Utah

Romney gives religious, tweetable remarks at Southern Virginia University graduation

Comments

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 27, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I enjoyed the article. Mr. Romney vertainly has filled the shoes of what he encourages the graduates to do with their lives. And even though he has been very successful, I am certain, like everyone else, his life has had personal challenges and disappointments. But he is a fine example of how one need not think the world owes them a living or even cares about anyone in particular. With help from above, each can find their own worth and help others as well.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    April 27, 2013 4:00 p.m.

President Romney? America missed a great opportunity!

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 27, 2013 4:21 p.m.

My family and I were excited to be there. Brother Mitt gave a great talk, and Brother Burke wrote a great article about it. I'm wondering how we're going to top this next year...

• Remay1 Kaysville, UT
    April 27, 2013 7:06 p.m.

Reading Mr. Romney's speech makes many of us anguish over his improbable loss of the recent presidential election. What a fine president he would have made! How sad for the American people that we will most certainly never be able to benefit from his obvious skills and talents. Too bad! Instead we are stuck for three more years with a president who possesses neither the skills nor the ability to provide able leadership.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    April 27, 2013 8:08 p.m.

TG: How about his lovely wife, Anne!

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    April 27, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Mitt Romney's job was to win the majority of Americans over. He failed. He has no one to blame than himself and his own party.

If Obama can't lead then how did he get Osama, pass health care, raise taxes on the richies, and get the economy back on track?

I love when repubs act like he can't so anything but then blast him for doing so much.

We clearly aren't missing out on Romney's flip flopping and pandering to the far right.

• mytymouse09 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 27, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Great article. Mitt would have made a wonderful president, America truly blew it this last election. Anne would have been a great 1st lady, she is one classy, dignified lady.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    April 27, 2013 10:24 p.m.

The Real Maverick: I think Republicans don't say he hasn't accomplished much. What I hear them say is that he has the wrong priorities and has be a very devisive president. For example, at least half of the country would rather forget Obamacare. He is pretty free at using our tax dollars but limited in using his own. Romney, on the other hand, has been and is very generous in giving his wealth to help others. Remember, a generous person isn't one who uses others money but one who is willing to use his own to help others. Obama isn't even close.

• Sentinel Ogden, UT
    April 27, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Some may not know the following about Mitt Romney: while serving his mission in France, he served as assistant to the mission president. One day, he was driving, along with other missionaries and the mission mother. They were involved in a horrific car accident. The mission mother was killed, Mitt was injured. When Mitt's father, in the states, found out about the accident, he called French officials to find out how his son was. He was told Mitt had died in the accident. Gratefully, he had not.

The death of the mission mother sent the entire mission into deep depression, including the mission president himself. Mitt then served as co-president, helping the missionaries and president keep going and keeping the mission going. Serving other missionaries, serving and loving the French people was the only desire that Mitt had.

I think that is a remarkable story and one that highlights the strength of Mitt's character.

• freedom in 2017 paradise, UT
    April 28, 2013 5:53 a.m.

Get real, Maverick. your community organizer was elected because he promises things to people by using other people's money to pay for it. These are tough times and o is not going to make them easier. America will look back as the two terms of o as a time the country began it's nose drive downward. Hopefully, after o goes, we can get a true leader, one that actually was successful prior to running.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 28, 2013 6:45 a.m.

@ The Real Maverick: "Mitt Romney's job was to win the majority of Americans over. He failed."

Actually, Mitt didn't fail, the majority of the American people failed. And they are going to pay for that decision. Most of those things that Obama "accomplishes" will hurt the nation. Obama got the economy back on track??? Give me a break. We're following Greece.

Let me give you an analogy to my statement above that the American people failed: Many people who read the Book of Mormon think it is on trial. If they don't agree that it is true, the Book of Mormon failed to convince them. But really, those who read it are the ones on trial, and those who reject it have failed the test.

It is truly sad that so many people were bamboozled by Obama's failed promises, didn't see past all his corrupt cronies, ignored Fast & Furious and Benghazigate, had no problem with passing a huge bill no one had read much less comprehended, which raises costs, and fell for his promise to give them everything they wanted.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 28, 2013 8:26 a.m.

I'm glad things turned out the way they did. The sort of thing reflected here today would have been amplified into an insufferable maudlin adoration had he won.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    April 28, 2013 8:50 a.m.

