Faith

Angel Moroni statue placed on Ogden LDS Temple spire

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2013 2:50 p.m.

This is neat-o. Lots of blessings in Ogden for everyone!

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    May 7, 2013 3:54 p.m.

Is there really a need for so many temples, and are they all performing at near capacity and what is the production figure.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 7, 2013 4:37 p.m.

To the person posing as Chris B

What have you done with Chris B? Either this message is extremely sarcastic OR you fell and hit your head. Any Ransome notes should be sent via Coach Mendenhall. I am sure there are many BYU fans willing to donate or chip in to keep this imposter posting nice thngs. I will even hit like. Must be the last days.

I will take it as face value and agree with you 100%. I remember going through the Ogden Temple open house as a 13 year old kid.

• Bergy7 Salt Lake city, UT
    May 7, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Beautiful new temple. I hope they redo the Provo temple as that 1970's architecture is so bad.

• Abeille West Haven, Utah
    May 7, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Skeptic -

Yes, it depends (but Ogden has, historically, been one of the busiest temples), and I'm not sure anyone has those figures.

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 7, 2013 7:14 p.m.

Abeille: The Provo Temple is the busiest

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 7, 2013 7:44 p.m.

AWESOME!

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to EVERY nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

Saying with a LOUD voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." - Revelations 14:6-7

Like I said: AWESOME!

Let's get to work!

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven having the everlasting gospel

• TXBYUFAN Spring, TX
    May 7, 2013 8:10 p.m.

This one has special meaning as our family was sealed in the Ogden Temple in 1974. The SCL temple was closed and the Elder that baptized our family was from Ogden. He was still on his mission, but his folks went with my parents and and helped us all out.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished temple.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    May 7, 2013 8:54 p.m.

skeptic,

Is there a need for so many temples? Absolutely. As to how they perform vs. capacity? I think that is variable.

My very limited observation of Utah and Idaho based temples indicates that those temples are pretty busy most of the time. Here in the east, my limited observations suggest that evenings and weekends are busy but they are slow during the day.

Outside of the Inter-mountain West, the benefit of there being many temples is to reduce distance and allow more frequent attendance by those who wish to go. When I was younger in the NE, the closest temple was 10 hours away. Visiting frequently was extremely difficult. Now, even in the east, it is usually the case that temples are less than 4 hours away and often within an hour or two. This makes frequent temple attendance much easier, for which most members are very grateful (I certainly am).

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2013 9:43 p.m.

Skeptic,
    You can make them better utilized with your frequent attendance.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:12 p.m.

This gives me such a warm feeling inside.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    May 7, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Owl,

Thanks, I am not sure I would be appreciated. However, I think genealogy is a fun trp.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 8, 2013 5:56 a.m.

One more comment to Skeptic: the workload of temples depends on how busy and involved members are with their own family history. Many LDS are 1st to 3rd generation converts, and their pioneer ancestry (yes, we are all pioneers in one sense or another) has not been completed. Brand-new converts have a LOT of work to do in making names available to temples. Of the billions of people that have lived on earth, very few (comparatively speaking) have had their temple work done.

True, there may be some religious and geographical areas where taking a name to an LDS Temple is sensitive. But the vast numbers of individuals and families where no questions exist; that could be done, is much larger than those that have delicate questions attached.

Family history is the key!

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    May 8, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Another note concerning the number of temples, the need, and how busy they are.

The size of the temple that is built is dependent on the population of likely patrons. Thus, in areas of the world with relatively few members of the Church, a smaller temple will be built. In areas with large numbers of members of the Church (or with a rapidly expanding membership, or that will be serving a larger area for the near future) then a larger temple is built.

The size, location, and number of temples pragmatically addresses a sacred need. One way to think of it is that, ideally, a member of the Church won't have to engage in overnight travel to attend the temple.

• mhilton Lancaster, CA
    May 8, 2013 9:09 a.m.

I'd be surprised if they EVER reconstructed the Provo temple. It along with SLC temple are open 6 days whereas most, if not all, of the others are open only 5 days a week.

As for full untilization, I can tell you the the LA temple is underutilized, for at least a couple of reasons for that.
    1. CA LDS population has moved, mostly to Utah. They have actually closed 2 stakes in So. Cal and one in No. Cal. (that I know of) due to a declining LDS population.
    2. They have built 3 additional temples in So Cal, San Diego, Newport Beach and Redlands, which has taken a large percentage of the So. Cal population away from the LA temple.
    3. The location of the LA temple is horrible now. Can take 2-3 hours to get there at times, depending on traffic vs. max 1.5 hours to get to redlands from here.

