severe religious pressure in your church. I think you flip flop doctrines and pick and choose when your prophets are supposedly speaking for God or not, based on whether it fits your agenda.

HOWEVER, I strongly AGREE with the majority of the political views held by the majority of your people. I also dislike that it seems perfectly acceptable to mock Mormonism and yet it would be bigoted to mock Islam. I don't like that hypocrisy from the left, and so in such cases I'm happy to stand with the Mormons.

And in protecting the only definition of marriage that God agrees with I'll stand with the Mormons forever.

God bless

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 9, 2013 4:53 p.m.

@Cats

So what you are trying to say is that Chris B. is Neat-o?
    Yea...he's a real peach.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 9, 2013 6:14 p.m.

The mailman could still deliver.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 9, 2013 7:45 p.m.

I for one find Chris B to be entertaining and hope he continues to post. I'm a BYU fan and LDS and I'm secure enough in my allegiance that none of his remarks bother me. I don't mind thoughtful discussion about differences in theology. Some of his Ute comments are outrageous, which is entertaining, which I have a sneaking suspicion is part of his agenda. Keep it up CB lol.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 9, 2013 8:22 p.m.

The 'Mailman' a Mormon?

Hmmmm....who knows?, maybe someday!

Karl always did have a strong 'rebel/not afraid to go it alone if needed' streak in him. There's a ton of similarity between that attitude and prevailing attitudes of the LDS church.

Regardless, the 'Stockton to Malone' days were surely something special. Man, how I HATED to lose in the '96 and '97 finals to the Bulls. H-A-T-E-D it!....

(PS - I thought it was really classy that the one missionary's mom thanked Mrs. Malone for being so kind to her missionary son on his birthday. Well done to both of you!)

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    May 9, 2013 8:56 p.m.

another vote for Chris always look for his comments, have given me plenty of chuckles, he seems like a good guy especially like his mark it down comments

• cubluck Centerfield, UT
    May 10, 2013 4:51 a.m.

@ bleedcougarblue
    That would be 97 and 98...

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    May 10, 2013 7:23 a.m.

oatmeal, yes oatmeal is plural, something like alumni. anyway DN's job is not to censor. You must be a liberal. CB loves to get under people's skin and guess what? he did with you. Glad to see Karl with the Elders

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    May 10, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Can we trade Corbin in for Karl Malone?

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    May 10, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Seeing Karl makes me miss the good old days. I want to go in my backyard, put the hoop down to 8' and throw down a mailman special with my left hand on the back of my head. The Jazz could use some quirky Malone to get things interesting again. Here's hoping the Jazz get back on track

• Supporter of 2A Sports ,
    May 10, 2013 10:28 a.m.

We were all surprised to see the photo of the Mailman with the missionaries even more surprised to see one of the missionaries being my baby brother. We are looking forward for Mothers Day to hear the story!

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2013 10:59 a.m.

This isnt a new development. My husband served his mission in that very area. He didn't get to meet the "Mailman", but told me that others in his area had dinner with him and stuff.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    May 11, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Karl Malone is a good man. He is a friend to the Mormon church.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 11, 2013 6:47 p.m.

So I personally don't like comments that are negative about the church, cause that is what defines me, but what I dislike even worse then that is when people will mention a person or ID by name and say negative things about them. As for Karl Malone, I remember when he first came to Utah and they found out his birthday was July 24th, guess who was on the float? He got quite the welcome and he gave back to the Utah Jazz for many years.

• Piret Clifton, NJ
    May 11, 2013 8:26 p.m.

Chris B -what are you on about? If it hadn't been for the faith of the early Mormons, there wouldn't be a Salt lake City for you to live in and enjoy. They tolerate you, you need to find something postive to do with your life and time. Cheers.

• HS Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 11, 2013 10:23 p.m.

You don't have to be a Mormon to be a good person. And being a Mormon does not make you a good person either. Karl Malone is a good person and does what he does because he do's what he has to do.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    May 12, 2013 12:09 a.m.

