BYU basketball: Reserve guard Raul Delgado has decided to transfer

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 26, 2013 8:00 p.m.

Rose hinted that attrition could happen with one or two players.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    April 26, 2013 9:17 p.m.

I hope the new SLCC signee reads this as his signing had the same hoopla that Delgado's signing had when he signed. The JC game is so different it's hard to compete right away.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 26, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Unfortunately, Delgado never found his groove at BYU. Hopefully for Raul, a change of scenery will improve his basketball fortunes.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 26, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Yeah, I kind of expected this.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 26, 2013 11:36 p.m.

Sorry it didn't work out so well for Delgado at BYU, I wish him well wherever he goes.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    April 27, 2013 12:33 a.m.

I wish him well.

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    April 27, 2013 4:50 a.m.

Wow, I hope he doesn't transfer to a WCC school...especially a power house like San Diego or USF...they have BYU trouble this year...he could be the difference maker if that happens...

Wonder what Mildred in Fillmore thinks???

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    April 27, 2013 6:47 a.m.

Honestly I am not disappointed at all that he is leaving. He isn't very good.

• truebluecougar Orem, Utah
    April 27, 2013 6:52 a.m.

Roul, although a good shooter, never demonstrated the ablility to play defense, racking up foul after foul. The Rose program is based on solid defense and Roul didn't seem to understand that part of the game. I wish him well in his new endeavor and hope he finds success. JC transfers need more than a record of making threes. A complete game is required to compete and contribute for a position at BYU. Difficult transition for all JC transfers including Ambresino.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 27, 2013 6:53 a.m.

Good luck to Raul wherever he ends up.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 27, 2013 7:43 a.m.

"has decided to transfer..." what a generous set of words for, in reality, he was shown the door and decided to take it. Nothing wrong with Rose showing the exit to players who are not performing or contributing. Welcome to reality. However, Delgado would be far better off to just hang up the gym shoes and get his degree from BYU than transfer to UVU or some other school for one year.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 27, 2013 11:17 a.m.

I agree with the comments about Delgado just not being very good. I was never impressed with him when he was on the court and he did just plain look lost. I hope wherever he lands he has success, but Division I ball just may be above his abilities.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    April 27, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Delgado and Ambrosino were both poor choices and demonstrated that Rose needs to work much harder at recruiting -- and bring in an assustabt coach who can help big men.

• THE MTN MAN Taylorsville, UT
    April 27, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Delgado is a Utah kid, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in-state. Weber has a great program and just lost Scott Bamforth, so maybe Delgado could find some playing time there. Hope he does well wherever he goes.

• lloyd braun ogden, utah
    April 27, 2013 5:43 p.m.

True Blue Cougar... Surely you can't be serious. "I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley". Rose is a good coach, but if you really believe his emphasis is on defense, you have definitely been watching a different team than I have. They are bad defenders, and play zone 90% of the time. Jimmer never played defense while he was there, and the current Cougs play o.k. in zone, but are awful man defenders. Please don't say Delgado couldn't play because of his defense. Bad offense maybe, but not defense.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    April 27, 2013 9:28 p.m.

Best wishes to him. This is a win/win for both the player and BYU.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    April 28, 2013 1:07 p.m.

Jimmer is to the kings as Delgado was to BYU.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 29, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Louisiana Cougar

Pineville, LA

Louisiana Cougar, are you for real? Rose just pulled the best recruiting class BYU has probably ever had. Sure, two JUCO's didn't workout but, I'd be more inclined to judge by the four year recruits...

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 10, 2013 1:49 a.m.

I think that Raul just never found his confidence... I do think that he has the potential to be a streak shooter and could possibly help a program... Perhaps a team like the Utes could use him... They are in desperate need of someone who can shoot the ball from outside.