The Real maverick: Let’s dissect it for a moment. Health care was forced down our throats when we didn’t want it. Congressmen were threatened with loss of $ to run on next time, even put up a candidate favored to run against them. Nancy P insisted that “we have to pass it to know what’s in it” It is a massive takeover of 20% + of our economy. It is 1000’s of ages that no one read. When you look at how the other sections of gov are very generous with our $, you think this is going to work out well? They now say prices are going to skyrocket. Panels will decide when you are over the age of getting care (I am now over that age). BTW, Dr’s are retiring, we are adding 20+ millions to the insurance rolls – how are we going to pay for it?
    Taxes on the rich! Well they will survive, but the rest of us may not because our taxes are going up too.

• trueamerican Huntsville, AL
    April 28, 2013 9:09 a.m.

RealMaverick: You think the economy is back on track? Wow! All I can say to that is, "Wow!"

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    April 28, 2013 10:38 a.m.

re: bandersen

Didn't your mom tell you, "Its no use crying over spilled milk?"

re: RG post #1

The only person that would brother more in such a short span is Hulk Hogan.

• rhappahannock Washington, DC
    April 28, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Nice that Romney got to speak at Southern Virginia U. My son has done EFY there a few times, and it has been a powerful spiritual experience for him.

But, it also made me think of other places in the world in need of an LDS school. For example, in Ghana while elementary education is compulsory, there is only room for 25% of those students to make it into high school. There is a clear and present need for an LDS high school/college prep school in Ghana to serve one of the nations where the church is currently growing the fastest.

Mitt Romney could make a huge difference for the Church in Africa by helping start an LDS high school/college prep school. It would also do wonders for the political aspirations of his sons. Doing this would be "launching into the deep" for Mitt - which is just what he counseled SVU grads to do.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 28, 2013 1:10 p.m.

to rhappahannock...

I like your idea. The only way to make it better would be to have Willard be there (not here) to spearhead it.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    April 28, 2013 1:20 p.m.

It wasn't a financial train wreck, just a train wreck, and it had to do with the implementation, because a lot of states haven't even started the process. So you do misquote when you say "financial."

BTW, only patriotic Americans voted for BO!!

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    April 28, 2013 1:37 p.m.

ThomasJefferson:

Actually, that "leading Democrat" (Sen. Max Baccus, MT.) said that the "trainwreck" isn't the ACA itself, but the problems with implementing it, which mainly comes from Republicans at the federal and state level who are choosing to pout and throw tantrums instead of giving lawfully passed legislation a chance to fully go into effect. To quote Baucus himself, "This is good law, but it can't work if people don't understand it."

The Republican Party is no longer interested in governing, and they're going to have to run on more than just trying to get President Obama out of office. Can they?

• higv Dietrich, ID
    April 28, 2013 2:54 p.m.

Rhapp the church does have some High School and grade schools in Mexico and the Pacific. However they close them down if the feel public education is adequate. Don't know about quality of education in West Africa however church small percentage of people over there. President Hinckley in a few priesthood sessions when asked why the church does not have more colleges repeatedly said funding not there.

So I don't think there will be more High Schools or Colleges anytime soon. IN fact the High School in Mexico was shut down for MTC and I will not be surprised to see all the schools in the Pacific to be shut down in the near future.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2013 3:34 p.m.

What a great man. It is definitely America that lost the election, not Romney. If not closing Guantanamo, balloning the debt, lying about not raising taxes for the middle class, failing to stimulate jobs, enacting a health plan that is neither universal or affordable, taking on the hopeless Afghanistan war as his own, breaking his promise to make his administration including the DOJ transparent, taking credit for allowing the military to get bin Laden, being one of the most partisan presidents ever and playing more golf than Clinton is the far left's definition of success, I am grateful that Mr. Obama has not been a failure.

• Bee Careful Kaysville, UT
    April 28, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Real Maverick: Obama has no real accomplishments. He has set us on a couse that will ultimately destroy us. No country has ever long endured where the government has over-taxed the producers to give money to the non-producers. We will soon become Greece. It's inevitable!

• John Armstrong Buena Vista, VA
    April 28, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Brother Romney's advice to recent college graduates was excellent: get married, have children, work hard, and serve God by serving our fellow human beings. I also love it that he stressed the unimportance to God of whether we become wealthy, famous, or powerful. It was a thoughtful, well-prepared, and concise speech. Thank you, Mitt!

As for my fellow commenters, please drop your pseudonyms and use your real names on this and other sites. It's the admirable thing to do.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    April 28, 2013 7:30 p.m.

xscribe: correction to your insensitive comment - only patriotic Americans vote.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    April 28, 2013 8:25 p.m.

maclouie: Oh,sorry! I learned that from a lot of other posters, who identify themselves as conservative and the only ones who are patriotic. I thought that's how this little game is played,

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    April 28, 2013 9:45 p.m.