I'm glad ChrisB says he "thinks" our beliefs are not correct: "I think your missionaries convince themselves of things that they don't know" and "I think you flip flop doctrines", thinking these things is way different than knowing them...

Chris...someday, the light will descend upon you, and then you will "know" what we "know" and you won't have to wonder if you are correct on your assumptions. There is truth, and there is falsehood. There is no in-between. Prophets are men. Moses was chastised by the Lord for mistakes. All men are. Leaders are mortal men, not God. We all know they make mistakes, and we give them that latitude. Hang in there, all will know truth in time.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 12, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Chris B: the normal reaction to Non-LDS towards LDS Theology is much as you expressed--a sort of 'brainwashed' interpretation of why Mormons believe what they do. But many LDS--including young missionaries--will express,in LDS terminology, a "testimony" that they've had their beliefs confirmed by the "Holy Ghost." Seems to me that before someone dismisses the possibility that such "confirmation" could have actually occurred, a reasonable person would try to find out if such an occurrence is even possible.

But the normal reaction is "don't touch it, it's of the devil!" As if the devil has all the power and God has none! Can't even reveal his will to a prophet nowadays!

Sorry, but when it comes to spiritual matters--I'll stick with what I strongly believe has happened to me!

• Sci-Tru SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 12, 2013 12:25 p.m.

If Chris B. doesn’t agree with 90% of Mormon theology, he probably doesn’t agree with 90% of the Bible either. Chris B. has apparently convinced himself due to severe anti-Mormon pressure about things he doesn’t know.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    May 12, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Malone is a good sport and I'm sure has a healthy respect for the church because of Larry Miller. I wonder if John Stockton would ever pose with the missionaries?

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2013 7:57 p.m.

The reason most people don't believe in the LDS theology is because they believe in a philosophical doctrine first promulgated at the Council of Nicea in the fourth century and diluted down through the centuries. You have to research and study the original doctrines taught in the first century while the Apostles were still alive to find the truth. Many people see their church as a social organization which teaches good without understanding the doctrines taught by their pastor.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    May 13, 2013 12:41 a.m.

Guys, I don't think it good for us to be making disdainful remarks towards Chris B for saying he disagrees with the majority of our theology. Some comments are generally good and then add a jabbing remark accusing him of being an unreasable man or make assumptions to why he believes the way he does. Perhaps I am reading some of the comments wrong and am getting a wrong interpretation on their meanings. If that is the case, then this comment need not be here.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 13, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Karl is no stranger to the LDS faith. His old boss (Larry H Miller) and many of the Jazz organization were LDS plus many of Karl's old neighbors in SLC were LDS. Malone is a family man and I'm sure there is alot in the church that appeals to him. Doubtful he will ever join but ...you never know.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    May 13, 2013 11:50 a.m.

The comments here continue to confirm what I have learned about Mormons over 30 years of living among them.

How very disappointing for the Mormons and the Mormon Church.

• Riles Midway, UT
    May 15, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Chris B, I assume you're a mainstream Christian because most non-Christian's don't devote the same time or energy to criticizing "mormon" theology. Assuming this to be the case, and that you're sincere when you say you disagree with 90% of "mormon" theology like the Atonement, Gathering of Israel, etc; it would be interesting to hear which 11 of the 13 Articles of Faith you disagree with (85% - giving you the benefit of the doubt). Just curious...I personally think Mormon Christians and mainstream Christians have a whole lot more in common. The areas we differ, in many cases, are no more significant than differences between different Christian sects like Catholics and Quakers, Methodists and Anglicans. IMHO

• jawico Cedar City, UT
    May 1, 2015 11:10 a.m.

I seem to remember this as the third picture of missionaries posing with Karl Malone (though I think one of the others had his wife in the picture as well, I'll have to google it) in the past few years. I wonder how often the Malones have the missionaries over.