Family

Every senior asked to prom: the goal of one high school girl

Comments

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    May 2, 2013 1:24 p.m.

What a great idea. Good for her.

• Kinderly Spanish Fork, UT
    May 2, 2013 1:56 p.m.

I am so impressed with this girl. She figured out a critical thing that I don't think I knew in high school: a lot of high school age kids really don't know what they are doing when it comes to dating or other social situations. Kids are not all mean or trying to leave people out or judging others based on their looks. Sometimes they just need a little information, a little practice, a kind suggestion. And it sounds like she found a way to reach these people without making them feel stupid.

• Scott3 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    May 2, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Maybe you should try reversing it and get every boy asked to the prom. However, I cannot say I am too on board with this idea. In comparison, how does one feel if they are now on the especially short list of those that do not get asked to the prom?

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    May 2, 2013 3:18 p.m.

I missed several proms but I didn't mind not going. I've gone to a few formal dances where I wanted to ask my date for half of the expenses or just ask "Why did you agree to go out with me?" That's because I had a miserable time and I'm sure she did, too. But some dances were actually pretty fun. The point I'm trying to make is that dating just to be dating isn't a recipie for having a fun evening. It can be great or otherwise. I'd rather focus on getting a date with a girl with whom I wanted to share the evening rather than to be going to an "don't-miss event." In high school, though, maybe it doesn't really matter. Why would I be surprised to find out differently?

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    May 2, 2013 5:24 p.m.

"Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match! Find me a find! Catch me a catch!"

Well done! I love how you persevered to solve a major problem that has beset the youth of today.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    May 2, 2013 7:24 p.m.

I never attended a formal dance in High School myself. Don't regret it either.

• ewalk Wyoming, UT
    May 2, 2013 9:59 p.m.

I did really want to go to prom. For one reason or another I was not the kind of girl that boys asked out, but I would have loved just a little help. Luckily in the long run I'm happily married etc. But I still feel sort of sad I never went to prom. I think its awesome that she gave it a try. I was talking to someone and a night like this is about the experience and not usually about who you're with.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Now that I have daughters I realize how important it is to be asked. High School is a fun but hard time. The more we can find ways to include others the better.

I'm glad that Morgan helped make a difference.

Great job!

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 7:29 a.m.

You go girl!!! Dances are some of the best parts of high school!!!

• MurrayRep Murray, UT
    May 3, 2013 10:08 a.m.

What a great example of Christlike attributes...accepting towards everyone, and wanting everyone to have a great experience in their lives, it's awesome. Morgan if you are reading this right now your an awesome girl! Your such a great example to be, a person who just went to their Senior Ball:) Two thumbs up!!!

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    May 3, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Good for her. I wasn't asked to my senior prom, and I felt bad about it. Then all throughout my dating life, the few men in the singles' wards rarely asked girls out. They needed a lot of "encouragement." I guess it's good to start while they're young.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 3, 2013 12:41 p.m.

Way to go Morgan! The highlight of my whole high school experience was when my little sister got asked to her Junior Prom by a really cool guy. To my knowledge this was the only date she was asked on in high school and I know it meant a lot to her. I hope others will follow Morgan's lead and encourage the young men to go to prom and spread the wealth to some of the girls who don't normally get asked out.

• Lindsay Payson, UT
    May 3, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Teens like this help restore hope for the next generation. Good for her. I think she's made a difference that will confinue to impact her classmates years down the road.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 3:40 p.m.

AWESOME job!

• amerrill Lehi, UT
    May 3, 2013 4:28 p.m.

My daughter goes to Lehi and was not asked to Prom. It was one of the most devistating events of late in her life. Then for her to read this article was salt in an open wound! So her plan no only didjn't work it made the fact my gorgeous daughter didn't get asked even more horrible than it was when the event happened!!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    May 3, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Just Say No to Prom!

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2013 11:40 p.m.

I went to my prom many years ago but not with the guy who was my best friend throughout the high school years. I went with the guy who later became my husband. If I hadn't been seeing anyone at the time I know that I would not of been asked - I was too weird and a book worm. I just didn't fit in.

