Faith

Reactions to 'I'm a Mormon' campaign in UK (+video)

Comments

• Twin Sister LINDON, UT
    April 29, 2013 2:54 p.m.

This is amazing! The Church certainly knows how to spread the Word in unique and effective ways. I think citizens of the UK will respond positively to this kind of introduction to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I truly believe that this type of missionary approach in the UK is inspired.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Just as I get tired of people telling us they are gay when I'm not shouting to the world my sexual orientation, there should be no need of anyone who is confident in themselves needing to shout to the world their religious preference.

• md Cache, UT
    April 29, 2013 3:47 p.m.

@Chris B

An easy way to avoid the issue with gays is to avoid any article with "gay" in the headline.

An easy way to avoid the issue with Mormons is to avoid any article with "Mormon" in the title.

This should help you avoid fatigue while reading such articles.

Regarding your statement, "there should be no need of anyone who is confident in themselves needing to shout to the world their religious preference.", I think reality is polar opposite from your views. It takes an extremely confident person to stand up to the world and declare their religious beliefs.

Hats off to the ~ 60 thousand courageous souls who are currently serving missions!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2013 4:10 p.m.

@md,

In just reading the title of the article, we've already been unnecessarily told the sexual preference choices or religious choices of those we're referring to.

A confident person would not need to look to others to give them a pat on the back for their life choices, whether sexual or religious

• Julie R. Kearns, UT
    April 29, 2013 4:18 p.m.

How very exciting! Having served a mission in France hearing these positive results makes me jump for joy!

@md--I agree with you! When religions of all faiths are being attacked all over the world, it does take a good and courageous person to stand and fight against such evil and instead to show and spread love and goodness. I am so excited for the LDS missionaries of today. What an amazing time to be serving!

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    April 29, 2013 4:55 p.m.

@ Chris B

You really are a piece of work. It isn't a matter of being confident. It is a matter of people being happy with who they are and what they believe, and wanting to share with others that which gives them joy.

How is it any different than your constant claims of "I love my BCS membership"?

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    April 29, 2013 4:58 p.m.

@Chris B

"...there should be no need of anyone who is confident in themselves needing to shout to the world their religious preference."

"Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee." ~ Isaiah 12:6

By the way other religions have followed suit with similar campaigns of their own - possibly patterned after this (I'm a Mormon) and others by the LDS Church.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 29, 2013 5:37 p.m.

This is awesome!

• George New York, NY
    April 29, 2013 5:51 p.m.

They have run a similar campaign in NY and it was done very tastefully.

@chris b
    I am so sorry that the rest of us live in your world, it must be very difficult to endure us.

• MDixon Logan, UT
    April 29, 2013 6:28 p.m.

@ChrisB

The following is not meant to offend or disfellow but to create question..It doesn't take a genius to see that there are secret combinations of corrupted men and women within nearly every form government and media assertion in our nation. So when people want the truth between the lies where do they go, where do you go?

Why is it that everyone in the liberal world has their opinion and informs you but every time a mormon states his or her christian belief, which was the very same foundation in which our constitution and country were built off of, they get chastised? If I was not a LDS member in my logical mind I would still wonder why everyone despises them when a mormon speaks out about his christlike belief.. that should tell you something.

As part of a belief of the LDS church and assumably all the christian world, it is said that we are to preach unto all ends of the earth to repent and come unto Christ, the 'I'm a Mormon' campaign certainly may be considered part of that process to reach all four quarters of the earth. Luv ya my brother. Thanks.

• Mr. One Two Layton, UT
    April 29, 2013 6:48 p.m.

People, please understand that the video accompanying the story is not an actual news report but a Public Relations piece put together by the Church. To make it appear as a news report is simply an attempt to manufacture credibility. The reason there is no negative comments is because they were left on the cutting room floor. Also note when the actor/anchor says that that since the campaign begun that interest in the Mormon Church has in increased with articles in multiple newspapers, the articles shown are all about "The Book of Mormon" musical and not the church, but they fly by so quickly they are difficult to read. She also says the campaign is dispelling many misbeliefs about the church, but doesn't say what any of them are. In 5:30 there is no mention of doctrine and very little mention of Jesus Christ except for in the name of the church. I do give the church props for conducting a very slick PR campaign, but please see this for what it is.

• George New York, NY
    April 29, 2013 6:52 p.m.

@MDixon

Chris B has a great deal of destain for the liberal media. He occasionally sings the praises of the LDS church when they say things he agrees with, I have yet to see him ever admit the liberal media every said anything agreeable. It is pretty much impossible to live peacefully in his world so try to not take it personal.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 29, 2013 9:36 p.m.

It doesn't matter how bright the backgrounds or the smiles, in your personal interactions you make or break the perceptions people have of "Mormons".

• J.D. Aurora, CO
    April 29, 2013 9:53 p.m.

I guess, I would just have to ask why we would spend so much time and attention pointing specifically to the fact that "I'm a Mormon", and so little emphasis on "I'm a disciple of Jesus"? It's like being Mormon is more important for us to promote than following Jesus is.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    April 30, 2013 12:31 a.m.

@Mr. One Two

You realize this is the Deseret News, right? The article also obviously states, "In a new video released by the mormon.org.uk newsroom" which suggests it is produced by the LDS church.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 30, 2013 9:14 a.m.

@ Chris B,

This "I'm a Mormon" campaign didn't just fall out of the sky - it was launched in NYC and London in response to the hateful and irreverent spoof on Mormons - "The Book of Mormon", which portrays us as complete dolts and idiots while being offensive to all religion. Look up a few of the song lyrics...

