Utah

Attorney: Man accused of killing infant son 'wants to die'

Comments

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 29, 2013 5:53 p.m.

This is exactly how he should feel. Killing himself would have been sad, but killing the child is inexcusable and unforgiveable in my opinion.

• Alfred Pheonix, AZ
    April 29, 2013 9:07 p.m.

If the guy wants to die, then let's see that he does. It's insane to keep him in jail for the rest of his life costing the taxpayer millions of dollars... then he dies anyway. Are we insane?

• Sentinel Ogden, UT
    April 30, 2013 4:51 a.m.

@ Brahmabull: I could NOT agree more.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    April 30, 2013 7:57 a.m.

Just wondering, does he have a family--parents? siblings? Are they in the picture?

• Neanderthal Pheonix, AZ
    April 30, 2013 9:37 a.m.

I think his wish should be granted. It'd be only humane. And why incur $millions to put him behind bars for life... then he dies?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 30, 2013 9:40 a.m.

I still want to know how he had access to a weapon in the 1st place?

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    April 30, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Well now they won't even seek the death penalty because now they know they can torture him with life and save more money than a death sentence would cost.

Alleged OKC accompliace Terry Nichols also wanted to die but he let the prosecution know it and they backed off and just sought life imprisonment.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    April 30, 2013 10:32 a.m.

@ LDS Liberal,
    That's right, the gun was the problem, not the fact that he wanted to kill his 5 month old child. There are hundreds of ways that he could have done it.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    April 30, 2013 12:28 p.m.

LDS Liberal, it's a shame that he chose a firearm. it could have been just as easily a kitchen knife, a baseball bat, or, a child that age he could have simply bashed his head against the floor or anything else. but of course the fault is the gun's

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 30, 2013 12:35 p.m.

SS
    MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    @ LDS Liberal,

10:32 a.m. April 30, 2013

===========

I did not say that.

The problem is he wanted to kill his 5 month old child,
    but the fact remains,
    the pro-gun nuts - who keep insisting that there can't be any restriction what-so-ever to ANYBODY just enabled him to do it.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    April 30, 2013 12:39 p.m.

@LDS Liberal, you need to get off your soapbox about the guns (i.e. similar story you commented on yesterday). As SS mentioned, it doesn't matter how he got the gun (whether by legal means or not), he would have found some other means to kill his baby boy. As mentioned in the article, he had been planning it for a month. He could have easily substituted a knife or some other weapon in place of the gun.

Instead, how about you feel sorry for the baby that was killed, and the family that now has to live with that for years to come.

• wrz Pheonix, AZ
    April 30, 2013 3:29 p.m.

The DNews says the man 'wants to die.' My opinion, suggestion... he should get his wish.

To the DNews monitor: You keep rejecting my post on this article. Your paper is the one that brought the issue up of 'wanting to die.' Not me. If you are going to continue to reject my posts, shouldn't you have not run the article about 'wanting to die' in the first place? wrz

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 30, 2013 4:46 p.m.

YGradFan
    CENTERVILLE, UT
    @LDS Liberal, you need to get off your soapbox about the guns (i.e. similar story you commented on yesterday). As mentioned in the article, he had been planning it for a month. He could have easily substituted a knife or some other weapon in place of the gun.

12:39 p.m. April 30, 2013

===========

Of course I feel sorry for this baby's family.
    I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

But
    I'm sorry, No - I will not get off my soap-box about gun access to the mentally ill.

I've had far too many friends and family members over the years who have suffered due to self inflicted gunshots by the mentally ill.

You see--
    I used to be an ultra-con too.
    But experiences in my life have changed my mind.
    I was worng.

It's being homo-phobic,
    and then changing one's mind after they discover their own son is gay.

Suddenly,
    We start singing a completely DIFFERENT tune.

Try putting yourself in someone else's shoes.

• D-Iridologist lehi, UT
    April 30, 2013 5:12 p.m.

I suspect, as is the case in virtually all of these murder/suicide attempts, that Joshua was on SSRI antidepressants. Likely another sad tale of antidepressant side effects.