My classmates couldn't believe however the awesome looking guy I showed up with.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    May 4, 2013 1:07 a.m.

Wow! What a great heart this young lady has. The youth of today are so impressive.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    May 4, 2013 4:10 a.m.

@amerrill

It doesn't seem like there was any intent to exclude anyone; in fact, it appears that the goal was for EVERY girl to get asked to the prom. I believe you would be setting a better example for your daughter if you reacted differently than to be angry and strike back at those who tried to do something good for the prom and the kids at Lehi. I had some bad experiences in high school which hurt me, but high school is a very tough time for every kid and for the parents and teachers as well. I had a chance to do something good at one time due to an incident in my school, and it completely overshadowed the bad experiences in my memories of high school.

Just as your daughter was hurt because she did not get asked to the prom, is Morgan deeply hurt if she read your comment and feels all her hard work was not good enough. Perhaps making amends for that would help heal the hurt of not being asked for your daughter. Otherwise, she could learn a very bad attitude from this which would affect her entire future.

• PepperLayne Salt Lake City, 00
    May 4, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Prom was never the "end-all-be-all" high school event for me, but it's good that the girls who want to go to prom get the chance. Personally, I didn't care if I got a date to prom because I was planning on going with a group of girlfriends - we had a whole "Girls' Night Out" planned with dinner and a movie and everything. But the day before my junior prom, I was asked out by a guy that never gave me the time of day otherwise. Looking back, I wish I had said no and then he could have asked a girl who really wanted a date and didn't have one. But I was told I "had to" accept his charity because he really wanted to do something good for other people. That is commendable, but I didn't need or want it and I really should have declined. It's one of the few things I regret from high school.

• SamOrton Logan, UT
    May 4, 2013 3:22 p.m.

amerrill, the article clearly states that getting all the girls asked was a goal and that she didn't quite reach it. However, she did do a heck of a lot more than anyone else did!! Is your daughter a senior? Personally I think this girl is AMAZING and way cool to go out of her way and try to do nice things for other people. And to get mad at her because she possibly missed one or two is unrealistic and unfair. Kudos to you Morgan, I hope my daughters grow up to be like you!

• Seek to understand Sandy, UT
    May 4, 2013 10:11 p.m.

I believe this girl has set a great example that each school should emulate. A student committee should be formed in the fall and they should start doing publicity surrounding prom - explaining to the students that it is an occasion that every senior should have the opportunity to participate in, and getting everyone on board with that vision.

Then, the lists should be kept, just as Morgan did, with parents and teachers all understanding the goal of everyone being included in the prom (all the Seniors). A few weeks before the event, a concerted effort should be made to make arrangements for all the students to have a date. If there aren't sufficient boys, I'll bet boys who graduated the year previous would sign up to take a girl to prom if they were called upon - and wouldn't those girls be excited!

My son took 3 girls to 3 different proms, one out of state. One was his choice, the other two were invitations. The girls' parents were proactive it was really fun and not at all awkward. Sometimes everyone needs to pitch in to make our world a great place for everyone.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2013 11:16 a.m.

Nice job

We need more people spreading good and trying to make a positive difference.

Well done.

• schoolmom lehi, UT
    May 6, 2013 9:24 a.m.

I know Morgan personally and understand that her intentions were to help as many seniors as possible enjoy their last year at prom. Not every girl was asked but her efforts helped ignite more couples going to prom. I am proud of her and know that many were able to enjoy a fun filled evening! Way to care about others Morgan!

• schoolmom lehi, UT
    May 6, 2013 9:35 a.m.

I know Morgan personally and understand that her intentions were to simply help as many seniors as possible to Prom. She knew she wouldn't be able to get every girl asked that wanted to attend but just the fact that she even cared and tried is amazing to me. For the Lehi parent that is upset with Morgan's efforts, I am sorry you hold resentment, but parents can also be involved... Morgan's grandpa took one of his grand daughter's to Prom one year because she hadn't been asked. She ended up having a great time! I commend Morgan for her efforts and caring heart!