When the LA temple was built, there were only 2 temples in CA, Oakland and Los Angeles. Times are different now.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 8, 2013 12:03 p.m.

Both the Payson Temple and the Provo City Center Temple will greatly alleviate the pressure on the Provo temple. Traffic through Provo by patrons to access the temple from the south will be virtually eliminated as well. The PCC Temple will have such a positive influence on downtown Provo. What a serene spirit will envelope the already bustling city center as the Temple becomes a reality with it's surrounding immaculate green space.

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 8, 2013 1:00 p.m.

mhilton: FYI THe chuech doesn't close stakes.

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    May 8, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Actually the Los Angeles Temples was the first in California: Dedicated in 1956.
    The Oakland Temple came next: Dedicated in 1964. Oakland was the only Temple
    that was built and dedicated during the 1960's. Then came Ogden and Provo (simultaneously)
    in the early 1970's. The Washington D.C. Temple came in 1974.

"Snowman": Technically speaking, the Church maybe doesn't "close" stakes, but they do
    re-combine some with others when the LDS population decreases. That even happens in the Salt Lake Valley. The Church even sells some its Chapels when that happens too. Sometimes other denominations buy those Chapels that were originally built as "LDS" Chapels when LDS population decreaese in some areas.

The Chapel, that I attended as a teenager, in the West LA area disappeared in the late 1980's becuase people didn't want to go there anymore becuase their cars were being broken into
    while they were at Church services. So things such as wards and stakes do "consolodate"
    When neighborhoods change.

• snowman Provo, UT
    May 8, 2013 3:39 p.m.

Brother Dave: The church does sale older buildings when new ones are built. I know of two of those buildings in Provo. But they were not sold til new ones were built.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 4:34 p.m.

I used to live in Orange County, California and had a colleague from Compton. He told me the church he went to had previously been an LDS chapel; it even had, if I remember correctly, a stained glass window of the First Vision. Interestingly, he said the congregation voted to keep it rather than replace it because they liked the feel of it even though it didn't match their beliefs.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 8, 2013 7:47 p.m.

It is wonderful that the work is moving forward piece by piece.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    May 10, 2013 7:34 a.m.

Dear Skeptic,
    I remember the thrill I and many other members felt when the Dallas Temple was announced and especially when it was dedicated and we got to go to a temple 120 miles away instead of over 1000 miles away. How blessed our lives have been since October 1984. It was a great wait for us when the temple was closed for renovations and an addition. I have a close friend who lives in Cedar City and after their temple was announced in April Conference I phoned him and briefly shared his joy. Of course, they can travel to St. George, but their opportunities to attend the House of the Lord will be greatly enhanced after their own temple is dedicated. I encourage you to visit with your bishop and with the holy scriptures and with the Lord in prayer and gain a desire to attend the temple on a regular basis yourself.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 10, 2013 7:57 a.m.

The leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints takes very seriously the building of the Temples. They are built because they are needed. Much great work is performed in these Temples, eternal marriages, sealings, etc. all of great importance and the main thing I want to say is that the LDS Church does not waste money on anything. They use good judgement and all of the decisions come through much prayer and fasting. You will never have to wonder about waste and trying to"impress" the public...what is being done is required by the Lord.

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    May 17, 2013 8:27 p.m.

Brother Dave, I've heard all of the following terms used officially by the Church at different times:

Consolidate
    Discontinue
    Dissolve
    Combine

I've never heard them use the term "re-combine."

A couple of years ago the Mesa Arizona South Stake was "discontinued" and its units were split between two neighboring stakes, whereupon one of those stakes was immediately renamed the "Mesa Arizona South Stake." Last year the Elliot Groves Middle Singles Ward, hosted by the Tempe Arizona West Stake, was officially "closed." Branches, districts, missions, wards and stakes come and go as needed. The people for whom these units are created will go on forever.

Skeptic, as of 3 years ago the busiest temple outside Utah was the Mesa Arizona Temple. Yes, we need more (and we're finally getting them in AZ)!

The Ogden Temple will be beautiful, but if they do the same thing with Provo the ole slide carousel look will be gone forever. I don't know how I feel about that.