Hank Pym: Indeed! My wife taught me that one. However, knowing full well that people returning to God is a far more potent power for change than anything a politician does, whether
    Republican or Democrat. America would have had stronger leadership with Romney just based on his exemplary life. BO seems like a good husband and father, perhaps is best legacy. The fact that BO was elected gives everyone a chance to evaluate what his leadership has done for 8 years. I'm certain they will come to regret that decision. Perhaps after 8 years of BO, Americans might be ready for someone that will help them see, as we see from Romney's life, that government is not the answer to their problems. One man or women, exercising faith and dependent on God, can really make a difference, something readily apparent with Ann and Mitt Romney. The future greatness of any country will be built on individuals remaining true to core principles, such as work, family, service, and God

• Mich70 Litchfield, MI
    April 29, 2013 12:11 a.m.

You can tell how people really think the hidden camera is rolling..

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    April 29, 2013 5:31 a.m.

xscribe: regarding your insensitive comment: it is patriotic Americans that vote.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2013 8:54 a.m.

The majority of Americans don't deserve capable, responsible leadership that Mitt Romney would have provided.

American greatness is over, because the greatness in Her people is diminishing.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 29, 2013 9:32 a.m.

I watched Stossel last night on Fox News. The regulations regarding Obama Care can't help but screw things up worse and make it impossible to find a doctor if you are on Medicare. The current regulation stack is 7 feet high and getting higher.

By the way, we only have the white southern evangelicals to thank for Obama being re-elected. They said this morning on the news that more blacks voted than whites in the last election for president. The blacks really need to take a look at just what the Democrats promise them and then don't deliver so they can quit drinking the Democrat Koolaid.

Romney gave a great talk to those students. It is an indicator of the type of man that he is. He would have been a great president. He would have been in it for the right reasons. Not because of his ego like Obama.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    April 29, 2013 1:18 p.m.

@xscribe, keep drinking the dem. coolaid. You certainly aren't being patriotic with insensitive comments like that. They show what kind of "patriot", and type of person, you really are.

I thought Romney's speech was right on, and a great speach for the graduates to hear as they embark on the next phase of life. What a great example in Romney and his wife for them to see and how to shape their lives. The American people really blew it by not electing him.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Who?

• Badger55 Nibley, Ut
    April 30, 2013 8:08 p.m.

Real Maverick,
    SEAL team six got Osama. he passed healthcare with dem majority in both the house and the senate. And now, dems are starting to turn on that same healthcare. The Country is finding out that it is not very good legislation(SCOTUS pointed that out a while ago) I am not rich and my taxes have gone up. The economy is far from back on track. More like dead in the water. Lowest labor participation rate since 1979 (63.3%). Keep living in a fantasy land.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 1, 2013 9:33 a.m.

xscribe,are you saying that we who voted for Romney aren't patriots? I recall what happened to me way back when Nixon was running against Kennedy. I implied to a Catholic girl we couldn't trust Kennedy because of his religion. Her words: "I resent that, sir!" It's a lesson I never forgot. Not only was she beautiful, but much more informed on the issues than I was. I got quickly stuck in a male chauvinist hole!

• DAVE IN NC HOPE MILLS, NC
    May 1, 2013 5:38 p.m.

I actually thought the Economy "CONTRACTED" last quarter?

• DAVE IN NC HOPE MILLS, NC
    May 1, 2013 5:41 p.m.

"O" can't even pass a budget. I hear he likes to Golf though!

• Jennifer Beck Idaho Falls, ID
    May 1, 2013 11:59 p.m.

My daughter graduated last Saturday from SVU and we attended the commencement ceremony. Mitt Romney is truly an amazing man. All through his speech I wondered "what could have been" if the American People had not been so brain washed into believing BO's lies. While other famous people are demanding a lot of money to speak at commencements, Mitt traveled to Southern Virginia at his own expense and delivered his address free of charge. I highly recommend going to SVU.EDU and reading the entire speech.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 2, 2013 7:21 a.m.

Jennifer,

I am sure that Mr. Romney gave a wonderful speech, for the audience that was there. The things he said resonated with the students and parents of SVU. The problem is that the people at the SVU graduation who I am sure are fine and wonderful people do not represent the majority of America. Personally I am similar in many ways to those who were there. I am LDS, in my mind I am conservative (I am sure some would differ)I am caucasian and I have been happily married to the same woman for 29 years.

I didn't vote for Mr. Romney, and I wasn't "brain washed". I voted for President Obama, because I thought he was the better of two poor candidates. I looked carefully at Mr. Romney's economic plan which I believe was not friendly to the middle class. It relied on rich people making even more money and then being generous enough to share some of that with their employees. I believed in Reagan's trickle down economics, but the last thirty taught me that trickle down economics works in principle not practice.