I've lived and travelled all over the world, and say it's about time people got an idea of what we look like, do for a living, how we live in our communities and families, and what we believe. We don't live in an Information Age, but rather a Mis-information Age. So we've decided to control the message of who we are.

• Paul in MD Montgomery Village, MD
    April 30, 2013 9:34 a.m.

From what I've seen, the point of the I'm a Mormon campaign is to dispel myths about what we are and aren't, to bring to peoples' attention that we aren't some little group of weirdos sequestered in a far corner of the world. We're all over the world, in most folks' neighborhoods, living ordinary lives, with the same challenges, responsibilities, concerns and passions that everyone else has. Yes, our beliefs differ, but you don't have to look far to find two people who can say that about each other.

Sitting quietly in the Salt Lake Valley doesn't do much to tell people who and what we are. Getting the message out takes a bit of stretching outside the comfort zone. It's true of full-time missionaries, it's true of individuals and families, and it's true of the Church.

I'm sure the reaction in London and elsewhere isn't 100% positive. So what?

Some of my friends have posted videos on the I'm a Mormon site, and I haven't seen one yet that is anything but sincere and well done.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2013 12:41 p.m.

Mr. One Two

"People, please understand that the video accompanying the story is not an actual news report but a Public Relations piece put together by the Church."

Thanks for sharing, but most people who saw "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" prominently displayed in the lower right portion of the entire video are smart enough to figure out that the video was produced by LDS Church.

• Mr. One Two Layton, UT
    April 30, 2013 12:53 p.m.

So why make look like a news report if not to manufacture credibility? Are you sure that if someone stumbled across this on YouTube that they would realize it was the church and not a real story? What of my other issue that none of the "increased" stories about the church shown are about the church or it's campaign, but about the "Book of Mormon" musical? Why no mention of doctrine? Why no mention of Jesus Christ or his teachings? It's all just a feel good piece for church members by church members. Look how great we are.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    April 30, 2013 1:20 p.m.

@Mr. One Two

The Church does not need to "manufacture" credibility. It has millions of good people among its membership that provide "credibility" on a daily basis to friends, work associates, and others with whom they come in contact. Thanks for trying, but the "stretch" is just too much for most thinking people. Would that every institution in this world do as much for the people of the world as the LDS Church.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Mr. One Two

"Why no mention of doctrine? Why no mention of Jesus Christ or his teachings?"

Have you ever watched any of the "I'm a Mormon" videos?

They're filled with Mormons talking about how the teachings of Jesus Christ have influenced their lives for good?

That's the whole point of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign, to spark an interest in people who are unaware of these videos and get them check them out.

• George New York, NY
    April 30, 2013 4:58 p.m.

eastcoastcoug
    I never bothered seeing the "book of Mormon" play so I cannot comment on its offensiveness but I can tell you the very fact the play was done got a lot of people in NY curious about the LDS church and I got a lot of questions when people found out I was originally from Utah. The overwhelming majority of the questions and comments were actually very respectful of the LDS church. My point being not that being offensive is alright but rather on the bright side maybe something good for the LDS church came out of a bad play.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    April 30, 2013 5:29 p.m.

@A Scientist

"Whatever good public relations is gained for the Church by these expensive ad campaigns in the UK are directly offset by the negative public relations created by LDS commenters on these articles."

Considering that your posts, on the DN and other places you haunt in various guises around the web, consistently mock and humiliate Mormons, tar them with negative stereotypes, encourage others to see them as stupid, and otherwise try to portray them as an "Other" that should be feared and loathed, I think you have absolutely zero business calling out Mormons -- either as individual commenters or as a general group -- when it comes to negativity.

• Mr. One Two Layton, UT
    April 30, 2013 5:56 p.m.

Mr. Gravy, Maybe you are correct. Maybe the church doesn't need to "manufacture credibility." If that is correct, then why do it? If if you ignore that part of my comment, what of my other issues with the video and the campaign? Why use clips from articles about the "Book of Mormon" musical when commenting on increased press about the church? Why will no one comment on the lack of Christ, his teachings, or of church doctrine in the video? All I see is 5-and-a-half minutes of trying to convince people that Mormons are normal.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    April 30, 2013 11:42 p.m.

Res Novae
    amen to your comment

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    May 2, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Res Novae,

You prove my point.

When you assert that you are Chosen by God, you must live by a different standard. Since I don't claim that, I live to the standard of truth. I only say and write what is true about the LDS. I have no obligation to be "nice".

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 3, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Re: the Scientist's "standard of truth." Who is more arrogant, one who claims to be "Chosen by God", or one who sees himself as intellectual, enlightened, and informed by hard scientific data? Who is more wise, one who attempts to operate on faith in God, or one who won't accept any idea unless it can be proven empirically?

Someone once confusedly queried "What is truth?" and shortly thereafter, by his own admission, sent an innocent accused man to the cross. We'd all be more wise to be careful how we deal with the subject of truth.

• Oceanside Utah/outside of Utah, UT
    May 3, 2013 10:10 p.m.

@Mr. One Two

I'm confused as to what point you are making. The article states that this video was done by "mormon.org.uk newsroom" (Deseret News nor any national news corp). It states this clearly in the article as well as making this a convenient link you can click for more info, and the church's name is in the bottom corner of the video the entire time. The video was made to show the positive spin coming from this ad campaign only, not to talk about "doctrine", "misbeliefs", the play (although it mentions it and you can find more info about that and the ad campaigns purpose all over the net as well as on some of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint's public websites. I see no hidden agenda here, it's very clear.

• MaryannT ,
    May 12, 2014 1:39 a.m.

I am very happy to see this. I admire Alex's enthusiasm. Learning more about others, regardless of our religious views, helps draw people closer. We need to overcome our prejudices and be open to learning about all people.